We are gawn

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
sainter66 wrote:Well then I'll take your spot.
Just Joined today after reading saintsational for many years. Time to stand up and be counted.

Welcome..............well done :P
agreed.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B4e wrote: The location is a big factor and the players HATE IT!

Ok mate thanks for the insight into the minds of our players...while you're at it, can u tell us how they felt when your messiah recruited Pattison (was he as good as RIX??? lmfao) and can you tell me how excited the leadership group was when your messiah came up with the recruiting coup of the decade; Polo??

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Scollop wrote:B4e wrote: The location is a big factor and the players HATE IT!

Ok mate thanks for the insight into the minds of our players...while you're at it, can u tell us how they felt when your messiah recruited Pattison (was he as good as RIX??? lmfao) and can you tell me how excited the leadership group was when your messiah came up with the recruiting coup of the decade; Polo??
The Mess - iah.
Mr quick fix it !
The worst coach going round.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

The Mess - iah. .. with the emphasis on mess.
As in the lingering mess he's now left behind.
Mr quick fix it !
The worst coach going round.
Last edited by samoht on Thu 22 Sep 2011 3:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

I'm sorry but I must respond to all those posters who call me a "bandwagon jumper" and a "fair weather" fan.

FACT: I have been a proud member of the St.Kilda football club for 22 consecutive years, starting when I was 8 years old. So, for two thirds of my life, I've been a St.Kilda member who has gone to all the games and has flown our flag passionately. Although I don't claim to be St.Kilda's absolute number one fan, I can say with confidence that it is unlikely a lot of the posters who said, "good, go, we don't want you," have spent as much time and money supporting the club as me.

Look, I probably WILL renew my membership again next year, just as I have done all my bloody life, because I love the St.Kilda FC, but I just think that this board NEEDS to be punished for the big, big mistake they made by not re-signing Lyon earlier. They need to be held accountable for their share of the blame.

I guess not renewing my membership is the wrong way to express my discontent though...

There is, I suppose, a faint flicker that all may not yet be lost in the short term....

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
samoht
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:I'm sorry but I must respond to all those posters who call me a "bandwagon jumper" and a "fair weather" fan.

FACT: I have been a proud member of the St.Kilda football club for 22 consecutive years, starting when I was 8 years old. So, for two thirds of my life, I've been a St.Kilda member who has gone to all the games and has flown our flag passionately. Although I don't claim to be St.Kilda's absolute number one fan, I can say with confidence that it is unlikely a lot of the posters who said, "good, go, we don't want you," have spent as much time and money supporting the club as me.

Look, I probably WILL renew my membership again next year, just as I have done all my bloody life, because I love the St.Kilda FC, but I just think that this board NEEDS to be punished for the big, big mistake they made by not re-signing Lyon earlier. They need to be held accountable for their share of the blame.

I guess not renewing my membership is the wrong way to express my discontent though...

There is, I suppose, a faint flicker that all may not yet be lost in the short term....
The board may have seen the light .. we may recruit for youth at last !
No more recycled players.

philtee
Club Player

Have you all read Russell Holmesby's timetable of events last Thursday,
as posted elsewhere, particularly the events between 2:30pm and 5pm ?
http://www.insidefootballonline.com/holmesby.html
U-turns don't come any bigger.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

In 2008 in a conversation I had with VICE PRESIDENT Ross Levine

I told him Seaford is a huge mistake etc....etc....

I also said to him " the players hate Seaford "

THE VICE PRESIDENT replied

"Yes I know the players are not happy about it"

Kate
Club Player

My loyalty is non negotiable. Go Saints!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

Well they couldn't have possibly hated Seaford in 2008 because it hadn't even been built.

Assuming what you say is factual, at best they wouldn't have been happy about the idea of moving to Seaford.

It may sound like a minor point but it's important. Do you know how they feel now (September 2011) or not?

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:I'm sorry but I must respond to all those posters who call me a "bandwagon jumper" and a "fair weather" fan.

Good post mate!

I totally understand how you might feel about the whole situation!

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: The board may have seen the light .. we may recruit for youth at last !
No more recycled players.
2010 draft

Cripps, Crocker, Ledger Siposs

Elevated Simpkin

KEEP IT REAL!

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

What's different this week from last.
A coach and a couple of assistants that were burnt out left.
They will be replaced by hungrier more motivated coaches.
Roll on 2012!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

thanks mate...so....that was 2008....what is your point? Didn't the players go on after this (if as you say it was 2008) to try their hearts out and get us into GF's in consecutive years

I mean sh!t you'd understand if they complained coz they had to take public transport, but where's the prob if you have a nice BMW 4WD or a Merc to get you down there...I think the players are not sooks like you and your messiah. They don't use bs excuses like perhaps; 'Ross is not recruiting well' or; 'Ross is not bringing in quality players to join the list' or ;'the board is gonna move us to Seaford..etc'.

The players are what it's all about fella. The board and the location of training and all this bs you go on about are secondary issues. Get the list right, get a professional as head coach and some good people around him and we're back in business

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

thanks mate...so....that was 2008....what is your point? Didn't the players go on after this (if as you say it was 2008) to try their hearts out and get us into GF's in consecutive years

I mean sh!t you'd understand if they compalined coz they had to take public transport, but where's the prob if you have a nice BMW 4WD or a Merc to get you down there...I think the players are not sooks like you and your messiah. They don't use bs excuses like perhaps; 'Ross is not recruiting well' or; 'Ross is not bringing in quality players to join the list' or ;'the board is gonna move us to Seaford..etc'.

The players are what it's all about fella. The board and the location of training and all this bs you go on about are secondary issues. Get the list right, get a professional as head coach and some good people around him and we're back in business
Maybe Barks can tell us what the players thought about the move to Moorabbin....

.....when he asked them in 1963 of course :wink:

spert
Saintsational Legend

A mate of my late dad once told me they thought the Saints were gone for years when we lost the '65 grand final, so mate , it's notin'new. :wink:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

"...they think the state of the art training facilities absolutely blow and yearn for medicine ball sit-ups. They're a curiously old-fashioned bunch, much like you, you whimsical old malcontent...goodbye!".

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:I too have that lingering fear that the next few years we will sink back into the murky depths of the bottom of the ladder, although perhaps not straight away...
Of course we will!!

Every team will!! Every team does!

That's the very concept of the AFL. That's exactly what is supposed to happen!

That's precisely why the AFL introduced a salary cap and a draft system. And it's the very reason why we actually found ourselves up the top for close to 10 years!

Seriously. What do you people expect? That we'll play finals forever and each time be a genuine threat??

It just doesn't work that way. If Lyon had have 'played the kids' we may not have even made the GFs. But, we might not be starting to slide down the ladder already.

Very, very few clubs enjoy 10 years or more at the top. Very few spend 5 years at the top. Some still haven't even been there since the AFL was introduced!

This is what s***s me. What is happening is completely and utterly normal. People may not like it, but it's what happens.

Frankly, I think the club has performed brilliantly to drag out 8 or so years in the finals, with 3-4 of them being as a genuine contender.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Then let the board and club know your thoughts, email them, write a letter, phone them, ask a question at the AGM.... hell form a group that could challenge the board.

Just a tip, your membership is not of the board, they are just in charge at present. It's of a club, a wonderful club.

So please get your head around te fact that cancelling your membership will not send a message to the board. The club will suffer short and long term.

Me thinks the answer to why you want to cancel your membership lies in your final sentence.

Guess what, we might fall down the ladder for a little while, thats what the draft was created to do. We might not, see geelong.

But aint no reason to jump off.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:....but I just think that this board NEEDS to be punished for the big, big mistake they made by not re-signing Lyon earlier. They need to be held accountable for their share of the blame.
Do you seriously think we were going to remain at the top of the ladder forever if Lyon stayed?

We'd slipped to 7th already. The AFL cycle ensures that everyone slips. Losing the coach when the club/team is on the decline is really the only time that it's not that big a drama.

With or without him, after 8 years in the finals and 2 GFs, our decline had begun.
And with or without him, it was going to continue.

Seriously, for people that follow the footy so much, how can this be any simpler to understand.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I admittedly hover below the reality line at times but I don't even think our 'situation' is problematic.

However; I think it is bad that your coach leaves when the team starts to underperform.

I think it is bad that your coach does not exhaust negotiations before taking another offer.

I think it is bad your coach tendered his resignation due to player mis-behaviour.

My feeling is Lyon valued professionalism more than all the other stuff. But didn't value loyalty, obviously.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Johnny Member wrote:
OneEyedSainter77 wrote:I too have that lingering fear that the next few years we will sink back into the murky depths of the bottom of the ladder, although perhaps not straight away...
Of course we will!!

That's precisely why the AFL introduced a salary cap and a draft system. And it's the very reason why we actually found ourselves up the top for close to 10 years!

Seriously. What do you people expect? That we'll play finals forever and each time be a genuine threat??

It just doesn't work that way. If Lyon had have 'played the kids' we may not have even made the GFs. But, we might not be starting to slide down the ladder already.

Very, very few clubs enjoy 10 years or more at the top. Very few spend 5 years at the top. Some still haven't even been there since the AFL was introduced!

This is what s***s me. What is happening is completely and utterly normal. People may not like it, but it's what happens.

Frankly, I think the club has performed brilliantly to drag out 8 or so years in the finals, with 3-4 of them being as a genuine contender.
Not neccessarily.,

You're saying we will slide down the ladder. Correct, probably. Very probably.

But I'm saying I 'm afraid we MAY slide to the BOTTOM of the ladder. As in 16th-18th bottom, not necessarily just 8th-12th or something.

Geelong haven't finished in the bottom four for about twelve years or so I believe - I would kill for that kind of longevitiy.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Seriously, for people that follow the footy so much, how can this be any simpler to understand.
I think people were keen on stability as much as success. However, there was nothing stable about RL himself during this season, so we really haven't lost much.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
Of course we will!!

Not neccessarily.,

But I'm saying I 'm afraid we MAY slide to the BOTTOM of the ladder. As in 16th-18th bottom, not necessarily just 8th-12th or something.

Geelong haven't finished in the bottom four for about twelve years or so I believe - I would kill for that kind of longevitiy.
So what we finish last. There must be a club who is last every year. It will be us probably sooner than later but if every supporter dropped off because we may finish last then you can guarantee we wont be last for long because we wont be playing in the AFL. Every club is guaranteed 5 years because of the TV agreement but who is to say what will happen after that. We need committed supporters, which is pretty obvious if you have followed the Saints for a while, so we are still at least in the competition and with a chance of success in 5 years time.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote: Not neccessarily.,

I don't agree, but that's fine. Each to their own.

I don't care how far we slip, as long as in the process we're building our next leadership group and learning a style of play along the way with a new coach that can be tweaked into a very good game plan when the team is ready.

18th, 9th, I couldn't care less. I feel it is completely irrelevant. In reality, if we're not going to win the flag, then I'd far prefer to finish as low as possible like Collingwood, Geelong and West Coast did to grab someone decent from the draft.

And as for Geelong's longevity, I only want longevity if it means we're a genuine contender. Geelong are this year obviously which pretty much gives them one more year than us at the top.

Obviously the big difference is premierships. But I believe in what Chris Judd says: The top 4 are always very close. You aim to be in the top 4 teams in the comp, then pretty much cross your fingers that things go your way in the finals.

I'm just staggered that people choose to see our decline as some sort of disastrous stuff up that should have been avoided. It happens! That's the game!!

Having said that, during a rebuilding phase, every aspect of the club should be addressed. And if there's people out there that can anything better than those currently at the club, then of course they should be brought in.

But making the CEO and the Board 'pay' for our current situation is just ludicrous!