Nick is delisted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Re: Nick is delisted

joffaboy wrote:Reported on SEN this morning that Saints were after the other Tippett.

Edit: Sorry just read that is interest in Joel Tippett for rookie only.
Depends which way Carlton goes as they have only 38 senior listed players ATM so they can take two more on that list or use the numbers to select 2 extras on their rookie list. Henec if Carlton want him they are in the best position to get him!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Q-TRAIN
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:i was as happy as a tornado in a trailer park.

Q-TRAIN, is that anything like a cyclone in a caravan park?
:D Yes it is :D We must come from opposite side of the train tracks :D

lucasro
Club Player

I think one reason Carlton might only have 38 players on list is they have major salary cap issues due to AFL decision to include Judd's $200k plus from Visy within the salary cap-whereas Saints post-Goddard shouldn't have same problems

westies1953
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/artic ... -hits-out/

Paul Connors is a fan...

His manager Paul Connors slammed the Saints treatment of his client.

Connors revealed that the young utility player is disillusioned and could walk away from the AFL all together.

The high profile agent who also handles Carlton and league superstar Chris Judd, as well as Hawthorn gun Luke Hodge and Collingwood ace Dale Thomas, was not informed of St Kilda management’s intention to dismiss Winmar late last Friday after the meeting.

Connors declared that no player should be cut and deprived a due process to attempt to retain his career through the draft.

St Kilda’s decision to sack Winmar after the national draft means his contract payment is included in 2012 salary cap and not next year.

“It’s a poor reflection on the St Kilda football club and the system,” Connors said.

“It’s concerning that we treat our players like this, so soon after a draft.

“Nick is a contracted player and I think the club is duty bound to put their arms around him and work him through any concerns.

“Not to just drop him.”

Connors said no player should be treated like Winmar, regardless of whether it is a senior player or a younger list member with limited time at a club.

“There’s no way this sort of thing should happen,” Connors said.

“It makes it extremely difficult for any player who is de-listed after the natioinal draft to be picked up by another club.

"It's even more difficult this year given there will be only about 15 lives picks in the national rookie draft."

Connors confessed there is little option for complaint through the AFL player’s Association or the league, other than to scour the competition for interest in Winmar.

He can nominate for next month’s final selection for all AFL clubs at the pre-season and rookie drafts.

Connors fears that next month’s pre-season draft could be slim pickings with a host of clubs expected to ignore the process and limit hopes of Winmar continuing his stalled career.

Winmar returned to the Saints a fortnight ahead of compulsory training starting last week after their annual six-week leave, but is believed to have a less than favourable time trial.

The young Western Australia recruit did not make a senior appearance in 2012 under new coach Scott Watters after Winmar made two senior appearances last year.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cry me a river Paul, after what you did to us, it is very rich to be playing the moral card you knob. What a crook.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Cry me a river Paul, after what you did to us, it is very rich to be playing the moral card you knob. What a crook.

What he said is fair enough. It has nothing to do with Conners. he still has his job. Nick doesnt.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:Cry me a river Paul, after what you did to us, it is very rich to be playing the moral card you knob. What a crook.

What he said is fair enough. It has nothing to do with Conners. he still has his job. Nick doesnt.
When was the time trial though?

If he put in a terrible result, after years at the club.

At least let's be real about where the fault lies.

I'm kind of over being a club that settles for mediocre effort and behaviour, they probably had every intention of keeping him and he blew it.

Life is what you make of it.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Yes it was a tough break for Nick, no doubt. It looks like Pierce was available when the club had not expected him to be, so in the best interest of the club, they had to take the opportunity, I am sure they would have cut Nick earlier if they had known, but they didn't.

It would be highly unlikely that Nick would have been drafted last week, in any case there are still 2 more draft opportunities if anyone is interested he will find a home.

We pulled the contract, but he has received a full years pay… let's be honest it was looking highly unlikely that we would have re-contracted him after next year.

He seems like a lovely young man, but he obviously wasn't working hard enough.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

When was the time trial though?

If he put in a terrible result, after years at the club.

At least let's be real about where the fault lies.

I'm kind of over being a club that settles for mediocre effort and behaviour, they probably had every intention of keeping him and he blew it.

Life is what you make of it.

Well why not delist him after the time trial if that was the issue. Then he had a least a chance to be picked up. Anyway the fault was a year ago when some fool gave him a 2 year contract when he always only deserved one.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Well why not delist him after the time trial if that was the issue. Then he had a least a chance to be picked up. Anyway the fault was a year ago when some fool gave him a 2 year contract when he always only deserved one.
I'll try and answer that....

I'm sure it's been an ongoing issue?

I don't think it's as simple as pushing the button on the stopwatch and he's sacked?

Meetings were probably called with Nick and the coaches?

Then with the coaches and his management?

They probably have been trying to establish why he doesn't appear serious about having a decent crack at it...and based on what he had to say, he could of written his own exit.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Paul Conners, public enemy number 1! He was also Ben Jacobs' manager who manipulated the draft to get him to his destination. Just speculating but we did have interest in him but that cooled in a hurry, not suprised if Conners had something to do with it.

I know what I want to replace Winmar but I feel we will just get Cockie. My concern is that Watters is influencing the selections. Ross, Curren, Saunders, Armo and Steven are already on the list for many years to come. Explain what Cockie provide that these guys plus Lenny for a bit cant?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Mr Connors perhaps if your client put in the work that a number of his ex team mates had he wouldn't be in this position. There were number of much better players than Nicholas delisted this year and not redrafted in the National Draft, hence Winmar would have had buckleys of being picked up.

If he is good enough another club will pick him up in the rookie draft which I also very much doubt will occur! He should be grateful that he got 3 years on a Saints list (paid for 4) a lot of players dont get that long. There is no way I would have given him a 2 year contract extension midway thru his 2nd year.

If Nicholas wants it bad enough this will be the stimulus he needs to get his act together and he will come back much better prepared !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
SuperDuper
Club Player

Fact: no one would have picked him up in the ND. His VFL form simply did not warrant it. So Connors is just spouting rubbish.

If Winmar is determined to play AFL, well he is getting next years salary paid... so he can play full time... so he has to knuckle down, train hard, and show next year in a state league that he is worth drafting.... I hope he can do it and wish him luck

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Your comment doesn't make sense. Winmar will still get paid so he might as well play WAFL or VFL because he probably wouldn't play in the AFL next year. So what has he lost?

His dream??

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Well why not delist him after the time trial if that was the issue. Then he had a least a chance to be picked up.
The article suggests that delisting him now means his payout is in the 2012 salary cap rather than the 2013 cap. If he had to go then paying him out this year is logical, so if that was the only way to achieve it then I guess it's the rules that are at fault.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

He was given a chance to show he could improve his work ethic and hit the training track hard for the pre season. He didn't. He finished last in the time trial - not great for a running flanker. Winmar is extremely lucky that someone was stupid enough to give him a two-year contract and will get paid out immediately.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Conners will be working for his pay next year. Nick will be paid by us for next year and can go fishing if he wants. I assume we still have to pay out his next years contract. I wouldn't think it's the end of the world for him. Maybe the kick up the bum he needs to get fair dinkum.

SuperDuper wrote:Fact: no one would have picked him up in the ND. His VFL form simply did not warrant it. So Connors is just spouting rubbish.

If Winmar is determined to play AFL, well he is getting next years salary paid... so he can play full time... so he has to knuckle down, train hard, and show next year in a state league that he is worth drafting.... I hope he can do it and wish him luck
Agree- feel for the bloke - but as my 76 year old dad said - If a running back/wingman can't beat kosi in a 2 km time trial - there really is no place for him

( I was nolt there and don't know about any injury concerns he maight have had - but this seems to be the rumour)

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

the thing i dont understand is why Paul Conners is getting so worked up like its St Kildas responcability to find him a new home ? Nick is contracted so we will have to pay him out so as far as im concerned its not St Kildas position to make sure he gets to another club we have payed him out we have delisted him before the offical list lodgment period so what do you want Paul ?

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:the thing i dont understand is why Paul Conners is getting so worked up like its St Kildas responcability to find him a new home ? Nick is contracted so we will have to pay him out so as far as im concerned its not St Kildas position to make sure he gets to another club we have payed him out we have delisted him before the offical list lodgment period so what do you want Paul ?

I think you will find like any good manager he is looking after his client. Granstanding is good for the image. Certainly doesnt worry me what he said. Just doing his job.

avid
Club Player

I really really wish Nick was still on the list and about to break into the team.
But if the AFL has designed this intricate system for drafting and trading, and it has a specified window for the delisting of players this week, how can the club possibly be condemned for delisting a player this week?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Well why not delist him after the time trial if that was the issue. Then he had a least a chance to be picked up. Anyway the fault was a year ago when some fool gave him a 2 year contract when he always only deserved one.

I don't think it's as simple as pushing the button on the stopwatch and he's sacked?

They probably have been trying to establish why he doesn't appear serious about having a decent crack at it...and based on what he had to say, he could of written his own exit.

Your posting is confusing on this topic K.

Too many question marks. It's like a combination of facts and questions. In fact it's like you have devised a scenario explaining the situation using questions.

Or do you know something we don't?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:He was given a chance to show he could improve his work ethic and hit the training track hard for the pre season. He didn't. He finished last in the time trial - not great for a running flanker. Winmar is extremely lucky that someone was stupid enough to give him a two-year contract and will get paid out immediately.
I am crap at my job so therefore keep me on?

Please?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Too many question marks. It's like a combination of facts and questions. In fact it's like you have devised a scenario explaining the situation using questions.

I am very devisive...

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Spinner wrote:
SainterK wrote:

I am very devisive...
Hmmm this doesnt make things clearer for me...