The Politically Correct Coaching Selection Panel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Surely a females on board to make them sandwiches....?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Stop making sense TOT. It could be catching! One of the posts of the year.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:Sheldon)
Ex-coach (Walls)
The ex-coach was not a "successful coach".
Robert Walls Premiership Coach 1987

degruch
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Ex-coach (Walls)
Robert Walls Boxing Coach 1991

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo should post more often.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
Ex-coach (Walls)
Maybe now Channel 10's lost the footy it will bring back "It's A Knockout".

Now who could they get to host it? :?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
degruch wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
Ex-coach (Walls)
Maybe now Channel 10's lost the footy it will bring back "It's A Knockout".

Now who could they get to host it? :?
Do they need to assemble a panel of television experts, or boxing experts?

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Ex-coach (Walls)
Is that the best ya got, Barks? Walls took over a club that had played off in the '86 GF to a flag. Yep, a successful year. Successful coach, or a bloke in the right place at the right time?

The 80's was an era where money, just money, decided success. No draft and no salary cap - all the moneyed clubs had to do was get the best from interstate, pinch the best from other clubs who were going broke, and away they went. Leaving the aberrant year of 1980 aside, this is how the rest of the 80's went;
1981 - Carl def Coll
1982 - Carl def Rich
1983 - Haw def Ess
1984 - Ess def Haw
1985 - Ess def Haw
1986 - Haw def Carl
1987 - Carl def Haw
1988 - Haw def Melb
1989 - Haw def Geel

So, 3 clubs won flags and they were the 3 moneyed clubs (Collingwood were broke). Alan Joyce was a premiership coach.

Mid way through '89, one and a half years after Walls' triumph, after 2 wins from 10 games, he was sacked as coach of Carlton.

He coached 3 clubs over 10 seasons and finished with a winning % of 41. He was sacked from all 3 jobs.

I reckon he was in the right place at the right time, for 1 year in a 10 season career. He wanted to be a career coach but the slide after his first year and being sacked by 3 clubs suggest to me he wasn't successful. Once the era of drafts and salary caps started, and success was decided by more than just money, he crashed and burned and wasn't wanted by clubs that were successful. Nor did clubs that had a future (as determined by whether they did subsequently progress) want him as a coach.

Yep, he had success - for one year at a very powerful club in a very inequitable competition.

But, a successful career coach? Did he build sustainable success? Not for mine.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Robert Walls may have achieved a lot on the field and may know a lot about the game but I’d hate to be stuck next to him on a long flight to the States.

Then again, I’d probably arrive refreshed and ready to go after sleeping for 12 hours straight :P

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

A P.S. to the Walls' "success".

Ross Lyon talked to Yabby about coaching and success. A lot did.

They all went in to the discussion with Yabby with high-fautin questions, questions of philosophies and plans, execution and sustainability. They wanted the secret.

Yabby would listen intently, nod, use "hmmm?" a lot and then he'd answer the overall question "what makes a coach successful, Yabby".

Yabby would gather himself, get closer to the interviewee, build the expectation and then say,

"Money and players, son, that's it, money and players".

Interview over.

Disclosure: Licence used.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
Ex-coach (Walls)
Is that the best ya got, Barks? Walls took over a club that had played off in the '86 GF to a flag. Yep, a successful year. Successful coach, or a bloke in the right place at the right time?

Yep, he had success - for one year at a very powerful club in a very inequitable competition.

But, a successful career coach? Did he build sustainable success? Not for mine.

Fitzroy
After he retired as a player, Walls immediately took over as coach of Fitzroy. With a major clean-out of older players who were clearly "past it" in the club's disappointing 1980 season, Walls lifted the Lions to their best era since winning a premiership in 1944.

They improved from last in 1980 to fifth at the end of the home-and-away season in 1981, securing their finals berth with an upset win over Collingwood and then beating Essendon in the Elimination Final before failing by the narrowest of margins in the First Semi against the Magpies.

1982 was relatively disappointing due to a poor start, but with players like Gary Pert and Paul Roos from the club's recruiting zones and South Australian recruit Matt Rendell growing into stars, the Lions were back as a force at the end of the season.

1983 saw the Lions emerge after five rounds as favourites for the premiership and maintain that favouritism with a sensational win in a top-of-the-table clash with North by 150 points with Rendell kicking eight goals besides destroying Gary Dempsey in the ruck. However, inevitable overconfidence saw the Lions lose form and finish fourth after losing two hard-fought finals.

Ironically enough Fitzroy were knocked out in 1983 by eventual premier Hawthorn by 4 points in controversially circumstances when Nettlefold made a huge mistake, deliberately rushing the ball out of bounds ended up costing them the game!

Actually I was there that day and only metres from the incident!

In truth Fitzroy were absolutely ripped off with another charity free kick getting Hawthorn home.

Outstanding effort by Walls to take over a wooden spoon club to a premiership threat within three seasons!

8-)

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Sh!t, I relied on an AFL stats website which didn't even have his Fitzroy record. I should have gone to Wiki. One to you, Barks.
His winning % with Fitzroy was 52 and lifts his overall record to 46%.

Blimey, why didn't we get him to coach us!

He still got sacked 3 times, hasn't coached since '97 and remains a pillock.

In my earlier post I did say the '06 coaching sub-committee, which Walls was on, got a good result.

And, I still prefer the make up of the new panel for 2011 to putting together a similar panel to the one of 5 years ago.

That's the point. Walls isn't. Nor is he relevant. He's done and of no interest to me. He thinks he's still a mover and shaker. I reckon he's a tosser. Very ordinary hook on which to hang anybody's hat.

A final number on Walls - he was never the same after he went to collect his gear from the rooms back at Princes Park after the 70 GF. Not long after that his first marriage ended. The '70 GF was the game in which Ted Hopkins made his name, for a very short time. When I say Walls wasn't the same, I've got no idea if he was worse before or after the '70 GF. Just not the same.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

The point is Walls played in three premierships and coached one!

He helped us last time to make a very good selection!

To clarify...NO, I would not ask him again...that's NOT my point!

We have appointed Brad Johnson to advise on football matters!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:We have appointed Brad Johnson to advise on football matters!
I don't like him either, but he should know a bit about footy, as would the Saints members on the panel...stop trying to make out that no-one on the list is qualified to assess the applicants.