Michael Nettlefold on Footy Classified

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why couldnt he just adress the questions put to him with a bit of certainty....

Surely he knew what was coming and had time to think about some better thought out answers.....he looked like an imbecile....unsure and trotting out utter crap....

Have some conviction

AGREE, VERY UNCONVINCING

Vazelos
Club Player

Agree with the posts, if R Lyon is not reappointed this board has failed our club and I for one will be bitterly disappointed. I would look back at this last 9 years of high level competiveness on and off the field as another false dawn.

This is a 'sliding door' moment for the club, thay better get it right!!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:What a disgusting display from pure media scum.

Fat Gary Lyon sat back while his "mates" did the job on Nettlefold..led by Thomas with a clear personal agenda.

Lets look at the statements (cause they werent questions)

1.Youve got no kids coming through...could you blame Ross for leaving (thery actually asked Nettlefold this)
2. Youve lost members (we have a record membership)
3. You dont have commercial sponorship for level 2 of Etihad (we do)
4. The coach on the ground after game was apparently saying goodbye
.........and then sm@rt @ss Lyon chips in (who wont say anything bout Melbourne coaching process and chucks a tantrum when questioned)

5. Does Lyon have a "get out" clause in his contract?

Not 1 question remotely suggesting or even recognising the clubs had a shocker year and been admirable in turning that around.......the lack of respect for Nettlefold was f#cking amazing.

All the while f@t @rse Lyon sat back smirking like "I know something you dont know..."....Seriously, if Ross Lyon left to that shyte of a club Id be stumped supremely dissapointed in the man.

NOWS the time to stand up Ross. NOWS the time for real nerve.

And that fat slug Thomas should be black banned from our club completely. Pure scum using the media for personal vendetta.

Agree with all of that.

And for those saying MN didn't answer confidently... He did. Desperation doesn't win any prizes..

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: He answered questions as well as he could but they didnt want that - how many times did they say..."oh yeah but a contract means nothing"
Ross Lyon was signed up by the previous administration!

I'm not entirely sure as to who is responsible but would not be in the least bit surprised if the idiots currently running the club offered a new deal with get out clauses on both sides when the contract was previously extended which now opens the door for Melbourne to offer him a massive deal.

Hey, no need to worry though because Nettlefold says it would not be in the spirit of the contract if he left.
:roll:

OH DEAR

Who voted for/got conned by these clowns?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Nettlefold came across as a weak, stammering fool when he had the chance to really make a statement from the club. His answers were like our game style this year, spluttering backwards and sideways with no fluency or
conviction.

No doubt the panel had a clear agenda to make it look like Ross is about to leave, but Nettlefold shouldn't have gone on the show if he couldn't stand the pressure. Even the way he mumbled and stumbled through trying to defend the young players on the list was embarrassing; how does the CEO not know Jack Steven's last name? Surely thr club can offer up a better media performer than him.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Well MSG they could've trotted out ghost Westaway, who is about as elusive as Elvis instead lol!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote: "Luke Ball," anyone? No one expected him to go. He was undervalued and was expected to stay in line and take what the saints offered him. But he didn't.
Maybe the Board isn't happy with Lyon about that!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I've got to say, I'm surprised by what I've read with the whole 'Lyon' thing.

He's contracted next year isn't he?

So according to people on here, we extend his contract just because Melbourne want him?
So if Kevin Sheedy stands down after the first year at GWS and they come looking for Lyon to use the 'get out clause' in his new contract - we extend it again??

f***** hell. He has a contract. I for one, am kind of pleased with the club on this one. They've etended his contract when things weren't actually looking that great a year or so ago.
I assume the idea of that, was to prevent situations like the one we're now seeing.
But, even though he's contracted the club is meant to freak out and move heaven and earth to keep him every time a club is looking for a new coach?

Since this board took over, and since Lyon's been coach, we've been terrible in the media. Terrible in terms of not giving 'them' anything.
Why are people still surprised when one of our guys appears on one of these shows and performs like that? It happens everytime.

We never get answers. Ever.

On Lyon and the club though, I genuinely think the biggest issue facing the club is the loss of money, and the inability to capitalise on our on-field success.
In this comp, you usually only get a 1 or 2 years (if any) right at the top before you slide. You need to make hay when the sun shines, and we clearly didn't.

For the board, I'd say that's a huge problem. Potentially dire. If our fans can't fork out when we're in the Grand Final, what the hell are they going to do when we're in the bottom 4?

We get poor crowds, membership isn't great and people don't watch us on TV.
Whether Ross Lyon is the greatest footy coach in the world, I reckon the board would be laying part of the blame for our 'unpopularity' on him and our style of play.

For a president to publicly say after the season finished last year, that we'd be more 'attractive next year' (or words to that effect) was quite amazing.
It shows that the board were concerned about the product they're trying to sell.

For us to come out again and play ugly footy without kicking goals - and finished 7th, would be of a great concern to the board.

Most genuine footy fans wouldn't care, naturally. And I'm one of them. But the product we're selling to the general market, is a pretty ordinary one.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Some of you are so precious. Disgraceful treatment of a CEO. God what next. He is big enough to look after himself and they do that with others they interview but we just dont listen and also dont imagine what they are saying. You can get stuck injto me all you like but while you do look in the mirror and say to yourself that is what the show does to guests that have some issue at the moment, which we do regarding the coach and also say to yourself our CEO is big enough to look after himself. And while you are at it stop being so precious. Cant wait for all the lovely replies.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

He'd probably been out on the piss all day anyway. That's probably why he didn't seem to be able to put two words together!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Is that show still on?

I completely forget that show exists, watched a replay of the US Open instead.

Suggest you dont watch crap and you wont get all het up. 8-)

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Some of you are so precious. Disgraceful treatment of a CEO. God what next. He is big enough to look after himself and they do that with others they interview but we just dont listen and also dont imagine what they are saying. You can get stuck injto me all you like but while you do look in the mirror and say to yourself that is what the show does to guests that have some issue at the moment, which we do regarding the coach and also say to yourself our CEO is big enough to look after himself. And while you are at it stop being so precious. Cant wait for all the lovely replies.
That's why not many guests go on the show.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
kaos theory
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:
hungry for a premiership wrote: Nettlefold admitted by avoiding the question that there is a get-out clause in the contract, but said Lyon would stay because "it is not in the spirit of the contract to walk out on it."

Err, earth to Michael, "the spirit of the contract" counts for SFA.

In my eyes they are treating what we have, a coach we picked and have built up and who has become one of the top 2 or 3 coaches in the comp, with reckless abandon and aloofness and even contempt.

There is a massive offer coming in for Ross from Melbourne this week and we haven't even begun contract re-negotiations.

If this administration allows Ross to go by not giving him what he deserves I'll be so filthy
"spirit of the contract"

oh dear

FAIR DINKUM

This club is run by a pack of clowns!

The current board is responsible for sending the club to Seaford without one word about it while they were seeking the members vote and then announce this rubbish almost immediately once they are elected.

The previous administration delivered Ross Lyon and this board have been riding on the coat tails of this appointment ever since.

We have a brilliant coach and should move heaven and earth to sign him up for the LONG ( not medium ) TERM!

If this current board....for example only offer a two year extension while Melbourne offer him a five year deal and he ups and leaves as a result then these clowns should be booted immediately.

The current board inherited Ross Lyon from the previous administration who by the way were intent on relocating the club as close to St kilda as possible before being ousted by these idiots and if they now mess this up and Lyon leaves then they should all resign en masse on the very same day for their buffoonery and serial incompetence.
B4E, I appreciate you are not the sharpest tool in the shed, but get a grip on some measure of reality.

There was NO other viable option (except Cranbourne) for a training base. You obviously have no concept of money, but even someone who has played monopoly knows that without money you can't by a house on Bond street.

Get over it.

Secondly, the previous admin didn't spend a cent on our footy department and we consistently had about 10 soft tissue injuries per week. The president was continually fighting in public with GT. It was only after the admin change & investment in the footy dept that we got stability and experienced our most successful period since 66.

Thirdly, why should we give RL whatever he wants? THe club is not an endless money supply. We should be looking to get what's best for the club, that is RL on a 3 yr deal sounds good. If he performs, he will get another contract. We are not desperate idiots like the demons, we do not need to match their stupid & rash offers.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote: Thirdly, why should we give RL whatever he wants? THe club is not an endless money supply. We should be looking to get what's best for the club, that is RL on a 3 yr deal sounds good. If he performs, he will get another contract. We are not desperate idiots like the demons, we do not need to match their stupid & rash offers.
In any business, it's pretty reckless to give anyone 'whatever they want'.

A coach isn't paid nor expected to understand budgets or the club's finances. His job is to win games of footy and flags.

To do so, he's going to want certain things. Whether or not the benefit outweighs the cost, is something for his boss/the CEO/the Board to decide.

Hopefully, we have a situation where both parties are reaching a good deal in terms of what the footy dept. want and what the club can sensibly afford to give them.

You can't just give people whatever they want.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:He's contracted next year isn't he?
employment contracts are significantly more binding on the organisation than on the individual. especially in a case like this where it's a tough job which requires absolute 100% commitment.

what if lyon wanted to leave? his manager would go to nettlefold and say "sorry mate, his heart's not in it, obviously he can coach on but he'll only be working the bare minimum contracted hours and he'll be taking all his accrued leave."

the club couldn't have an uncommitted coach - that would be suicide - so we'd have to let him go and do what we could to find someone to take his place. if he wants to leave, he will. regardless of contract status.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

So people would play hard ball, and let him walk?

Then what?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't a lot on offer coach wise?

Sounds incredibly foolish to me.

Really hope he stays.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I think some people wanted MN to come out and say... Oh Ross we really love you and need you.. Please please don't leave us.

Or they wanted him to go into detail about contract negotiations. Something Lyon probably wouldn't appreciate.

He got asked the same questions again and again and answered strongly. Laughing people whinging about his 'spirit of the contract' line.

As MN said on radio last week. We want Ross to stay but also that the St Kilda FC is an attractive opportunity for him too. Works both ways.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Remember this comment after my training report

P.S. Ross came over and had a chat to me ( probably as I was the only one on the far side of the ground ) General conversation but said he loves the club and wants to stay for the long term- not just the contract year- and wants to build the club up to a real power in the AFL. He is/will be fantastic for our club

One thing was certain- He really wanted to stay at the club. One thing happened at the end of the conversation that at the time we both laughed at but now I see the significance. His throwaway line was- " But the club has to want me too " As I said at the time I just laughed as there was nothing further from my mind than the club not wanting him. Thats why I didnt report on it, it was just a ridiculous comment! But now ?

I am sure Ross wants to stay at the club- He just needs more support from the board- ie an extension for 3 more years( total of 4 ).

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

That's just it. I don't think the club DO want him. "If he goes, he goes" is what I think they think.

Saints43
Club Player

RL is contracted for 2012 but apparently he has a get-out clause is his contract. A clause he must have requested.

Is that the fault of journalists or ex-coaches? Wouldn't you ask why he has had this written into his contract?

St Kilda has stood behind RL when times were tough, backed him to the hilt, resourced him as well as is possible at our club.

The club has been loyal to a fault. Now it's up to him.

Buckets
SS Life Member

barks4eva wrote:
Teflon wrote: He answered questions as well as he could but they didnt want that - how many times did they say..."oh yeah but a contract means nothing"
Ross Lyon was signed up by the previous administration!

I'm not entirely sure as to who is responsible but would not be in the least bit surprised if the idiots currently running the club offered a new deal with get out clauses on both sides when the contract was previously extended which now opens the door for Melbourne to offer him a massive deal.

Hey, no need to worry though because Nettlefold says it would not be in the spirit of the contract if he left.
:roll:

OH DEAR

Who voted for/got conned by these clowns?
Do you ever have anything good to say about the club?

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
matrix
Saintsational Legend

you reckon he couldve said 2012 another 38 times???
lol
oh and michael, its jack steven, not stevens

ffs

you reckon he wants 3 years extension, so take him to end of 2015 and the club is not sure and think thats too long?
i do
he wants stability, long term safety and needs that time to make us a real powerhouse and get us up there and i reckon the club think thats too long an extension and are unsure

f*** i hope he signs and the board backs him and gives him the 3 years extension

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Weak and unconvincing. I'm worried.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:He's contracted next year isn't he?
employment contracts are significantly more binding on the organisation than on the individual. especially in a case like this where it's a tough job which requires absolute 100% commitment.

what if lyon wanted to leave? his manager would go to nettlefold and say "sorry mate, his heart's not in it, obviously he can coach on but he'll only be working the bare minimum contracted hours and he'll be taking all his accrued leave."

the club couldn't have an uncommitted coach - that would be suicide - so we'd have to let him go and do what we could to find someone to take his place. if he wants to leave, he will. regardless of contract status.
Yeah, I agree.

So why is everyone up in arms about us not throwing extensions and contracts at him?

It doesn't matter that he currently is under contract, so why bother giving him another one!