Raph

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Raph to Freo, strong rumour
we would love that one! :D

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
SainterK wrote:
markp wrote:
SainterK wrote:It's so :oops: hearing Nathan Thompson talking about the crap Saints fans give Raph.

Sad when the opinion out there is he'd be better out of St Kilda because of the fans.

:(
Yep, filth fans are said to be like an extra player.... us?
I believe he can make it, but I'm beginning to believe that it would be best for him to have a fresh start elsewhere. :?
So do I, on both counts... sometimes I even wonder if one of the reasons he seems to play better in the west and at the G is because he cant hear our 'fans' groan when he get the ball.
I reckon it's the space and he'd thrive at Subi, but yeah, could be that too...

markp
Saintsational Legend

No doubt, K.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

So what do we do with him? If we trade him, would anyone entertain this trade...

Brisbane gets: Raph, 42, 60, 78
Saints get: Fev, 34, 52, 70.

Assuming Fev on a watertight contract on minimum wage. Fev would probably go through to rookie draft but we improve our position, means Raph doesn't get delisted and Saints improve our financial position. Food for thought...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
ThePunter
Club Player

Repeat after me:

No one will trade for Fevola. The only way he'll be on an AFL list next year is if he is put on the "permission to vie for a rookie spot" lists that the clubs can now create (Richmond and Hawthorn did it last year), and he wins the final rookie spot in February 2012.

There is no way Fev will be on a senior list before New Years Day.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

If Raph leaves I could see us letting him go to GWS as an uncontracted player and receiving a compo pick for him.

Much like the Dogs have just done with Reid.

So basically, Raph isn't worth much, but GWS would take him for free, and we would get something in the way of compensation for him from the AFL. Win-Win.

If not Raph, then maybe we will do this with one or two of our other uncontracted players. (GWS can take more than one uncontracted player if the club agrees)

What do we think about something like this? I haven't heard anything, I'm merely just posing the question. Could be a good way to work the system.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:If Raph leaves I could see us letting him go to GWS as an uncontracted player and receiving a compo pick for him.

So basically, Raph isn't worth much, but GWS would take him for free, and we would get something in the way of compensation for him from the AFL. Win-Win.

If not Raph, then maybe we will do this with one or two of our other uncontracted players. (GWS can take more than one uncontracted player if the club agrees)

What do we think about something like this? I haven't heard anything, I'm merely just posing the question. Could be a good way to work the system.
Doubt that will happen because if they take him they cant get BJ as an uncontracted player next year.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
#1GILL wrote:If Raph leaves I could see us letting him go to GWS as an uncontracted player and receiving a compo pick for him.

Doubt that will happen because if they take him they cant get BJ as an uncontracted player next year.
That's an excellent point, didn't think about that.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

Took the words straight out of my mouth.

Strength through Loyalty
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ameet seemed to infer St Kilda are in talks with his manager

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

ThePunter wrote:Repeat after me:

No one will trade for Fevola. The only way he'll be on an AFL list next year is if he is put on the "permission to vie for a rookie spot" lists that the clubs can now create (Richmond and Hawthorn did it last year), and he wins the final rookie spot in February 2012.

There is no way Fev will be on a senior list before New Years Day.
No one will trade for Fevola. ... ah, thats better, not sure what came over me.

With Bains refusing to really talk about Raph it doesn't look good for him, I think delisting is on the cards. If thats the case, Raph and a swapping of draft picks might be a good move? Better anything than nothing...

Strength through Loyalty
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

After having picked up Saad and Milera, it may be time for Raph to go. After all with an Eqytion kid and another indigenous player, the Raph haters have been giving more ammo surely.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Took the words straight out of my mouth.
Wasn't the deadline for this 2pm today? i might be wrong though

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Parrot_Rosie
Club Player

Re: Raph

MadSaintFan wrote:Hazell also says St Kilda's Raph Clarke, who is out of contract, and North's Ben Warren, who has a year to run on his, would be open to offers from other clubs.

haha see ya raphster
I like Raph, I admit he does make mistakes but who doesn't?

Why do you think we have been a top side since 2004? It was because we were forced into a full rebuild. With the Tim Watson debacle and then the Malcolm Blight debacle our beloved St kilda was on the canvas down and out. We won 11 games in 3 seasons and in that time we scummed up 5 top 10 picks and 3 top 20 picks. Through our own ineptitude we were forced to do a major rebuild and that was the catalyst for sustained excellence over the last 8 years.
westy
Club Player

MadSaintFan wrote:Watched every game and spent hours in the crowd watching raph get caught holding the ball or turning it over Matrix. How can no body else see this? For every good spoil or good bit of play raph does, theres a just as bad turn over or error. We're not going to improve as a footy team with this sort of complacency.
Yeah, I think I can get an image you now! Over to you Dr.S for an hilarious image of what this bloke might look like.

I'm livin' in a madhouse
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Poor Raph. He's an easy target for gutless "supporters" who like to abuse their own players.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saint6
Club Player

I find it hard to understand why so called saints fan love to raph bash. Yes he turns the ball over but at least he gets it in the first place.
Raph was having the best season of his career in 2010 when he injured his hamstring against fremantle in round 12. Seemed to be slow coming back from injury this year but was not the worst player in our team this year by far. Why would we delist him??

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saint6 wrote:I find it hard to understand why so called saints fan love to raph bash. Yes he turns the ball over but at least he gets it in the first place.
Raph was having the best season of his career in 2010 when he injured his hamstring against fremantle in round 12. Seemed to be slow coming back from injury this year but was not the worst player in our team this year by far. Why would we delist him??
Not to mention Raph was a part of a defensive line up (2009) which conceded the fewest amount of points in an AFL/VFL home and away season ever. He must have been doing something right to retain his spot in that side, right?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Imo, Raph has been durable, deserved his spot most games and shown that he's good at defending and tackling and chasing, but not so good when he's got the footy...just like half a dozen of our players being discussed here as trade bait...could also be an indication of the deficiencies of the Ross Lyon coaching philosophy and game plan. I'm happy for him to stay and will back the decisions the club makes. If Pelchen wants Raph to stay, then he's safe. In Pelchen we trust :wink:

markp
Saintsational Legend

Yup, no more a turnover merchant than Gram or Gilbert, and I'm guessing would be on considerably less coin.

Can play, needs supporters to support... but it aint gonna happen.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

A bit of sanity has come onto this thread over the past hour or so. Very refreshing.

Saints 2012
Club Player

I think Raph would turn it over more than Gilbert & Gram combined, if we think he is a mid teir player for our club we're more trouble than we think.

When garm & Gilbert are at their best their very close to A grade players, Raph at his best would be C grade, Gram & Gilbert have shown more consitancy & skill over the past 5 years

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Regardless of what people think about Raph, and those opinions vary more than those of just about any other player in the comp, one thing has changed.

We have a totally new group of people running the football side of things, and they're soon to be joined by a new coach. Those people will decide whether Raph has more value to us as a player or as a trade.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Saints 2012 wrote:I think Raph would turn it over more than Gilbert & Gram combined, if we think he is a mid teir player for our club we're more trouble than we think.

When garm & Gilbert are at their best their very close to A grade players, Raph at his best would be C grade, Gram & Gilbert have shown more consitancy & skill over the past 5 years
More bollocks in that post than a bain marie full of dim-sims.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Saints 2012 wrote:I think Raph would turn it over more than Gilbert & Gram combined, if we think he is a mid teir player for our club we're more trouble than we think.

More bollocks in that post than a bain marie full of dim-sims.

"I like it, I like it a lot"