PLEASE STKILDA BOARD let goddard and montagna go

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: PLEASE STKILDA BOARD let goddard and montagna go

In order for the Saints to do well in the 2012 draft, we need low draft picks. In order to gain these, we will have to make some sacrifices. We need to be able to pick up a few lst rounders, such as Mason Shaw, a 198cm forward who like Kosi can play in the ruck. Then we still need a fullback, and a genuine ruckman, maybe taken later on.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Have I missed something?

Or are we believing the Herald Sun now.

Seriously that news paper is an absolute joke.

When are people going to realise that they write stories to sell units, not to pass on the truth to the public.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Ask Melbourne supporters (if you can find any) if they think that getting rid of your good players with a bit of experience is a good idea.
Dumb thread.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Dont know who "SMS" is but none of the players you mentioned are half the footballer that BJ is! If we couldnt win a flag with Roo Kosi Lenny Dal Ball Joey Fisher and BJ then i cant see how we will with the blokes you are on about. We must keep this core together and bring on youth around it!
Finally someone who actually knows what he is talking about. hallelujah!!!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:In order for the Saints to do well in the 2012 draft, we need low draft picks. In order to gain these, we will have to make some sacrifices. We need to be able to pick up a few lst rounders, such as Mason Shaw, a 198cm forward who like Kosi can play in the ruck. Then we still need a fullback, and a genuine ruckman, maybe taken later on.

Super drafts are not because you have 7 super players, it means talent is running very deep. Guys at 30 could be worth a top 10 in a regular draft. We need to have access not a top pick.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

.'sooner' access being preferable to 'later' access i think is the message.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Surely the bottoming out theory is dead by now. Sydney have managed to refresh their list without bottoming out. They didn't do it with a bunch of early picks either. They didn't trade away all their premiership champions. They let their stars retire with dignity, except Hall who punched his way out of town. Meanwhile the teams that did exit out their champs too soon are still languishing in the dark recesses of the lower ranks.

I still expect BJ to either sign long term or sign a one year deal so he can be a FA after next season. At that point, he can still sign with us, GWS or anybody else he may desire. None of the others - Joey, Gram, etc - would be worth much in a trade. If BJ leaves, we'll get some compensation and enough cap relief that any salary cap woes we have will be over. BJs decision will not make or break the club.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

[quote="vacuous space"]Surely the bottoming out theory is dead by now. Sydney have managed to refresh their list without bottoming out. They didn't do it with a bunch of early picks either. They didn't trade away all their premiership champions. They let their stars retire with dignity, except Hall who punched his way out of town. Meanwhile the teams that did exit out their champs too soon are still languishing in the dark recesses of the lower ranks.

Here here!
Or as you under 30s say - This.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

There is no guarantee if you trade for picks, that the pick will be a star.

Most likely not as most likely we would not get an exceptional pick. Likely result would be losing Goddard to gain an "Armo".

The whole idea of trading away stars for picks is just fantasy. It is admitting defeat before you start.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Most likely not as most likely we would not get an exceptional pick. Likely result would be losing Goddard to gain an "Armo".

The whole idea of trading away stars for picks is just fantasy. It is admitting defeat before you start.

Too true, Fiora, Tambling, Gardiner, Kepler Bradley and plenty of others went in the top 10 picks in the draft none of them reached the heights of Goddard. We would be better off attacking the GWS and GC teams for homesick kids with development by top administrators than swapping our good players for a handful of beans. They have some incredible talent that won't get games so we should be looking.

Free agency can work for us and we should look at being the manipulator not the victim. we have worked the system well in the professional era. Just need to exploit it in some new ways now.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

gringo wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Too true, Fiora, Tambling, Gardiner, Kepler Bradley and plenty of others went in the top 10 picks in the draft none of them reached the heights of Goddard. We would be better off attacking the GWS and GC teams for homesick kids with development by top administrators than swapping our good players for a handful of beans. They have some incredible talent that won't get games so we should be looking.

Agree! I just don't believe that nettlefold is the guy that can handle this role.
He's an incompetent clown. And we're In big danger of not taking advantage of this.

Free agency can work for us and we should look at being the manipulator not the victim. we have worked the system well in the professional era. Just need to exploit it in some new ways now.

citywest

plugger66 wrote:
citywest wrote:
SMS wrote:and gram and anyone else over 29 who is uncontracted and asking for a lot of money ... EXCEPT REIWOLDT, HAYES and BLAKE! why? Because they are the heart and soul and leadership of stkilda.

Retire Milne honorably at years end.

This 2012 draft is reported to be a super draft I say we get as many picks as possible and rebuild for 2015+ flag

whos with me?

Seriously let em go lets stop mucking around.

Thank you goddard and montagna and gram you have been stkilda greats and we will always love you but one more job you can do for us... that is to leave and free up space thank you.
I would go even further SMS, anyone who is over 28 and is uncontracted full stop should be either traded, delisted or retired. It is our only hope of rebuilding and challenging again within 5 years.

So Hayes is out as well as Joey. I am unsure how delisting Hayes helps our club. It would be a delisting because he doesnt want to retire and i doubt he is tradable. Please think before you post.
I did think before I posted plugger66. If we don't cut hard then it will take us probably 8 years at least to be challenging again. We need to cut hard so we can challenge again withinn 5 years. With the NZ deal on the horizon we will be able to survive the membership drop so from that perspective we should be ok.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
citywest wrote:

I would go even further SMS, anyone who is over 28 and is uncontracted full stop should be either traded, delisted or retired. It is our only hope of rebuilding and challenging again within 5 years.

So Hayes is out as well as Joey. I am unsure how delisting Hayes helps our club. It would be a delisting because he doesnt want to retire and i doubt he is tradable. Please think before you post.
I did think before I posted plugger66. If we don't cut hard then it will take us probably 8 years at least to be challenging again. We need to cut hard so we can challenge again withinn 5 years. With the NZ deal on the horizon we will be able to survive the membership drop so from that perspective we should be ok.

Can you explain how delisting the B&F favourite at the moment, and yes it is very early, helps us get better in 5 years instead of 8. You cant have just all young blokes in the middle so Hayes is valuable till either he wants to retire or his form doesnt stack up.

citywest

1. I didn't say only have young blokes. What I did say was...
We would still have many experienced players.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:1. I didn't say only have young blokes. What I did say was...
We would still have many experienced players.

Well who apart from Dal would be the older experienced guys in the middle of the ground?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
Super drafts are not because you have 7 super players, it means talent is running very deep. Guys at 30 could be worth a top 10 in a regular draft. We need to have access not a top pick.
Spot on...

If I remember correctly, the 'super draft' of 2001, where we got Ball, X, Dal, Goose, Joey etc, from finishing right near the bottom, was the same draft that the Cats got the majority of their current core of the premiership teams of the past 5 years... Bartell, Johnson, Kelly etc... All with picks later than ours...

We should look to get as many picks as possible in the draft, but not by selling the farm...

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Can you explain how delisting the B&F favourite at the moment,

I did not realize there was talk of delisting Lenny!

Buckets
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:Can you explain how delisting the B&F favourite at the moment,

I did not realize there was talk of delisting Lenny!
Citywest made the remark that anyone over 28 and uncontracted should be delisted, traded or retired.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you