Social club reserved seating

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

When they brought out a book that had deductions for certain purchases. That was about 8 years ago. .
Oh wow so that is the best you can remember as a new benefit in 3 decades......a book promoting companies services that at discounts for members that they could normally get anyway..

vs:

Removal of squash courts
Removal of Bistro
Removal of Bar to watch training
Removal of watching training
Removal of free seating area for SC Members
Removal of 3 levels of bars on match days (now left with two smaller areas, one of which is restricted entry and not available to all SC Members..and the other you cannot watch the game from)
Removal of Thursday Night Training Event

Yep...sounds about equal to me :roll:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

When they brought out a book that had deductions for certain purchases. That was about 8 years ago. .
Oh wow so that is the best you can remember as a new benefit in 3 decades......a book promoting companies services that at discounts for members that they could normally get anyway..

vs:

Removal of squash courts
Removal of Bistro
Removal of Bar to watch training
Removal of watching training
Removal of free seating area for SC Members
Removal of 3 levels of bars on match days (now left with two smaller areas, one of which is restricted entry and not available to all SC Members..and the other you cannot watch the game from)
Removal of Thursday Night Training Event

Yep...sounds about equal to me :roll:
I thought this discussion was about the seats but if you want to bring up that I think it just backs up what I have said all along. We lost most of those things you mentioned years ago and the SC is now completely full. Even if it is because of the GF tickets then that would still mean that the numbers would have dropped after we lost most of those things. I believe there was no drop off and that is because many people treat joining the SC as a donation.

As I said we need to make money whilst we can as the SC will probably never be full except when we are a chance for the GF. We once gave all those things to people and did have good numbers but there was also never a house full sign.

Unless you can show me figures that prove when we lose privileges that numbers drop off your argument is just all guess work. Should be easy for you to prove it isnt by just supplying numbers when most of those privileges were lost.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I thought this discussion was about the seats but if you want to bring up
Why did you mention the discount book. then?

Threads evolve :idea:

Thread is about SC being turned into just GF Ticket Resevation Queue.

If you are lost, then just re-read the thread again.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Have you got alzheimers? You asked me a question and I answered it. By the way I have never said they the club have added much previously to the SC, I just mentioned that if the numbers drop off to much that they may add things to get numbers up again. I am still waiting for your figures that showed once most of the privileges dropped off a few years ago that the SC numbers also dropped off otherwise at the moment all you are talking is complete guess work.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Have you got alzheimers? .
No.

But you obviously have little reasoning powers, and certainly no idea of market development.

If the club removes all the reasons to be a SC Member except for GF ticket allocation, then when the chance of needing that diminishes they will mainly all leave.

On the other hand if the club instead made all the new SC members find value in their SC Membership beyond GF Tickets then a large chunk of them might stay.

This is how you build, rather than just rape and pillage when you have the chance.

The club actually has a golden opportunity at present to foster and grow...

...but instead unfortunately they appear to be like you....only of a mind to grab a $$ while they can.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Have you got alzheimers? You asked me a question and I answered it. By the way I have never said they the club have added much previously to the SC, I just mentioned that if the numbers drop off to much that they may add things to get numbers up again. I am still waiting for your figures that showed once most of the privileges dropped off a few years ago that the SC numbers also dropped off otherwise at the moment all you are talking is complete guess work.
Would the fact that SC membership was only capped at 11,500 in 2009 not indicate that the numbers have increased recently? From memory it was only about 8,000 in 2006, and closer to 5,000 in 2004.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Have you got alzheimers? .
No.

But you obviously have little reasoning powers, and certainly no idea of market development.

If the club removes all the reasons to be a SC Member except for GF ticket allocation, then when the chance of needing that diminishes they will mainly all leave.

On the other hand if the club instead made all the new SC members find value in their SC Membership beyond GF Tickets then a large chunk of them might stay.

This is how you build, rather than just rape and pillage when you have the chance.

The club actually has a golden opportunity at present to foster and grow...

...but instead unfortunately they appear to be like you....only of a mind to grab a $$ while they can.
Can you please admit though at the moment you are guessing we will lose more members than we normally would when we eventually drop to the bottom 8. When the club took away many of the privileges of the SC about 10 years did we lose many members? You have been unable to come up with figures that show previous losses of privileges have had any effect.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Just another grubby money grab at the expense of the member.

just like the forcing of L2 members to be SC members a few years back.

Squeeze the lemon until the pip squeaks.

Another example of this Admins disregard for the member and the benefits that many members have paid for for years and years.

Grab that cash - f##k the member, they're all just suckers anyway.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Can you please admit though at the moment you are guessing we will lose more members than we normally would when we eventually drop to the bottom 8. When the club took away many of the privileges of the SC about 10 years did we lose many members? You have been unable to come up with figures that show previous losses of privileges have had any effect.
But this coinsidered with the most successful run the club has had since the 60's.

Once the club bottoms out in about two years the arse will drop out of membership, just like every clubs does.

The way the club is extorting money from members by taking away benefits will bite them on the arse.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

You just don't get it do you Plugga.

Footy First's Platform:

Q What will be the changes to the membership packages? To put it bluntly what’s in it for me?

A We agree that changes needs to be made with regards to acknowledging our loyal and passionate members. Without locking into exactly what it will be, Footy First will seek input from the members. It is evident when you look around other AFL clubs that St Kilda is a long way behind membership incentives.

What Westaway really meant was once he is has the members votes, and is in power, then he does not give a stuff.

Gone is about looking after "loyal and passionate members" ...and in less for more $$$$.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Can you please admit though at the moment you are guessing we will lose more members than we normally would when we eventually drop to the bottom 8. When the club took away many of the privileges of the SC about 10 years did we lose many members? You have been unable to come up with figures that show previous losses of privileges have had any effect.
You know Plugga...there is a saying about the straw that break's the camel's back.

The club's keeps stripping away benefits and they will apply that straw.

Short term thinking is bad thinking.

Footy First came to power promising amongst other things to listen to members and to enrich the membership experience.

They are breaking their promise.

The supposed member focus vanished as soon as they got into power, and they are no more member focussed than the previous Board.

Footy First had great timing...coming to power just after Lyon was coach and Misson and other secured. a lot of the current increase comes from that, as well as the AFL's general endeavours.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You know Plugga...there is a saying about the straw that break's the camel's back.

The club's keeps stripping away benefits and they will apply that straw.

Short term thinking is bad thinking.

Footy First came to power promising amongst other things to listen to members and to enrich the membership experience.

They are breaking their promise.

The supposed member focus vanished as soon as they got into power, and they are no more member focussed than the previous Board.

Footy First had great timing...coming to power just after Lyon was coach and Misson and other secured. a lot of the current increase comes from that, as well as the AFL's general endeavours.
I do believe Footy First was about footy first and on that point you cannot argue, they almost achieved their objective.

The way members and supporters are now being treated is a completely different kettle of fish. Members are being treated with total disregard. Dollars are all that matter.

steve66

Social club reserved seating

"Amongst other points is that if the club was going to make such a major change that they should have had the decency to communicate it to it's SC Members in a fit and proper way.

As already mentioned by me many SC members will not realise till they try and sit there next year. Members posting in this thread about not knowing of the change is evidence of that."

G'day all, I don't know how you highlight part of a thread to comment on it, so I have copied and placed it in inverted comma's above.

My name is Steve Hurley, and I'm the bloke that has responsibility to fill Ben Halls's shoes in Membership.

I wanted to post here in order to clarify a few misconceptions regarding the SocIal Club reserved seating change that has been made for 2011.
Contrary to what some may believe (see above), every Social Club member who had either booked a reserved seat in the area or did not already have a reserved seat was told of the reason for the change in their membership renewal mailing.
This was done to ensure that anyone who regularly sat in that area had the opportunity to purchase a seat - no one who was to be affected by the change went uninformed.
As to why the Club have made this decision, the reasons are simple. There has been demand from Social Club members to get access to these seats on a permanent basis. Secondly to ensure the Saints received the financial benefits that have previously flowed to the ticketing agency.

The financial demands of running a club in the modern AFL no longer make it possible for us to provide premium seats as part of the benefits of Social Club.
As a passionate Saint, Level 1 seat holder and 20 year Social Club member myself, I know that this is significant change. I also know that it was inevitable.

It is simply a reflection of the financial realities of running a Club in 2011.
Steve

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
I do believe Footy First was about footy first and on that point you cannot argue, they almost achieved their objective.

Well you are wrong..and I can argue....as the Q&A I posted was from their website and their platform.

As to the Saints current football success it is more due to the previous Board's parting football gifts than anything Westaway has done. His main input was to back Lyon when some started calling for his head.

But yes on the football side while not instigating it, they are backing it up, and have better resourced the football department. But Lyon and Misson are the fruit of the previous Baord and not on Westaway.

Fact remains though that they also had a platform to improve the members lot. Once in power that faded away...

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: Social club reserved seating

steve66 wrote:"Amongst other points is that if the club was going to make such a major change that they should have had the decency to communicate it to it's SC Members in a fit and proper way.

As already mentioned by me many SC members will not realise till they try and sit there next year. Members posting in this thread about not knowing of the change is evidence of that."

G'day all, I don't know how you highlight part of a thread to comment on it, so I have copied and placed it in inverted comma's above.

My name is Steve Hurley, and I'm the bloke that has responsibility to fill Ben Halls's shoes in Membership.

I wanted to post here in order to clarify a few misconceptions regarding the SocIal Club reserved seating change that has been made for 2011.
Contrary to what some may believe (see above), every Social Club member who had either booked a reserved seat in the area or did not already have a reserved seat was told of the reason for the change in their membership renewal mailing.
This was done to ensure that anyone who regularly sat in that area had the opportunity to purchase a seat - no one who was to be affected by the change went uninformed.
As to why the Club have made this decision, the reasons are simple. There has been demand from Social Club members to get access to these seats on a permanent basis. Secondly to ensure the Saints received the financial benefits that have previously flowed to the ticketing agency.

The financial demands of running a club in the modern AFL no longer make it possible for us to provide premium seats as part of the benefits of Social Club.
As a passionate Saint, Level 1 seat holder and 20 year Social Club member myself, I know that this is significant change. I also know that it was inevitable.

Steve
Steve

I am a Social Club member and have not been advised as you say above.
All I've been advised is that it will cost me $80 next year and who knows after that. Members have not been properly advised of these changes.
Most Sc members will not even read the club mailout, but just renew.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
steve66 wrote:"Amongst other points is that if the club was going to make such a major change that they should have had the decency to communicate it to it's SC Members in a fit and proper way.

Steve
Steve

All I've been advised is that it will cost me $80 next year and who knows after that. Members have not been properly advised of these changes.
Im also long term SC and got nothing on this?

Has all SC membership packs gone out?

I do agree with the $50 to Ticketek V $80 to club.....I'll pay the 80.....just wanna know nice an early is all.

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Was I? or Will be?????

Well Steve thanks for coming on.

But I note you are calling me a liar.
I have received no mailing.
I know other SC Members who are also yet to received a mailing.

Of those that have, they have not received any explanation to the change.
They just received a brochure, with many having missed the new "extra".

Maybe you could check when all of the mailings were made. And if not actually already all delivered you may wish to reconsider your "misconception" remark.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Steve
Steve

Im also long term SC and got nothing on this?

Has all SC membership packs gone out?

I do agree with the $50 to Ticketek V $80 to club.....I'll pay the 80.....just wanna know nice an early is all.
Which is why I stated:

Amongst other points is that if the club was going to make such a major change that they should have had the decency to communicate it to it's SC Members in a fit and proper way.

Which for many of us despite what Steve claims has not been done.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

I'm sorry but what has been said does not sit with me.

Four of us have been sitting in this area since we moved to the docklands and became social club members mostly to sit in this area. We hate the idea of sitting in the same spot each week, I would go crazy if I had certain people next to me every week. Thats why those of us who did not want this decided not to get a reserved seat and instead booked it weekly. We understood if we did not do it within a couple of hours of the booking time opening then we could miss out but liked this more then a reserved seat.

So for the last decade we have been doing the right thing, even when the place was empty during Blights last game in charge for instance.

I currently have moved and got my father to sort out and send in my membership. Now I'm not sure if we as a group should get our reserved seats, keep booking or not even bother.

Can we just change it to "grand final option" and leave it at that. We just spent over 1k in finals tickets and now there is more to pay.

This pisses me off no end. No communication at all, very similar to the level 2 screw up. Interested to see how many bother to turn up on level 1 when we crash in two years time :roll:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I got bugger all from the club except that I had to pay an extra $80 for a SC members seat.

Ca$h grab at the expense of the most loyal members, nothing else.

Lance or James??

Saints43
Club Player

steve66 wrote:Contrary to what some may believe (see above), every Social Club member who had either booked a reserved seat in the area or did not already have a reserved seat was told of the reason for the change in their membership renewal mailing.The financial demands of running a club in the modern AFL no longer make it possible for us to provide premium seats as part of the benefits of Social Club.
All SC members should have been informed of the change. I have a reserved seat elsewhere but may have been considering a move to the L1 SC area. No SC members should miss out on the opportunity to access this area when changes are introduced.
steve66 wrote:As a passionate Saint, Level 1 seat holder and 20 year Social Club member myself, I know that this is significant change. I also know that it was inevitable.
Steve
I agree with this. The members voted in the Footy First ticket and this has to be paid for. The club must make money when demand is high.
The club will also have to work hard to attract the less committed (more demanding?) member when the wins are a bit leaner. I would assume benefits can be re-introduced when demand is not as great to make premium memberships more attractive.

Saints43
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:I got bugger all from the club except that I had to pay an extra $80 for a SC members seat.

Ca$h grab at the expense of the most loyal members, nothing else.
I think a decent reserved seat on L1 all season costs about $200.

So getting one for $80 plus the cost of social club membership (isn't it about $100) isn't exactly a bargain either. And it'll cost more in 2012 won't it?

The SC is definitely just a GF ticket waiting list now. (And it is a disgrace that long standing SC members don't have first option on the best tickets).

And access to the Rob Harvey room at ES.

secretsaint

thanks for coming on Steve to try to clear up the questions.
I've read and reread our stuff and it's not really all that clear. I also have friends in other level 1 reserved seats and they have received different info on the brochures.
I think what should have happened was that all got a 1 page letter informing us of our options, I would have liked to get some figures so we could have weighed up our options. ie, how many social club members currently hold alternative reserved seating, how many seats will be sold in the current sc area and what happens to the rest that don't take up any reserved seating option. Also my kids want to know if the non playing team members will be still seated in that area, if not where will they be moved to? Hoping someone can answer these questions, I can't call between 9 and 5 this week but might be able to next week

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

This is crazy, short term thinking by our club.

The time is NOW to build social club up - not, when the good times are roling, simply relegate it to "Grand Final Ticket gurantee" only.

We ALL know the bandwagoners will be gone the minute Nick Riewoldt says "see ya" and retires and we spiral down. It will happen make no mistake...and with it Social Club membership...

What makes me laugh is people on here at SS are a captive audience for the club - **** LISTEN to them They want a social club with something more than just "GF tciket option". They also want to be rewarded for their hard earned loyalty over many black years - not to be told they'll be kicked to the curb, lose all Foundation Club Member rights when johnny come lately blows in.

I get we are becoming bigger (for the time being)but I see little thats translating this current success into somehting sustainable for the club - all I see is boom or bust. On field I accept that as part of the cycle.....off field surely there are strategies/things we can do with our membership base to stem this decline (sure you wont stop all bandwagoners leaving etc but if you kept 60-70% I reckon you'd be well in front of where we were before the "success years"). One way to do this is to build social club up NOW while you are the flavour of the month.....not rely purely on the lure of a GF ticket and when thats gone so has your revenue....

“Yeah….nah””
steve66

Reserved Seat Social Club area

G'day all, Steve Hurley from the Saints.

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, but after reading that there were many of Social Club members who did not receive the brochure I spoke of in my original post, I did some investigation to find out why.

It would appear that the brochure that was supposed to be sent to Social Club members who regularly booked seats in this area, or who did not already have a reserved seat anywhere in the stadium, was in fact sent to a different group of members.

I have taken steps to address this error. A letter will be sent to those Social Club members giving them full information about the change and how they can purchase a permanent seat in that area from the Club, with the benefits of those sales going directly to the club, not the ticketing agency.

The letter also outlines that if you choose to buy a seat from the Club you will not be disadvantaged by the delay - sales in this area have only just begun and there are plenty of seats still available.

These seats are available to Social Club members ONLY who have booked a seat in that area before and DO NOT already have a seat somewhere else in the Stadium. No other St Kilda member can buy into that area.

I've read the various discussions on the site around the perception that Social Club membership now offers reduced value, outside the opportunity to buy a Grand Final ticket if we compete.

It is a discussion that certainly needs to be addressed to ensure there is additional value in being a Social Club member and it is certainly something I'll turn my attention to as I get my teeth into this role in 2011.

Importantly, I'd like to apologise to all Social Club members that were affected by the mix up in the brochures.

I have no doubt many of you would have still had concerns about the change even if you were informed in the way I had planned. But I understand that without the brochure explaining the change, many may have felt let down by the lack of communication. For this I sincerely apologise.

Finally, I'm not prepared to debate the relative merits of decisions like this, on this, other any other website, but I'm more than happy to talk in person or on the phone to any St Kilda member - my number is on saints.com.au or you can just call the Club and ask for me.

I hope you'll see from this post that I want to be transparent in the reasons why we make the decisions we do at the Club and also that I think it is very important that as members, you know that the Club is fairdinkum about hearing your views.

Steve