Welcome to the St Kilda FC Tom Hickey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Welcome to the St Kilda FC Tom Hickey

Old Mate wrote:
kos wrote:Last time we had pick 13 we chose Tom lynch! Not disappointed at all choosing a 200+ cm ruck man who has already shown he can play and play well!
Pick 25, 26, 37 think Ross, newnes and mark worth. Well done saints!
Look, I would be far more disappointed if we had given picks 12 & 13 away for 'ageing' stars. Both Tom Lee and Tom Hickey are still very young and could potentially fill two major list needs for the next decade. They've also got a few years of development playing senior footy so will be a lot closer to being in our best 22 (if they make it) than 18 year olds fresh out of high school.

That 100% true but with players you dont know you could get a champion which is the only way to get back up the ladder. Lets hope GC have let go a champion because I have my doubts a 21 year old WAFL player will be one.

savatage
SS Life Member

Sure, we'll get a pick in the 40s or 50s for Ray & a late 40's pick for Cripps. Not exactly placing ourselves as well as we could be.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
CURLY wrote:This has to be rumour or Ive lost all faith in our recruiting.
He's usually on the money. He posted the Tom Lee trade prior to the announcement.
Can't believe this is way over for Hickey.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I understand why some people are upset about us losing pick 13.

I also wanted to keep it. But to me it was partly the romantism of having a fairly good pick in a pretty good Draft. 

But at the end of the day it's all about getting a talented young kid at pick 13 and we've done that. We needed another ruckman and we got that. A modern, young, leaping ruckman with 2 years development pre installed.

Pick 13 could've gone on Caddy; it went on Hickey.

At least it didn't go on Mitch Brown!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
CURLY wrote:This has to be rumour or Ive lost all faith in our recruiting.
He's usually on the money. He posted the Tom Lee trade prior to the announcement.
Can't believe this is way over for Hickey.
I've maintained that Hickey was worth no more than a pick in the 30's however my knowledge is limited in comparison to Emma Quayle and our recruiting team so I hope I'm proven wrong. I guess I was excited at the prospect of getting a top draft pick for the first time in around 5 years!

evo
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
kos wrote:Last time we had pick 13 we chose Tom lynch! Not disappointed at all choosing a 200+ cm ruck man who has already shown he can play and play well!
Look, I would be far more disappointed if we had given picks 12 & 13 away for 'ageing' stars. Both Tom Lee and Tom Hickey are still very young and could potentially fill two major list needs for the next decade. They've also got a few years of development playing senior footy so will be a lot closer to being in our best 22 (if they make it) than 18 year olds fresh out of high school.
Great news for mine. Now 25 and 26 for Brown {see earlier post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78457#p1276444 } Could not give a damn about the draft, don't get my jollies watching video clips of unknown 18 yr old footballers that we were unlikely to get.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

That 100% true but with players you dont know you could get a champion which is the only way to get back up the ladder. Lets hope GC have let go a champion because I have my doubts a 21 year old WAFL player will be one.
I think this years draft is pretty clear - Top 5-8 you wouldn't think of trading unless it was for a Jack Martin or Jesse Hogan (in the Suns and Demons case). After those first 8 or so selections there's an evenness that spreads to about pick 20-25. I guess the club is confident, or at least hopeful that we'll get decent players with picks 25 and 26.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Hickey & picks 26 & 47 for pick 13.

Brian from BF St Kilda board broke the news. Not in the media yet.

So is this just a rumour or do we have it as fact?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

So is this just a rumour?
I don't believe it has officially been signed off however it's been reported on the Sun website as well as by journo's on twitter. It's a done deal.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Not a great move IMO. Pick 13 shouldnt be let go for an unproven ruckman. Got to say we have punted our future this trade period. If it comes off it sets us up in a few years. if it doesnt we will be down for even longer than I originally thought. Surely GC are laughing at us now. Pelchan and his crew have lost BJ and pick 12 for Lee, Hickey and 25 and 26. Huge price to pay.
Plus the cash saved and we can grab someone else into the future though?

The cash is becoming a bigger thing with free agency etc.

70s sainter
Club Player

We have a history of throwing away early draft picks to try and secure a decent ruck man which turn out to be duds. Hopefully the difference with this one is that he is proven to a stage that we know he ll be good.

saint6709
Club Player

I recon they will be good trades Lee & hickey (if true ) - like saad etc -- we are getting guys with massive potential for an upside -- people have been worried about the cats with trades like rivers - who can't get a game at melbourne who are hopeless, and mcintosh who gets paid well and might break down anyway - we needed a ruck and a massive back - we have the ruck just need the backman - unfortunately they don't come for free - something had to give -- still think there is a longway to go this week and our list is going to change some more -- what we can be sure of is that our bottom 5-6 players are going to be a big step up from the bottom 5-6 in the 09/10 GF's

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:I understand why some people are upset about us losing pick 13.

I also wanted to keep it. But to me it was partly the romantism of having a fairly good pick in a pretty good Draft. 

But at the end of the day it's all about getting a talented young kid at pick 13 and we've done that. We needed another ruckman and we got that. A modern, young, leaping ruckman with 2 years development pre installed.

Well, I still hope we get Brown too. He would fill an almighty hole.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Old Mate wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

So is this just a rumour?
I don't believe it has officially been signed off however it's been reported on the Sun website as well as by journo's on twitter. It's a done deal.
Also ont he Facebook trade/FA page. All reporting we get Hickey, 26 & 47.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl ... 6501802290

AFL posting as fact
AFL ‏@AFL
Gold Coast ruckman Tom Hickey has joined St Kilda in exchange for a first-round draft pick http://afl.to/RRPLYK
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
ST KILDA has finally completed a trade for young Gold Coast ruckman Tom Hickey, agreeing to part with pick No. 13.

The deal with also reportedly involve a swap of later draft picks.

The Saints have been pursuing Hickey throughout this month's Gillette AFL Trade Period as they seek to provide more support to No. 1 ruckman Ben McEvoy.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

Oh really - How about a bloke by name of Nicky Winmar?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:I understand why some people are upset about us losing pick 13.

Well, I still hope we get Brown too. He would fill an almighty hole.

I reckon we will get Brown as I thought we would get Hickey. Just didnt expect to pay what we did. The pick we got for Hickey will used on Brown tomorrow surely.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

Oh really - How about a bloke by name of Nicky Winmar?

And Graham Moss and Barry Cable and Polly Farmer. No idea what they have to do with how the draft is today.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Lets hope GC have let go a champion because I have my doubts a 21 year old WAFL player will be one.
On what do you base these doubts?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Lets hope GC have let go a champion because I have my doubts a 21 year old WAFL player will be one.

I base it on facts. When was the last 21 year old to come out of a state league and become a champion?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I base it on facts. When was the last 21 year old to come out of a state league and become a champion?
Anything else? Have you actually seen him play?

andrewg
Club Player

I love the trade. We have eliminated 4 years of development getting Lee and Hickey. This means less money in development, less time for them to come on and iturn less risk.
Yea we have used some high picks but based on the negative outlook of the saints in 2013 by many on this site, we will have even lower picks next year.

Again wevhave to realise the face of recruiting is changing. I firmly believe the days of getting 'the next best player' is an arcaic way of building a list. These days you get what you need for your team. If that means you pay overs to do that so be it. Yes Hickey might be worth +20 but to us he is worth more because we need him. Just like we need Lee.
I think this is a courageous pick, our list management could of just said, 'we will get the next best kid' but instead it is obvious some thought has gone into it for the present and the future.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

How come there are so many experts on this site???

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Wonder if the logic was an extra twenties pick to get Brown?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

atleast he's not a 28 year old who would face being delisted in 12 months.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107