Team v North - Extended bench

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I'm no different to a lot of people in here in that I'm really keen to see the kids get a go.

And I'm not a real fan of Mini - I don't see him in our best 22 going forward.

But I also don't believe any player should have his card stamped before the end of the season. If a guy goes back to Sandy and consistently gets in the best players then they deserve to be considered for selection as much as anyone else.

I personally don't want Mini to make the final 22 on Sunday, but if he does I won't "spew".

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintjake wrote:Johnson is fit and ready to be picked btw guys.

willyjay38 Will Johnson
@ @Jakedoss nah mate, fit and available. Just not playing well enough.. Hopefully soon though. Thanks for the support buddy!!

very very puzzling.
Have you seen him play lately and have to laugh about people worrying how the side is selected. Please give me one game were they have run out as selected. Make it in the last 10 years.
kicked 3 last week. If thats an out of form forward then give me 3 because we struggle to get a player to scre 3+ goals at AFL level full stop.

We currently have a out of form riewoldt, milne, schenider and struggler in gamble and a midfielder in armo as our forward line. That is the worst in the AFL right now.

We didn't kick big scores in 2009-2010 but at least we had a strong midfield and a reasonable forward line. Right now it's a joke.

If johnson, walsh archer etc. are not good enough then we will be looking for half a dozen forwards next year. :roll:
I am unsure who said Johnson was out of form. I actually didnt see last weeks game and I suggest most whinging here didnt either. What if they were 3 handballs over the top in the goal square. Does that make it a good game? Not necessarily but that is why you have to see them play and not just go by goals kicked. I have a feeling our coaching panel did see the game and thought he wasnt good enough to be selected and for those wanting a strong marking forward well sorry Johnson aint one of them so he may not really have a role at the club at the moment.
I'm going from what people report who watch the game and goal lists. Will back marto over you anyday.

It's pathetic.
Another sucked in by BM. I pity you if you think he has any knowledge of footy unless having a go at everything the club does is a good thing. Sorry but I have more knowledge of the saints on my little finger than he has in his whole brain. I dont see how knocking 95% of selections without any idea is knowledgeable. I know you cant stand me but if you want to understand the game and the players listen to me and not the guy who just sledges everything the club does.
Look at me...Look at me...isn't that the definition of FIGJAM...welcome aboard FIG
That would mean I have a high opinion of myself but in this case i am only knowing more than BM. That isnt saying much. Even you may know more than him but it is highly doubtful and that is saying something.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I've read your football doctrine...on a postage stamp and FIG, it's out of date...

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:I've read your football doctrine...on a postage stamp and FIG, it's out of date...
At least try to be original. Like our forward line I give that 1/10. Come back soon and try again. Plenty of improvement left in you.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Mr Magic said :
Just curious, why will you be 'very disappointed'? (not actually directiung this to you persoanally but to all the posters making remarks about the team selection)

Do you know why certain selections were made?

Do you know what match-ups we've got planned?

Do you know which players are 100% ready to go?

Do you know which players did the jobs they were required by the coaches to do last game and at traning?

You are absolutely correct - we Posters know nothing about "inside matters." It's all care and no responsibility with us, so we are free to "offer" our opinions. However, collectively, through our "experiences," we can sense what needs to be done in general terms. For us, it is not a matter of inches between success or failure. We don't get paid the big bucks to make decisions, but it is interesting how the Poster group is not far off from reality - poor kicking skills, no forward structure, mid-field weakness etc etc.

Saintsational is a fun sight for those with some genuine interest in the Club - YES, it's easy to be critical and some definitely are over-the-top, but that's what we pay our membership fees for. Because we can all have our say and be "experts," AFL football is a very passionate sport. :!:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

[quote="BigMartLynch is the lucky one considering Smith and Sipposs played much better than him on the weekend.[/quote]

This is the line you cheery picked to attempt to critisise me BM.

What no mention of Smith? i suppose I was watching another game as well?

Maybe your great expertise is just an OPINION. Or maybe Attila Sipposs is correct about you.
Last edited by joffaboy on Thu 30 Jun 2011 11:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:I've read your football doctrine...on a postage stamp and FIG, it's out of date...
At least try to be original. Like our forward line I give that 1/10. Come back soon and try again. Plenty of improvement left in you.
Another 18,000 posts to go to get down to your level FIG......i dont think we'll live that long

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Ross has shelved the year, so I really don't know why Mini, Gamble, Polo and Bakes are even considered. They are not part of our future. Two of them are not even part of our past.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Another 18,000 posts to go to get down to your level FIG......i dont think we'll live that long
That isnt any better. Actually you are going backwards. Are you sure you arent a rower?

Quixote
SS Life Member

You know what, I'm just outraged.

In general terms.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Top thread. We're good at fighting with our own. You wouldn't ever catch me doing that. Ever. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Who knows, it could even simply be Kosi out someone in...

Quite a bit of emotion for an extended bench.

3 are emergencies after all.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Who knows, it could even simply be Kosi out someone in...

Quite a bit of emotion for an extended bench.

3 are emergencies after all.
Exactly. We never have to many people whinge about the emergencies every week.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Johnson has kicked multiple goals in the last couple of weeks, and has kicked 24 in 8 games this year
that's handy. regardless of form I thought he and/or walsh would have been a chance purely for forward structure, which is a shambles.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Johnson is sick.

Has anyone considered the possibility that the club is tinkering about with all sorts of options with a view to next year?

Young, old, mid-career, whatever.

Our list is not made up entirely of 18 year olds. FACT is we've been managing kids through. Like it or not the young blokes are not capable of week in week out footy - see GC's heavy week-by-week rotation for proof. By virtue of an AFL list's nature there's always going to be a mix of old and not so.

Maybe Gilbo gets a full crack forward this week (as named) and Mini plays exclusively as a centreman.

Surely either option is just as valuable as letting Sippo run around for 3 handy touches, 1.2, and otherwise a whole heap of nothing...

One thing's certain: regardless of what we bitch and moan about, they are not selecting these teams thoughtlessly.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
matrix
Saintsational Legend

"but if you want to understand the game and the players listen to me and not the guy who just sledges everything the club does."

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

It really doesn't matter which 22 run out on Sunday!

"GOTTA SUPPORT THE TEAM"

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What game whete you watching joffa....

I dont want to be too negative on arryn, but he touched the ball half a dozen times on the weekend, and missed a couple of opportunities that would have turned an otherwise poor game into an average one...

Johnson had a far bigger impact...not just on the scoreboard....

Walsh was average....against a 200 game 200cm dual afl premiership ruckman...

His three weeks prior he has been very good

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

And plugger

Well leave it up to others to decide that....... I am not a big enough f***wit to announce something so pathetic....Get a grip

Go and read some more books this weekend, ill try and get a few kicks....you know about as much as anyone on here....two fifths of FA.

Its great how your close contacts within the club 1) give you so much inside knowledge. 2) if they do, you come on here and share it on a fan forum...

Anyone would think you are a confidant of Ross Lyon.

Reality....arm chair expert, just like me......

Again

Get a grip

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What game whete you watching joffa....

I dont want to be too negative on arryn, but he touched the ball half a dozen times on the weekend, and missed a couple of opportunities that would have turned an otherwise poor game into an average one...

You saw the same game as me BM. Johnson gave much more than a marking target. Conditions didn't help Walsh and he does give away a lot of frees. Sippo will be much better next year and has bulked up a bit in the last couple of months.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What game whete you watching joffa....

Obviously the one where i dont have an agenda towards Sipposs as pointed out by one of his family on here.

So Johnson had better games than Polo, McQualter, and Clarke? pfft.

If you bothered to look, I mentioned on another thread that it wasn't a day for the big blokes as it was very windy (except Brett Eddy was giving Lynch a bath into the wind before he did a knee).

Still doesn't detract from the fact that the selected players had better games than both Johnson and Walsh.

Lynch is very lucky to be getting a gig and deserves it less than the other three selected.

Maybe Johnson for Lynch, but Johnson, Stanley and Archer have shown nothing in the AFL so far.

This constant bagging of everything the club does really is tiresome.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Ross has shelved the year, so I really don't know why Mini, Gamble, Polo and Bakes are even considered. They are not part of our future. Two of them are not even part of our past.
Ross seems to be making a lot of statements that aren't making it into the mainstream media :shock:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Ross has shelved the year, so I really don't know why Mini, Gamble, Polo and Bakes are even considered. They are not part of our future. Two of them are not even part of our past.
Ross seems to be making a lot of statements that aren't making it into the mainstream media :shock:
Bloody media. Why dont they report the fantasies of the likes of BS? :wink:

Lance or James??

gringo
Saintsational Legend

A mate went down to watch his nephew play for Collingwood who I rate as having a clue and he said Mac qualter was easily our best. He said his nephew ran down Raph and attributed his tackle on keeping him out this week. I asked about johnson and said he didn't notice him.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

They just continue to pick players who have no future in the AFL. Perhaps McQualter and Polo do perform better in the VFL; just like some of the other senior Sandy players who don't cut it at the next level.

McQualter, Polo and Gamble wouldn't be considered at any top AFL club and I doubt Gram, Clarke and Jones would get a regular gig in a top four side these days. Bakes is also on his last legs and isn't an automatic selection.

The fact is that we've got several players with skills that need to be developed and others who haven't been given a shot who all have spots taken from them by the rotating door of bottom four plodders with no future. And now Lyon has gone so extreme on the 'experience' factor that we're going in with one ruckman and one tall forward with no backup. Why is it so ridiculous to ask for a team like this

B: Gwilt, Dawson, Dempster
HB: Fisher, Walsh, Gilbert
C: Ledger, Armitage, Dal Santo
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, Goddard
F: Milne, Johnson, Siposs

Foll: McEvoy, Montagna, Steven
Int: Archer, Peake, Lynch
Sub: Smith

Mostly players with good footskills and they all either have major upside for the future or their form means that they can't be dropped. Plenty of goal scoring options, plenty of run and a solid team balance. Lynch comes on to a flank and either Fisher or Goddard go to the midfield, Archer provides a temporary backup to McEvoy and splits packs when played forward. Johnson is a lead up target and can stay with gun opposition defenders going the other way. Smith on in the last quarter to provide an injection of pace and enthusiasm.

Surely some of those ideas are better than 'see if McQualter is any good on his 80th recall and if Polo learnt to kick. Gamble can be our Chris Dawes and McEvoy can ruck all game every week - that's sure to hold his body in good stead for the future! Johnson doesn't get a game until he kicks 12. Walsh runs forward too often and kicks the ball too long and straight. Let's keep Raph again as the sub, he seems to love that role.'
Last edited by mad saint guy on Fri 01 Jul 2011 1:10am, edited 1 time in total.