Fev on footy show

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: Fev on footy show

Spinner wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:Seriously the bloke deserves a chance.

We stuffed up with Lovett - maybe unlucky...but...we probably should have had a ping at cousins...these things can work out!!!

Fev is definitely worth a punt. Especially for the saints.

Just my two drunken cents

I still maintain Lovett was a risk worth taking. And Cousins not.

In hindsight Cousins played some average games... Was injured. Played some more. Then was injured again.

Lovett didnt play any.

Im not going to be one of the 'experts' and work in hindsight. I still maintain my analysis. Even though it fell the opposite way.

I think people get confused... When a risk goes bad... doesnt mean it was the wrong decision to make. Thats what makes a risk a risk.

Get Fev, 150,000 for one year. High draft pick.
Yep.

Sometimes a one in ten chance comes good, and sometimes a seven in ten chance goes bad... that's life, it's risk and assessment of that risk... I trust they made the right decision at the time with the information they had (I was in favour of picking up both players at the time).

The irony is that lovett wouldn't have been in that room had St Kilda not recruited him, so who knows where he'd be now, and maybe us knocking cousins back was the final moment of clarity that scared him enough to clean up for a year or two... but how's he going now?

Fev is a risk, but you way up the potential gain against potential cost, and try to judge where he's at and what he's likely to offer and deliver, then you make your call..

From my perspective (a million miles away), he would be cheap, on a short leash behaviour and contract wise, and could deliver much... But I trust the club will look at him, and if he's not worth pursuing, they wont.

The hindsight floggery (from a million miles away) on this forum gets to the pathological stage sometimes... you really gotta wonder about how tightly some cats are wound.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

From memory, didn't we pretty much jump off Cuz after he shaved his head? Plus, didn't he do his hammy in one of his last matches for West Coast? Then his first for Richmond. Then didn't he end up in hospital for something? He could have been the difference for us, he might not have been - he was a huge risk.

Personally, I don't think Roo has been able to monster games since he tore his hamstring off the bone. He can't take on two, three blokes at a time. He needs someone of class to help him out. As much as I like Siposs and think he will be something special when he beefs his body up, and love the fairytale that is Tommy Walsh, Fev is a class above on the footy field.

The week after Walsh kicks a bag of 6, supporters are up in arms that he can't get a game. Fev was doing it on a regular basis and everyone says its only the VFL he is a hack.

Lovett has a domestic violence background, sure, as do a lot of other players. Some have had their day in court, a few over in Adelaide spring to mind, some have been to jail, but St Kilda, and a fair few other teams had thought it enough to take a risk on him... we failed miserably with that one, we stuffed up and I think we won't risk any more backlash.

Will Fev succeed, absolutely yes. Will we take him, very much doubt it.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Spinner wrote:Why does everyone think we stuffed up with Cousins?

Didnt anyone see his documentary....?

The bloke was an ice addict... and with all due respect probably still is,
agreed. completely destroyed Tigers.....I even heard their coach on TV bemoaning how much positive damage he'd done to the Tigers younger players...

phew....dodged a bullet there..

thank god for Lovett. :roll:

Such a sarcastic response for such a simplistic viewpoint.

Would you be any good at this game without hindsight. Everyone is a winner there.

Cousins' output extremely overrated. But im sure you watched him play numerous times. And how exactly have you measured the impact he had on their young players. Im curious to know how one measures something like that. Especially from a computer.

Fact: He was an ice addict. Banned 12 months from the game. Removed from captaincy and removed from his club
First up I had to delete the rest of your post as utter cr@p.
Second, IF we are going to use terms like "hindsight" it pays to actually:

(a) understand what is meant by that
(b) use them in context.

I openly supported "pre-decision" that St Kilda take Ben Cousins because he could add to our midfield.....hindsight?....lol. I do agree however, your views are simplistic.

Lets explore your logic.....according to you a PROVEN Brownlow Medallist Champion who uses the ball well, spreads from congestion and kicks goals had no place in our midfield offering better depth than Mqualter???....please tell me you wont ever be coaching will you?....

Oh an while we are all about "FACTS" on measuring Cousins output - I don't assume, I go from experts in front of computers and behind...I mean Im sure you're going to tell Damian Hardwick that he's got it all wrong when he PUBLICLY states just how good Cousins was for the Tigers...especially in teaching their younger mids...heck...Im sure Jack Stevens learnt more off Mqualter in your world....

Aparently "Im a computer expert"... but you declare Ben Cousins output as overrated??? - just exactly how did you measure his performances to reach that conclusion Einstein? in direct contrast to his coach?...I smell a hypocrit...and not a bright one...
Oh, but that's right....Bens a crack head....I mean we are all about the moral high ground at St Kilda - just ask Lovett....the football ability comes way down the list as long as we model fine young citizens... :roll:

Lets have 1 last FACT genius: Who caused more public humiliation/embarrassment for their club - Cousins for Tigers or Lovett for St Kilda????

LAST FACT I promise: Who paid more with draft picks for their "star"????

Genius. :wink:
Wont go into it too much because most of the above is fairy stuff. But a couple of pointers to assist you in your future thought processes.

1. I came to my opinion on his performances by going to Richmond games and watching him. How did you measure his impact on teammates?

2. Yes, Hardwick did give his respect to Cousins, who was already there... Just before to probably told him to retire at the end of the year. What else would you like him to say?

3. Comparing him to McQualter? How much 'spreading' would he be doing as a defensive forward? May as well compare him to Dawson or Fisher or any other defender.

4. In refernece to who caused more damage. As I told you, everyone is an expert after the event. So well done.

Most of above is based on fairly dust, unmeasurable impacts and being an expert after the event. Very informative.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Spinner wrote:Why does everyone think we stuffed up with Cousins?

Didnt anyone see his documentary....?

The bloke was an ice addict... and with all due respect probably still is,
agreed. completely destroyed Tigers.....I even heard their coach on TV bemoaning how much positive damage he'd done to the Tigers younger players...

phew....dodged a bullet there..

thank god for Lovett. :roll:

Such a sarcastic response for such a simplistic viewpoint.

Would you be any good at this game without hindsight. Everyone is a winner there.

Cousins' output extremely overrated. But im sure you watched him play numerous times. And how exactly have you measured the impact he had on their young players. Im curious to know how one measures something like that. Especially from a computer.

Fact: He was an ice addict. Banned 12 months from the game. Removed from captaincy and removed from his club
First up I had to delete the rest of your post as utter cr@p.
Second, IF we are going to use terms like "hindsight" it pays to actually:

(a) understand what is meant by that
(b) use them in context.

I openly supported "pre-decision" that St Kilda take Ben Cousins because he could add to our midfield.....hindsight?....lol. I do agree however, your views are simplistic.

Lets explore your logic.....according to you a PROVEN Brownlow Medallist Champion who uses the ball well, spreads from congestion and kicks goals had no place in our midfield offering better depth than Mqualter???....please tell me you wont ever be coaching will you?....

Oh an while we are all about "FACTS" on measuring Cousins output - I don't assume, I go from experts in front of computers and behind...I mean Im sure you're going to tell Damian Hardwick that he's got it all wrong when he PUBLICLY states just how good Cousins was for the Tigers...especially in teaching their younger mids...heck...Im sure Jack Stevens learnt more off Mqualter in your world....

Aparently "Im a computer expert"... but you declare Ben Cousins output as overrated??? - just exactly how did you measure his performances to reach that conclusion Einstein? in direct contrast to his coach?...I smell a hypocrit...and not a bright one...
Oh, but that's right....Bens a crack head....I mean we are all about the moral high ground at St Kilda - just ask Lovett....the football ability comes way down the list as long as we model fine young citizens... :roll:

Lets have 1 last FACT genius: Who caused more public humiliation/embarrassment for their club - Cousins for Tigers or Lovett for St Kilda????

LAST FACT I promise: Who paid more with draft picks for their "star"????

Genius. :wink:
Wont go into it too much because most of the above is fairy stuff. But a couple of pointers to assist you in your future thought processes.

1. I came to my opinion on his performances by going to Richmond games and watching him. How did you measure his impact on teammates?

2. Yes, Hardwick did give his respect to Cousins, who was already there... Just before to probably told him to retire at the end of the year. What else would you like him to say?

3. Comparing him to McQualter? How much 'spreading' would he be doing as a defensive forward? May as well compare him to Dawson or Fisher or any other defender.

4. In refernece to who caused more damage. As I told you, everyone is an expert after the event. So well done.

Most of above is based on fairly dust, unmeasurable impacts and being an expert after the event. Very informative.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Thinline wrote:Ross is a seriously hard bastard who demands absolute commitment and ruthlessly high levels of fitness.

Fev is undisciplined. Fev is fat. I can see the merit in him in our lineup if he was fit and firing, but it's so an unrealistic discussion to be having.
There was never, at any stage, a question on Fev's goal-scoring ability.

People forget that (a) offence is only 40% of the game, and (b) Fev was traded from one club and sacked from the next for reasons that have nothing to do with his playing ability.

Footy daydream #537:

Casey Scorpions coach post-victory: "Yeah, they set up a pretty tight press but we managed to pick our way through it with some careful short kicking, and keeping the ball inside forward 50 was crucial, yeah Fev was a big part of that with his tackling and pressure on their rebounding defenders"

Do you think Rooey and Milne don't tackle?

Wanna play one man short in the forward line for 60% of the game?

And finally, somebody please tell me what Fev has done to prove he has left behind the problems that saw him ejected from two AFL clubs?

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Same old same old with Fev...

He is so lucky he was born with such a talent, to delay his inevitable life in the gutter by a few years...

How hard is it for someone to stay off booze completely... Whats with this acceptance of having 1 or 2 'beers' with my mates...

Not good enough... Not one single drop of alcohol for 2 years...

Is that really that hard?

Is it a cultural thing?... It points to a bigger societal issue IMO...

The passing of the baton is when a father has his first beer with his son...

I digress...

Same goes with Fev and his gambling... Doesn't punt, but plays a bit of poker?!?... :shock:

Clearly a fool, who will never see the writing on the wall...

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Do we roll the dice or not ?
Lovett or Leavitt ?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Thinline wrote:Ross is a seriously hard bastard who demands absolute commitment and ruthlessly high levels of fitness.

Fev is undisciplined. Fev is fat. I can see the merit in him in our lineup if he was fit and firing, but it's so an unrealistic discussion to be having.

People forget that (a) offence is only 40% of the game, and (b) Fev was traded from one club and sacked from the next for reasons that have nothing to do with his playing ability.

Footy daydream #537:

Casey Scorpions coach post-victory: "Yeah, they set up a pretty tight press but we managed to pick our way through it with some careful short kicking, and keeping the ball inside forward 50 was crucial, yeah Fev was a big part of that with his tackling and pressure on their rebounding defenders"

Do you think Rooey and Milne don't tackle?

Wanna play one man short in the forward line for 60% of the game?

And finally, somebody please tell me what Fev has done to prove he has left behind the problems that saw him ejected from two AFL clubs?
I seem to recall other Footy Show appearances over the years. Following each controversy. First at Carlton and later at Brisbane.

All seemed to have a common theme of "I've learned my lesson", "I've grown up", "I've stopped drinking", "I've stopped gambling" etc.

Obviously each of those announcements proved to be incorrect. Why would any now have a better chance of resembling the truth?

And consider this. He may be 100% genuine in what he says. But if he was to be given a chance, and if he was to once again become a gun AFL Forward bagging goals each week, would he be able to remain on the straight and narrow in the face of the resultant over the top adulation?

Ironically, his best chance at long term survival in the AFL might be to come back as a GOP!

And I don't think we have a vacancy in that area. 8-)

degruch
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:

Except for the 30-odd attempts he made at scoring goal #100 a couple seasons back. :lol:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He looked different, but he still either coughed, scratched his back or fluttered his eyelids when answering the tough stuff.

I think he is better, if a club takes a punt on him, it would be with the understanding that he is 'recovering' rather than 'recovered'

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:He looked different, but he still either coughed, scratched his back or fluttered his eyelids when answering the tough stuff.

I think he is better, if a club takes a punt on him, it would be with the understanding that he is 'recovering' rather than 'recovered'
If we're gonna take a punt next year on some bloke who's kicked goals in the VFL, I'd much rather it be Tommy than Fev.

Let's back our own bloke who's done nothing wrong before someone else's who's stuffed up many times.

bozza1980
Club Player

Spinner wrote:I think people get confused... When a risk goes bad... doesnt mean it was the wrong decision to make. Thats what makes a risk a risk.
Very true.

It's all about risk v reward, Gardiner is a great example of this.

Cost next to nothing which probably balanced out the risk at the time. In the end we would probably consider ourselves a long way in front.

That said it did have the potential to blow up in our faces
Spinner wrote:Get Fev, 150,000 for one year. High draft pick.
I have no evidence to base this feeling on, but I think we might be Fev's only chance to find an AFL home, not that this should be a deciding factor.

I'm not sure on what figures would make it right for us, but maybe a heavilly incentivised minimum salary contract might make the risk worthwhle??

It'd be interesting, he'd definitely fill the extra tall forward role Ross said he was after next year.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Hawks should have a look at him, Roughead reportedly suffering a bit of a setback, he would be good insurance if something happened to Buddy.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Spinner wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:Seriously the bloke deserves a chance.

We stuffed up with Lovett - maybe unlucky...but...we probably should have had a ping at cousins...these things can work out!!!

Fev is definitely worth a punt. Especially for the saints.

Just my two drunken cents

I still maintain Lovett was a risk worth taking. And Cousins not.

In hindsight Cousins played some average games... Was injured. Played some more. Then was injured again.

Lovett didnt play any.

Im not going to be one of the 'experts' and work in hindsight. I still maintain my analysis. Even though it fell the opposite way.

I think people get confused... When a risk goes bad... doesnt mean it was the wrong decision to make. Thats what makes a risk a risk.

Get Fev, 150,000 for one year. High draft pick.
Yep.

Sometimes a one in ten chance comes good, and sometimes a seven in ten chance goes bad... that's life, it's risk and assessment of that risk... I trust they made the right decision at the time with the information they had (I was in favour of picking up both players at the time).

The irony is that lovett wouldn't have been in that room had St Kilda not recruited him, so who knows where he'd be now, and maybe us knocking cousins back was the final moment of clarity that scared him enough to clean up for a year or two... but how's he going now?

Fev is a risk, but you way up the potential gain against potential cost, and try to judge where he's at and what he's likely to offer and deliver, then you make your call..

From my perspective (a million miles away), he would be cheap, on a short leash behaviour and contract wise, and could deliver much... But I trust the club will look at him, and if he's not worth pursuing, they wont.

The hindsight floggery (from a million miles away) on this forum gets to the pathological stage sometimes... you really gotta wonder about how tightly some cats are wound.

I say this a lot but this one takes the cake.

Easily the most logical, sensible and intelligent post ive seen.

This should front the website... As it seems all of the above is usuaully left at the front door for most posters.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Same old same old with Fev...

He is so lucky he was born with such a talent, to delay his inevitable life in the gutter by a few years...

How hard is it for someone to stay off booze completely... Whats with this acceptance of having 1 or 2 'beers' with my mates...

Not good enough... Not one single drop of alcohol for 2 years...

Is that really that hard?

Is it a cultural thing?... It points to a bigger societal issue IMO...

The passing of the baton is when a father has his first beer with his son...

I digress...

Same goes with Fev and his gambling... Doesn't punt, but plays a bit of poker?!?... :shock:

Clearly a fool, who will never see the writing on the wall...

Surely having a few beers with mates is a normal thing to do....

And it is really hard and difficult to not drink because so much of society and business and socialising revolves around it. It is difficult for a lot of people in certain industries to not drink becasue of the culture. Business lunches, work functions, socialising.

I know a mate that I could never do his job because so much of it revolves around relationships, and lunches and drinking.

Its bloody tough just gonig out with friends with no pressure and being the only one not having a drink.

Its not as easy and simple as some people suggest unfortunately.
Last edited by Spinner on Fri 09 Sep 2011 2:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

We have had some success, and some failures, but frankly, I'm a little over our club being used as a rehab centre...if the last episode didn't take it's toll, I'd have probably felt differently.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

I'd take him if he agreed to do no interviews or media while at the club, and if he came to us for almost a rookie wage, with incentives at the end of the season if he makes it through.

If he wants to play footy, and can prove he can be a part of a team and stay away from the media he's worth a chance.

We'd have to maybe change our major sponsor though.

gosaints
Club Player

I'd like to see us pick up Fev.
I think he'd not only kick goals for us but make Rooey, Milney and Schneider that much more dangerous.

Also for those who say he doesn't chase, tackle or apply any forward pressure, just a little bit of perspective.
Comparing him with Roo over the last 3 full years of there careers.

Roo
2011 - 21 games, 49 tackles = avg 2.3 per game
2009 - 24 games, 51 tackles = 2.1 per game
2008 - 24 games, 18 tackles = .75 per game

Fev
2010 - 17 games, 28 tackles = avg 1.6 per game
2009 - 23 games, 50 tackles = 2.1 per game
2008 - 22 games, 38 tackles = 1.7 per game

I know tackles don't mean everything but considering that Roo has spent alot of time up the ground and Fev mainly in the forward 50 it's easy to see he is no worse than what we have already got.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

gosaints wrote:I'd like to see us pick up Fev.
I think he'd not only kick goals for us but make Rooey, Milney and Schneider that much more dangerous.

Also for those who say he doesn't chase, tackle or apply any forward pressure, just a little bit of perspective.

Roo

Fev

I know tackles don't mean everything but considering that Roo has spent alot of time up the ground and Fev mainly in the forward 50 it's easy to see he is no worse than what we have already got.

Great post IMO.

Also of note he kicked 99 goals in 2008. Sometimes its difficult to tackle when you're kicking so many big ones.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

Roo

Fev

Great post IMO.

Also of note he kicked 99 goals in 2008. Sometimes its difficult to tackle when you're kicking so many big ones.
He was well known for being a good tackler in the F50...remember a few chase-downs and crunching tackles. Anyone who thinks otherwise, simply didn't watch him...or got him confused for Matty Lappin maybe?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Roo

Fev

Great post IMO.

He was well known for being a good tackler in the F50...remember a few chase-downs and crunching tackles. Anyone who thinks otherwise, simply didn't watch him...or got him confused for Matty Lappin maybe?
He can tackle it is just that he picks and chooses when to do it. Not sure you can do that in todays footy. He is still doing that at Scorps this year.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Roo

Fev

Great post IMO.

He can tackle it is just that he picks and chooses when to do it. Not sure you can do that in todays footy. He is still doing that at Scorps this year.

How many times have you watched him at the Scorps this year p66?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Roo

Fev

Great post IMO.

Maybe he does, but I can't remember anyone coming within 2m of him he didn't attempt to tackle...the rest of the time he was steaming out on a lead at 100mph. I'm not in favour of recruiting him for a number of reasons, but his tackling, marking and kicking aren't amongst them...credit where it's due.

Rosco
Club Player

big chance of going nowhere. if he comes to us i will be ok with it but nervous for the whole season. not sure what the par score would be as well, if he kicks 40 and causes no trouble is that a pass? 50 or more a bonus?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Roo

Fev

Great post IMO.

Maybe he does, but I can't remember anyone coming within 2m of him he didn't attempt to tackle...the rest of the time he was steaming out on a lead at 100mph. I'm not in favour of recruiting him for a number of reasons, but his tackling, marking and kicking aren't amongst them...credit where it's due.
Agree

Except regarding whether to get him.

On a scale of -100 to 100

With -100 defined as stay away and 100 defined as get him right now.

Im about a 10.
Last edited by Spinner on Fri 09 Sep 2011 5:36pm, edited 1 time in total.