MRP - Joey 1 game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Watch the footage. Joey's eyes are on the ball and Curnow is standing ground zero for a stoppage. Great grounds to fight, incidental contact a second or two before the ball comes down.

I realise the AFL advocate Plunger "you guys shouldn't defend Saints players" 66 reckons all our players should be rubbed out for stupidity and that we deserve everything we get because, well, just because, but hte fact remains that the contact was minor, incidental and in the middle of a stoppage zone.

That bears no resemblance to the Roo incident at the gabba, and only a real flog like plunger could say there is any similarity.

Interested to see your still peddling your shyte around here Plunger, Andy Dimwit still paying your wages is he? What sort of money is there in being an AFL apologist stooge anyway?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Here is the footage. You just click on "video" on the top left of the box above the photo. It's about 20 seconds in:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/n ... 6053074940

I don't like what he did, as it's weak as piss, but that's the first time I've seen it and it is so soft it isn't funny:
Notice that 1 second after Montagna makes contact, Jason Blake is seen looking up at the ball which is coming down?
Middle of a friggin' stoppage!
So he couldnt avoid him and unluckily hit him in the injured shoulder. You are probably right, it seems like pure bad luck.
Firstly, he doesn't even make contact with his shoulder…
Secondly the ball is about to land on Curnow's head, should all the saints players wait till he is safely off the ground before attempting to go for the footy?
There isn't a whole lot of time (5-6 sec) between the Dal Santo tackle and the throw-in, Montagna has run from 50 metres away to make the next contest, He probably hasn't even noticed Curnow hunching until he bumps into him (VERY LIGHTLY)
Firstly he does hit him the shoulder and secondly he even clinches his teeth as he bumps him. I have know idea about 50 metres but as you got the rest of it wrong I will gues that is wrong to.

It was soft but it was unnecessary. And yes they should fight it because he has nothing to lose apart from a few extra points.
Sorry Pluggs you are the wrong one again…
FACTS
1. Montagna kicks the ball from the Carlton backline to the wing - 50 metres. 12:12 on the clock
2. There is a marking contest the ball falls to Curnow, Dal Santo tackles him over the line. 12:03 on the clock.
3. Montagna arrives for the throw-in (yes sprinting from 50 metres away) bumps into Curnow's mid-riff, there is another stoppage as the ball does not come out.

Tell me what part of that is wrong?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Can we beat the charge?

Carlton may have done us a favor by sending Curnow back on. Thats the ONLY way we can beat it IMHO. Beyond that, Joey needs his arze kicked for it !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:Watch the footage. Joey's eyes are on the ball and Curnow is standing ground zero for a stoppage. Great grounds to fight, incidental contact a second or two before the ball comes down.

I realise the AFL advocate Plunger "you guys shouldn't defend Saints players" 66 reckons all our players should be rubbed out for stupidity and that we deserve everything we get because, well, just because, but hte fact remains that the contact was minor, incidental and in the middle of a stoppage zone.

That bears no resemblance to the Roo incident at the gabba, and only a real flog like plunger could say there is any similarity.

Interested to see your still peddling your shyte around here Plunger, Andy Dimwit still paying your wages is he? What sort of money is there in being an AFL apologist stooge anyway?
Plunger. That is hilarious. You come across as a real fun person. Also when did i say it was the same as Rooy incident. You are right though they are different. There is now a rule that you cant do as Joey did.

Now back to the serious stuff. What time is your comedy act on when you call people funny names? Should be a hoot.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

if it was judd wouldve got away with it... accidental contact 8-)

seriously though.. why wasnt every teams backline that played us in the last part of 2009 suspended..... they all targeted riewoldts knee...

it got hurt in each game and kept getting knocked over... arms/knees dropped into it... no one got in trouble???

so why is this such a big issue.... either have same standards for all players or dont have a mrp... simple

judd eye gouge... think fev summed that up brownlow night...
"pressure point, pressure point, steven segal pressure point!"

if i could be bothered id bring more up regarding players like ablett, goodes etc... but i think everyone can already see it clearly

spert
Saintsational Legend

Memo Joey and few others- put that aggression towards getting the ball, as that's what the midfield is lacking.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
plugger66 wrote:...Joey was an idiot and should have focused more on getting clearances than bumping an obviously injured player.
Agree, although he hasn't managed to get these clearances in eight years. He does run all day and can kick to position well when running into the forward area. He still gets caught in the headlights when with the ball on the backline, looking downfield first, then inboard second, then again downfield, by which time, play on has been called and panic sets in. For all but the very elite players, the first option is invariably the best. From that position he should go down the line, where the ball can forced out closer to our goal. Also, for a player of his size, his lack of goal kicking ability is a real minus. Once again, like a few others, he seems mesmerized or terrified by the posts. Compare this with Stephen Milne, who licks his lips every time the ball comes near him because he wants to put it through.
You have no idea…
He is our best clearance player, go dig out some stats if you don't believe me.
How many AA selections would he require before you could consider him 'elite'?

spert
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
plugger66 wrote:...Joey was an idiot and should have focused more on getting clearances than bumping an obviously injured player.
Agree, although he hasn't managed to get these clearances in eight years. He does run all day and can kick to position well when running into the forward area. He still gets caught in the headlights when with the ball on the backline, looking downfield first, then inboard second, then again downfield, by which time, play on has been called and panic sets in. For all but the very elite players, the first option is invariably the best. From that position he should go down the line, where the ball can forced out closer to our goal. Also, for a player of his size, his lack of goal kicking ability is a real minus. Once again, like a few others, he seems mesmerized or terrified by the posts. Compare this with Stephen Milne, who licks his lips every time the ball comes near him because he wants to put it through.
You have no idea…
He is our best clearance player, go dig out some stats if you don't believe me.
How many AA selections would he require before you could consider him 'elite'?
Nothing this season suggests he is elite and we are getting thrashed in contested possesions

SainterX
Club Player

Adam Goodes punches people in the nuts, Chris Judd eye gouges people......no penalty.

Joey shoulders a man who kept coming back on to the ground after injury and surprise surprise suspension.

Do we have any chosen ones in our team? Or are all St Kilda players guilty by association? :shock:
Last edited by SainterX on Tue 10 May 2011 6:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Going by that video I would say that there was insufficient contact to even call it a bump.

Anyone comparing that to what happened to Riewoldt in Brisbane is a moron. I could bump my seven year old harder than that, and she'd laugh.

Not to mention that he is not attempting to leave the field, he is in the middle of a ruck contest.

Just as well they don't watch the under sixteens this closely, there would be no one left to play.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Richter
SS Life Member

I've just seen it for the first time. Got to say I expected a fair bit of contact... but that? Perleaze.... You have got to be kidding.

:roll:

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Solar
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:Going by that video I would say that there was insufficient contact to even call it a bump.

Anyone comparing that to what happened to Riewoldt in Brisbane is a moron. I could bump my seven year old harder than that, and she'd laugh.

Not to mention that he is not attempting to leave the field, he is in the middle of a ruck contest.

Just as well they don't watch the under sixteens this closely, there would be no one left to play.
agree with all this. Bizarre! Just curious if it would have been reported if curnow had a stinger and not broken AC joint. Should have run through him and got his moneys worth.

Curous on how players can know how bad an injury to someone is when even the bloody doctors don't care, strap him up and send him out.

Just curious. Wat is worse, bumping a player when a throw in is about to happen or thinking it's broken as a medical staff and still strap him up and send him out there......

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
widereceiver
Club Player

I don't think Joey will look back on it as his proudest moment.

BUT

If the week stands, the next time it happens, there better be some consistency.

FAT CHANCE with the kangaroo court, lezzie, mumbo-jumbo MRP.

Fair dinkum, the AFL is as soft as butter these days.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Why bump a bloke going off for treatment?

After all the who haa on here when Riewoldt was bumped, I thought people would be happy that a rule has been brought in to protect an injured player going off.

Montagna - stupid act. We are already down in the midfield and now he puts himself out for two weeks.

Dumb dumb dumb :roll: :roll: :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
widereceiver
Club Player

one week

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: What a disgrace. Anyone who thinks what Joey did was wrong is a fool. If you're on the football field and you knock someone down, you knock them down again if you can, and again and again. If they appear hurt, but still going, you hit them again. Top level football is ruthless, if you're running through the battlefield you're fair game.
Maybe you would be right if it was 1978.
plugger66 wrote: I agree. Cant work out why GC players didnt whack Andrew Raines as he was coming off Saturday night. Also Rooy deserved it against Brisbane. It was very tough by Joey. Should be more of it.
Really? Dah!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Where was Curnow going? Was he making his way off the ground? One of his own team mates goes up to him and gives him a tap. I havent seen the full replay and would really like to as the footage shown on tv doesnt show the full story of what is going on.

If he is trying to get off the ground then joey did the wrong thing, but from the short clip they are all showing Curnow seems to be just wandering aimlessly. Again would like to see a lot more leading up and after to be sure.

Just seems like saints players are always used to set an example. Geelong screamed over the baker-sj incident and yet scarlett constantly snipes players off the ball.

I just know that the same thing will happen in a few weeks to another team and nothing will happen.

Consistency is all I ask for

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Trial by media. The announcers said it was not on so the AFL bumped heads on their way to write a charge sheet. The dumbest thing to come from the MRP since it was worth a reprimand for Sam Jacobs deliberately elbowing Gram in the head or Tambling putting down Schnider by hitting his head. The umpires have no idea how to read the game and neither do those in charge of the game. They need to have a think about what they are trying to stop, serious damage to players health or looking forceful and reactionary to adverse publicity. One week for what? The AFL is a f****** useless comedy act who makes the reactionary shadow jumpers on here look rational.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Actually thought Dawson's only crime was that he wasn't wearing a Sydney Swans jumper in a Prelim Final and the ball was somewhere on the field of play.
Long memories of corrupt decisions.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Middo
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Why bump a bloke going off for treatment?

After all the who haa on here when Riewoldt was bumped, I thought people would be happy that a rule has been brought in to protect an injured player going off.

Montagna - stupid act. We are already down in the midfield and now he puts himself out for two weeks.

Dumb dumb dumb :roll: :roll: :roll:
. Would think this was a carlton site with everyone wanting Joey hanged , Geez. It was soft and he was not walking of the ground he was feeling his shoulder at a ball up. Fkn BS ! Going off for treatment lol :roll:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

mullet wrote:Where was Curnow going? Was he making his way off the ground? One of his own team mates goes up to him and gives him a tap. I havent seen the full replay and would really like to as the footage shown on tv doesnt show the full story of what is going on.

If he is trying to get off the ground then joey did the wrong thing, but from the short clip they are all showing Curnow seems to be just wandering aimlessly. Again would like to see a lot more leading up and after to be sure.
r
If you see the full footage he is clearly walking away from the contest area and holding his shoulder on his way to the bench and Montagna does go out of his way to lay the bump.

It doesnt matter on how forceful the bump is, even the lightest bump could seriously injure a player further. Imagine if he had broken his arm or something and Joey had laid that bump...

Also imagine the out cry if we turned the tables. Say it was David Armitage who did his shoulder and Marc Murphy ran into him. Everyone on here would be calling for his head...

Moods
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Beno88 wrote:What a disgrace. Anyone who thinks what Joey did was wrong is a fool.
If you're on the football field and you knock someone down, you knock them down again if you can, and again and again. If they appear hurt, but still going, you hit them again. Top level football is ruthless, if you're running through the battlefield you're fair game.
I agree. Cant work out why GC players didnt whack Andrew Raines as he was coming off Saturday night. Also Rooy deserved it against Brisbane. It was very tough by Joey. Should be more of it.
Actually Rooey DID deserve it against Brisbane. Was foolish bravado on his behalf to keep on playing, and what he copped was EXACTLY what I would expect our players to do in similar circumstances. If you run back onto the field of play then you declare yourself fit. Was the exact reason why Kos wasn't cited I reckon at 1/4 time. Curnow had finished the quarter off so had declared himself fit. Bakes suspension last year was a joke. If Johnson was injured he should never have been playing in the first place. If you are running around competing you are 100% fit. How can you a target an injury if your opponent is playing. If an injury is that sore that a few love taps will incapacitate you, well sorry, you shouldn't be out there.

Having said that what Joey did was not in the same catagory. The player was clearly injured at the time, and trying to come off Personally I reckon Joey got a rush of blood and went to run into him, and in that last sec realised what he was doing. He tried to pull the bump but it was too late - which is why is was such a light bump. Was very silly and am glad he only got a week. I actually feel a bit sorry for Joey - it wasn't very brave, but how many non brave acts do you see every week on the field? Players constantly running into Riewoldt off the ball. Riewoldt felled behind play in the 1st game against the pies (rd 3) by Brown and all he got was a free kick.

Like I said - rush of blood by Joey.

Megsie
Club Player

A BUMP???? more like a nudge & curnow turned quickly to protect himself.

A real "bump" was what Kosi inflictd upon him!!! but that's ok 'cause
it was his "good" shoulder.........unless of course that was sore too ???

dragit
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Nothing this season suggests he is elite and we are getting thrashed in contested possesions
Nothing that Riewoldt and Goddard are doing looks elite either at the moment, however all three of them are…
The point is that suggesting he hasn't got any clearances in 8 years shows a pretty slim grasp of his game, he's been right up the top in the comp for clearances and is still in the top 20 in the comp despite the fact that he is not playing his best footy.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Interesting to hear the Scott brother on AFL insider talk about how bumping an injured player is not in the spirit of the game :shock: