Unnatural highs and medicated come-downs.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

mordi wrote:.....and like a drop or two of Red.

I hear Bankstown Vintage Cellars is doing great business
Ha! Blight Mk II.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

5) How many other coaches put in this sort of effort? And if so, what sort of 'assistance' are they getting?

I find it extraordinary that any professional.... blah blah blah.....
LOL...amazing..

I find it extraordinary that you do not believe that ANY AFL head-coach is not a workaholic with all of them putting in very long hours.

It goes with the territory. Not to mention the very large pay-cheques.

I find it extraordinary that you seem to believe that GT putting in long hours as a head coach is some how unique....

How many CEO's of major corporations work 9-5 hours???

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

So GT did what millions do every day. What is the big deal. 3 pages to see what every AFL coach does. Pretty boring really especially since probably 50% of players still do the same thing.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:So GT did what millions do every day. What is the big deal. 3 pages to see what every AFL coach does. Pretty boring really especially since probably 50% of players still do the same thing.
Millions neck 'tar' and drink wine while they work?

Okay...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: How many other coaches put in this sort of effort?
What getting smashed on alcohol, popping pills and drinking a liquid fix of a half filled cup of coffee granules, I'm guessing none!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Might have been interesting if G "I'll have what he's having" T had been coach of West Coke....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:So GT did what millions do every day. What is the big deal. 3 pages to see what every AFL coach does. Pretty boring really especially since probably 50% of players still do the same thing.
Millions neck 'tar' and drink wine while they work?

Okay...
They might not during their 40 hour week but plenty would during their 80 hour week especially when some of those hours are relaxing at home watching a replay after the actual event.

Okay.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
What getting smashed on alcohol, popping pills and drinking a liquid fix of a half filled cup of coffee granules, I'm guessing none!
Drinking whilst working isn't good - and is uneccessary. That's the only issue I see - although whether that effected his editing skills I'm not sure. Poor editing of a video could well have cost us every flag from 2003-2006 I reckon.

As for caffeine and sleeping pills, please. You're kidding aren't you?

Did you know that Diet Coke has more than half the caffeine of a can of Red Bull? Some coaches put away 4 or 5 cans of Diet Coke every match.

F*ck me, no wonder Italy crashed in the World Cup! There coach and players probably have about 6 espressos a day!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
Drinking whilst working isn't good - and is uneccessary. That's the only issue I see - although whether that effected his editing skills I'm not sure. Poor editing of a video could well have cost us every flag from 2003-2006 I reckon.

As for caffeine and sleeping pills, please. You're kidding aren't you?

Did you know that Diet Coke has more than half the caffeine of a can of Red Bull? Some coaches put away 4 or 5 cans of Diet Coke every match.

F*ck me, no wonder Italy crashed in the World Cup! There coach and players probably have about 6 espressos a day!
I think it's the 'desperate' cocktail of all three that causes the eyebrows to be raised though, not about justifying each individually.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
I think it's the 'desperate' cocktail of all three that causes the eyebrows to be raised though, not about justifying each individually.
Raised eyebrows are fine, and justified.

The nonsense in this thread is just a tad beyond raised eyebrows though.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps Patrick Smith is amongst us, he shares a similar view to many of the posters above, or perhaps he has been having a read?

You have mentioned his dislike for Grant. Well, here he is giving him a fair old whack today.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 5890019214

Yet the most bizarre revelations have come from former St Kilda coach Grant Thomas, a man who seems painfully aware that he is becoming increasing irrelevant to the public conversation about AFL football. He was axed as coach by St Kilda after not quite getting the club to a grand final.

He still appears to yearn for the public spotlight. Might even crave it. He appears - rightly or wrongly - to harass his old club. As small forward Stephen Milne moved into perhaps his most influential season Thomas publicly queried his temperament in big games. He said the AFL had run a vendetta against St Kilda tagger Steven Baker and that his successor as coach, Ross Lyon, erred in allowing Luke Ball to move to Collingwood.

For some reason The Age spoke to him on the issue of drugs - in fairness Thomas is dial-a-quote on a slow news day - and he explained his lifestyle as coach where he was either wired or zonked. This could explain why the team couldn't win a premiership that looked there for the taking.

Don't doubt that much of this is true, for Thomas is a man of extremes. So it raises serious questions about both his ability and right to coach and manage a list of young men when he was operating on what he readily admits was a dangerous blend of caffeine, alcohol, sedatives and no sleep.

After Thomas was sacked at St Kilda he said he would never coach another club. He might have felt comfortable in this prediction knowing it most unlikely anyone would ask him to. But his media career has fallen apart as well. Once the centre of media attention with his promising young playing list and a briefcase of challenging theories, Thomas appears to be pining for his former life as an AFL identity. It is sad to watch.

The more he is marginalised in the media, the more outlandish are his increasingly rare contributions. Thomas coached St Kilda well. He fell short of a grand final appearance in 2004 with a six-point loss to eventual premier Port Adelaide. But his comments seem sour and resentful now that his contribution to the game has been ignored and not glorified.

The more he tries to muscle in on the spotlight, the more bizarre his words appear. This week's revelations can only mean the number of people who do not take him seriously will multiply at a pace. Thomas needs to shut up and accept his fate as yesterday's man and let his record speak for itself. Because he is doing an awful job of his own PR.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The one thing I like about Patrick is that he doesnt hold a grudge and is always even handed with his comments. I am sure this article will please all those GT haters even if they are also Patrick Smith haters.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

So Smith thinks GT coached the Saints well?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The one thing I like about Patrick is that he doesnt hold a grudge and is always even handed with his comments. I am sure this article will please all those GT haters even if they are also Patrick Smith haters.
I couldn't care less about Patrick Smith, I just get a feeling he may of been on here getting inspiration for his latest story.

Hey, that also means he may be checking in to see if we've read it.

Hi Patrick :)

35...LEGEND
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Perhaps Patrick Smith is amongst us, he shares a similar view to many of the posters above, or perhaps he has been having a read?

You have mentioned his dislike for Grant. Well, here he is giving him a fair old whack today.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 5890019214

Yet the most bizarre revelations have come from former St Kilda coach Grant Thomas, a man who seems painfully aware that he is becoming increasing irrelevant to the public conversation about AFL football. He was axed as coach by St Kilda after not quite getting the club to a grand final.

He still appears to yearn for the public spotlight. Might even crave it. He appears - rightly or wrongly - to harass his old club. As small forward Stephen Milne moved into perhaps his most influential season Thomas publicly queried his temperament in big games. He said the AFL had run a vendetta against St Kilda tagger Steven Baker and that his successor as coach, Ross Lyon, erred in allowing Luke Ball to move to Collingwood.

For some reason The Age spoke to him on the issue of drugs - in fairness Thomas is dial-a-quote on a slow news day - and he explained his lifestyle as coach where he was either wired or zonked. This could explain why the team couldn't win a premiership that looked there for the taking.

Don't doubt that much of this is true, for Thomas is a man of extremes. So it raises serious questions about both his ability and right to coach and manage a list of young men when he was operating on what he readily admits was a dangerous blend of caffeine, alcohol, sedatives and no sleep.

After Thomas was sacked at St Kilda he said he would never coach another club. He might have felt comfortable in this prediction knowing it most unlikely anyone would ask him to. But his media career has fallen apart as well. Once the centre of media attention with his promising young playing list and a briefcase of challenging theories, Thomas appears to be pining for his former life as an AFL identity. It is sad to watch.

The more he is marginalised in the media, the more outlandish are his increasingly rare contributions. Thomas coached St Kilda well. He fell short of a grand final appearance in 2004 with a six-point loss to eventual premier Port Adelaide. But his comments seem sour and resentful now that his contribution to the game has been ignored and not glorified.

The more he tries to muscle in on the spotlight, the more bizarre his words appear. This week's revelations can only mean the number of people who do not take him seriously will multiply at a pace. Thomas needs to shut up and accept his fate as yesterday's man and let his record speak for itself. Because he is doing an awful job of his own PR.
:shock: Cop that...............and that..........................and that....................and WHACK again.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:So Smith thinks GT coached the Saints well?
You've....got....to

Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative.

:lol:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:The one thing I like about Patrick is that he doesnt hold a grudge and is always even handed with his comments. I am sure this article will please all those GT haters even if they are also Patrick Smith haters.
I couldn't care less about Patrick Smith, I just get a feeling he may of been on here getting inspiration for his latest story.

Smith doesn't need inspiration.

As I said the other day about Smith - he can't put forward his side of the argument without resorting to belittling, degrading and disrespecting those on the other side.

He's like a glorified forum poster. The public are wimps, cowards and bullies - this forum is a perfect example of that.
People on here will 'hate' another poster one day, but the moment that same poster starts arguing on their side - they become instant friends.

Safety in numbers.

What gels the cowards and bullies even more, is when they're part of a lynch mob. Smith harnesses this and creates a lynch mob. The bullies and wimps all get excited and giddy to see him personally attacking someone and denigrating them publicly. It whips up a bit of a frenzy.

The exact same thing happens on here.

And I guarantee you, Smith will suddenly have some very excited new 'number 1 fans' after this latest one!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
You've....got....to

But who cares about GT the media guy? everyone in the media is irrelevant.

To take opinions seriously from media personalities is for morons and the easily led.

I'm amazed that Smith talks about his irrelevance yet dedicates an article in a national newspaper him!

The only thing that has ever been of interest in regards to GT, was his coaching whilst at the Saints. And that was about 10 years ago!!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
You've....got....to

To take opinions seriously from media personalities is for morons and the easily led.

I'm amazed that Smith talks about his irrelevance yet dedicates an article in a national newspaper him!

The only thing that has ever been of interest in regards to GT, was his coaching whilst at the Saints. And that was about 10 years ago!!
Exactly, that was the basis of the article, who cares about GT the media guy?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Smith doesn't need inspiration.

As I said the other day about Smith - he can't put forward his side of the argument without resorting to belittling, degrading and disrespecting those on the other side.

He's like a glorified forum poster. The public are wimps, cowards and bullies - this forum is a perfect example of that.
People on here will 'hate' another poster one day, but the moment that same poster starts arguing on their side - they become instant friends.

Safety in numbers.

What gels the cowards and bullies even more, is when they're part of a lynch mob. Smith harnesses this and creates a lynch mob. The bullies and wimps all get excited and giddy to see him personally attacking someone and denigrating them publicly. It whips up a bit of a frenzy.

The exact same thing happens on here.

And I guarantee you, Smith will suddenly have some very excited new 'number 1 fans' after this latest one!
Rodger you're being ridiculous. Smith is just the same as Thomas only with a more regular gig. I don't see how you can shitcan one and defend the other.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
You've....got....to

Are you serious? Are you new to this forum??

And as I said, Smith did dedicate an article in a national newspaper to him.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
You've....got....to

Are you serious? Are you new to this forum??

And as I said, Smith did dedicate an article in a national newspaper to him.
No, I'm not....you can't tell I'm only teasing?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Didn't Patrick Smith name GT as coach of the year in 2005. Claims his effort of getting the saints as far as he did with the amount of injuries we had that year was amazing.

I don't read The Australian all that often and I don't like Patrick Smith as I find him to be a self serving wanker, but I don't reckon he completely hates GT. Just one blokes opinion.

Not sure why GT would put it on public record about his nocturnal activities. Maybe he thought a whole heap of former coaches would join in with him and confirm that they had all had been binging on caffeine as well. Has done nothing for his credibility as a football commentator I reckon.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Rodger you're being ridiculous. Smith is just the same as Thomas only with a more regular gig.
So you like Smith, and don't like Thomas - even though they're the same??
Thinline wrote: I don't see how you can shitcan one and defend the other.
I'm not defending anyone.

I just feel the need to point out things like the above. Sadly, when you challenge people's hypocritical, contradictory and in some cases just moronic comments - you get accused of defending GT!