Lets remove the Grandstand from Riewoldt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Spinner wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Spinner wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:You are right. I have no idea how much it effects him being Captain but neither do you. It hasnt effected him in 5 or so years but now all of a sudden when he is out of form we are looking for other excuses. And even if he wasnt Captain and he was playing how he is there would be exactly the same focus on him in these footy shows because of the player he is not because he is our captain.
You are right, I have no idea, it's just an opinion.

I agree there would be focus on him on him anyway because of his position and status in the game, that's kind of my point, surely that's enough?

Anyways, had my say.

Is a significantly poor opinion to say the least.

Very poor.
Poor in the sense that I worry about him and his wellbeing, or poor because my opinion differs to yours?

Don't get why people think it's the best thing to push him to breaking point?

Anyways, I remember you disagreeing with me about a certain defender a couple of years ago, said he wouldn't make it :P
Well if we all agreed, it would be pretty boring, your honour. :wink:
Not sure what relevance this has to the entire thread....
None whatsoever 8-)
Thought so.

Anyways a few questions.

Who would you give it to?

Who do you then give it to when that players form begins to wavier?

Who do you give it to after that?

Also, and this is not the reason why Riewoldt should continue with the captaincy... But what type of look is it for the entire football world if the club took the captaincy off their best player, most mature player, most consistent player, the face of the club... all because his form waivered once in ten years....

Rabble, Crumbling, Weak... These are all words that would describe the above.

In fact removing the captaincy from Riewoldt would probably affect him more as a professional athlete.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

It was a great post spinner but once is enough. i did like it though especially your last point. How true is that.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Spinner wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Spinner wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:You are right. I have no idea how much it effects him being Captain but neither do you. It hasnt effected him in 5 or so years but now all of a sudden when he is out of form we are looking for other excuses. And even if he wasnt Captain and he was playing how he is there would be exactly the same focus on him in these footy shows because of the player he is not because he is our captain.

I agree there would be focus on him on him anyway because of his position and status in the game, that's kind of my point, surely that's enough?

Anyways, had my say.

Very poor.
Poor in the sense that I worry about him and his wellbeing, or poor because my opinion differs to yours?

Anyways, I remember you disagreeing with me about a certain defender a couple of years ago, said he wouldn't make it :P
None whatsoever 8-)
Thought so.

Anyways a few questions.

Also, and this is not the reason why Riewoldt should continue with the captaincy... But what type of look is it for the entire football world if the club took the captaincy off their best player, most mature player, most consistent player, the face of the club... all because his form waivered once in ten years....

In fact removing the captaincy from Riewoldt would probably affect him more as a professional athlete.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

It was a great post Sinner but once it enough. Good points especially that last part. How true is that.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Spinner wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Spinner wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Anyways, had my say.

Very poor.

None whatsoever 8-)
Thought so.

Anyways a few questions.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Form?

I can't speak for everyone else.

For mine though, this isn't about form, it's about him.

A form slump doesn't bother me one bit.

I just care that he looks troubled, sad, burdened.

Anyway, I thought it didn't matter what the football world thought externally, or does that only apply sometimes?

Rabble, Crumbling, Weak?

Meh, they say that about St Kilda anyhow, who cares.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Form?

Anyway, I thought it didn't matter what the football world thought externally, or does that only apply sometimes?

Rabble, Crumbling, Weak?

He will even sad and troubled if he loses the Captaincy. May not have the burden of being Captain but will carry around the burden of losing it when he didnt want to. Anyway all I see is a person pissed off with his form.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:He will even sad and troubled if he loses the Captaincy.
Probably short term he would. But then he might look 10 years younger like Ricky Ponting and start producing again what we know he's capable of.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Probably short term he would. But then he might look 10 years younger like Ricky Ponting and start producing again what we know he's capable of.
Is that the same Ricky Ponting who averaged just over his long term average in India or is it Michael Clarke, the new Captain, who averaged way over his long term average. Why is it just this year it is the captaincy effecting him? Anyway who should be Captain?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Form?

Rabble, Crumbling, Weak?

Ok so back to the original question. Who gets it? Or do we set a new precedent of not having a captain.

If he isn't good enough to carry the responsibilty of captain he shouldnt be getting paid what he is. He is though good enough IMO.

And regarding those 'descriptions' it does matter because the outside football world would be right.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Apologies for duplicate, triplicate & quadruplicate posts. Must be my work computer.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Is that the same Ricky Ponting who averaged just over his long term average in India or is it Michael Clarke, the new Captain, who averaged way over his long term average. Why is it just this year it is the captaincy effecting him? Anyway who should be Captain?
Ponting should have been stripped of the captaincy three years ago. We missed three years of good batting from him because he wasn't.