Plugger Legend

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:That's just it though.

Plugger was ahead of the game physically.

Put it this way - Plugger, as we knew him, wouldn't have played a game of AFL footy.

If he changed due to the times, he may well have. But as he was, there is no way in hell he would have even come back to the second U18 training session.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Thinline wrote:That's just it though.

Plugger was ahead of the game physically.

Put it this way - Plugger, as we knew him, wouldn't have played a game of AFL footy.

If he changed due to the times, he may well have. But as he was, there is no way in hell he would have even come back to the second U18 training session.
In a pretty unprofesional system back then Plugga still became one of the greatest ever...

Given the much greater support mechanisms and professional attitude in football at all levels now I would suspect that Pluggas rare gifts would have been nurtured and he would still have been one of greatest ever.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

What sets the truly elite apart is not their football abililty...but rather their fierce competitive spirit.

Plugga had this in spades..

As does Lenny

As did Banger

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:rodgerfox, can you not understand that plugger had enormous natural ability and was very fast over 20 metres?

Don't you get that part of what everyone on here is saying?
The only exceptions were kids like that smart arrse kid from Richmond who's dad was a Tigers legend (I can't remember his name) who were 'put aside' due to their pedigree.
Ben Cousins started weight training when he was 14 because he knew he needed to to get through the system.
If Plugger actually made it, he would have walked away anyway.
This is hilarious - Lockett would not make it :shock: :lol: You HAVE to be joking.
1. He kicked a goal with EVERY SECOND KICK - look up his stats - tell me a player of his size that could do that and we would draft him tomorrow.
2. He had pedigree - his dad was offered games at several clubs but could not be bothered.
3. He did not need to "bulk up" in the gym - he could floor packs.
4. He could replace our current FF the way he played in 1999 after 16 seasons !
This is the funniest and stupidest thread of ALL TIME!
:lol:

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:rodgerfox, can you not understand that plugger had enormous natural ability and was very fast over 20 metres?

Don't you get that part of what everyone on here is saying?
The only exceptions were kids like that smart arrse kid from Richmond who's dad was a Tigers legend (I can't remember his name) who were 'put aside' due to their pedigree.
Ben Cousins started weight training when he was 14 because he knew he needed to to get through the system.
If Plugger actually made it, he would have walked away anyway.
This is hilarious - Lockett would not make it :shock: :lol: You HAVE to be joking.
1. He kicked a goal with EVERY SECOND KICK - look up his stats - tell me a player of his size that could do that and we would draft him tomorrow.
2. He had pedigree - his dad was offered games at several clubs but could not be bothered.
3. He did not need to "bulk up" in the gym - he could floor packs.
4. He could replace our current FF the way he played in 1999 after 16 seasons !
This is the funniest and stupidest thread of ALL TIME!
:lol:
Yep.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

I get what Roger is saying. Of course it's all hypothetical anyway.

Tony wasn't that interested in playing VFL. He was happy playing for Nth Ballarat. I think that he might have told them to get stuffed if had been any harder than it was.

Ask Tony Jewell how hard it was to talk him into a career.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Hehe I know - it must have been frustrating as all #@$%^ for Jewell and others.
"You could be the best Full forward of all time" ...
"yeah suuure - but I don't give a flying ..... I wanna go fishing on the weekend"
So where are all these potential Lockett's out there - we could do with one or two?

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:I get what Roger is saying. Of course it's all hypothetical anyway.

Tony wasn't that interested in playing VFL. He was happy playing for Nth Ballarat. I think that he might have told them to get stuffed if had been any harder than it was.

Ask Tony Jewell how hard it was to talk him into a career.
He did say get stuffed but then still turned up. To me that proves he really did want to play. Maybe he would not have played had things been the same as the early 80's but neither would 99% of players in the VFL. Who is to say though with the way junior footy is set up now that he would not have had a better attitude to training. If he didnt we would not have seen him in even the under 18's. My guess is he would have wanted to play under 18's because he wouldnt have had to travel and some of his mates would have played in the under 18 comp. This would mean he would have had to train properly. No Saints player would get a game from the early 80's if they trained how they trained back then. Even Trevor Barker or Greg Burns. it is a silly argument.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Also the financial arrangments for kids making it to the AFL these days make it so appealing pratically 0% would turn down the chance.

What did plugger recieve when he first came down to Moorabbin? $20 and a half empty slab of VB

Bring back the Lockett era
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Plugger interview here 18.26 minutes in.
http://austereo.castmetrix.net/podcast/ ... 312010.mp3

The Rub Saturday July 31, 2010
1. Spud crying. 2. The Saint's loss. 3. Dustin Fletcher interview. 4. Tony Lockett interview. 5. Brock McLean interview. 6. Bad breath. 7. Garry's article on backmen. 8. Spud's wobble watch and drink stealer update.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107