Are our seniour players not happy with SW

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are our seniour players not happy with SW

PJ wrote:Jason Akermanis on 5AA - some of the older players may not be happy. Take it for what it's worth. He also said that Gram who is mates with Kosi has said if Kosi doesn't get in again after round 10 he's out of there.
Sounds like complete rubbish to me… Kosi seems to have a pretty good grasp of where he is at.

Where is he going to go? I'm sure he would forfeit half his years salary too…

Aker… quality bloke.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Cairnsman wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Some journalistic legend from a Brisbane newspaper started this rumour about 3 weeks ago. I can't recall his name. No source mentioned. Just threw it out there. Top class journalism. No mention of it anywhere else since. Therefore it must be true. Good grief!
To be fair I think the rumor was started by an SS poster and from there it grew legs. Possible the lazy journalist picked up the story from this site. That's why I started the thread because I was pretty certain where it most likely was coming from. The power of social media huh! Makes Chinese whispers much louder.

Thankfully True Believer, Tony74 and Saintbrat have confirmed that it was nothing.

I believe it was me. I quoted a random line from Andrew Hamilton from News Limited, who from memory stated " there are rumblings of discontent down at StKilda" or words to that extent. No source named, and I think it was just after our loss to Suns at Gold Coast.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Jason Akermanis on 5AA - some of the older players may not be happy. Take it for what it's worth. He also said that Gram who is mates with Kosi has said if Kosi doesn't get in again after round 10 he's out of there.

If it's coming from Gramy then it must be true. He'd have no motivation to knife the club or be bitter now would he? :roll:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:
I believe it was me. I quoted a random line from Andrew Hamilton from News Limited, who from memory stated " there are rumblings of discontent down at StKilda" or words to that extent. No source named, and I think it was just after our loss to Suns at Gold Coast.
pheeeewwww!

I was worried I'd get blamed for this

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
PJ wrote:Jason Akermanis
Who?

PJ
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
dragit wrote:
PJ wrote:Jason Akermanis
Who?
Rhetorical? Condecending? Hmmmm..Intelligent?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

If our players were truly unhappy and there were issues with their relationship with the coach, the likes of Caroline Wilson would have eagerly reported it already.

I think it's all nonsense.

If the senior players can't understand and accept where this team is at, then they're living in a fantasy world.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:If our players were truly unhappy and there were issues with their relationship with the coach, the likes of Caroline Wilson would have eagerly reported it already.

If the senior players can't understand and accept where this team is at, then they're living in a fantasy world.
I fully expect Caro after reading this thread will drop this in soon

"Gary, my thawces tell me there are some senior players not happy with the Watters/Pelchens approach"

Expect no validation and pee weak Gary not to even try and validate

“Yeah….nah””
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Sam Fisher, speaking in Canberra the following week, made it clear that rebuilding was not a popular term among older players, who saw it as a suggestion their careers were rolling to a close. Captain Nick Riewoldt, another passionate card-carrying member of the 2003 Saints players pact, was mildly more enthusiastic and spoke of the responsibility of all senior players at all clubs to help develop younger players. There is no doubt that the senior players had, at the very least, not bought in to the concept that the club, which narrowly missed finals last year, was in some form starting again.

Since the Richmond loss, the club has worked to rewrite its public philosophy. Football boss Chris Pelchen publicly hosed down the rebuild talk earlier this month in what seemed a strategic interview. Watters, like many St Kilda coaches before him, is being encouraged not to let the burdens of a relatively under-resourced club weigh too heavily upon him.
Advertisement

The obvious symbol of St Kilda's position is Brendon Goddard. The Saints chose not to keep him last year and he chose not to stay.

Goddard, too, was part of the agreement during the Grant Thomas era that the group of young stars would stay together until they achieved the ultimate success - but the lure of success, an extra year of football, and an extra estimated $750,000 made him choose Essendon.

That, and the most compelling fact that he felt his old club had not worked as hard as possible to keep him. Only he knows why the pent-up emotion leading up to the Essendon-Saints clash caused him to shed tears after the game, but it seemed significant that he looked a little lost and alone after the siren sounded and was not exactly mobbed by former teammates.

Symbolically again, the club redesigned the Saints' adornments in the Linen House gymnasium at the end of last year. Gone was the large poster of the players - including Goddard - walking onto the ground before one of their three grand finals over 2009 and 2010.

While some senior players raised their eyebrows, the philosophy behind the large new photographs placed around the walls spoke not of removing Goddard but of a new beginning and a refusal to dwell on the past. The sad fact for Riewoldt, Lenny Hayes, Fisher, Nick Dal Santo, Leigh Montagna and Stephen Milne is that a Saints flag will not come for them.

St Kilda's executive was emphatic that it was right not to match the Essendon offer, but the fact remains that some older players remain equally firm that the team was good enough to keep challenging. If the club had to work to regenerate Watters with a dose of optimism, then surely Watters' tough task is to bring his senior group on board.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/n ... z2SqBASfiK

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

cwrcyn wrote:If our players were truly unhappy and there were issues with their relationship with the coach, the likes of Caroline Wilson would have eagerly reported it already.

She wrote something weeks ago, check my post above this one.

Middo
Club Player

Stephen Theodore wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Some journalistic legend from a Brisbane newspaper started this rumour about 3 weeks ago. I can't recall his name. No source mentioned. Just threw it out there. Top class journalism. No mention of it anywhere else since. Therefore it must be true. Good grief!
To be fair I think the rumor was started by an SS poster and from there it grew legs. Possible the lazy journalist picked up the story from this site. That's why I started the thread because I was pretty certain where it most likely was coming from. The power of social media huh! Makes Chinese whispers much louder.

Thankfully True Believer, Tony74 and Saintbrat have confirmed that it was nothing.

Watters Unpopular ..?
Noticed today in our Sunday paper ( QLD ) an article about the Suns and how much they like Guy Mckenna and tacked on the end of it was a note about murmours of increasing dissent amongst players are getting louder about St.Kilda coach Scott Watters..? First time I've heard of any negative comments i...by Middo
Sun 07 Apr 2013 9:50pm

Forum: Saintsational Fan Forum
Topic: Watters Unpopular ..?
Replies: 31
Views: 73

I believe it was me ... :wink: :wink:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:Sam Fisher, speaking in Canberra the following week, made it clear that rebuilding was not a popular term among older players, who saw it as a suggestion their careers were rolling to a close. Captain Nick Riewoldt, another passionate card-carrying member of the 2003 Saints players pact, was mildly more enthusiastic and spoke of the responsibility of all senior players at all clubs to help develop younger players. There is no doubt that the senior players had, at the very least, not bought in to the concept that the club, which narrowly missed finals last year, was in some form starting again.

Since the Richmond loss, the club has worked to rewrite its public philosophy. Football boss Chris Pelchen publicly hosed down the rebuild talk earlier this month in what seemed a strategic interview. Watters, like many St Kilda coaches before him, is being encouraged not to let the burdens of a relatively under-resourced club weigh too heavily upon him.
Advertisement

The obvious symbol of St Kilda's position is Brendon Goddard. The Saints chose not to keep him last year and he chose not to stay.

Goddard, too, was part of the agreement during the Grant Thomas era that the group of young stars would stay together until they achieved the ultimate success - but the lure of success, an extra year of football, and an extra estimated $750,000 made him choose Essendon.

That, and the most compelling fact that he felt his old club had not worked as hard as possible to keep him. Only he knows why the pent-up emotion leading up to the Essendon-Saints clash caused him to shed tears after the game, but it seemed significant that he looked a little lost and alone after the siren sounded and was not exactly mobbed by former teammates.

Symbolically again, the club redesigned the Saints' adornments in the Linen House gymnasium at the end of last year. Gone was the large poster of the players - including Goddard - walking onto the ground before one of their three grand finals over 2009 and 2010.

While some senior players raised their eyebrows, the philosophy behind the large new photographs placed around the walls spoke not of removing Goddard but of a new beginning and a refusal to dwell on the past. The sad fact for Riewoldt, Lenny Hayes, Fisher, Nick Dal Santo, Leigh Montagna and Stephen Milne is that a Saints flag will not come for them.

St Kilda's executive was emphatic that it was right not to match the Essendon offer, but the fact remains that some older players remain equally firm that the team was good enough to keep challenging. If the club had to work to regenerate Watters with a dose of optimism, then surely Watters' tough task is to bring his senior group on board.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/n ... z2SqBASfiK
I agree that the team was good enough to challenge, but the mood of the players in 2011, especially early on in 2011, was such that they mentally weren't prepared to back up and have another fair dinkum crack. It was one of the most frustrating things to watch then and it is now a little annoying to hear stories that these same group of senior players might be grizzling about them believing they might have been good enough to challenge again. In a way, if they did harbor resentment about the club taking the decision to rebuild then they only have themselves to blame because what was the club supposed to do. Everyone could see that they had dropped off in comparison to the previous season so the obvious conclusion was...end of an era.

happy feet
Club Player

Unfortunately for us, the words of the great EJ Whitten ring true . Winners are grin era, losers can please themselves . Just hope it was a level drug free playing field.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

stkildathunda wrote:Sam Fisher, speaking in Canberra the following week, made it clear that rebuilding was not a popular term among older players, who saw it as a suggestion their careers were rolling to a close. Captain Nick Riewoldt, another passionate card-carrying member of the 2003 Saints players pact, was mildly more enthusiastic and spoke of the responsibility of all senior players at all clubs to help develop younger players. There is no doubt that the senior players had, at the very least, not bought in to the concept that the club, which narrowly missed finals last year, was in some form starting again.
sorry to be harsh here but........... they had it in the bag in 09 no fraaking excuses they had the shot they where the best team in the afl with the best game plan, they the team dropped the ball that day in september.. we were the best of the best on 09 beat them all bar 2 and mateeeeeeeeeee rant over. frrack,,,.... the saints players in the 09 team think they found it hard to deal with and shattering try being a supporter some of us have followed week in and out for over 30 bloody years, me personally 23 years ... I can tell you i cried that day we lost i was angry for two weeks after the match knowing that if we couldnt seal it that year could we ever win another bloody flag! upset with watter rebuilding? how about taking it when you have it boys!!!!!!!!!!! a litte harsh but just how i felt when i read some of the comments.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
spert
Saintsational Legend

I would suggest that some of our highly fancied players didn't live up to reputations in the GFs, and that why we didn't win anything. SW will have watched it all and knows where the weaknesses are- mentally and physically.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I would suggest that some of our highly fancied players didn't live up to reputations in the GFs, and that why we didn't win anything. SW will have watched it all and knows where the weaknesses are- mentally and physically.

God you sound like one hard arse. What a load of garbage to suggest that our star players were not good enough given how close we got and how arbitrary and random the end results were.

Look at Nick's mark and Lenny's involvement in this play. Roo takes a pack contested mark on HB with three filth blokes hanging off him then gets it off to Lenny which would have been the play of a life time.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.