So Ben was killed again...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Re: So Ben was killed again...

Dave McNamara wrote:Seeing that Ben is named to play again this week... but then looking at the title of this post... looks like if this keeps up we'll have to call him Kenny...

(Which one is the irony icon?)
:lol:

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

samoht wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:Point is kind of mute though as we had salary issues...
moot not mute

Spelling has suddenly become de rigueur ?
Seems a little strange to single out just the one poster for a spelling mistake.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

There was the general consensus that there was very little ruck talent in the draft or trade period. We could have gotten Elton but obviously thought Ross was the way to go.

Not even Maric was available as he wanted to be gifted games and refused to be number two ruckman. The only other ruck worth a punt would have been Broc, but I think there may be issues with him. Who else was picked up, Pattison and Hudson? Pass... Mac, Kos, Rhys, Blake n Lever will hopefully do the job this year.

Maybe we should have tried to get Goose back to solve our FB and RUCK problems! :)

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:If this trend continues (see 2011 - yes his sc/dt scores were big however big whoop) do we look to trade in another experienced 2nd ruck?

If supporters believe that we are still a good side we need a ruckman that wins taps and beats opposition in the hitouts. At the moment Ben is not doing this.

Thoughts?

Stop complaining, we have the only ruckman in the AFL who can't ruck.

Next you will be wanting a team of footballers who can play football.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

ace wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:If this trend continues (see 2011 - yes his sc/dt scores were big however big whoop) do we look to trade in another experienced 2nd ruck?

If supporters believe that we are still a good side we need a ruckman that wins taps and beats opposition in the hitouts. At the moment Ben is not doing this.

Thoughts?

I am not complaining? I am suggesting this is a major problem as Ben is probably not the player we need considering our mature list.

A mature list (quality matures) need a quality mature ruckman...we do not have this at present.

Ben is going to be a great player and I have no doubt of this however we need a quality ruck to maximise the talent of the mature midfield.

Make sense?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:

Thoughts?

I am still waiting for the day you make a funny comment. Hurry up I am getting old.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Things that go BUMP in the night...start of the 4th quarter now and can Darren jolly get 300% more hit outs than Mac?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

So Ben was killed again... Part Two.
Maybe we ought to have Rhys start in the centre bounces and Ben at CHF and once the bounce has occurred they swap spots. Ben moves around the ground where he is so effective and Rhys goes forward, where he is likely to be more effective than Ben. Then, once the next goal is kicked, they swap again and Rhys takes the bounce, then goes forward again and so on.
The difference between Rhys and Ben at the centre bounces today was startling, at least as far as getting first hands on the ball and stopping Jolly and Dawes from having much say in where the ball went.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Fri 16 Mar 2012 11:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If Rhys keeps it up, and develops ruck skills at a freakish rate...Ben wouldn't be vulnerable would he?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Not sure, but I know Ben would have been much better suited to playing ruck in the AFL about 12-15 years ago.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Is this the same Ben McEvoy who is rated by footy judges as one of the best young rucks in the AFL. Its not like our supporters to go off half cocked. Now Stanley is the great white hope. Is this the same guy who was rated as terrible last season by Saints supporters. its not like our supporters to go off half cocked.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Couple of issues with Ben

He cannot jump

He is not strong enough

He is slow

The coaches have worked his aerobic tank and running skills hard for two pre seasons now,......so we have a slow, good runner who is lean...
I would have put kilos on him, and added to his strength, knowing he will never be know for his athleticism...

And can you believe he is one of the shorter #1 ruckmen going around
Jacobs, luenberger, warnock, sandilands, bellchambers, bailey, Macintosh, cox, smith ...... All 203+

Jamar, Hille, Mumford, west, maric are all a bit shorter.....but absolute tanks

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Couple of issues with Ben

He cannot jump

He is not strong enough

He is slow

The coaches have worked his aerobic tank and running skills hard for two pre seasons now,......so we have a slow, good runner who is lean...
I would have put kilos on him, and added to his strength, knowing he will never be know for his athleticism...

Jacobs, luenberger, warnock, sandilands, bellchambers, bailey, Macintosh, cox, smith ...... All 203+

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Couple of issues with Ben

He cannot jump

He is not strong enough

He is slow

Unless you are a AFL coach I will go with what they have decided to do. Afterall they are blessed with a hell of as lot more information then we get.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I wonder how Ben would go against Mike Pyke...He's got to be able to beat someone.....surely

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Many of the competition's elite ruckman, you know, the ones we wish we had, were considered duds when they were Ben's age.

Yes I know that doesnt help our current situation however many people seem to be just writing the big fella off.

Chances are he'll be a gun by the time he reaches his mid 20s and we've just got to manage the ruck situation the best we can while we wait for him to mature.

But go ahead and malign an outstanding young man if it gives you pleasure :roll:

PJ
SS Life Member

Stanley should be 1st ruck ATM, We have bugger all big men so there is no way he'll be going anywhere. I agree with the sentiment that he'll develop with time but peobably as a 2nd ruck forward.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Stanley should be 1st ruck ATM, We have bugger all big men so there is no way he'll be going anywhere. I agree with the sentiment that he'll develop with time but peobably as a 2nd ruck forward.

Is this the same Stanley who wasnt even rucking at sandy last year. If Stanley rucks then Ben wouldnt play. He is our best ruck prospect so he must play.

PJ
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
PJ wrote:Stanley should be 1st ruck ATM, We have bugger all big men so there is no way he'll be going anywhere. I agree with the sentiment that he'll develop with time but peobably as a 2nd ruck forward.

Is this the same Stanley who wasnt even rucking at sandy last year. If Stanley rucks then Ben wouldnt play. He is our best ruck prospect so he must play.
Whether he rucked at Sandy is kinda irrelevant, currently his form is stronger than Bens both at clearances/centre bounces and around the game. With Ben at the tap we'd better hope Lenny has a blinder. Perhaps a couple of games at Sandy might help Ben.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Whether he rucked at Sandy is kinda irrelevant, currently his form is stronger than Bens both at clearances/centre bounces and around the game. With Ben at the tap we'd better hope Lenny has a blinder. Perhaps a couple of games at Sandy might help Ben.

Please tell me you are joking.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Couple of issues with Ben

He cannot jump

He is not strong enough

He is slow

So you're saying Ben dosent do weight anymore. Because you know this? Or from looking at him?

Those tanks have all have 7+ seasons and mumford is older.

Ben has always performed well running wise, doesn't that make him athletic??

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Many of the competition's elite ruckman, you know, the ones we wish we had, were considered duds when they were Ben's age.

Yes I know that doesnt help our current situation however many people seem to be just writing the big fella off.

Chances are he'll be a gun by the time he reaches his mid 20s and we've just got to manage the ruck situation the best we can while we wait for him to mature.

But go ahead and malign an outstanding young man if it gives you pleasure :roll:
If people are commenting on him being beaten in the ruck HOW is that maligning him, should they just pretend he's a world beater....

We shouldn't HAVE to manage the best we can...the club should have had better planning, or, maybe the well paid experts at the club expected Ben to come on
quicker than he has, if it's all to do with age then there should be incremental improvement not, he gets to 25 and VOILA he's the best at his craft. I'm waiting for the game
against the Hawks to see if he goes up against that rookie McCauley who has toweled him before.. Ben is 23 years old this year, only 2 years to go....can't wait...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Unless you are a AFL coach I will go with what they have decided to do. Afterall they are blessed with a hell of as lot more information then we get.
the ultimate line to hide behind and prevent discussion

any thoughts on what u'd do plugger?

RL played McQualter in 3 GF for a total of 10 kicks but the coach did it so it was right

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Is this the same Ben McEvoy who is rated by footy judges as one of the best young rucks in the AFL. Its not like our supporters to go off half cocked. Now Stanley is the great white hope. Is this the same guy who was rated as terrible last season by Saints supporters. its not like our supporters to go off half cocked.
Why are you such a condescending asshole? You're like a troll but worse, someone who flames people from the same side that he "supports", you must have such a pathetic life to seek validation from slagging people off behind a pseudonym that I almost feel sorry for you...

*sits back and waits for inane response desperately reeking of moral and intellectual superiority*

Seriously you ruin this site for people who actually enjoy reading about and discussing the club they love...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Is this the same Ben McEvoy who is rated by footy judges as one of the best young rucks in the AFL. Its not like our supporters to go off half cocked. Now Stanley is the great white hope. Is this the same guy who was rated as terrible last season by Saints supporters. its not like our supporters to go off half cocked.
Why are you such a condescending asshole? You're like a troll but worse, someone who flames people from the same side that he "supports", you must have such a pathetic life to seek validation from slagging people off behind a pseudonym that I almost feel sorry for you...

*sits back and waits for inane response desperately reeking of moral and intellectual superiority*

Seriously you ruin this site for people who actually enjoy reading about and discussing the club they love...
Nice post :D