Final Team vs Sydney

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Final Team vs Sydney

cwrcyn wrote:Kosi's selection is fair. Mumford and Pyke are big bodied. McEvoy can't possibly take on both of them, and Hickey would get hammered physically.

This is the largest group of inexperienced players we've had on the park since 2003

Lee 1 game
Saunders 0
Murdoch 0
Wright 2
Ross 2
Saad 20
Stanley 25
Dennis-Lane 21
Roberton 41

That's 111 games between 8 players

Highly unlikely we'll win against such a big-bodied experienced team in wet and windy conditions. If we can just look competitive with that line-up I'll be happy. However, we need to be prepared for the distinct possibility of a pasting.
Against Sydney that would be, what, 20 points..?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Ray again seems to be out of watter's thinking. Think we need a bit more experience in that team myself.
Glad Kosi gets a chance, possibly his last, so hope he stands up.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
santazzi
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:Ray again seems to be out of watter's thinking. Think we need a bit more experience in that team myself.
I hope not. I believe this is his 196th game. He needs to make it to 200. Unlike us, quite a few clubs have prospered from the father/son rule. We are not winning the flag this year. We therefore need to think strategically. Insure father/son wins (long term) and play the youngsters (medium term). Our short term fate is in the hands of the gods or the saints.............or what ever you like to believe in........

avid
Club Player

Looks like we're trying NOT to win.
Murdoch and Saunders in the same side? Ridiculous.
Ray is better than at least half a dozen in selected 22.
Why would he be out, unless we've officially given up?
In the circumstances, I don't even mind Kosi in. With a better side around him I think it could have even worked. Now I'm afraid it's just going to look very sad.
Hope I'm wrong of course.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

santazzi wrote:
desertsaint wrote:Ray again seems to be out of watter's thinking. Think we need a bit more experience in that team myself.
I hope not. I believe this is his 196th game. He needs to make it to 200. Unlike us, quite a few clubs have prospered from the father/son rule. We are not winning the flag this year. We therefore need to think strategically. Insure father/son wins (long term) and play the youngsters (medium term). Our short term fate is in the hands of the gods or the saints.............or what ever you like to believe in........
Isn't father son 100 games not 200?

That's if the rule still exist in 20 years!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Ray's kicking was awful against the Bombers, but he wasn't alone, was he? It was clear from last season that Watters had not much faith in him and the trend is continuing. Feel for him, because he's a pretty honest player and seems to get the chop ahead of others when similar performances are put in. Maybe I'm failing to see things that the coach is seeing. I think half back is his best position, but he rarely gets to play there.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, it's an inexperienced side, but the likely lineup is something like this.

Back five: Stanley, Fisher, Dempster, Roberton, Geary
Mid eight: McEvoy, Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Armitage, Steven, Jones, Gilbert
Front five: Riewoldt, Koschitzke, Lee, Saad, Dennis-Lane
Interchange: Wright, Ross, Saunders, (Murdoch sub)

The defence looks solid, it's got height, pace and class so if it had time to gel then it could work well. The forward line looks a bit more dubious. Riewoldt still good, but obviously no idea about Saunders, Lee has only played one game and Saad has had a quiet start to the year. And Kosi. Hard to see a massive score coming from that combo.

And then the midfield actually looks pretty solid. At least ten players in the rotation is a pretty good number, with seven OK-to-good smalls starting on the ground and three kids on the bench. Theoretically this is the right way to blood young midfielders - give them five/ten minutes a quarter at the top level surrounded by experienced class.

I don't think we'll win, but I do think the balance is much better than it was last week.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I thought Ray was terrible for an experienced player last week- we got more out of Seb Ross.

Saunders is one to watch for me. He looks like he has watched heaps of Joel Selwood- hard headed mid. He move nicely from the highlights I have seen of him.

Murdoch I think should be ok too looked pretty solid in the NAB and ready made body.

Kosi will bring our smalls into it. TDL will love getting under his feet with no Milne- I can see a bag from the sandwich.

PJ
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:I thought Ray was terrible for an experienced player last week- we got more out of Seb Ross.

Saunders is one to watch for me. He looks like he has watched heaps of Joel Selwood- hard headed mid. He move nicely from the highlights I have seen of him.

Murdoch I think should be ok too looked pretty solid in the NAB and ready made body.

Kosi will bring our smalls into it. TDL will love getting under his feet with no Milne- I can see a bag from the sandwich.
I hope you are right regarding Kosi and TDL or Kosi and Saunders. They've probably spent a bit of time developing a working relationship at Sandy (I hope)

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Ray faded away last week and like too many of our players, had a bad defensive game. Siposs at the moment reminds me of Robert Eddy, but a better kick..needs to run a bit harder and show a bit more intensity and maybe that will come.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
gringo wrote:I thought Ray was terrible for an experienced player last week- we got more out of Seb Ross.

I hope you are right regarding Kosi and TDL or Kosi and Saunders. They've probably spent a bit of time developing a working relationship at Sandy (I hope)

TDL isn't ever going to get 25 possessions but with 10 he can kick 5 goals. I think Milne getting out of there will help both Saad and the sandwich. Maister is a better defensive forward but we lose the focal point that Kosi brings. I think last weeks four small forwards would have worked better with the Kos or the Hickster to bring the ball to ground.

Richter
SS Life Member

Moorabbin Man wrote: In: J.Koschitzke, S.Dempster, T.Lee, B.Murdoch, J.Saunders
Out: S.Milne (suspended), F.Ray (omitted), B.Maister (hand), T.Milera (omitted), T.Simpkin (omitted).
Average age of OUTs = 27.0 years
Average age of INs = 24.0 years

Total games of OUTs = 500 - average = 100 games
Total games of INs = 338 - average = 67.6 games

--------

What that means is that we have a significantly more youthful team (by 3 years per player) but with only sacrificing 32.4 games per player of experience (equating to around a season and a half of AFL experience).

It's a statistical way of saying that we are blooding youth alongside our existing experience.

Along with fact that this selected side has much more balance - 3 attacking Talls, 1 full time ruck man and 1 ruck/forward, 2 crumbing smalls, loads of mids.... I like it.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
saintly
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
st.byron wrote:I suppose Kosi is in as back-up for Big Ben. Disappointed with this selection. Would rather see Hickey get a go. Can't see the point of playing Koschitzke.
How about Hickey would be backing up after four days?

Sometimes it's about managing the player.....

yep, you can't play hickey after only a 4 day break. Kosi & lee didn'play for the zebs on sunday'

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
True Believer wrote:
st.byron wrote:I suppose Kosi is in as back-up for Big Ben. Disappointed with this selection. Would rather see Hickey get a go. Can't see the point of playing Koschitzke.
How about Hickey would be backing up after four days?

Sometimes it's about managing the player.....

yep, you can't play hickey after only a 4 day break. Kosi & lee didn'play for the zebs on sunday'

Then how can we play 2 young guys in their first game after a 4 day break? I reckon it is very unfair on them.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintly wrote: yep, you can't play hickey after only a 4 day break. Kosi & lee didn'play for the zebs on sunday'

Then how can we play 2 young guys in their first game after a 4 day break? I reckon it is very unfair on them.
Yep, that excuse doesn't hold water

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

One of the kids is obviously going to play a qtr. as a sub. The other as a forward.

Wouldn't surprise me if Siposs came in as a late...

Good to see Seb Ross in the 21. He will add some contested ball winning ability to the midfield.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

plugger66 wrote: yep, you can't play hickey after only a 4 day break. Kosi & lee didn'play for the zebs on sunday'

Then how can we play 2 young guys in their first game after a 4 day break? I reckon it is very unfair on them.[/quote]

You can if Hickey had a niggle and was being managed on Sunday.

Hickey was played out of the square most of the match, and only thrown in to the ruck when they needed to win the game. Your words I believe?

Considering you caught up with Lenny on Sunday at the Zebs match I would have thought he would have caught you up on all this?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
plugger66 wrote: yep, you can't play hickey after only a 4 day break. Kosi & lee didn'play for the zebs on sunday'

You can if Hickey had a niggle and was being managed on Sunday.

Hickey was played out of the square most of the match, and only thrown in to the ruck when they needed to win the game. Your words I believe?

Considering you caught up with Lenny on Sunday at the Zebs match I would have thought he would have caught you up on all this?[/quote]

Yes they are my words but i think or thought he was played that way so he may play this week. Nothing to do with a niggle and when did i ever say i caught up with Lenny on Sunday. Show me one post. Why would you lie to make me look bad. I can do that myself without you lying. Happy to show me the post though. maybe I said it when I was pissed and cant remember.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Yes they are my words but i think or thought he was played that way so he may play this week. Nothing to do with a niggle and when did i ever say i caught up with Lenny on Sunday. Show me one post. Why would you lie to make me look bad. I can do that myself without you lying. Happy to show me the post though. maybe I said it when I was pissed and cant remember.
I didn't say you said anything. I said you caught up with Lenny at the Zeb's game on Sunday. Maybe I got the day wrong.

Didn't see it as an accusation, merely a statement of fact.

IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Yes they are my words but i think or thought he was played that way so he may play this week. Nothing to do with a niggle and when did i ever say i caught up with Lenny on Sunday. Show me one post. Why would you lie to make me look bad. I can do that myself without you lying. Happy to show me the post though. maybe I said it when I was pissed and cant remember.
I didn't say you said anything. I said you caught up with Lenny at the Zeb's game on Sunday. Maybe I got the day wrong.

Well the reason i said that is I doubt you know what i look like so I thought I must have said it.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
True Believer wrote:

Well the reason i said that is I doubt you know what i look like so I thought I must have said it.

Oh, OK....

Well getting back on track, I said I was surprised that you weren't fully across Hickey's situation.....
Last edited by Dis Believer on Thu 25 Apr 2013 1:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Craw
Club Player

For the first time in a long while I will be watching this game with anticipation instead of expectation.

I am looking forward to seeing the future of the STKFC running around cutting their teeth.

It is about time that the Saints get one out of the box ..... fingers crossed.

Not Craw, CRAW!
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

How TDL keeps his spot despite having the body and physicality of a child coupled with average skills and average football smarts...

Ehhh...it's going to be a long year or two

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:It's high risk playing 5 guys who've played 5 games between them. Watters must be developing some strong opinions regarding some senior players.
Have to play them, we need to evolve and that can only happen with these players in the team..

Well done SW......keep bringing them in....

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:
cwrcyn wrote:It's high risk playing 5 guys who've played 5 games between them. Watters must be developing some strong opinions regarding some senior players.
Have to play them, we need to evolve and that can only happen with these players in the team..

Well done SW......keep bringing them in....
Apart from Ray and Blake, which other players have strong opinions for/against?