Riewoldt a little worrying

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Tonight proved 3 talls doesnt work in our forward line.That should be the last time we mention Fevs name.
After 2007, I didn't think we'd ever contemplate it again. Does it work in anyone's forward line?

Roo averaging less than 1 contested mark per game, I believe.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Tonight proved 3 talls doesnt work in our forward line.That should be the last time we mention Fevs name.
After 2007, I didn't think we'd ever contemplate it again. Does it work in anyone's forward line?

Roo averaging less than 1 contested mark per game, I believe.
How about we have two viable talls in the forward line? Most of this season we've had one and a half. Riewoldt and a resting ruckman in Kosi.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

IMO we're not managing Roo all that well

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Funny thing is the Saint were after L. Henderson instead of big Mac according to a source who is the dad of an recently retired player. We got pipped by Brisbane and we got BM instead. And people still whine about all the recruiting blunders, that was a recruiting dodging the bullet if he doesn't improve soon.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:Well at least there is upside.
Roo couldn't possibly play any worse!
Yep. I agree, that was the worst game he's ever played and it won't happen again.
I thought he played better last night than the second time we met Geelong in the season. Now that was his worst ever game. He was spectating for the entire night.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Seaford_Saint
Club Player

[quote="Junction Oval" Could it possibly be any worse than the Swans Jarred McVeigh situation? He returned and played very well on Saturday.[/quote]

I don't think you can compare them - they are both in very different situations and whilst I would never come on here and publish the issues they are rather serious and we all handle issues in our private life differently.

Mrs Seaford_Saint

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
gringo
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:
andrewg wrote:bigcarl is right, you only have to look at how dangerous dawson looked who lets face it is a backman ONLY, if we could get a Butcher or a fit Fev, maybe walsh or siposs internaly firing we would be very very dangerous forward. It would be nice to average 3-4 more goals a game more than we currently do, just to avoide those close loses e.g. cats, blues, tigers and even the recent collingwood game.
Didn't Hawthorn try and use Dawson as a forward option? To me he looked more comfortable up there. Better then having 4 goals booted on him in defense.....and holy crap he kicked one! :)

Reiwoldt was double and triple tagged tonight. He couldn't say boo without a Blues player on him. Tough night for the skip, but he'll bounce back.
We recruited Zac as a forward because he kicked a bag at Box Hill, Hudgetons fragile body and Penny and Voss retiring meant we patched up our full back position temporarily, he just kind of never left after that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
St. Luke wrote:
andrewg wrote:bigcarl is right, you only have to look at how dangerous dawson looked who lets face it is a backman ONLY, if we could get a Butcher or a fit Fev, maybe walsh or siposs internaly firing we would be very very dangerous forward. It would be nice to average 3-4 more goals a game more than we currently do, just to avoide those close loses e.g. cats, blues, tigers and even the recent collingwood game.
Didn't Hawthorn try and use Dawson as a forward option? To me he looked more comfortable up there. Better then having 4 goals booted on him in defense.....and holy crap he kicked one! :)

Reiwoldt was double and triple tagged tonight. He couldn't say boo without a Blues player on him. Tough night for the skip, but he'll bounce back.
We recruited Zac as a forward because he kicked a bag at Box Hill, Hudgetons fragile body and Penny and Voss retiring meant we patched up our full back position temporarily, he just kind of never left after that.
Doubt we recruited Zac as a forward when in every practice game for us he played back. He was recruited as a FB.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The one thing I can't cop hearing is the statement "every champion" has a form slump".

I could hardly bear it after rounds 6-8 and hearing it at the end of the home and away makes me want to cut off my ears.

Geez I hope he can turn it around in 2012 because he will be the most expensive GOP ever to play the game.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:The one thing I can't cop hearing is the statement "every champion" has a form slump".

I could hardly bear it after rounds 6-8 and hearing it at the end of the home and away makes me want to cut off my ears.

Geez I hope he can turn it around in 2012 because he will be the most expensive GOP ever to play the game.
He still hasnt got over reading he is a cancer to the club.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:The one thing I can't cop hearing is the statement "every champion" has a form slump".

Out of interest when is his lucrative contract up?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

lets be honest about this. roo will not even finish top 10 go our b and f let alone is he in the top 10 in the comp anymore. not sure if it's mental or physical but he is down. i think he will really enjoy a rest and holiday. then maybe a preseason in the weights room. was toweled up by lachy henderson . and as we all know another marking forward to help out would be a nice Christmas present whip year although i would like to see Walsh given a go or two.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Maybe they will heed your learned advice and trade Riewoldt (and Goddard) to G Coast :oops:

Only replied to this because it's someone else's thread - You're on my Ignore List for reading posts you start :shock:

As for the OP, Riewoldt just had a good game against NM last week - he will be fine...

No Contract, No contact :shock:
spert
Saintsational Legend

It worries me to see a captain being talked of as needing a rest, form slump etc., and here we are coming into a cut-throat final where the bloody captain should be leading from the front..jeez, can we make Raph captain

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Amazingly opposition coaches seem to have a far different view on Roo than many on here.

Which games have the opposition coaches ignored his possible influence and manned him up with their 2nd/3rd/4th tall option?

Which games have they not double teamed him?

They're obviously all delusional becausee he's apparently nothing more than a 'gop' these days.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Amazingly opposition coaches seem to have a far different view on Roo than many on here.

Which games have the opposition coaches ignored his possible influence and manned him up with their 2nd/3rd/4th tall option?

They're obviously all delusional becausee he's apparently nothing more than a 'gop' these days.
Here's a question I'd like to ask. When was the last time a player of Roo's stature in the game drop completely off the radar for a whole season or longer. There are many players that have worn the champion or elite tag in the past and have had form slumps yet returned to form relatively quickly. These same players have also been the subject of intense scrutiny from the opposition with their only aim but to plot their demise even double and triple teaming yet I can't think of one past champion/elite player that has fallen like Roo has. Usually champion/players have the ability to work through form slumps but if Roo delivers a similar performance in 2012 his career would probably come to a sad end at St Kilda. I would imagine that he is going to have to convince RL that he can turn it around in 2012 otherwise we will have a new captain next season.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Amazingly opposition coaches seem to have a far different view on Roo than many on here.

Here's a question I'd like to ask. When was the last time a player of Roo's stature in the game drop completely off the radar for a whole season or longer. There are many players that have worn the champion or elite tag in the past and have had form slumps yet returned to form relatively quickly. These same players have also been the subject of intense scrutiny from the opposition with their only aim but to plot their demise even double and triple teaming yet I can't think of one past champion/elite player that has fallen like Roo has. Usually champion/players have the ability to work through form slumps but if Roo delivers a similar performance in 2012 his career would probably come to a sad end at St Kilda. I would imagine that he is going to have to convince RL that he can turn it around in 2012 otherwise we will have a new captain next season.
J Brown's had relatively ordinary years. Buddy's influence over the last few seasons has been patchy, something he's overcome now. Same with Luke Hodge. Adam Cooney has been a shell of the Brownlow player he once was and that's probably being kind. If I recall correctly Goodes year before last was by far and away a lesser player to the Rolls Royce we're seeing at the moment. Jesus, I recall quite public conversations about Judd's ability to be what Carlton wanted/expected. Dare I mention Fevola? You can argue all you like about these guys reputations relative to Roo's, but there's no arguing that form fluctuates greatly. It's also fair to say it often ties in with physical condition.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

J Brown's had relatively ordinary years. Buddy's influence over the last few seasons has been patchy, something he's overcome now. Same with Luke Hodge. Adam Cooney has been a shell of the Brownlow player he once was and that's probably being kind. If I recall correctly Goodes year before last was by far and away a lesser player to the Rolls Royce we're seeing at the moment. Jesus, I recall quite public conversations about Judd's ability to be what Carlton wanted/expected. Dare I mention Fevola? You can argue all you like about these guys reputations relative to Roo's, but there's no arguing that form fluctuates greatly. It's also fair to say it often ties in with physical condition.
With the exception of Fev all of those players form slumps came after winning a premierships.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Thinline wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

With the exception of Fev all of those players form slumps came after winning a premierships.
And Cooney.

And so what?

Or has your question changed?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

He still hasnt got over reading he is a cancer to the club.
Roo and BJ. Lenny better come back in top nick from the start all else he'll be labeled a cancer as well.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Thinline wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

And Cooney.

And so what?

Or has your question changed?
Cooney has got to the the most overated player of the past decade. It's no wonder I glossed over his name. His Brownlow just proved how ridiculous that award is in the modern era. Buddy elite or mecurial. Big difference I would have thought. There are atleast 6 other players in the Hawks side that I would take before Buddy. An opinion that is widely held except amoungst teenage boys.

Brown has been cruelled by injury. Not a form slump. Judd took only about half a season to adjust to being tagged heavily in a new team.

Got any more?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman: what is your point?

I'm not convinced there is one...

You acknowledge players have slumps for whatever reason, and yet Roo's slump is somehow inexcusable.

I need to get on some of your good gear to follow the logic I reckon...

My view is simple: Roo has a knee held together by shards of cartilage and it's operating under anaesthetic.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Cairnsman: what is your point?

You acknowledge players have slumps for whatever reason, and yet Roo's slump is somehow inexcusable.

My view is simple: Roo has a knee held together by shards of cartilage and it's operating under anaesthetic.
Don't blame my drugs. So is that it? His knee? If his form slump is his knee and it is unlikely he will improve on this years performance then it is a no brainer. The club will need a new captain for 2012.

Make no mistake about it. He won't be afforded the same protection he has enjoyed this year. AFL footy is not that accomodating.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:

Don't blame my drugs. So is that it? His knee? If his form slump is his knee and it is unlikely he will improve on this years performance then it is a no brainer. The club will need a new captain for 2012.

Make no mistake about it. He won't be afforded the same protection he has enjoyed this year. AFL footy is not that accomodating.
Why do we need a new Captain because Rooy isnt as good as he was. What does that mean? Since when does the Captain have to be the best player. He will be Captain next year unless he doesnt want it.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Why do we need a new Captain because Rooy isnt as good as he was. What does that mean? Since when does the Captain have to be the best player. He will be Captain next year unless he doesnt want it.
And you pontificate like you know everything. It will destabilise the club quicker than a sinking ship. Reason: money. It won’t' take long before there is decent in the camp because of weekly public debates over whether he should even be in the team let alone being paid the money he is on.