Will we really be that bad?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:My belief is that lyon leaving the way he did will galvanise the team.
He basically told the footy world by his actions that he thinks the saints window has closed and this groups chance to win a flag has gone.
Similarly he told the footy world that luke ball was no good 3 years ago.
If I was a player I know what I would be thinking. I reckon we might shove it right up him (as teddy whitten would say).
He is right though.
He basically told the footy world by his actions, that he was after the best offer.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:My belief is that lyon leaving the way he did will galvanise the team.
He basically told the footy world by his actions that he thinks the saints window has closed and this groups chance to win a flag has gone.
If I was a player I know what I would be thinking. I reckon we might shove it right up him (as teddy whitten would say).
He is right though.
He basically told the footy world by his actions, that he was after the best offer.
I think their is more to the story. I still think Ross would preferred to stay at the saints IMO.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
saintly
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
He is right though.
I think their is more to the story. I still think Ross would preferred to stay at the saints IMO.

If ro$$ preferred to stay at the saints he would have. but he went for the money. The saints did the right thing. Wait until the end of te 2nd year of his extension, then decide he still had a year to go on his contract.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

What Lyon really said:
1.I'm a one trick pony and that trick is now redundant.
2.My winning strike rate will never get any better with my one trick and the role players I brought in to implement it.
3.I don't know how to coach a team to play attacking footy.
4.I am above being overseen by Pelchen(or anyone else)

Conclusion:Please shut the door on way out!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:What Lyon really said: 1.I'm a one trick pony ...
I think, at worst, he was a two trick pony. But really, how self flagellating do you want to get? Move to 2012.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Sarcasm alert needed re Lyon's 2 tricks.
2nd one was played on Freo!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon is a proven AFL coach.

Watters is an unknown.

Id just spend more time prayin Watters has what it takes cause if he cant do anything with this group we are years in the wilderness..

“Yeah….nah””
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

given our draw , if we play the same s*** boring game style we did in 2011 , we should be able to win 12 games . this will get us into the finals !!!
Now if watters can get some talented players to play with a bit more flair , we can maybe go allt he way , only time will tell .

In red white and black from 73
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
He is right though.

If ro$$ preferred to stay at the saints he would have. but he went for the money. The saints did the right thing. Wait until the end of te 2nd year of his extension, then decide he still had a year to go on his contract.
Well didnt The club change some of the contract details after Ross Agreed. If so i would be pissed.

I DONT SEE WHY PEOPLE HATE ROSS LYON AND THINK HE IS A CRAP COACH. GROW UP YOU FOOTY NIMBATS.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Don't hate him.

Just pointing out that I think he would of walked to either of the Demons or Freo, just depended on the cheque.

Don't agree it was a case of tiring of the Saints list.

More money problems that needed addressing.

PJ
SS Life Member

Gotta say SK I can see why you would have the belief in Gwilt and Dempster but I don't hold out much hope for Gears. Hope you're right but he hasn't shown much.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

first and foremost he wants longevity at the top (maximum cash).
he knows the only way you can stay long term as a coach is to win a flag.

he thinks freo are a better chance and that our time has past.

he was wrong about luke ball. he will be wrong again.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:he thinks freo are a better chance and that our time has past.
You think Con?

Unless the rumours that he was close to signing with Melbourne were true, and Freo swooped in at the last minute.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:he thinks freo are a better chance and that our time has past.
You think Con?

Unless the rumours that he was close to signing with Melbourne were true, and Freo swooped in at the last minute.
he thought freo AND melbourne were better chances at a flag than us.
if he thought we could win it in 2012 - he would have finished his contract and signed a big whoppa in late 2012.

and hes thinking if saints do bad in 2012 i could be out of the game completely!
so u can see why he would take a 4 year deal when he had lost faith in us.

anyway. probably best for all parties in the medium to long run!

but i seriously dont reackon we are going to be as bad as most seem to think. we have too many good and proud players.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:and hes thinking if saints do bad in 2012 i could be out of the game completely!
it's a fair point. very few coaches get to survive the lull which follows a sustained period of challenging. malthouse and worsfold the only two recent ones i can remember.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:and hes thinking if saints do bad in 2012 i could be out of the game completely!
it's a fair point. very few coaches get to survive the lull which follows a sustained period of challenging. malthouse and worsfold the only two recent ones i can remember.
and both those guys had flags to their names so they got extra leeway.
if u have no flag and a few bad years you are done for. and once you are out of a coaching job there is really no coming back. you are perceived as tarnished goods. rightly or wrongly thats how the afl works.
so you can see why a 4 year deal was pretty darn appealing.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 16 Jan 2012 7:40pm, edited 2 times in total.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

I DONT SEE WHY PEOPLE HATE ROSS LYON AND THINK HE IS A CRAP COACH. GROW UP YOU FOOTY NIMBATS.[/quote]
Whether Lyon is a crap coach remains to be seen.
The fact that he is a crap human being has already benn proven(IMHO)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

The reason why he moved to Freo is the $$$$$$

Huge increase in salary...and huge signing on bonus.

IMO where the Saints, Freo or the Dees would be likely to finish was sadly nota significant factor with in in an equation where cash was king.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

The reason why he moved to Freo is the $$$$$$

Huge increase in salary...and huge signing on bonus.

IMO where the Saints, Freo or the Dees would be likely to finish was sadly nota significant factor with in in an equation where cash was king.
essentially u are correct i agree. which is closely connected to the thread title:

the method of lyons exit enhanced the perception that we were in freefall and he was jumping a sinking ship and strengthened the whole "saints are in rapid decline" idea widely held.

but what you are suggesting and i am suggesting is - he went purely and simply for cash - and we are not even in decline at all.
the perception/belief is wrong.

i dont reckon we will be as bad as opposition and media want to believe.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Reckon there's breath in the old girl yet.

Can't see the order changing much. Len back, BJ/Roo good from the get go, and the young uns show a bit, well, you never know your luck in a big country.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
matrix
Saintsational Legend

$$$$

SMS
Club Player

Guys, calm down. Ross Lyon ... like it or not is our second most successful coach of all time. The guy took us to 2 grand finals and the players lost it by missing their opportunities!! The coach sets up those opportunities!

The cats arguably the greatest bunch of players put together were powerless to stop our opportunities in 2009 ... we just didn't take those opportunities!

Make no mistake he is a great coach and this is business he had to take that incredible offer. And IMO its worked out best for everyone ... we needed new life and we have it.

My only gripe with Lyon is he didnt blood youngsters ... and he threw away luke ball! But IF lovett had done what he was supposed to then all wouldve been forgiven I assure you.

Either way Ross has played a part in this 2012 premiership we are about to win so don't hate on him too much just enjoy this year as we win the grand final comfortably on a sunny day!

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Ok then....... JUST SACK THE BBOARD!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The window is still wide open.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
gringo
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Gotta say SK I can see why you would have the belief in Gwilt and Dempster but I don't hold out much hope for Gears. Hope you're right but he hasn't shown much.
I would say Gears is in exactly the same boat as the other two. All had solid game styles but were still just off the pace and hadn't taken the next step.

Gwilt burst out of the blocks in his first game and struggled to break into the seniors until given the forward defensive role. He reinvented himself as a running back with accurate disposal.

Dempster was a no frills tagger/ defender with poor disposal under pressure and an uninspiring style especially when played as the forward defender, reinvented himself as backline link man/ midsized defender.

Geary is a hard as nails small defender in the mould of Bakes who likes to kick a goal. If he can find a role that suits him he will become a Saints favourite son. He has the madness of Hamill where he will put himself over the ball when not sensible.