Tom Ledger

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah...Interesting how everyone has a different take on these guys.

In Ledger's NAB game, I just thought he looked like he belonged. I still think he is most likely going to be a long term player. Should be close to breaking into the side in a month or so. He rooted his hammy. Needs to get match fit again.

Sippos, I saw twice in the magoos and just did not waste opportunities. His weapon is his set shot kicking. We need to develop this kid. He could be anything.

Cripps...I thought was behind those two.... I think I might be wrong.

Steven is developing nicely.

Stanley is not developing well at all this year. Is just going along at Sandy.

Walsh....I'm not sure.

Andreoli is now at a senior level for Sandringham.

Don't forget Will Johnson. Subi could suit him this week. Might go back to Sandy but his form has been great for Sandy before hurting his shoulder.

And last but not least, Jackson Ferguson. This bloke has the onfield attitude. He goes hard. Honestly, he could be good enough.

I like this bunch of kids atm. I really do.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
BallBanger wrote:If Jack Steven learns to stay on his feet will be another N.Burke....but if he keeps falling over will be just another gop. Does he need to learn to play in different boots?

Is Ledger really that quick..I've not seen much of him but he appeared to be one paced, be good to think he had other gears
Alas, Jack's a complete dud. Can't run, kick or mark - or stay on his feet. Just why he has so many boosters is a bit of a mystery. He gets two kicks late in a game that is over and people give him votes! Go figure. In comparison, Tom Ledger is a real possibility. But he ain't played a game yet, let alone 50. Before declaring someone a "gun", it is best to see them over a few years at the top level.
Yeah I mean Steven only had 7 clearances :roll:

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
BallBanger wrote:If Jack Steven learns to stay on his feet will be another N.Burke....but if he keeps falling over will be just another gop. Does he need to learn to play in different boots?

Is Ledger really that quick..I've not seen much of him but he appeared to be one paced, be good to think he had other gears
Alas, Jack's a complete dud. Can't run, kick or mark - or stay on his feet. Just why he has so many boosters is a bit of a mystery. He gets two kicks late in a game that is over and people give him votes! Go figure. In comparison, Tom Ledger is a real possibility. But he ain't played a game yet, let alone 50. Before declaring someone a "gun", it is best to see them over a few years at the top level.
I didn't realise there was an official formula :shock:

So it's 50 games before someone can be labelled a gun

But 15 games is sufficient to label someone a complete dud

Have I got it right?

Quixote
SS Life Member

dcstkfc wrote:
perfectionist wrote:

Shhh. Don't let hard evidence to the contrary get in the way of a good old-fashioned (and ill-informed) player bashing.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
perfectionist wrote:

7 clearances, 6 score involvements.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Some good judges anointed Steven as the next R Harvey in his first year. He must be doing something right as our own stars rate him highly. He is going to be a gun, same with Armo. Cripps didn't stand out preseason but Crocker and Ledger really looked like players. The club has more than just glimpses and so must know who is ready and who isn't. I keep thinking Simpkin should take off, maybe just unlucky our key backs hold up. The guy who impressed me most in the NAB was Archer. He seemed like a big marking target full of confidence way beyond his years. Outside mids are easier to get a good game out of than a key forward. I just wish he could tap ruck, he would be a walk up start. I thought Heyne wasn't too bad preseason, same with Lynch.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Some good judges anointed Steven as the next R Harvey in his first year. He must be doing something right as our own stars rate him highly. He is going to be a gun, same with Armo. Cripps didn't stand out preseason but Crocker and Ledger really looked like players. The club has more than just glimpses and so must know who is ready and who isn't. I keep thinking Simpkin should take off, maybe just unlucky our key backs hold up. The guy who impressed me most in the NAB was Archer. He seemed like a big marking target full of confidence way beyond his years. Outside mids are easier to get a good game out of than a key forward. I just wish he could tap ruck, he would be a walk up start. I thought Heyne wasn't too bad preseason, same with Lynch.
If we get one star or at the most 2 out of the players mentioned it would be a bonus. More will be delisted in 2 years than kept. We really do overate our youngsters.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

7 clearances, 6 score involvements.
Thats freakin' terrible!

:wink:

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Solar
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Yeah...Interesting how everyone has a different take on these guys.

In Ledger's NAB game, I just thought he looked like he belonged. I still think he is most likely going to be a long term player. Should be close to breaking into the side in a month or so. He rooted his hammy. Needs to get match fit again.

Sippos, I saw twice in the magoos and just did not waste opportunities. His weapon is his set shot kicking. We need to develop this kid. He could be anything.

Cripps...I thought was behind those two.... I think I might be wrong.

Steven is developing nicely.

Stanley is not developing well at all this year. Is just going along at Sandy.

Walsh....I'm not sure.

Andreoli is now at a senior level for Sandringham.

Don't forget Will Johnson. Subi could suit him this week. Might go back to Sandy but his form has been great for Sandy before hurting his shoulder.

And last but not least, Jackson Ferguson. This bloke has the onfield attitude. He goes hard. Honestly, he could be good enough.

I like this bunch of kids atm. I really do.
Spot on with all those

I'm a big walsh fan, hard to find full back sized players who can run it out as well as walsh can already. If he can keep improving then he is a upgrade of zac.
Not sure about ferguson, can see why he was rookied and he has the tools but are they in the same tool box? hmmmm

Really like the look of ledger but happyif he spends the year getting used to the AFL scene and VFL level. Excited about some of the rookies.... curran the most professional... wow!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Has anybody heard any whispers about an attitude problem re Stanley?

I was told (third hand, so I cannot verify it as 100% true) that he apparently thinks a great deal of his own ability and that it has been noticed/noted.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Has anybody heard any whispers about an attitude problem re Stanley?

I was told (third hand, so I cannot verify it as 100% true) that he apparently thinks a great deal of his own ability and that it has been noticed/noted.
Has been hinted at on SS a number of times. People have also said that about Lynch. These rumours really annooy me. So a 19yo is immature. Big whoops. Most people that age are . If the coaches obsess over this kind of school yard gossip its ridiculous. Just as long as he trains hard and plays hard and doesnt break any laws in his private time. Im sick of these witch hunts over peoples personalities.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Has anybody heard any whispers about an attitude problem re Stanley?

Pretty sure that is 99% not true. I think like most players he thinks he can play but if you are to make it you have to have that attitude.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

He doesn't play like someone who 'rates himself'. Strikes me as a head hanger.

Sipposs has a bit of swagger. Stanley doesn't. Not at all IMO.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

agree with what someone said re Stanley this year; has shown pretty much nothing in the twos from what I've seen. wonder if the suspension has had an impact on his confidence?
look forward to seeing hopefully an up and at 'em Steven in the centre bounces next game

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:

Gee we've some good judges on this forum :roll:

Quixote
SS Life Member

Re: Tom Ledger

Spinner wrote:
Quixote wrote:Any updates?

I noticed 'The Barometer' section in todays Sun had him listed as injured, 1 week away.

Is this correct?

Ledger was easily our most impressive in the pre-season, and for mine is just the type of player we need in the side - tough, quick, wins the ball, can kick on both sides.

:?:

Kick both sides..? You got that from two practice matches..?

Fair effort.
Well I guess we find out a bit more this Sat night, Spin! :D

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
perfectionist wrote:

Gee we've some good judges on this forum :roll:
Rising star this round too, what a dud! :roll: I think the preseason suspension really hurt Jack - and us. He is starting to find his feet now which is great and as much as I hate seeing Lenny on the sidelines, its making Jack and Dave stand up and be counted!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

was ledger that young tallish kid that did a couple of tight runs and get the give and receive a few times in one game?, played either one or two in the nab?
just remember seeing a kid and thought yeah he looks alright
bit of dash...has a go.

i thought rhys was going to be ok and in the side by now
remember him taking this mark in front of pav by reaching beside him and plucking one and thinking
yeah
little more bulk and he looks alright, plus heard some good things on his junior days

jack im biased as i won his signed pic in the 15$ sponsorship shares that year. so i think he will be good.

cripps seems to get in the right spots huh

sippo...next FF for mine

polo im not convinced

archer...i thought he had promise

lynch i thought looked alright too

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

matrix wrote:i thought rhys was going to be ok and in the side by now
remember him taking this mark in front of pav by reaching beside him and plucking one and thinking
yeah
little more bulk and he looks alright, plus heard some good things on his junior days
I reckon you're getting him mixed up with Gaertner...

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
matrix
Saintsational Legend

i reckon im not

im sure it was rhys
but yeah could be wrong
dont even remember gaertner

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:
Spinner wrote:

I noticed 'The Barometer' section in todays Sun had him listed as injured, 1 week away.

Is this correct?

Ledger was easily our most impressive in the pre-season, and for mine is just the type of player we need in the side - tough, quick, wins the ball, can kick on both sides.

Fair effort.

Are there any other Ledger threads that need to be bumped up...?

In fairest, didnt say he couldnt kick both sides, just saying its difficult to know watching a few games. Just getting that clear before he rips out an opposite foot 60m goal from the boundary.

8-) :lol:

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:i reckon im not

im sure it was rhys
but yeah could be wrong
It was Gaertner that outmarked Pav. And no, Ledger wouldn't be a 'tallish' kid. He's about the size of Milney

Richter
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:
Quixote wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Is this correct?

Fair effort.

Are there any other Ledger threads that need to be bumped up...?

In fairest, didnt say he couldnt kick both sides, just saying its difficult to know watching a few games. Just getting that clear before he rips out an opposite foot 60m goal from the boundary.

8-) :lol:
FWIW from the AFL draft profile......

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/ ... sId=104473
In his own words

What type of player are you?
Hard in-and-under midfielder who is skilful on both sides and has the ability to play outside too. I’m a goal-kicker who plays forward comfortably and I consider myself to have fast leg speed and a player who reads the play well.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?
Leigh Montagna. Fast, athletic and good endurance over the field. More importantly I consider myself, like him, to be skilful with my ability to play inside and outside.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Skills on both sides of the body, strength in contests, very quick, good endurance, work rate in games, mentally strong and good around clearances and stoppages too.
With Jack Steven coming on in leaps and bounds these past couple of games, if Ledger were to make a decent fist of it, then suddenly we are looking pretty ok in the midfield again eh?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Sobraz
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:i reckon im not

im sure it was rhys
but yeah could be wrong
Was definetly Gaertner...

I was out of my seat with that mark... The fact that he outmarked Pav raised the excitment levels... 12 months later and he's no longer at the club...

Ledger has great run but it short... Fast legs as oppossed to long strides...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

For some reason, I'm really excited about this bloke...
Obviously haven't seen that much of him yet, but from what I have he looks like he believes that he belongs at this level, which is a massive factor obviously....
From his bio, he's sounds really confident, even a little arrogant which is a trait many great sports people share. He isn't going to die wondering, I've got a good feeling about this debut.