Fevola

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:When are people going to realise the Ben that ended up at Richmond was VERY different to the Ben that St Kilda would of welcomed.

Didn't you watch the doco?

Us refusing him was what caused him to hit rock bottom, think that his AFL days were actually over, reassess where his life was going, and actually learn the defenition of humility.

You just can't cut out the Tigers Ben and paste it in at St Kilda.
Very well said K.

It's why many players who have potential only reach it when their careers are on the line.

And it's also why many of us never expected Lovett to do what he did, as soon as he did, when his career seemed over only a month or two earlier.

shmic_s
Club Player

SainterK wrote:When are people going to realise the Ben that ended up at Richmond was VERY different to the Ben that St Kilda would of welcomed.

Didn't you watch the doco?

Us refusing him was what caused him to hit rock bottom, think that his AFL days were actually over, reassess where his life was going, and actually learn the defenition of humility.

You just can't cut out the Tigers Ben and paste it in at St Kilda.
I agree. Much the same with draft picks.

Who could say if we picked Darling and he came over from WA to the saints that he would have had the same impact.

So many different factors.

For what it is worth, I feel we would have to look at Fev.
Second efforts would be the issue IMO.
Could we lock the ball in the forward 50 with Fevola, Riewoldt and McEvoy/Kosi?
I don't think so. Even having Saad in there to help with that.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think Ben was well aware of the rules put in place by the AFL for his return to footy in 2009.....he was the most tested player in the AFL (rightfully so).....and he simply could not afford to take drus if he wanted to succeed. If he did, he would have been deregistered.....and really we would have lost nothing.....

What Richmond gained was a
Handy player (no longer a champion, but like Harvey from 06-08 a contributor) 5th in their B&F in 17 games was solid
Mentor who set a training example to younger players (Crawford, Buckley, Harvey, Bradley and Cousins were head and shoulders above all other WRT training and playing workload)
A player with BIG game experience and success
And finally a public relations bonanza - they afforded a guy a second chance, embraced him and came out of it smelling like roses...membership and positive public sentiment were off field bonuses

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think Ben was well aware of the rules put in place by the AFL for his return to footy in 2009.....he was the most tested player in the AFL (rightfully so).....and he simply could not afford to take drus if he wanted to succeed. If he did, he would have been deregistered.....and really we would have lost nothing.....

Handy player (no longer a champion, but like Harvey from 06-08 a contributor) 5th in their B&F in 17 games was solid
Mentor who set a training example to younger players (Crawford, Buckley, Harvey, Bradley and Cousins were head and shoulders above all other WRT training and playing workload)
And finally a public relations bonanza - they afforded a guy a second chance, embraced him and came out of it smelling like roses...membership and positive public sentiment were off field bonuses
A "public realtions bonanza". LMFAO!!! Are you having a lend? It would have provided a massive distraction. We won 19 consecutive games but surley getting Cousins would have helped. Pleaaasssse....

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:Fev will come to the saints. Live with it. Great for football doesn't effect us that much. He plays rubbish he is at sandy he plays good he kicks goals for the saints. Storm in a teacup relax.
You are 100% correct. Yes he will come to the Saints. I have absolutley no doubt what so ever.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
BigMart wrote:I think Ben was well aware of the rules put in place by the AFL for his return to footy in 2009.....he was the most tested player in the AFL (rightfully so).....and he simply could not afford to take drus if he wanted to succeed. If he did, he would have been deregistered.....and really we would have lost nothing.....

A "public realtions bonanza". LMFAO!!! Are you having a lend? It would have provided a massive distraction. We won 19 consecutive games but surley getting Cousins would have helped. Pleaaasssse....
There is no doubt Cousins represented a big risk. If not, why was he not picked up until the very last selection?

And I think it's fairly easy to form an argument that Richmond were in a far better position to take that risk than the Saints. What would have happened if it had gone wrong? Would the fans have dumped even more manure on the Tigers doorstep? Would it have disrupted their finals plans?

And unlike the Tiges, our club already had fine leaders and mentors.

Furthermore, the Saints did not need a camera crew following the team around all season while it filmed a documentary on Ben The Druggie.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why was it not a boost in public relations for Richmond.....reported positively in the media...membership increased???

I think it worked out a bit better than our pick up.....that was definitely

BTW
Did we win a trophy for winning 19 straight????
didnt we lose a GF due to some lack of experience and composure

Wasn't our biggest weakness was clearly our bottom 6 players in 2009/2011...

Question
Would Cousins have been better than our 4 worse players in either 2009 or 2010???

Remebering the gap between us winning and losing was not a lot

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Doc,

We saw what happened if it goes wrong (and right for that matter with Gardiner)

Lovett went horribly wrong (as did Ball) and what happened??? we drew a Grand Final....unfortunately we lost a DP in that process

If a player stuffs up (lovett, cousins, Fev, Hall) why should the club giving him an opportunity take the blame.....clubs dont ask players to Rape, Take drugs, drink, gamble, king hit???

in this case
The risks were well known

Why was Cousins overlooked by all clubs......just like why was Jackson Darling overlooked.....in hindsight mistakingly....if he tested Positive in 2009...clubs would have breathed a collective sigh of relief and Richmonds Board would have probably held there recruiting staff responsible (like ours was re: lovett)
Taking a chance vs image and sponsership $$$$

Richmond had ZERO to lose.....and gained plenty...
Cousins time there was seen as positive
by
Coaching Staff, Players, Media, Sponsers, AFL

james rose
Club Player

Just saw Fev in Highett near fitness first. Looks in good shape.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Saw Alex Fevola partying recently. She looked in good shape too.

defacto
Club Player

james rose wrote:Just saw Fev in Highett near fitness first. Looks in good shape.
no he doesnt. saw him play in the NTFL a couple weeks back. he's overweight and cannot cover enough ground to be defencive.

james rose
Club Player

defacto wrote:
james rose wrote:Just saw Fev in Highett near fitness first. Looks in good shape.
no he doesnt. saw him play in the NTFL a couple weeks back. he's overweight and cannot cover enough ground to be defencive.
I lost 5 KGs in the last 2 weeks and your telling me someone who wants to play AFL football can't have lost weight in that same time period?

He looked in good shape.

What you have just said is like me saying I'm writing in a blue pen right now, only for you to say no your not two weeks ago when you were interstate you were using a black one.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:
defacto wrote:
I lost 5 KGs in the last 2 weeks and your telling me someone who wants to play AFL football can't have lost weight in that same time period?

He looked in good shape.

What you have just said is like me saying I'm writing in a blue pen right now, only for you to say no your not two weeks ago when you were interstate you were using a black one.
FYI your text is coming out white.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why was it not a boost in public relations for Richmond.....reported positively in the media...membership increased???

I think it worked out a bit better than our pick up.....that was definitely

BTW
Did we win a trophy for winning 19 straight????
didnt we lose a GF due to some lack of experience and composure

Wasn't our biggest weakness was clearly our bottom 6 players in 2009/2011...

Question
Would Cousins have been better than our 4 worse players in either 2009 or 2010???

Remebering the gap between us winning and losing was not a lot
What Richmond got was 15 of 22 games in one year and 17 of 22 games in another, and average of 20 odd undamaging possessions, and nothing particularly helpful in the grander scheme.

Statistically, Dean Polo was on par for us in 2011 in a significantly better team.

I admire BC for having a last crack. In a way I admire Richmond for taking him on.

But what did they REALLY get for it all?

If your read the press, there's little in the way of spare revenue flaoting about at Punt Rd.

Reality is they got two more years in footballing purgatory for NO reward whatsoever.

History says it was a nice gesture by the Tigers. History also says it was an entirely s*** move.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
james rose
Club Player

fingers wrote:
james rose wrote:
defacto wrote:
FYI your text is coming out white.
Gold- but two years ago it was grey. You must be wrong.

groupie1
Club Player

point well made

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Cousins looks stoned off his head in your nic groupie1 :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
groupie1
Club Player

Hammer wrote:I agree with those saying get him.
Minimum wage, bonus for goals kicked.
See ya with one stuff up.

Could free up Roo and Kosi a bit too.
Minimum wage, bonus for each contest he gets to the direct result of which is a St Kilda goal.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga