any Saints historians?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: any Saints historians?

Hey Loris and Avid,

Great reading, thanks. Loris I lived in Freo from 1987 - 1993 and then came back to Perth again in 2004. Driving down the Canning Highway past the Raffles I nearly choked. Bloody hell what an eyesore.
But it's happening everywhere.
I bought a place in Byron Bay in 2000 and it was a very different town then. Lots of money has come into town since and the whole character and feel of the place has altered irretrievably. And yep.....exactly what you say. Greedy narrow minded development types who think being in touch with nature is sitting at the Beach Hotel drinking piss. Who can't see that the thing that attracts people to a place is it's uniqueness and character. F*** that - let's make it like everywhere else. Let's build heaps of new apartments. Let's have lots of restaurants serving small portions of linguini with a walnut chilli aioli on big white square plates - and let's double the price. Let's have a bar every fifty metres (with ocean glimpses), sandwiched between Witchery and Esprit and then we can hear doof doof doof doof all day and night. We never have to be without it - farkin hell I hate that bloody bass driven soul numbing shyte - the soundtrack of our lives. That and wacky commercial radio crews. Love 'em. The beaches in Byron are still awesome and the Cape and land around the lighthouse is beautiful and a national park thank god. And the hinterland is great. But the town itself has become just another resort along the coast. And a busy one.

Loved your desription of the outdoor pool. I used to love swimming at Freo pool as well, not so connected to nature, but it's a great feeling swimming along in an outdoor pool.

loris
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Is the Wandiligong pub still packing them in on a Friday night, Loris?
Sadly I haven't been back to Wandi since about 2000, each time I'm back in Victoria, I'm too busy catching up with friends in Melb and travelling down the two peninsulas that I'm neglecting to get up to the Nth East.

So can't tell how it swings these days. I know many years ago it nearly had to close its doors, because of new health regulations. It was going to be too costly to keep it running if it had to adhere to modern legislation. But it pulled through.

Was a great place to spend saturday evening................ community singing seemed to be the go. And the tall tales from the old cattlemen, that used to drive the cattle over the High Country. Definitely wasn't a smoke free environment, that is for sure.

It was a tradition Sat eve to duck out of the backdoor of the pub as the sun was setting over the mountain ridge, grab a fishing line, dash down to Morse's Creek, because 'the hatch' was starting and all the trout would be at the top of the water trying to get the insects. Whatever fish you caught, you took it straight back to the pub and the Chef , nah cook...... nah wasn't even a qualified cook, just someone who could cook..... and the trout would be cooked for those in the pub to nibble at. Didn't have to pay for it either. No wonder it was having trouble making a profit many years ago.

My husband told me when he was a lad and used to spend school holidays at Wandi with his grandparents, they used to take him to the pub and in those days the pub just had an earthen floor............ only the 'ladies lounge' had some hessian over the ground so the ladies didn't have to get their shoes dusty :)

He told me the 'ladies lounge' at the Wandiligong pub was where he was taught to always stand when a lady came into the room. :P :P :P Quaint eh?

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Great stuff Loris. Really good memories. My own Junction Oval memories were over the final 2 seasons 63 and 64. I'd either go with my Dad or with a mate from school whose family were avid Saints fans. If it was with Dad we would go to the shops in the morning, and get one of those old wooden boxes that used to be emptied of their Fruit and Veg contents. We used to carry that in, and stand it on it's end behind my Dad. I would then balance myself on his shoulders and watch the game from our vantage point just in front or to the side of those stands.

The Old Man would often say how impressed he was that I would watch the whole game from there and not get distracted, Other kids by the third quarter would be scuttling around between everyone's legs looking for bottles to redeem. Or out the back of the stands or behind the crowd kicking footies. I just loved the spectacle, and in those years we were doing ok, and more often than not would win at the Junction.

When I went with my mate, he would tire of things late in the game, and I would have to go off with him on various adventures. One I remember was climbing up the scaffolding on the TV camera and commentary positions at the side of one of those stands. So much for Health and Safety! They usually did the last quarter on the TV replay later, so that's when we'd climb up if they happened to be doing the Saints at the Junction. We'd get pretty high to the back of people like Mike Williamson and Butch Gale. Then at a given moment scream..'CARN THE SAINTS' at the top of our pip-squeek voices. Obviously hoping to hear overselves later on the replay. A highlight was Butch Gale turning around and telling us kids to 'bugger off' with a scary scowl. Juvenile humour. Amazing how the commentaters were there open to the elements with no minders seemingly anywhere.

I remember looking at all the people at the game quite often, and just gaping at the different sorts who would be at the Footy. Quite an eye-opener for a sheltered lad from Beaumaris. Old people, people who seemed mad, street kids who were rougher and tougher than me by a mile, rowdy drinkers, people screaming and yelling as if possessed. The whole thing was fascinating, and sparked a life long love affair with the Saints. The atmosphere was incredible, especially if the Saints were coming home with a wet sail. As Loris said, that Grandstand would rock.

Towards the end of the 64 season I had been at a game with my mate and his Dad. We were driving home along Beach Road and had just gone past Black Rock and nearly home. Suddenly from the opposite direction a car slewed in front of us, and bang, big crash. As was the custom in those days I was standing in the back leaning over the front seat with my mate and his Dad in the front. Just chatting away about the game. No seat-belts of course. We were all pretty lucky, as I was thrown onto the floor thankfully, and ended upside down. Those in the front got whacked on the steering wheel and dashboard and had bloody faces but no permanent damage. The other car was not so lucky, but we were shielded from what happened, and I never did find out if people lived or died. I can't think of the Junction Oval, and not think about that crash.

And the players of that era were incredible. Well, at least to a kid my age. Baldock, Stewart , Ditterich, Howell, Morrow...what a bunch. Lucky for me they were the first Saints I clapped eyes on.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Another great post. Thanks Verdun.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:Great stuff Loris. Really good memories. My own Junction Oval memories were over the final 2 seasons 63 and 64. I'd either go with my Dad or with a mate from school whose family were avid Saints fans. If it was with Dad we would go to the shops in the morning, and get one of those old wooden boxes that used to be emptied of their Fruit and Veg contents. We used to carry that in, and stand it on it's end behind my Dad. I would then balance myself on his shoulders and watch the game from our vantage point just in front or to the side of those stands.

The Old Man would often say how impressed he was that I would watch the whole game from there and not get distracted, Other kids by the third quarter would be scuttling around between everyone's legs looking for bottles to redeem. Or out the back of the stands or behind the crowd kicking footies. I just loved the spectacle, and in those years we were doing ok, and more often than not would win at the Junction.

When I went with my mate, he would tire of things late in the game, and I would have to go off with him on various adventures. One I remember was climbing up the scaffolding on the TV camera and commentary positions at the side of one of those stands. So much for Health and Safety! They usually did the last quarter on the TV replay later, so that's when we'd climb up if they happened to be doing the Saints at the Junction. We'd get pretty high to the back of people like Mike Williamson and Butch Gale. Then at a given moment scream..'CARN THE SAINTS' at the top of our pip-squeek voices. Obviously hoping to hear overselves later on the replay. A highlight was Butch Gale turning around and telling us kids to 'bugger off' with a scary scowl. Juvenile humour. Amazing how the commentaters were there open to the elements with no minders seemingly anywhere.

I remember looking at all the people at the game quite often, and just gaping at the different sorts who would be at the Footy. Quite an eye-opener for a sheltered lad from Beaumaris. Old people, people who seemed mad, street kids who were rougher and tougher than me by a mile, rowdy drinkers, people screaming and yelling as if possessed. The whole thing was fascinating, and sparked a life long love affair with the Saints. The atmosphere was incredible, especially if the Saints were coming home with a wet sail. As Loris said, that Grandstand would rock.

Towards the end of the 64 season I had been at a game with my mate and his Dad. We were driving home along Beach Road and had just gone past Black Rock and nearly home. Suddenly from the opposite direction a car slewed in front of us, and bang, big crash. As was the custom in those days I was standing in the back leaning over the front seat with my mate and his Dad in the front. Just chatting away about the game. No seat-belts of course. We were all pretty lucky, as I was thrown onto the floor thankfully, and ended upside down. Those in the front got whacked on the steering wheel and dashboard and had bloody faces but no permanent damage. The other car was not so lucky, but we were shielded from what happened, and I never did find out if people lived or died. I can't think of the Junction Oval, and not think about that crash.

And the players of that era were incredible. Well, at least to a kid my age. Baldock, Stewart , Ditterich, Howell, Morrow...what a bunch. Lucky for me they were the first Saints I clapped eyes on.
Wonderful memories there Verdun66- in the days when kids could be kids at footy games.

The image of the scaffolding up to the TV commentary boxes come flooding back. You invoke memories of watching, Butch, Mike et al climbing up the portable ladder, accompanied to not so polite witticisms from the supporters as they clambered to get to their commentary positions. All in good humour though. :D

Nowadays when I go to over toMelbourne and watch games at Docklands stadium, I find it so devoid of atmosphere for young children, they are in such a controlled environment.
I find it such a stage managed and sanitized place to watch footy. Even prefer sitting at Subi, staring into the blazing sun to watch the Saints than watch a game at Docklands.

That isn't meant as a criticism of the passionate crowd of Sainters on the Moorabbin Wing................. thankfully they are a very good example of organic growth of a movement started by Son of 66 and Wizsteppa and carried on by the efforts of Saint66au. People(supporter) power just grew from their efforts, until the Club and the management of Docklands had to listen to them. Their area of the stand rocks with passion & atmosphere no matter whether the Saints are winning or losing. Pity Saint supporters in other areas of that place don't show such passion.

I wished the Saints had been able to make the decision to play their home games at the MCG, years ago. Though many on this site wouldn't go there as they don't like sitting out in the elements. :roll: :roll: Heaven to Betsy what wimps.

Just walking anywhere near the MCG gives me goose bumps. The tradition of the 'G' at times overwhelms me and I tear up today as I walk up to my seat when ever I go there..
It used to be a priviledge to play at the 'G' when we were a lowly club and I dreamed that one day the Saints would hold the Cup aloft there. Lucky I was able to be there and experience that dream come true. :P :P The memories of great sporting occasions I have watched at the 'G' - olympics, footy, cricket matches etc all ooze from me. I just love the place.

I'll get on my literary bent once more folks................. An very interesting and readable book on how the MCG has found it's place in the hearts and imagination of not only Victorians but people from all over the world is:

Brian Matthews: "The Temple Down the Road".

Verdun, I'll be over for 3 matches of the Ashes Tour (Old Trafford, Durham & The Oval). When I get back to London for the last test at The Oval I hope we can catch up again for a chat over all things Saintly and cricket stories of years gone by :wink:

I'll bring another Margaret River red over for you, only hope it lasts till I get back to London.

I s'pose you are getting the egg and bacon tie and cap out and dusting them off in readiness for Lords?

Hope to catch up in August............... cheers Loris :P

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Hi Loris, watching the cricket now from the G, and off to coach cricket this afternoon. Indoors thankfully as it is a dirty day. I will be at Lords of course, and in understated regalia. Think I'm in Scotland ( long story) at the time of the Oval test. Saw Peter Philpott when I was in Sydney recently. Mutual friend. Getting on now, but still coaching a grade club in Sydney. Amazing. Will PM you.

Loved the G, but having travelled back for the 09 GF, it now gives me the shivers. Nearly came back for 10 GF. that would have finished me off.

Furphy
Club Player

The 1923 photo is up for auction, est $75.00. http://www.downies.com/aca/auction308/C ... e_037.html Item 1210