Barrett Gossip Update...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: Barrett Gossip Update...

matrix wrote:gee barratts quick on the gossip huh

ive only been saying for a week he wants a four year deal

he will stay
he will accept 3 years
not
going
anywhere

especially to f****** freo

you had better be right, becuase if not .............

dragit
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
dragit wrote:
fugazi wrote:Goddard sits in top 30 in the league very comfortably. On his day, top 10.
Agree, however if you can't produce it consistently then it counts for little. How many of his last 50 matches have been at a level which could be considered 'top 10 in the comp'? maybe a handful?

Id say he showed us all he produces when it counts.
Great, so we can accept average performances for most of the year, knowing that if we make another grand final, he'll step up…

Pig's arse.

Very likely we will not make another GF while he is still playing, we may not even make the finals. Lenny can turn it on in a big match, but he produces very good football 95% of the time, so should BJ if he expects the big bucks.

Gershwin
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Gershwin wrote:
Ralphy wrote:so how is everything going for dal santo would rather sign him then goddard at this point.
Totally, totally, totally agree.

Goddard is not all that good !!!
Some people dont know much about football and here is a prime example.

This is almost as dumb a call as the "steven is a dud" statement made on this forum.

A utility the size of Goddard is vital to a football team nowdays. He will leave a gaping hole and our flexibility will be cut very short if he is not there.

To compare Dal Santo to him is just silly. Dal is a good midfielder who finds it difficult to break a tag, can only play midfield, and can be replaced in the team pretty seamlessly.
So I don't know much about football eh Joffaboy hmmm. I reckon that in 45 years of following AFL very closely I have learned a bit.
Goddard is a very good user of the ball and very sound in most other areas of the game but he is not an elite player. The quarterback role he plays can be covered by other players and Siposs is being given a try there.
9th in our B&F last year. Where do you think he will finish this year ? (by the way Dal Santo finished 2nd). But maybe those who vote don't know much about football - not like the mighty Joffaboy!

By the way I think Steven is a gun and will be in our top players for the next 10 years.

summertime and the living is easy ........
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

battye wrote:Goddard is worth 600k pa over 4 years. Very reasonable IMO.

Yep I would okay with giving Goddard 4 years as well - not injury prone, and hasn't had anywhere near as poor a season as some folks make out.....
(not that journos would really know what players get, and it's none of their business)

Hickey yes, subject to medical and what DP it cost the Saints.

Stand your ground :shock:
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Gershwin wrote:
Ralphy wrote:so how is everything going for dal santo would rather sign him then goddard at this point.

Some people dont know much about football and here is a prime example.

This is almost as dumb a call as the "steven is a dud" statement made on this forum.

A utility the size of Goddard is vital to a football team nowdays. He will leave a gaping hole and our flexibility will be cut very short if he is not there.

To compare Dal Santo to him is just silly. Dal is a good midfielder who finds it difficult to break a tag, can only play midfield, and can be replaced in the team pretty seamlessly.
Agree that saying Goddard is not all that good is off the mark. However the problem with Goddard as I see it is that he is a downhill skier. Went really well in 09 and 10 but leading up to 2009 many supporters and footy pundits where regularly debating why he was taken as a number 1 draft pick. It took a long time for BJ to get to a point where people weren't being constantly frustrated by his performances. Prior to Lyon arriving at the club he desperately wanted to play in the midfield but obviously Lyon loves his midfielders to be hard and under types so Goddard was never going to make that grade. He was a very important part of the Lyon game plan and during his good years he had Fisher, Dawson and Gwilt at their peaks so that allowed Goddard to excel as the roaming half back type and use his one real weapon, his kicking. To me Goddard is a little like Daniel Kerr. When Judd and Cousins played around him when he was considered elite, after they departed he struggled big time, coincidently he has returned to some form, arguably not the form or calibre of player he was in 2006 when he roamed the paddock with Judd and Cousins but he now has some genuine stars around him again. The fact of the matter is that the Saints aren't the team they were when Goddard produced his 2 best years and it's possible Goddard is not the type of player that can be any better than he was in 11/12 without some supporting players around him.
Could Goddard produce elite performances consistently in a poor side like Abblet and Judd did when they left top clubs at top flight? I reckon that is the question the St Kilda football club is struggling with at the moment. Because 600k is a pay packet reserved for elite players, or it should be at the very least IMO.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I think that all footballers should be paid a basic wage which is based on talent and then they get bonuses if they win matches (up to the top end of the salary cap). Imagine how much harder players would try.

I can't believe that players in teams such as Melbourne get virtually the same pay as players from Geelong or Collingwood because clubs have to pay a set amount of a salary cap.

I realise that players wouldn't want to play for lowly clubs if that were the case but paying overs for shite players doesn't make much sense to me either.

Anyway, that's my nonsensical 1 3/4 bobs worth (I've taken a pay cut). :lol:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:

Thought Dal was signed until the end of next year?

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Gershwin wrote:

Thought Dal was signed until the end of next year?
Thought he was a free agent?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Wow skeptic are you the club accountant ? How else would you be so up to date with who is getting paid what ??
Come on St. Trav, I think it's pretty clear that my tone is a speculative one.

On JB's comment, I will say this: Dal Santo generally out performs Goddard most weeks and generally plays closer to his best than BJ does.

It's a fair argument that you weight players performances more based on their position but what type of a utility is BJ. Average midfielder, semi-descent HBF. Again not indespensable IMO.

To me he's just another player that looked like he would be one of the very elite but is just a good player with the odd great game. Certainly wouldn't have him in the top 10

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ralphy wrote: Thought he was a free agent?
http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=77725

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

but im already logged in

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Would love to see Caddy and Hickey come to us somehow. Caddy in a proper midfield setup could be anything.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

skeptic wrote:... To me he's just another player that looked like he would be one of the very elite but is just a good player with the odd great game. Certainly wouldn't have him in the top 10...
I largely agree Skep'. I reckon he actually was clearly elite for several years, but we haven't seen that for two seasons, and given BJ's age, it's unlikely his form graph is heading up.
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Wow skeptic are you the club accountant ? How else would you be so up to date with who is getting paid what ??
Fair question Trav. Today I got to chat to my one source in the know at an AFL club, being at Girlong.

Everyone is on less than $500K a season. They understood Gablett leaving and he's always welcome back. The players know the value of 'team'. Loyal players are looked after after their careers. I was amazed how (relatively) little the Tomahawk is on... sorry BJ, but the Tomahawk now offers more to a side than you can.

Without my asking, it was mentioned that Collingwood's top mid fielders weren't on much more than Girlong's top earners. It was also 'believed' that Ego Buddy was on much less than his profile would make one expect.

Once again everyone, if the Saints are to compete with the likes of Girlong, Skunks and Skidmarks, we have to bring our salary scale closer to theirs. Doing so would pretty much put two Tomahawks into our froward line for the price BJ is asking... :idea:

I see it as not just a no-brainer, but an imperative.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
skeptic wrote:... To me he's just another player that looked like he would be one of the very elite but is just a good player with the odd great game. Certainly wouldn't have him in the top 10...
I largely agree Skep'. I reckon he actually was clearly elite for several years, but we haven't seen that for two seasons, and given BJ's age, it's unlikely his form graph is heading up.
Fair question Trav. Today I got to chat to my one source in the know at an AFL club, being at Girlong.

Everyone is on less than $500K a season. They understood Gablett leaving and he's always welcome back. The players know the value of 'team'. Loyal players are looked after after their careers. I was amazed how (relatively) little the Tomahawk is on... sorry BJ, but the Tomahawk now offers more to a side than you can.

Without my asking, it was mentioned that Collingwood's top mid fielders weren't on much more than Girlong's top earners. It was also 'believed' that Ego Buddy was on much less than his profile would make one expect.

Once again everyone, if the Saints are to compete with the likes of Girlong, Skunks and Skidmarks, we have to bring our salary scale closer to theirs. Doing so would pretty much put two Tomahawks into our froward line for the price BJ is asking... :idea:

Good post Dave. It is going to be interesting if Goddard stays. It will mean he had to settle for less than what he thought he was worth. A humbling experience you would think.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

Our list is not as good as Geelong's, Hawthorn's or the filth's and is at a different stage of development so we don't have to pay everyone the same.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Would we really miss a player who prefers to be unaccountable... a free wheeler...someone who criticises team mates for things he doesn't do.

In the current situation i'd say NO..we wouldn't miss him :shock:

ready for incoming abuse :roll:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I do believe there is merit in the argument that Goddard's best might only be attainable again in a good side challenging now where he becomes the cream on top as opposed to the guy who changes momentum when the team is down.

That said.....1 game stands out where he did do this against the tide.....2010 GF.....albeit 2 yrs ago and again, we werent a shabby side.

“Yeah….nah””
suss
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:Would we really miss a player who prefers to be unaccountable... a free wheeler...someone who criticises team mates for things he doesn't do.

Here's a quote from a recent article by Paul Roos on the topic:

Fix-it Now: They must sign Brendon Goddard. Even though he has come under some scrutiny about his form this year, quality players do not fall out of trees. We know Goddard's best is exceptional and he must stay a Saints player. If he regains the form of 2010, Saints will go back up the ladder quickly.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/paul-ro ... 6462704803

That's not abuse; just an observation from someone who knows a bit about the game.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
bobmurray wrote:Would we really miss a player who prefers to be unaccountable... a free wheeler...someone who criticises team mates for things he doesn't do.

Here's a quote from a recent article by Paul Roos on the topic:

Fix-it Now: They must sign Brendon Goddard. Even though he has come under some scrutiny about his form this year, quality players do not fall out of trees. We know Goddard's best is exceptional and he must stay a Saints player. If he regains the form of 2010, Saints will go back up the ladder quickly.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/paul-ro ... 6462704803

That's not abuse; just an observation from someone who knows a bit about the game.
The operative word is "if". There is no question he has been a good player however part of the debate has to be about do you give him a 4 year deal and pay him overs on the speculation that he will return to being a good player again. And I question weather him returning to his best would be enough alone to help us move up the ladder in the next few years while we are in rebuild mode. And if that is the case wouldn't the huge some of money be better spent on recruiting and development of players that will be part of the next generation/flag tilt?

The Jeff
Club Player

DonBakes23 wrote:So what would the Saints have to give up get Hickey? I was impressed with his games against us, took a few nice contested marks and kicked a couple.
I was also impressed with one of his performances against us this season and remember thinking at the time that he would be exactly the type of player we should be looking to include.

FQF
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

yeah, big game player. think it's fair, but unless we play finals its more than his worth.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote:There is no question he has been a good player however part of the debate has to be about do you give him a 4 year deal and pay him overs on the speculation that he will return to being a good player again.
4 years isn't an unreasonable request from somebody who has been as durable as BJ has. 600K isn't particularly overpaying either. Even in his 'bad' years, he's still up toward the top of our possessions (.1 per game off Lenny for the lead) and he's our best user in terms of efficency. He's easily the most versatile player on our list. If he gets back to 2010 form, then $600K is a steal. It's hardly a disaster though if he stays at the current level.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Here's the thing historically speaking clubs like geelong Hawthorn and collingwood do a much better job looking after their players after they have finished up their career so taking a pay cut to stay true to the team is not as big a deal ... Our club has a history of forgetting about players the minute they walk out the door ( just ask J Allen ) ...as for these comments that Goddard isn't that good any way it smacks of sour grapes in case he does leave .. Last year Roo had arguably the worst season of his entire career and therewere talks of trading him taking the captaincy off him ect ect but you look at theway he was able to fight back into some good formthis year .. Champion players do have luls in formbut truechampions will eventually fight their way out of their lul .. Mark my words BJ will be in the top tier of players again very soon hopefully though it's in red White and blacknot some other teams colours

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
matrix
Saintsational Legend

70%

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

BJ has had the incentive, this year ( with his contract coming up and with the amount of money being offered to top tier players), to play out of his skin.
He should therefore be paid according to where he finishes in this year's best and fairest - and he shouldn't grumble about it.