I am excited for the first time since GT.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Saints43 wrote:It's just been years of that rubbish here.
And much of it deserved.

Say what you like about Lyon's strategies and selection decisions, but his win/loss ratio for the Saints reads 76-41-4 to GT's 63-59-1.
Say what you like about GT, but - after his first season and a bit where I strongly suspect it was club policy that we weren't trying too hard to win any games - his record was 57-36-0: like Lyon's record , just a shade over 60%. And GT had to lift his team up from the bottom of the table while Lyon inherited a team that had made the finals for 3 seasons in a row.

Lyon is a good coach, and arguably a better one than GT, but it's important to put the statistical picture in its true perspective.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Stop making sense MB. You've been warned before. There is no room for rational explanations and facts when discussing the relative merits of GT and Ross Lyin'.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Saints43 wrote:I didn't say anything about Lyon's strategies and selection decisions. I'm talking about people who make ridiculous generalisations for years on end (see your GT comments above) and then get upset about ridiculous generalisations about the next bloke.

As for the win-loss ratio analysis:
http://www.westofmoorabbin.com/wom/cont ... -2002-list
:lol: I think one of us is upset, alright... my first post was an ironic response to the OP.

Thin skinned much?

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
asiu
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
beartalbot wrote:
dragit wrote:Image

We could also have a separate forum for wankers without a sense of humour.
We do.

Its called the General forum.

New Members welcome.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Saints43
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:
Saints43 wrote:I didn't say anything about Lyon's strategies and selection decisions. I'm talking about people who make ridiculous generalisations for years on end (see your GT comments above) and then get upset about ridiculous generalisations about the next bloke.

As for the win-loss ratio analysis:
http://www.westofmoorabbin.com/wom/cont ... -2002-list
:lol: I think one of us is upset, alright... my first post was an ironic response to the OP.

Thin skinned much?
Oh, it was irony. Sorry, my mistake, I only understand irony by it's actual meaning.

Stick to stats.

realdeal
Club Player

saint3d wrote:
beartalbot wrote:I take it 3D it's the GT section of the thread that offended you.
Well let's just say that their is quite a few of us Sainters who, like Saint77, enjoyed our years under GT, Stan Alves & Kenny Sheldon etc.
I guess you could say we remain positive as some of us ride the waves of emotion that comes with supporting the Saints better than others.
The 70's & 80's were tough, however we still stick together.
I'm not offended by anything. I just question the use of a blanket statement like 'excited for the first time...' Effectively that's the same as saying 'I haven't been excited since...'

I remember being excited during the last two Grand Finals.

I remember being excited at the 2010 QF, and the 2009 PF.

I remember being excited while watching the Saints win 19 matches in a row. In fact, I remember saying at the time how exciting it was to go to the footy every week expecting, not just hoping, to win.

I liked Ross Lyon. I liked Grant Thomas. I liked Stan Alves. I never called for any of them to go, and was shocked (admittedly to varying degrees) by each of their departures.

If you want to talk about being positive, how about not claiming that the last five years have been completely dreary and unexciting?
+1 exactly.

Why do people have to talk in such extremes?

Maybe not last year as much because of all the turbulence but our recent history would and will go down as one of the most successful of our history.
I know i was excited!

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Saints43 wrote:Oh, it was irony. Sorry, my mistake, I only understand irony by it's actual meaning.

Stick to stats.
What, like number of times sacked from a coaching role?

Or number of Coaches Association awards won?

Am I helping, or do you need your blood pressure tablets? :P

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."