Some good signs....but a same stuff

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Some good signs....but a same stuff

BigMart wrote:Slowish low scoring defensive team.....we certainly like to keep possession

A lot of player positives

Archer, gamble, lynch, ledger, armitage, crocker, walsh, r.Clarke, smith.......all showing a bit...

Dal, Joey, bj, Sam, gwilt, mini, peak were steady

So many out....hard to get a gauge on 2011.....but we might have found one or two
Were you expecting us to completely overhaul a game plan that has taken us to three grand finals??

Richter
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Here's hopping too that Raph can have an injury free year.

If both Gram and Raph can really hit their straps this year I will be dlighted.
For mine, I have put Gram and Kosi in the same basket. B/B- grade players with no likelihood of any further improvement. Their chance of being anything more than that IMO has passed.

Raph is a different story. C grade output so far in his career but with potential to A- if he gets a season or two injury free. Hopefully will come back as good as he was in the WCE game last year and then push on consistently from there.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The good signs were the youngsters, and Raph. The poor sign was that we did not dominate the ruck in either game.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I agree with Barry that the ruck is an area of concern. I know a few people rated McEvoy's games but I thought that he was disappointing in both (& I think he will be a very good ruckman in time).

Crocker's laser beam of a left foot was very exciting, as was Ledger's ability to win the ball & distribute it in heavy traffic.

I like Tom Lynch's role as a high half forward, he really came into the game as the night progressed. He's a definite talent & will just need an extended run in the ones to get the pace of the game and find his role. Too many have written him off too soon and hopefully they'll be eating their words sometime this season.

Walsh was strong & steady and used the ball better than any other Irish convert other than Stynes & Kenneally. It's pretty exciting to see where he is now after only 12 months.

Raph looked super quick & strong. If there's any justice in this AFL world (and there's not!) Raph will finally get a fair run at it & show just how talented he is. I'd still prefer to see him on a wing or HFF though.

The two big units in Johnson & Archer did more than I expected & suggest that they have a bit to work with. Smith fumbled the ball a bit too much but he has the tools to get in the 22 and be a factor.

If anything, Friday showed that we do have a few in the shed that can add to a side that has been tragically close. Add Steven and Stanley to that & times are pretty exciting.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
saintsRrising wrote: Here's hopping too that Raph can have an injury free year.

If both Gram and Raph can really hit their straps this year I will be dlighted.
For mine, I have put Gram and Kosi in the same basket. B/B- grade players with no likelihood of any further improvement. Their chance of being anything more than that IMO has passed.

Raph is a different story. C grade output so far in his career but with potential to A- if he gets a season or two injury free. Hopefully will come back as good as he was in the WCE game last year and then push on consistently from there.
I still have faith in Gram being valuable IF he can get his body right.

Last year he had too injuries and surgery mid-season...and never got going.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:The good signs were the youngsters, and Raph. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx
Fielding a side low on match experience last Friday night, the Saints young brigade of up and coming players impressed in what was the Club’s first on-field appearance for Season 2011.

The Round One NAB Cup clashes against Brisbane and Essendon saw ten players who have not played a senior game for the Saints take to the field, with many pushing a positive case for senior selection this year.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Gram was injured last year. Year before was unfairly not the norm smith medalist. FFS people get a grip.

New whipping boys for 2010 Gram, Eddy and Mini. At least I don't have to defend Raph and Zac for another year I guess.