Sledging: What's acceptable nowadays?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sledging: What's acceptable nowadays?

Melbourne Uni, say no more.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
jonesy wrote:If someone said that to you in your workplace you'd probably snot them. Unfortunatly you're not allowed to in AFL anymore,that's the real injustice here

I dont get your point. What are you saying?
Pearce should of dropped him on the spot. Nothing like a bruised chin to shut someone up. Minson didn't learn his lesson last time

Bring back the Lockett era
gringo
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
jonesy wrote:If someone said that to you in your workplace you'd probably snot them. Unfortunatly you're not allowed to in AFL anymore,that's the real injustice here

I dont get your point. What are you saying?
Pearce should of dropped him on the spot. Nothing like a bruised chin to shut someone up. Minson didn't learn his lesson last time
I think he probably did the harder thing. It's easier to punch him in the face and say nothing about what happened.
Minson is apparently a smart studious guy but seems to suffer from Everitt style brain fades, public humiliation will probably help him to STFU next time.

felix
Club Player

sledging is well and truly alive on this site .

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Entertainment business.

You can't show adult shows before 8:30pm, so it's only natural that anything of an adult or potentially offensive nature can't occur on the footy field.

If I wanted to watch athletes be nice to each other all the time whilst putting on an exhibition of their skills, I'd watch about 10 sports ahead of AFL footy. Better yet, I'd watch a movie.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

If Minson potted his Dad, would he have been in strife?

I've missed most of this, so I'm trying to get up to speed.

Is he in trouble because he bagged a woman? Or because he hurt some guys feelings?

What about every time a player calls someone else weak? Or tells them they're s***?

Are players not allowed to offend or upset someone verbally anymore?

What about when Milne humiliated Joseph publicly after he dropped that mark and Milne kicked the goal?

twirlyhair
Club Player

Interesting that thiis thread has been started by someone who Has form in sledging based on race and religion

Austinnn
Club Player

twirlyhair wrote:Interesting that thiis thread has been started by someone who Has form in sledging based on race and religion
I think that's the point; if you read the OP it's the words of someone who doesn't understand and wants to. Not a dig, think it's a brave question to ask nowadays.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:OK

You have never made any mention...cough, cough

Is mentioning you should leave your wife for me having a go at your wife. No so you are a liar. Please dont lie. Actually it is pathetic to lie to try and make a point. Easy to prove you didnt lie. Find a post. You will not as you are lying or dumb. Your choice.

See if anyone can see the conflict and/or irony in this post. Victorian media consumers = puppets and before anyone is offended by that, I'll be the first to put my hand up and say I'm a puppet too. We all are. Anyone reading the HS this morning.

St Lenny
Club Player

The worlds gone soft. Toughen up, its not meant as an insult, its meant to put you off and clearly thats working.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

If Minson said: "Hey Mate, was your mum pissed when you were born? Is that why you were called Danulye not Daniel?!"

Would that be unacceptable given the possible inference that aboriginals are drunks?

Again, it's all about interpretation. One does not necessarily mean the other.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:Interesting that thiis thread has been started by someone who Has form in sledging based on race and religion

BINGO.

latest one was questioning the physiology of an aboriginals skull thickness compared to - f##k I dont know, his perception of "normal" people.

The guy has form and has posted racist stereotypes on this forum over and over.

But as i posted before, you cant change the mind of people like this on forums, they think it is some type of game :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:If Minson said: "Hey Mate, was your mum pissed when you were born? Is that why you were called Danulye not Daniel?!"

Would that be unacceptable given the possible inference that aboriginals are drunks?

Again, it's all about interpretation. One does not necessarily mean the other.

If I was saying I raped your mum would you think it was ok? I don't.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't think it was Ok for someone to single me out on front of a national TV audience and 35000 live spectators, and scream in my face that I'm a weak character both pglhysically and mentally either.

Doing that, is purely aimed at belittling, intimidating, embarrassing and putting the player off his game.

The AFL as usual, are going completely half arsed on something.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I wouldn't think it was Ok for someone to single me out on front of a national TV audience and 35000 live spectators, and scream in my face that I'm a weak character both pglhysically and mentally either.

Doing that, is purely aimed at belittling, intimidating, embarrassing and putting the player off his game.

So does anything go or nothing go. It seems you think it is alright to attack the family, well why noy race and religion then?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

BINGO.

latest one was questioning the physiology of an aboriginals skull thickness compared to - f##k I dont know, his perception of "normal" people.

But as i posted before, you cant change the mind of people like this on forums, they think it is some type of game :roll:
I could post links on here re Aboriginal skull thickness. You don't believe it do that's fine with me.

Goodbye.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I wouldn't think it was Ok for someone to single me out on front of a national TV audience and 35000 live spectators, and scream in my face that I'm a weak character both pglhysically and mentally either.

I think that intuitively suggesting that you r%$#d someones mum is a little low. Same with bringing up someones disabled family members, and cancer treatment. All a little bit beyond the pale. Dal laughed off his dick jokes and Milney can give back what he gets on field so it's a little different. It does come down to how it's perceived by the individual and if someone was pissed about being called weak they might bring a charge. You want to tread a pretty fine line these days, if your not good at it don't do it. Minson obviously has more paperwork than brains and shows education doesn't make you smarter. Joe Hockey is another example, dipshits with degrees.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

BINGO.

I could post links on here re Aboriginal skull thickness. You don't believe it do that's fine with me.

Goodbye.

I could post s*** off the internet that proves the Queen is part of a space lizard conspiracy that runs the world, I'm not sure the Arian Nation is a reliable source.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

So does anything go or nothing go. It seems you think it is alright to attack the family, well why noy race and religion then?

Nothing goes, surely.

It's as plain as day that nothing goes.

It's like the AFL baning head high bumps because they're dangerous, but still allowing a bloke to jump into a pack with his knees - and making them do it without using their hands to guide them.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Again, it's all about interpretation. One does not necessarily mean the other.
sure, it's about how the sledged player interprets it. given that you can't guarantee it one way or the other, the smart thing would be not to sledge. if you do choose to sledge then sometimes you're going to get in trouble. it's not really complicated for a smart guy like minson.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Nothing goes, surely.

It's as plain as day that nothing goes.

It's like the AFL baning head high bumps because they're dangerous, but still allowing a bloke to jump into a pack with his knees - and making them do it without using their hands to guide them.

So what do you want with that rule? Have head high bumps or make peopke mark with out knees. Either would be stupid IMO just as sledging is ok for some and not others. You take the risk.

Austinnn
Club Player

I know I've already quoted this but this post hits the nail on the head for me:
saint66au wrote:You want to sledge opposition players with stuff that pushes boundaries (as Minson has done more than once)??

Fine..but you take your chances...if the recipient laughs it off and just tells you to STFU and get a kick..yay..but if they dont..you wear the consequences.

Did Minson know for a fact that Pearces Mum wasnt dangerously ill in hospital?? That she'd been sexually abused in the past? Kinda makes it a bit less funny doesnt it.

Pearce had every right to complain should he choose to. Minson rolled the dice and lost...suck it up princess.
You take the risk, you take the consequences. Minson's team still won so even with a week out, perhaps he actually feels vindicated. In that case the penalty clearly needs to be stiffer.

As for Johnny Member's comparison between Milne's belittling of Joseph and Minson's mind games with Pearce, I agree with Gringo:
gringo wrote:

I think that intuitively suggesting that you r%$#d someones mum is a little low. Same with bringing up someones disabled family members, and cancer treatment. All a little bit beyond the pale. Dal laughed off his dick jokes and Milney can give back what he gets on field so it's a little different. It does come down to how it's perceived by the individual and if someone was pissed about being called weak they might bring a charge. You want to tread a pretty fine line these days, if your not good at it don't do it. Minson obviously has more paperwork than brains and shows education doesn't make you smarter. Joe Hockey is another example, dipshits with degrees.
Finally I'm glad I didn't see the SP post that Joffaboy refers to. I think it's clear that there are racists on this forum, I don't know why they think this is the place to bring it up, I think their should save that kind of thing for their white-supremacy forums/meetings/krystalnachts. What's heartening is that most posters here are prepared to tell those racists to STFU. I'd be interested to know what happened in these people's lives to give them such a distorted view of people from different backgrounds. Or is it just down to a bad education? Also, what the hell does skull thickness have to do with anything else? Actually, forget that, I don't want to know your crackpot theory. Please keep it off this forum SP and anyone else, I'm asking politely.

As far as the Queen of England being a lizard goes, there is an ex-Sports presenter in the UK called David Icke who actually does believe this, along with plenty of far more credible theories. It's a shame because his philosophy on society is pretty sound, but no-one can take the lizards bit seriously. Imagine if Bruce McAveney started coming out with stuff like that! Awesome, but at the same time, a bit sad. Now Icke is totally discredited in his old industry but has a global cult following. Whatever ridiculous nonsense you can come up with, you're guaranteed that you'll find someone who'll believe you.
Last edited by Austinnn on Wed 20 Jun 2012 9:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
Moods
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Well for starters, attacking someone's race and religion is against the law, so I can understand just on that level alone why that would be banned on the footy field.

However there definitely are some hysterical posts on here. I think we need to clarify exactly what Minson has form for. He NEVER attacked Cornes' disabled child. He had a go at Cornes for not being at home assisting taking care of him. A VERY big difference. Still below the belt, but there vare different levels of below the belt.

As for for what he said - he claims I believe, that he said, 'I f.cked your mother.' Now quite possibly a distatsteful remark, but if we are to be honest, mother jokes have been with us since the turn of the last century. Suddenly Minson is satan because he said it and an indigenous player has taken offence? He strenuously denies stating anything re rape. Obviously once that sort of rubbish gets said then we are on a slippery slope.

Plugger you seem to be in favour of banning all sledging aimed at family? Fair enough. What if Travis cloke was sledged about his old man being an over protective wanker? What if someone said that another players wife was ugly? Are we banning everything but really selectively banning things. I agree with Wayne Carey on this one. When I played I never saw the point of getting into a bloke about family etc, HOWEVER I thought it was fine to do what Milney did. I have no problem with public humiliation of a bloke for not displaying courage, calling him weak, etc etc. I may be just as big a prick, because instead of saying something that couldn't possibly be true, I have hit a nerve.

I just don't reckon this whole area is as black and white (excuse the pun) as some are suggesting. Yes - us guys over 35 have probably grown up with an 'anything goe' attitude to sledging and have had to be re-educated on certain things. I still reckon those under 25 have paper thin sensitivities as well. Comparing footy to a normal work place is ridiculous. You don't get smashed in your normal work place either. It's not a valid argument. It's an issue that needs to be thrashed out some more.

For mine, depending on what Minson said - he's either very unlucky, or a complete d**khead who needs some counselling

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Wonder whether Minson is the only AFL player to comment on the field this year, let alone at any other time, about someones mother, sister, aunt or dog? At least we know none of our boys would ever say anything that utterly disgusting. He must be the only arsehole playing the game. He should be hung out to dry. Give him 6 weeks.

I think Pearce should actually sue Minson. Mental trauma. How will he sleep at night.

Stay at home. Don't speak to anyone you don't know. I mean anyone! Just in case. Never joke with anyone you haven't known for 20 years.

The AFL, and most of the world has lost the plot. Have a look at OH&S laws now in most workplaces. There always has to be someone to blame. No such thing as an accident any more. It's always someone's fault. Point the finger. Sport is the same now. Say something to 100 people. 99 will laugh or give you something back. 1 will destroy your character forever.

My father would be turning in his grave. Enter all the pc do gooders.

Club Player

...then enter all the reactionary throwbacks. Now let the grand opera of change commence!

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone