The Melbourne Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Re: The Melbourne Saints

ausfatcat wrote:
Verdun66 wrote:Upsides would outweigh the downsides surely. I am greedy for success, and this might be a way.
See your name?, there would be no "66" we would take on Melbourne's heritage probably and the saints history would be a foot note in Wikipedia, if your desperate for success go barrack for the team winning in the Grandfinal with 5 mins to go, I would get the same satisfaction thrills out of that as a Melbourne Saints fan, espeacially with all the after game arguing with your own supporters over how many premierships have been won by the side. 2?, 13?, 14?
There will always be '66.......

I'm not going to get into an emotional argument about it and I did say it would have to be favoured our way. Probably why nothing will happen.

But nothing would surprise me. I have a mate who swears we are off to be based in NZ in future years. Not for a minute do I think that is remotely possible, but down the line I would rule nothing out with these AFL people.

I went for the North Sydney Bears in Rugby League, and they got shafted big time. I have bitter memories of that situation.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Haven't read the whole thread but get the gist from the thread title and have had a brief think about it and I'm not sure I would be too opposed to it.

I reckon you could put together a pretty strong club with a very long term future if you merged two clubs. It made Brisbane a very strong club and set up AFL in a non AFL state and I can only imagine what could be achieved if it was done in footy mad state like Victoria.

As I said haven't put too much thought into it and would probably be against if I thought we would lose any of our identity or history. The Lions seemed to manage that reasonably well though.
im not sold that two Vic clubs merging would work honestly your talking about generations of rivalry some how joining and becoming one happy unit ?!?! cant see it working not without scrapping all the history and starting fresh ... but merging with a non-victorian club who hasnt really build a history of its own therefore allowing a club to accept the vics club history as their own and just tacking their short history to the back end worked well for the Brions ... GWS i reckon is going to be that prime target for merger .. imagine the GWS Bulldogs ?
You make a good point. What would happen though if a Victorian club, say Melbourne, were bankrupt and went into liquidation and the AFL decided they weren't going to bail them out of trouble, what would happen to all of the players? Is there something in an AFL contract that takes that scenario into account. Be nice to pick up most of the good young blokes from Melbourne. Ox was saying on SEN this afternoon that Melbourne is a whisker away from suffering the same fate as Fitzroy. Sounds serious.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Haven't read the whole thread but get the gist from the thread title and have had a brief think about it and I'm not sure I would be too opposed to it.

I reckon you could put together a pretty strong club with a very long term future if you merged two clubs. It made Brisbane a very strong club and set up AFL in a non AFL state and I can only imagine what could be achieved if it was done in footy mad state like Victoria.

As I said haven't put too much thought into it and would probably be against if I thought we would lose any of our identity or history. The Lions seemed to manage that reasonably well though.
im not sold that two Vic clubs merging would work honestly your talking about generations of rivalry some how joining and becoming one happy unit ?!?! cant see it working not without scrapping all the history and starting fresh ... but merging with a non-victorian club who hasnt really build a history of its own therefore allowing a club to accept the vics club history as their own and just tacking their short history to the back end worked well for the Brions ... GWS i reckon is going to be that prime target for merger .. imagine the GWS Bulldogs ?
You make a good point. What would happen though if a Victorian club, say Melbourne, were bankrupt and went into liquidation and the AFL decided they weren't going to bail them out of trouble, what would happen to all of the players? Is there something in an AFL contract that takes that scenario into account. Be nice to pick up most of the good young blokes from Melbourne. Ox was saying on SEN this afternoon that Melbourne is a whisker away from suffering the same fate as Fitzroy. Sounds serious.

The contract TV contract says there must be 9 games a week for the next 4 years or close to it. No club is going anywhere until the next contract at least.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Cairnsman wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

This last part is what I've been thinking. They will go to the wall. Their players must be extremely hacked off, and next year some poor kid who is a jet will go to them drafted 1, 2, or 3. I started thinking about it in regards to Frawley. What does he do next year if he really wants out, and if by chance he wants to come to us? Does he price himself out of it to other clubs, go in the draft and again ask too much? Melbourne might have to take whatever we or someone else give them in terms of compensation. Howe is uncontracted apparently along with others.

Dees supporters must be suicidal.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

For some success,

I'd do a deal with the devil (demon)

Much better to be the strong part of a merge, and keep some tradition

Than be taken over at some stage....

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I didnt make it past the first post.

Kinda like masterbating with a cheese grater.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Are people actually being serious. I thought it was a joke because it clearly is.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Gee wiz.
Getting our hands on their exceptionally talented list would be awesome.

They might drag themselves out of the spa to make it to training .... now and then.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Our club, our colors, their name, their ground. We can wear red and blue on heritage round, and put 'vale MFC' on our backs.
We get first choice of their players.
Then it's ok with me!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Our club, our colors, their name, their ground. We can wear red and blue on heritage round, and put 'vale MFC' on our backs.
We get first choice of their players.
Then it's ok with me!

If it was Melbourne Demons I wouldnt care what colours they are wearing. It wouldnt be us.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Unacceptable.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I'm by no means decided. This was supposed to be a hyperthetical not a suggestion.
So once again the details are (and some added clarifications)
Merger
Afl sweeteners
Mcg home ground
3 flags within this decade

Would ya take it?

#1 Ryder fan
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Are people actually being serious. I thought it was a joke because it clearly is.
It's a valid discussion IMO. Companies go bust. It's a fact in business and from the sounds of what Ox was saying today on SEN it sounds like they are sailing very close to the wind the moment. However from what you say the AFL are obliged to bail them out even if they do become insolvent during the current TV deal but it is hard to believe that the AFL would be that incompetent by backing themselves into a corner like that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Are people actually being serious. I thought it was a joke because it clearly is.
It's a valid discussion IMO. Companies go bust. It's a fact in business and from the sounds of what Ox was saying today on SEN it sounds like they are sailing very close to the wind the moment. However from what you say the AFL are obliged to bail them out even if they do become insolvent during the current TV deal but it is hard to believe that the AFL would be that incompetent by backing themselves into a corner like that.

In 4 years it will be another club. This discussion may have some merit if the TV rights were up this year. by the way i think Melbourne are better off money wise than our club. They got rid of all their dept. We havent.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:I propose a merger. Gives us home games at the G and a heap of afl sweeteners leading to our first GF win of 3 a la Brisbane.

Please discuss

Also note I have deliberately chosen Melbourne over the roos / doggies as I think as a club they have more value (the mcg)
IDIOT!!!!

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Stillwaiting wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:Well if they gave us the same hand out as the brions, and we were gifted a few flags, had our debt wiped out, given there best playes(if they have any) played all away games at the G, we wear our jumper, then maybe we could let them put the demons logo on the players jocks, that would work for me.
But do we have to train at Casey? :evil:

No, The AFL will rebuild Moorabbin and we will play our home games there.
What a beautiful dream. We can only hope.

Greg T
Club Player

Hideous idea,
Let them merge or take them to tassie.
Too fuckedup to even contemplate the Melb saints......
The AFL wont let them fold
Was always going to happen having so many sides in the comp IMO

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:To my way of thinking there’s about four scenarios in regards to the future of our club. Everyone’s got different views on these things but for me I would rank those scenarios in order of preference as:

1. Continue to operate as St Kilda and be based in Victoria,

2. Merge with another Victorian club with the retention of either St Kilda or Saints and with retention of our colours,

3. Relocate but continue to be the Saints and to wear the Red, White & Black,

4. Merge with another Victorian club with retention of either St Kilda or Saints but with the loss of our colours.

If worse came to worst and we ended up with scenario 2 then I would probably continue to support the club pretty much as I do now.

If it were scenario 3 then I’d continue to follow the club but I suspect my enthusiasm would start to wane over time.

But if it were scenario 4 then I think I’d really struggle to maintain an interest in following the AFL.

Like I said; we’re all different.
Any of the above WOULD BE THE END OF THE ST KILDA FC!

Melbourne are in the s*** they're in now because their members sold their souls and voted for a merger with Hawthorn in '97. Hawthorn members rejected it and they've gone from strength to strength. Talk to most Fitzroy supporters and they'll tell you they lost their footy team. Brisbane has nothing to do with Fitzroy (oh I forgot there are some letters on the back collar of their jumpers & they wear a Fitzroy guernsey once every couple of seasons. Whoopee do!) And what on earth has Sydney got to do with South Melbourne?

No different to folding.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Are some of you Andrew Plympton or Don McLardy flying a kite?

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Well don't think too much. How about relocating to Cairns? After 140 years of history, we could change our name to the Melbourne Saints or St Kilda Dees and change our colours to red, white and blue. How about we fold? No different.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

kos wrote:Absolute joke this thread even exists! What's wrong with u people? Do u think Geelong supporters in their spare time imagine what it would be like if they merged with the bulldogs!
Try having a positive winning mentality, we've had a good crack at it, this year we will develop, draft early and reboot for another crack at it.
Piss the thread off!
ABSOLUTELY NUKE THIS OBSCENE THREAD!

Munga
Saintsational Legend

I look at how well our kids are coming along. Then I look at Melbourne and wonder wtf has happened there?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
oh when the wrote:I have thought about mergers years ago - stkilda, bulldogs, demons and north - call Victoria United
Or Victoria Bitter?
Southern saintly demon doggerroos!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Verdun66 wrote:Last night here in the UK I was thinking about posting the same thing. Not the Melbourne Saints, but I was thinking this must end in a merger opportunity. Melbourne are gone. In jest someone said since Norm Smith got the sack, but not far off it. Joe Gutnick etc, etc. They had a brief period where they had an ok side.

Play at the G, lots of new players, draft picks (?), financial incentives. A new super club. Based up in town....

I am not sold if we lose most of our identity, and they are the basket-case, not us. Having said that, we are not overly endowed either.

Upsides would outweigh the downsides surely. I am greedy for success, and this might be a way.

Worth looking at. If the dogs, kangas or carlscum got there first we would be screaming...
Since you're in the UK perhaps you can catch up with the Russian gangster who owns Chelsea FC and ask if he is interested in buying us. Perhaps we could whore ourselves that way. Collingwood, Geelong and Hawthorn have all been on the brink and would not consider such a path. That's the diffrence between winners and losers. If other teams got there first I'D PITY THEIR SUPPORTERS as I pity Fitzroy and South Melbourne supporters who no longer have a club.

Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

If we merged with Melbourne we'ed have to wear tank tops.

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!