I don't think we paid overs for lee

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: I don't think we paid overs for lee

BigMart wrote:Saunter should definitely have played AFL many players worse than him did.... Preoccupation with 18yo athletes. Today's mindset... He would have been a certainty in 2001/2.

He was better at 32 than 5 stk fwds he played with in 2009....

Yes everyone got it wrong. he played in 01/02 so how come he wasnt a certainty.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Saunter should definitely have played AFL many players worse than him did.... Preoccupation with 18yo athletes. Today's mindset... He would have been a certainty in 2001/2.

He was better at 32 than 5 stk fwds he played with in 2009....

16 Clubs over 12 years hundreds of recruiters got it wrong. You are right..... :shock:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

My Prediction,

Nathan Wright will be the prize out of this...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Results would indicate that.... He made AFL listed players look silly in the VFL right up to the age of 34. I watched him towell up Michael Jamison one day... Embarrassed him and kicked 8. He relied heavily on delivery, higher standard would have suited him more... He had the uncanny ability to read the game

There are many players that should have played AFL but didn't for a variety of reasons.

Podsiadly was overlooked for 7 years.... Does that make it right...

I was talking to Matthew Rendell at Casey one day and Steve Harrison was dominating the VFL .... I said to him, it's funny how the BOG in a game with 30 afl listed players was not listed... He said Harro was a better player than more than a dozen or more on stk list at the time.... I asked him was it just because he couldn't step up
He said, no, not at all.... It's because they live and hope that kids like Dylan Pfitzner will improve markedly ..... But 90% of the time they don't..... So they then get more kids...

Matty Ferguson played AFL, Justin Sweeney did, Daniel Wulf did, Barry Brooks did, Nick Stone did.... Would you like me to keep going....
As footballers, none could hold a candle to Nick Sautner

There's a player in the MPNFL that has never even played VFL and Rob Harvey rates him as a star, that could have played AFL easily.... But didn't

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sauntner was a gun. I always said Brett Goodes should have played and look at him now. I think Myles sewell was pretty stiff to keep being a super solid player and never even getting a mature rookie spot. Barlow did it.

It looks like Wright and Lee will get to show some of what they were recruited for earlier than we thought they might.