Roberton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Roberton

sax wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I assume he is on a two year contract?

Probably the best value contract in the Afl.

This guy is a ten year player for us.
I have a feeling he only signed a one year deal, I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Time to put a new 3 year deal on the table if that is the case!
Sign him up!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Some said he was a spud after the intraclub which I didn't see but was excellent in all NAB games and just hasn't put a foot wrong anywhere. He is composed and attacking. Ross Lyon would hate his forward running style. Dempster still Lyon's the ball backwards when there are several good risky options ahead. He has created a safety first mentality which is hard to break.
Good observations...and I like the new footy phrase - "Lyon's the ball"

When a player looks backwards for an option we now say he "Lyon's the ball" :D :lol: :lol:

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

may be why Freo let him go.
kicking forward not part of the Messiah's strategy!

FQF
SS Life Member

He seems to be Hawthorn's Guerra

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Been excellent but too early to say for sure. Lots of rejects play out of their skins for half a season and then fizzle. Guerra when he came to the Saints was a good example.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Been excellent but too early to say for sure. Lots of rejects play out of their skins for half a season and then fizzle. Guerra when he came to the Saints was a good example.

The same Guerra who is a premiership player and has played 136 games for the Hawks? Hope Roberton 'fizzles' out 136 games and a flag for us in the next 7 years.

I think the trouble with Guerra at the Saints wasnt that he was no good but I think he fell out with GT because he didnt like going over to GTS every weekend to have a bbq and sing Kumbaya my lord.

I also think he was a bit off the rails at that point of his life... which probably didnt help his cause with GT...
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 06 May 2013 1:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Been excellent but too early to say for sure. Lots of rejects play out of their skins for half a season and then fizzle. Guerra when he came to the Saints was a good example.
21 years young, 90 kg & about 190 cm; still young enough to develop more strength and learn his trade.
A reject is usually someone who has spent a lot of time in the system but it didn't work out.
FWIW, a great many of us consider him composed, skilful and courageous.
Is he a Dean Polo or Aaron Fiora? No.
Why did Freo delist him ?
Reportedly wanted to come back to Victoria due to newborn and wanting family support network.
Freo couldn't do a trade in time so delisted him, we got him late Nov as a "free agent" (nice one recruiters!) and he & partner grew up in Frankston, they're back there now "just minutes away from Seaford-very handy" his words.
He was homesick, his actions say he breathes the Fortius motto.
Reject -my sphincter.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:

The same Guerra who is a premiership player and has played 136 games for the Hawks? Hope Roberton fizzles out 136 games and a flag for us in the next 7 years.

I think the trouble with Guerra at the Saints wasnt that he was no good but I think he fell out with GT because he didnt like going over to GTS every weekend to have a bbq and sing Kumbaya my lord.

I also think he was a bit off the rails at that point of his life... which probably didnt help his cause with GT...
Guerra certainly fizzled in the second halves of both 2004 and 2005. Was embarrassingly in two PFs. GT elected to keep Alan Murray instead. Not saying it was the right decision. Guerra found his most suitable position in the backline at the Hawks.

In saying Roberton was a "reject" I'm using the broadest definition, i.e. a player from another club who wasn't exactly the object of a bidding war. And I'm urging caution, because he might be flying under the opposition radar right now (just like he did at trade time). Certainly hope I'm wrong. There were plenty who thought Zac Dawson was the new Bob Murray after about six games.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

I love his attack on the footy. He's been a good news story for us this year! Now I know why some Freo supporters were spewing he left. :D

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

This kid is the biggest steal we've had in a long time. Can play the game and Freo didn't want to lose him. We got him for nothing and he and Geary have been our two most consistent defenders so far this year.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
21 years young, 90 kg & about 190 cm; still young enough to develop more strength and learn his trade.
A reject is usually someone who has spent a lot of time in the system but it didn't work out.
FWIW, a great many of us consider him composed, skilful and courageous.
Is he a Dean Polo or Aaron Fiora? No.
Why did Freo delist him ?
Reportedly wanted to come back to Victoria due to newborn and wanting family support network.
Freo couldn't do a trade in time so delisted him, we got him late Nov as a "free agent" (nice one recruiters!) and he & partner grew up in Frankston, they're back there now "just minutes away from Seaford-very handy" his words.
He was homesick, his actions say he breathes the Fortius motto.
Reject -my sphincter.
Yeah - you cant call a 21 yo homesick guy with a newborn baby a 'reject'. I think realistically he just wanted some family around to support with the baby sitting.
Tough on his partner to be home alone all day with a new kid while hes at work and she has no friends or family to call on in a far away town. Its obviously a genuine issue.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

The same Guerra who is a premiership player and has played 136 games for the Hawks? Hope Roberton fizzles out 136 games and a flag for us in the next 7 years.

Guerra certainly fizzled in the second halves of both 2004 and 2005. Was embarrassingly in two PFs. GT elected to keep Alan Murray instead. Not saying it was the right decision. Guerra found his most suitable position in the backline at the Hawks.

In saying Roberton was a "reject" I'm using the broadest definition, i.e. a player from another club who wasn't exactly the object of a bidding war. And I'm urging caution, because he might be flying under the opposition radar right now (just like he did at trade time). Certainly hope I'm wrong. There were plenty who thought Zac Dawson was the new Bob Murray after about six games.
Fair calls. I think maybe guerra was a bit into the party stuff at that time of his life. Probably why he fitted in better at the hawkers :D :D