Such a great thing happened tonight, massive improvement!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
SainterK wrote:I think it's hugely significant.

Keeping in mind the forward line is missing Kosi and Schnieder.
Yes because we all know KOSI is the answer!

The thing that's significant is we overlooked Jack Riewoldt and drafted Armitage instead

Which buffoon was responsible for that premiership costing decision?

Westaway must go!
ummm barks hinesite is a great thing but i do remember at the time of that draft asking the forum do they believe if Jack was available at pick 9 should we take him ... overwhelming responce from even you was that we shouldnt draft Jack because it was only his last name that people were getting worked up about and we should be focused on the best midfeilder for that first pick ... considering at the time we had a cupboard full of tall forwards yet were running low on mids ....
You must be confusing me with someone else, that is pure fiction, I never wrote anything of the sort!

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Re: Such a great thing happened tonight, massive improvement

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
SainterK wrote:Inside 50's

We had 52 of them, 52

Let that sink in, even with McEvoy/Blake in the ruck.

52 inside 50's, as opposed to multiple 30 somethings in the finals series last year.

One of our major problems last year was inside 50's and midfielders pushing forward and having shots on goal.

10 midfielders had shots on goals, we went inside 50+ times.

Roo of course had no chance to make the most of the entries, but that is a seperate issue and one that will need to be rectified.

This is so significant, especially against a good side against Geelong.
love ur positivity.
except geelong aint good anymore. ablett, chappy, selwood ling out. they are mediocre now at best. and the amount of 3 on 1's in our fwd line was just appalling. undermines the inside 50 stats. made them meaningless.
they still have 12 guys with two premiership medals in the side ... yes they were weaker then the geelong of old hence why Scott went defensive against us instead of the normal geelong run and gun approch ...

dont discount Geelong are still a very strong side ...
They weren't last night, though. They were very ordinary, and we had them on toast.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
SainterK wrote:The word that came to mind is rude, people offer a perspective and get personal and attacking replies.
Ok I apologize for any perceived rudeness, I didn't mean for you to take it personally, but surely you cannot be serious?

We play like that for the rest of the year, we won't make top four and it will be yet again another wasted year regardless of how many inside 50's we rack up!
Apology accepted.

I'm allowed to disagree though.

Match was lost at the selection table.

Roo, Blake, Milne and Gamble was never going to cut it.

Thought Gamble was supposed to be as well as two talls / two smalls, not in place of a tall.

Personally I hope the forward line structure is addressed, and not too much is changed about giving them more opportunity.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
SainterK wrote:The word that came to mind is rude, people offer a perspective and get personal and attacking replies.
Ok I apologize for any perceived rudeness, I didn't mean for you to take it personally, but surely you cannot be serious?

We play like that for the rest of the year, we won't make top four and it will be yet again another wasted year regardless of how many inside 50's we rack up!
Apology accepted.

I'm allowed to disagree though.

Match was lost at the selection table.

Roo, Blake, Milne and Gamble was never going to cut it.

Thought Gamble was supposed to be as well as two talls / two smalls, not in place of a tall.

Personally I hope the forward line structure is addressed, and not too much is changed about giving them more opportunity.
thanks

IMO we really need to play some kids and quicken the team up

Steven should be an automatic replacement for McQualter

Ledger, Cripps, Crocker, Lynch, Winmar, Stanley, etc... whoever puts their hand up play them, not all at once but give them an opportunity and see who takes it

we need to introduce some pace and new young talent quick smart and not leave it until round 20

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We had 52 of them, 52

52 inside 50's, as opposed to multiple 30 somethings in the finals series last year.

One of our major problems last year was inside 50's and midfielders pushing forward and having shots on goal.

Roo of course had no chance to make the most of the entries, but that is a seperate issue and one that will need to be rectified.

Well, signs of our new GP were there again this week

Heaps of entries, the delivery actually improved, given we had 30 scoring shots.

I say we persist at it, the football world hasn't exactly noticed that the gameplan has changed, but we are progressing.

I really feel last year we had the forward structure almost right, they were just starved of opportunity.

Hopefully this week we see the return of Kosi and Schneider, with one of Gamble/Lynch as a third option, and we see how they go with this kind of entry.

Oh, and 8 non traditional forwards made efforts to contribute to the scoreboard again. If they persist, with all of 5 forwards also having their fair share, we are well on track to be less one dimensional.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

We had 52 of them, 52

Well, signs of our new GP were there again this week

Heaps of entries, the delivery actually improved, given we had 30 scoring shots.

I say we persist at it, the football world hasn't exactly noticed that the gameplan has changed, but we are progressing.

I really feel last year we had the forward structure almost right, they were just starved of opportunity.

Hopefully this week we see the return of Kosi and Schneider, with one of Gamble/Lynch as a third option, and we see how they go with this kind of entry.

Oh, and 8 non traditional forwards made efforts to contribute to the scoreboard again. If they persist, with all of 5 forwards also having their fair share, we are well on track to be less one dimensional.
Can I indulge in a bump?

We have been witnessing transition footy, nothing surer.

Credit to them for persisting at it, and not giving up.

More inside 50's, more contributors to the scoreboard, and a willingness to play on makes for a very different style...

All this while combining a healthy defensive nature.

Can I say there is signs we may of finally got the balance right between attack and defence?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

It was a super effort today, admittedly against a soft opponent.

Quick movement of the ball and hard at every contest. Very encouraging.

Pity the season started so badly because we could really do some damage if we were to make the finals. The injuries are a worry though

linmarnic
Club Player

Sainter K, I love your passion and your posituve attitude. Yes I think we are getting closer to the right balance between attack and defence. I dont know if we can make an impact this year but I am sure we will build for next year at give it a real crack.

Never give up
dragit
Saintsational Legend

So enjoyable to watch after 2 months of agony…
New game plans take time, but at least the intensity was back…
awesome - has made my weekend!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Didnt have an entry into Roo all day... a clear one anyways..

Looks like a different plan.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bump!

So what do people think about the balance now?

I think the defence is as solid as it can be, and there has certainly been more of an attempt to play on and score more, with more a varied spread of goal kickers.

I would love to know after the half way point in the season, where St Kilda rank for goals for and against, anyone have access to that?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Bump!

I think the defence is as solid as it can be, and there has certainly been more of an attempt to play on and score more, with more a varied spread of goal kickers.

I would love to know after the half way point in the season, where St Kilda rank for goals for and against, anyone have access to that?
We came 6th.

This means we have next to no chance of winning the flag.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

We came 6th.

Really?

I thought it would be better than that, especially for defence, so we're ranked 6th for goals for and against for the last half of the season?

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Solid bump there, K!

Well picked out in the FIRST ROUND for crying out loud.

That makes you two from two with your prediction about Dempster stepping up into the core group (I actually think he has become our most important rebounding defender this year, with the absence of Gwilt and drop off in form of Gilbert)

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

We came 6th.

Really?

I thought it would be better than that, especially for defence, so we're ranked 6th for goals for and against for the last half of the season?
I dont care about meaningless stats, we came sixth on the H&A ladder meaning no double chance and no chance of winning a flag.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
degruch
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
SainterK wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

We came 6th.

Really?

I dont care about meaningless stats, we came sixth on the H&A ladder meaning no double chance and no chance of winning a flag.
That's a very simplistic way of looking at it. Are your lotto numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 by any chance?

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
PJ wrote:
But how else do you improve on an area without trying?
Seriously SK I didn't see a lot to give me any confidence that we were trying anything different. Worst performance in the season proper for some time. Poor skill. poor descision making. I'm struggling to find a positive.
I'm obviously alone in my sentiments, I get that now...
10 shots on goal from mids to me is completely different to what I'm personally used to. Kicking the ball long inside 50 is also different.

It's cool, I'll keep my musings to myself PJ :wink:
No your not I've always been a big fan of kicking long from the middle of the ground up forward.

IMO more inside 50s more opportunity to goal. You don't have to hit a player on the chest to score goals.

Many other things can happen and do. Ball comes off a pack of players and we score, defenders infringe and give away free kicks, the ball goes out of bounds for a throw in 20 meters out from goal etc.

Even when it does turn over we can tackle them for a ball up 30 Meters out or they may kick it out of our 50 and turn it over as well.

At the end of the day even when we do turn it over deep inside our 50 they have the full length of the ground to achieve without turning it over themselves. There is always a lot more pressure on the defence.

Since when did holding the play up at HF waiting for the perfect lead to hit someone on the chest after giving enough time to allow everyone to flood back and fill the holes work. It used to just come back out most of the time anyway.

The more inside 50s the more goals IMO.

Put it this way from 20 meters out of our goals we have more chance of kicking goals than they do being 130 from theirs.