As bad a decision as Luke Ball GF !

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Re: As bad a decision as Luke Ball GF !

Dave McNamara wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Thats weird considering Scott stated that he tried to get Wilkes to stay on but the paperwork for the Sub was already lodged. Hmmmm..
Hi Clarky, could you elaborate on what you mean by that? Thanks.
SEN Journo/Commentator Darren Parkin stated this:
Scott watters said decision to sub Wilkes was made prior to mark and goal. They tried to reverse it but was too late as paperwork lodged...

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

from herald sun website
ST KILDA coach Scott Watters admitted that he tried unsuccessfully to reverse the third-term substitution of Beau Wilkes as the desperate Saints held out a much-improved Melbourne by 18 points at the MCG last night.
On a night when Stephen Milne kicked his 500th career major and Lenny Hayes kicked the sealing goal, Watters admitted that he had tried to change the decision after Wilkes had taken a strong mark.
But the paperwork had already been lodged and Wilkes, who was a late inclusion for the game, had to come from the ground midway through the third term, having kicked a game-high three goals in his first match with the club.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

First time I've heard booing when the sub announcement has been announced. I haven't read all this thread and just got back from the game and haven't heard if he was injured or not, but if he wasn't then that was a mighty bad call to sub Wilkes off IMO.
Had just kicked a fantastic goal and taken a brilliant hanger (when no-one else really looked like taking an overhead mark) and was clearly our best option up forward at the time.
He was a big plus for us tonight.

*Edit: I've just read the post above mine, thanks BigCarl and glad to hear it.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sun 29 Apr 2012 3:13am, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Richter
SS Life Member

With the retrospectoscope Milne was poor in the last Q. Shame for Wilkes to come off, but could easily understand it. Difficult conditions, playing 3 Talls against a gutsy Melbourne one had to come off. Stanley's the second ruck and Rooey didn't have his best night but is clearly not going to be taken off in a close game.

Question is does he hold his spot vs Kosi? For mine, probably not, but would be happy enough either way.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Whats concerning me is that Wilkes is our best marking option............WTF is Riewoldts go? does not look like taking a mark ........against a Melb side minus a key back...........gonna be up against it with Hawks next week on that effort.

“Yeah….nah””
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Whats concerning me is that Wilkes is our best marking option............WTF is Riewoldts go? does not look like taking a mark ........against a Melb side minus a key back...........gonna be up against it with Hawks next week on that effort.
Hawks have no decent tall backs. Got to in it in there though.

8856brother wrote:
Teflon wrote:Whats concerning me is that Wilkes is our best marking option............WTF is Riewoldts go? does not look like taking a mark ........against a Melb side minus a key back...........gonna be up against it with Hawks next week on that effort.
Hawks have no decent tall backs. Got to in it in there though.
True. They have soem handy contested ball winners though and are deadly by foot...their skills are good. Will mega test us.

“Yeah….nah””
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Wilkes wasn't injured fellas. I heard on the radio in the car on the way home from the G that the coaching team had already done the paperwork arranging the substitution and replacement, and as Wilkes had been relatively quiet leading up to the time of filling out the documents he had to go off.
Agree that he should have stayed on, and so did the fans in the Ponsford, but the i's and the t's had already been crossed, so they couldn't change their minds then. Alas, too late.
P.S. where were you Sainters? For the second week in a row we were out yelled by the opposition supporters. I mean if my two year old can sit out in the rain with me, I don't see why some of the more mature supporters can't. I hope there's a better showing next week against whorethorn...

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:Apparently they didn't score.

I read that Polo ended up with 9 touches...

Gee, FFS, get a clue :wink: :lol:
Really Polo got NINE touches - well who would have thought :D :D :D

Oh dear....how embarrassment for some in this thread :oops: :oops: :oops:

Joffa you are as big as tosser as Plugger! No one has said Polo should not have come on what people are suggesting that Wilkes should have remained. I posted before I heard Watters state he was injured which I will accept on face value!
Correct weight..... :D

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:With the retrospectoscope Milne was poor in the last Q. Shame for Wilkes to come off, but could easily understand it. Difficult conditions, playing 3 Talls against a gutsy Melbourne one had to come off. Stanley's the second ruck and Rooey didn't have his best night but is clearly not going to be taken off in a close game.

Question is does he hold his spot vs Kosi? For mine, probably not, but would be happy enough either way.
This. Milne needs a week off/in a Sandy guernsey. Love the guy and respect his past record, but between him, Blake - who is a fantastic clubman, don't get me wrong, Roo being out of sorts/having a sore shoulder, and Geary and Polo, we have a pretty lacklustre form line at the moment.

Agree with Millarsaint - Siposs and Ledger need to come in next week, along with Kosi - at least he can kick straight.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
Richter wrote:With the retrospectoscope Milne was poor in the last Q. Shame for Wilkes to come off, but could easily understand it. Difficult conditions, playing 3 Talls against a gutsy Melbourne one had to come off. Stanley's the second ruck and Rooey didn't have his best night but is clearly not going to be taken off in a close game.

This. Milne needs a week off/in a Sandy guernsey. Love the guy and respect his past record, but between him, Blake - who is a fantastic clubman, don't get me wrong, Roo being out of sorts/having a sore shoulder, and Geary and Polo, we have a pretty lacklustre form line at the moment.

Agree with Millarsaint - Siposs and Ledger need to come in next week, along with Kosi - at least he can kick straight.
did you check that with experts like sainterK and joffa the site clown.... :roll:

Richter
SS Life Member

Wilkes took 4 marks, Stanley 6, 4 of which were in the first Q when the game was ripe for tall forwards. Fact is Teffers, Rooey is not the Elite player he used to be. And he isn't about to turn back in to one. But as long as the forwards as a unit operate then I for one care little.

For mine, the big question mark is over Milne. I thought he had a pig of a game today. Hit a post that he would previously have slotted in the first 5 mins, selfish in the 3rd when had Stanley and Rooey in support, and was dreadful in the last. I would drop him for Siposs now, though I doubt that Watters will do this, but when Schneider comes back then for mine he certainly is the first small attacking player off the rank.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
Wilkes took 4 marks, Stanley 6, 4 of which were in the first Q when the game was ripe for tall forwards. Fact is Teffers, Rooey is not the Elite player he used to be. And he isn't about to turn back in to one. But as long as the forwards as a unit operate then I for one care little.

For mine, the big question mark is over Milne. I thought he had a pig of a game today. Hit a post that he would previously have slotted in the first 5 mins, selfish in the 3rd when had Stanley and Rooey in support, and was dreadful in the last. I would drop him for Siposs now, though I doubt that Watters will do this, but when Schneider comes back then for mine he certainly is the first small attacking player off the rank.
Wow....did you check that with experts like sainterK and joffa the site clown...

Griggsy
SS Life Member

All I know is I still hate the sub rule and I dred the next change they will inevitably make to this game.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

9 touches eh....

All would have been silk too..... So he came on fresh half way through the third, when there were a lot of tired bodies and got 9 touches in 45 minutes....

There only real score came from a Polo error when he failed to clear or kill the ball on the boundary and Bartrem kicked a nice goal.

Two mistakes were made

1 - making a run with GOP the sub
2 - subbing off the most likely looking key fwd on the ground, Wilkes presence was critical

Would have subbed off
Goddard, cripps, Gilbert, Blake or Gram..... For ledger, Siposs, Newnes or Ross..... Who should be the subs

Poor Call

Has coached poorly last two games

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

No, not Cripps. Deserves a go. He did well tonight. the rest of what you said I absolutely agree with.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

clarky449 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Thats weird considering Scott stated that he tried to get Wilkes to stay on but the paperwork for the Sub was already lodged. Hmmmm..
Hi Clarky, could you elaborate on what you mean by that? Thanks.
SEN Journo/Commentator Darren Parkin stated this:
Scott watters said decision to sub Wilkes was made prior to mark and goal. They tried to reverse it but was too late as paperwork lodged...
Thanks. :)

Whoops, and thanks also to all the other posters who responded. :)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Fancy having to submit paperwork to make a sub during a football game...and then not being able to reverse that decision, or its timing! Is that for real? What a completely unecessary, beaurecratic and intrusive move by the AFL into a club's strategy if it is.

If we must have a sub at all, why not just make it simple: One guy comes off and puts on a red vest while his teammate takes off the green and runs onto the ground...when the coach wants him to...after x number of changes of mind etc.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

3 pages of carrying on about a B grade full forward who slotted a few shots against a B grade (or worse) defensive setup.

Personally, I'm much more worried about how our midfield (bar Lenny) performed.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Bad Co.
Club Player

Some unbelievably nego. comments early on here! Hard to believe some posters SUPPORT the club! Maybe some don't?

"As bad a decision as Luke Ball GF"???

Luke Ball's '09 GF time on bench is becoming an urban myth, confounded by media and anti-Saints public isn't it?

Would like to hear from anyone who knows exactly how long he was on the ground.
A highly paid journo. (Barrett?), recently stated he was left on the bench for the WHOLE last qtr?

Much like Tim Lame stating "St.Kilda could have had Wellingham for Luke Ball, but chose not to take him". ???? WTF?

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:
SainterK wrote:Oh for goodness sake guys.

It was actually the perfect decision.

The last quarter was always going to be full of stoppages, holding on for dear life, contested footy....Polo was just what was needed.

Did you honestly think it was going to pretty?

Well said, the usual footy experts showing their usual football knowledge.

Polo was very good in close and at the contests all through the last quarter.

tell me you armchair hero's how many points did Melbourne score in the last quarter?

What was that?

Sorry cant hear you.

How many was it again?

+1

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

WATTERS ADMITS SUB BLUNDER

SCOTT Watters says St Kilda tried to reverse the decision to substitute Beau Wilkes after he entered a purple patch in Saturday night's 18-point win over Melbourne but couldn't retract the paperwork.

Wilkes kicked his third goal at the 14-minute mark of the third quarter, and just over a minute later, took a big leap over Jared Rivers and was paid a mark.

He went back and took the set shot but managed only a point. He was subbed off moments later.

Watters said the Saints had filed the paperwork to replace the former West Coast utility - who was appearing in his first AFL game since round 14, 2010 - before that two-minute period. "We made the decision to get him off [because] we thought we needed to go a little bit smaller," Watters said.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

The call was clearly a structure thing, with the rain still coming down, Watters thoight we were top heavy in the forward line, where melbourne were clearing the ball with relative ease.

So its either Captain Roo, who had a decent last quarter, Stanley, who was playing well and was needed to help out in the ruck, or Wilkes, who hadnt been sighted from halfway thru the first quarter, until his purple patch late in the 3rd, which was after the decision had been made anyway.

In Scott we trust....

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

sendmehomehappy wrote:Fancy having to submit paperwork to make a sub during a football game...and then not being able to reverse that decision, or its timing! Is that for real? What a completely unecessary, beaurecratic and intrusive move by the AFL into a club's strategy if it is.

If we must have a sub at all, why not just make it simple: One guy comes off and puts on a red vest while his teammate takes off the green and runs onto the ground...when the coach wants him to...after x number of changes of mind etc.
Paperwork must also only be submitted on yellow post it notes. Rule 34356xz.

bobmurray wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:

did you check that with experts like sainterK and joffa the site clown.... :roll:
You were the one bagging Polo with your typical clueless post and rolleyes.

You are an A grade halfwit that Never has anything good to say about the Saints.

9 touches in a qtr in wet trying conditions and you bag him.

You are a clueless simpleton. But anyone reading your posts can see that.

cabbage.
bobmurray wrote:Anyway...how good was Polo when he came on...sub of the year... :roll:
What a typical idiotic thoughtless ignorant piece of Sh*t from the biggest troll and fool on this forum.
Last edited by joffaboy on Sun 29 Apr 2012 10:36am, edited 1 time in total.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)