Why are we nervous?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

linz
Club Player

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
sainterinsydney wrote:If we can't beat the Bulldogs, we wouldn't have won if we made the GF. I don't know about you, but I would much prefer to lose a prelim than a GF.
I always thought that as well but after last year losing the prelim would have been even worse than losing last years GF IMO.
Would have to agree, but it's hard to imagine.....
After our 1971, 1997, 2009 GF losses I don't know how I would cope with another GF loss this year. If we were to lose 1 game of the next 2, I would prefer to lose on Saturday night. No one remembers runners up except the distraught supporters. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Why are we nervous. Answer is simple. The prelim is the hardest game of the year to win or watch. I was more nervous during last years prelim than at any stage during last years GF. Lose a prelim and you dont even get to the big dance.
Totally agree with this. I hated last years prelim. Felt physically ill from start to finished and never enjoyed it at all, until afterwards. Worst I've ever felt at a game. I think the sense of expectation was just too much for me. We were expected to win and I had this sickening feeling right from the first bounce we were going to lose. Winning was a relief.
Having actually gotten to the GF, I was so excited to be there only having only ever been once before (as a neutral supporter in 1992 Hawthornvs WCE). I also went along hopeful rather than expectant which I had been at the prelim. I was secretly just hoping we wouldn't get thrashed. WHile the game was stressful, it was a different kinds of stress. It was only at three qtr time when I finally allowed myself to think we might actually win it, and then watched it slip away that the devastation slipped in.

Will be going along this week with that sense of expectation again. I am expecting us to win, so If we don't start well, the game will be very stressful. Lets hope we win easily and its' not as stressful as last year.

GO SAINTS!!!
I've got the same feeling as I had last year. I feel sick.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

After last years prelim, Roo's toe poke aside every second of which was awful, I went to a mate's party. I couldn't stay. I couldn't think. Couldn't communicate. I just slinked off home without telling anyone. It was a very weird feeling. Then I got home and dropped $700 on an airfare for the following weekend...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintnick12
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Why are we nervous. Answer is simple. The prelim is the hardest game of the year to win or watch. I was more nervous during last years prelim than at any stage during last years GF. Lose a prelim and you dont even get to the big dance.
Totally agree with this. I hated last years prelim. Felt physically ill from start to finished and never enjoyed it at all, until afterwards. Worst I've ever felt at a game. I think the sense of expectation was just too much for me. We were expected to win and I had this sickening feeling right from the first bounce we were going to lose. Winning was a relief.
Having actually gotten to the GF, I was so excited to be there only having only ever been once before (as a neutral supporter in 1992 Hawthornvs WCE). I also went along hopeful rather than expectant which I had been at the prelim. I was secretly just hoping we wouldn't get thrashed. WHile the game was stressful, it was a different kinds of stress. It was only at three qtr time when I finally allowed myself to think we might actually win it, and then watched it slip away that the devastation slipped in.

Will be going along this week with that sense of expectation again. I am expecting us to win, so If we don't start well, the game will be very stressful. Lets hope we win easily and its' not as stressful as last year.

GO SAINTS!!!
Yep, the sick feeling is getting stronger as the days get closer to Saturday. Starting to think about it more and more - especially when trying to go to sleep. Just want it to be over. I'm glad the game is Saturday and not Friday as don't' know how i'd go at work tomorrow if the game was tomorrow night :wink: And all the tipsters on all the footy shows are tipping us and that's just making me more nervous. It will be an epic fail if we lose. Sure we won't, surely we'll win.

At half time in the Collingwood game in round 3, with Nick down and the rumour going around the ground it was season ending, and Fisher knocked out, the mood was all doom and gloom at half time in that game. Our season looked over before it began. A couple of form slumps (one just after we lost Nick, and one just after he came back), caused us to doubt too. Who would have thought at half time in that round 3 game, with Nick down, that we would have made it as far as we have. It's an unbelieveable effort really. I really think we will win this week, and I think we are at least 50/50 against either of the other two teams in a GF. I still can't believe we are one win away from making the GF.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

mohannair wrote:
degruch wrote:
matrix wrote:nervous??

im not

50 points easy

If it's wet, I doubt any one team will score much more than that. Probably the Doggies best hope at the moment.

Looking at the odds makes me nervous. Its amazing that in a two horse race one horse is 1.22 & the only other horse is 4.55!
ridiculous odds and no one has tipped the dogs so this has danger game written all over it.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:

GO SAINTS!!!
Yep, the sick feeling is getting stronger as the days get closer to Saturday. Starting to think about it more and more - especially when trying to go to sleep. Just want it to be over. I'm glad the game is Saturday and not Friday as don't' know how i'd go at work tomorrow if the game was tomorrow night :wink: And all the tipsters on all the footy shows are tipping us and that's just making me more nervous. It will be an epic fail if we lose. Sure we won't, surely we'll win.

At half time in the Collingwood game in round 3, with Nick down and the rumour going around the ground it was season ending, and Fisher knocked out, the mood was all doom and gloom at half time in that game. Our season looked over before it began. A couple of form slumps (one just after we lost Nick, and one just after he came back), caused us to doubt too. Who would have thought at half time in that round 3 game, with Nick down, that we would have made it as far as we have. It's an unbelieveable effort really. I really think we will win this week, and I think we are at least 50/50 against either of the other two teams in a GF. I still can't believe we are one win away from making the GF.
I remember walking to the game last year thinking that while we were favourites, it was not going to be that simple. I was very nervous.

I have the same sort of feeling this year but in the back of my mind I'm thinking that there is a chance we may smack them.

I can't imagine the dogs playing off the filth/cats in the gf. It would be a debacle. that's what I keep thinking and that is what is getting me through this sickly feeling I have in my guts.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:

GO SAINTS!!!

I remember walking to the game last year thinking that while we were favourites, it was not going to be that simple. I was very nervous.

I have the same sort of feeling this year but in the back of my mind I'm thinking that there is a chance we may smack them.

I can't imagine the dogs playing off the filth/cats in the gf. It would be a debacle. that's what I keep thinking and that is what is getting me through this sickly feeling I have in my guts.
For god sake they just beat the Swans (who just beat te blues)
They have had a very up and down year.
They have not beaten any top four team since who knows when.
They are playing injured players.
GF are hard to get reach in such circumstances....
We have overcome all hurdles put in front of us.

WE WILL SMACK THEM......CARNA SAINTS......

saintly
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:
For god sake they just beat the Swans (who just beat te blues)
They have had a very up and down year.
They have not beaten any top four team since who knows when.
They are playing injured players.
GF are hard to get reach in such circumstances....
We have overcome all hurdles put in front of us.

WE WILL SMACK THEM......CARNA SAINTS......
am very nervous. if the saints players listen to all the hype. they jst have to turn up and it will be over.

When was the last time we played the bulldogs and had a big victory? 2-3 years now i would think. it will be close!

and it may even get scary! just hope the players don't listen to the hype!