Why Benny Mac was a better pick than Cyril...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:
stinger wrote:

heard a footy commentator say this morning that hawthorn's hopes for the premiership rest squarely on rioli's shoulders.....no-one's going to say that about ben...well not this year anyway.......i hope ben goes on to star....and captain the saints.....but is he in the same league as rioli..???...no....not at the moment
Probably because nobody rates us as a premiership contender. Our hopes do actually rest on the shoulders of our only ruckman.
Very overrated review of Rioli, but probably quite accurate for us, unfortunately...and could be a reason for us not going deep into the finals, with Big Mac having to take on 2 very good ruckmen for most teams (surely we'd be making a big play for Jon Griffin if available?).

Funny that I was asked this question about Rioli on the weekend. My comment was that it'd be heartbreaking to have a player like him in and out with injury every week...he can't have a long career ahead of him for that reason, IMO.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If rioli is such a superstar.......why cant he get the pill more than 15 times a game....

When absolute small stars....like montagna, mark murphy, luke power ablett, brent harvey and others regularly get 25-35???

Why isnt such a gun......a midfielder

Joey once got 38 possesions and kicked 5 in a game.....would take cyril 2 of his best games to match that

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The old David V Goliath thread hey?

Salmon Vs Platten?
Madden Vs Burke?
Walls Vs A Hudson?
Alien Vs Predator?
Al Qaeda Vs Nazi's?
Demetriou Vs Anderson?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Don't get me wrong Rioli is a very good player however I think he is overrated due to the excitement factor. What he does is amazing he just doesn't do it enough to be considered a genuine A grade forward like Milne or an A grade midfielder like Dal Santo. Mind you a lot of the so called experts would consider him an A grader and top 50 or so player in the comp. All just opinions...

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Don't get me wrong Rioli is a very good player however I think he is overrated due to the excitement factor.
Exactly! There's a fair amount of showmanship in what he does - not that everyone can do that. Yes, he does some brilliant stuff, but I also can't see what all the excitement is about...he doesn't do it nearly as often as a superstar should. I would like him in our team, but not for only the dozen or so games he manages per season.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:If rioli is such a superstar.......why cant he get the pill more than 15 times a game....

When absolute small stars....like montagna, mark murphy, luke power ablett, brent harvey and others regularly get 25-35???

Joey once got 38 possesions and kicked 5 in a game.....would take cyril 2 of his best games to match that

Are you talking about the same Montagna that took eight years to become an elite player at AFL level.

You embarrass yourself so easily. It's actually entertaining, with each and every post it gets worse.

Saintsational.. The place where we like to rate opposition players - even if we don't watch them playing except against the Saints.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

From a mutual supporter point of view you have to love the Buddy and Cyril show. Cyril is still young and have room for a lot of improvement. I'm certainly happy we took Mac from the two especially with Mac's quick development. He's still 5 years away from his peak for a ruckman. So much upside for the big bloke.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:From a mutual supporter point of view you have to love the Buddy and Cyril show. Cyril is still young and have room for a lot of improvement. I'm certainly happy we took Mac from the two especially with Mac's quick development. He's still 5 years away from his peak for a ruckman. So much upside for the big bloke.

Correct you can be happy with the selection. The selection can even by right. Which it is IMO. We needed a ruckman then and now.

Doesn't mean the player isn't a star and in front of opposition player. In AFL terms Rioli is miles ahead. And 16 out of 17 clubs would take him first. In reality probably 17.

If Ball was still here, people would still rate him ahead of Judd.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Old Mate wrote:From a mutual supporter point of view you have to love the Buddy and Cyril show. Cyril is still young and have room for a lot of improvement. I'm certainly happy we took Mac from the two especially with Mac's quick development. He's still 5 years away from his peak for a ruckman. So much upside for the big bloke.

Correct you can be happy with the selection. The selection can even by right. Which it is IMO. We needed a ruckman then and now.

Doesn't mean the player isn't a star and in front of opposition player. In AFL terms Rioli is miles ahead. And 16 out of 17 clubs would take him first. In reality probably 17.

If Ball was still here, people would still rate him ahead of Judd.
Don't know. Mac's currency has skyrocketed this year. I couldn't see the Saints offloading Mac for Rioli straight swap especially with Gardy's retirement. I reckon there would be a few other teams that would take Mac as well. Also doesn't change the fact that some consider Rioli overrated. What does he do better than Betts and Milne? They all apply pressure, Rioli maybe a bit more however he doesn't kick anywhere near the amount of goals that those two do. I don't think I'm being too one-eyed. :?:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The same montagna who was a rising star in 2003

Remember he broke his ankle in early 2002 and missed 4 months

He played in the wizard cup GF in 2004 and played 10 games in a team that finished in a prelim at 20yo

Season 5
9th in the best and fairest in 2006 on 107 votes ( 1 vote behind gehrig and hudghton who finshed equal 7th on 108)( dal and bj equal 5th on 115)
So really he was 8 votes off 4th........421 disposals

Season 6
2007.....third in the Best and Fairest.....502 disposals

Season 7
2008.......six in the best and fairest.......579 disposals

Season 8
Apparantly his first good season
Third in the best and fairest....second time.....670 games

Season 9
Runner up......745 possesions

I would say he has been pretty handy for a while
Recieved brownlow votes in all bar 1 season of his career

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:The same montagna who was a rising star in 2003

Remember he broke his ankle in early 2002 and missed 4 months

He played in the wizard cup GF in 2004 and played 10 games in a team that finished in a prelim at 20yo

Season 5
9th in the best and fairest in 2006 on 107 votes ( 1 vote behind gehrig and hudghton who finshed equal 7th on 108)( dal and bj equal 5th on 115)
So really he was 8 votes off 4th........421 disposals

Season 6
2007.....third in the Best and Fairest.....502 disposals

Season 7
2008.......six in the best and fairest.......579 disposals

Season 8
Apparantly his first good season
Third in the best and fairest....second time.....670 games

Season 9
Runner up......745 possesions

I would say he has been pretty handy for a while
Recieved brownlow votes in all bar 1 season of his career

You silly silly man. How long did that take? Enjoyable.. Good to know I can make you waste 35 mins of your life.

Bet you a gazzilion dollars Rioli gets an AA before his eighth season. That's right i said it took eight years for Montagna to become elite. AA fairly indicative of being elite.

Your the one that said handy. Obviously a fan of being handy. Lucky I said elite.

I pay my bets. Hope you do. I'll be able to retire before I'm 30. Then I'll be able to construct factual posts that take hours, detailing information I already knew!

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:The old David V Goliath thread hey?

Salmon Vs Platten?
Madden Vs Burke?
Walls Vs A Hudson?
Alien Vs Predator?
Al Qaeda Vs Nazi's?
Demetriou Vs Anderson?
platten
madden
walls
alien
nazis
demetrio

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Took 15 minutes

To explain that joey montagna has been a high quality midfielder since 2006

Cyril (who will be aa this year, even though 10 other are more deserving) has never even ventured into the midfield for a game....he is nothing more than a handy small forward.....with 5 other elite small fwds who are better...we have one

And another who is as good

Stats sometimes tell an actual truth....opinions are just that

He is overrated.....and is nowhere near elite

And

Plenty of elite mids have never been AA....

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Took 15 minutes

Cyril (who will be aa this year, even though 10 other are more deserving) has never even ventured into the midfield for a game....he is nothing more than a handy small forward.....with 5 other elite small fwds who are better...we have one

And

Stats dilute actual truth also. Like mixing in first year stats through the cycle of a career. Especially that only 4 years old.

Rioli is a gun. You make yourself look foolish trying to argue otherwise.

Maybe start a new thread, similar to the go game/tv dispute. This one should be: can you really have an opinion if you don't actually watch a player at all.

My answer is that you shouldn't to able to. Just my opinion though.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
BigMart wrote:Took 15 minutes

And

Stats dilute actual truth also. Like mixing in first year stats through the cycle of a career. Especially that only 4 years old.

Rioli is a gun. You make yourself look foolish trying to argue otherwise.

Maybe start a new thread, similar to the go game/tv dispute. This one should be: can you really have an opinion if you don't actually watch a player at all.

My answer is that you shouldn't to able to. Just my opinion though.
Even stats in a game can be rubbish especially since he only used possessions. What about tackles, assists and even chasing and harassing which obviously isnt a stat. Even the excitement around the team when he kicks a magical goal as happens with us with Milney.

Anyway didnt this thread start with who would be a better pick for us. Right now it may actually be Ben but lets be honest if Rioli was the pick we may have won one and maybe two GF'd because he certainly could have easily been worth at least one point and could even have been worth up to 2 goals. No one will ever know but we do know Ben didnt play in either of our close GF's and you would have expected Rioli would have. I am very happy to have Ben now but I wish we had Rioli in our last 2 years.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
dragit wrote:The old David V Goliath thread hey?

Salmon Vs Platten?
Madden Vs Burke?
Walls Vs A Hudson?
Alien Vs Predator?
Al Qaeda Vs Nazi's?
Demetriou Vs Anderson?
platten
madden
walls
alien
nazis
demetrio
Thanks desert, was feeling a bit lonely there for a bit…

Legendary
Club Player

I agree with BigMart re: Rioli.

Can do some amazing things within a game, but is nowhere consistent enough yet to be labelled a "gun".

Kicks less goals, has less disposals than Milne and Schneider. Doesn't have a big impact when he plays midfield, and often goes missing for a long time within a game.

He's still young, but IMO Rioli is overrated. However he has plenty of time to improve a find consistency in his game, but it's not there at the moment.

Richter
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:
BigMart wrote:If rioli is such a superstar.......why cant he get the pill more than 15 times a game....

Are you talking about the same Montagna that took eight years to become an elite player at AFL level.

You embarrass yourself so easily. It's actually entertaining, with each and every post it gets worse.

Saintsational.. The place where we like to rate opposition players - even if we don't watch them playing except against the Saints.
Why play the poster Spinner?

Mart is only giving his opinion, why the personal stuff?

Unnecessary.

-----------------------

For mine I've only ever assumed that Cyril was terrific because he has such a great highlights reel - that and he broke in to a team that won the flag in his first year.

Hearing other's viewpoints on his consistency will help inform how I watch his progress in the future though.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Who the hell would want someone on their team with the name "Cyril" anyway?

The name is far for suited for a club like Hawthorn :lol:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
goodie
Club Player

The question isn't 'Is/will Big Ben be a better player than Cyril?', the is 'Is Big Ben a better pick than Cyril?'

Considering our club's needs and current standing, looks like a resounding yes. Cyril would be competing with Milne & Schneiderman for a spot. Big Ben has pretty much no competition for his place.

Who would want to see Kosi carry the ruck load for the entire year if it meant having Cyril in the forward line?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why is he any better than eddie betts

In 2011 he is behind betts....

You want an example of overrated

There was a question on SEN
Who was the better player out of cyril and buddy

One has a few all aust guernseys,,,a coleman....top three in b&f consistently...won countless games off his own boot and is regarded in the top three key fwds over the last 4 years

The other is a fwd pocket

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why is he any better than eddie betts

In 2011 he is behind betts....

You want an example of overrated

There was a question on SEN
Who was the better player out of cyril and buddy

One has a few all aust guernseys,,,a coleman....top three in b&f consistently...won countless games off his own boot and is regarded in the top three key fwds over the last 4 years

The other is a fwd pocket

Righto mate.

If there was a draft tomorrow...

You can take Betts with pick 1... And myself and the rest of the football world, including Carlton supporters will take Rioli.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I would take Rioli....niether would be a number 1

Never said he cannot play....

But he aint elite....imo...as suggested

The 6-8th best at hawthorn

Well outside the top 50 in the AFL.......

Unless he become a bonafide midfielder.....he wont ever be elite...his actual output is simply not good enough.....at this rate, he will become a jeff farmer

Question back to you
Who wouldy you take
Murphy or Rioli
Or
Scully or Rioli

Difference.......they are mids