How effing proud should we be of this club and its coach?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:There is very much an unpside for us right now.
Doubt anyone here would have thought we'd be here after Roo went down.
Going to Perth twice in 4 weeks and winning both times convincingly is no mean effort.
But the biggest upside I see right now is that I don't think Geelong can get any better, even with their missing players, but we can play a lot better.
That gap between Geelong and us isn't as fathomable as some may think.
Let's hope we give Geelong something to really think about Friday week.
Why wouldnt Geelong improve if Scarlett, Rooke, Corey, Ottens and Mooney come into the side. Surely that is just wishful thinking. Imagine if a Geelong supporter said we couldnt improve with Rooy, Grammy and Zac back. You would laugh at them. They have at least as much upside if not more than us, we must just hope we are playing better at the right time.
Are Rooke and Hawkins even coming back this year though?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:There is very much an unpside for us right now.
Doubt anyone here would have thought we'd be here after Roo went down.
Going to Perth twice in 4 weeks and winning both times convincingly is no mean effort.
But the biggest upside I see right now is that I don't think Geelong can get any better, even with their missing players, but we can play a lot better.
That gap between Geelong and us isn't as fathomable as some may think.
Let's hope we give Geelong something to really think about Friday week.
Why wouldnt Geelong improve if Scarlett, Rooke, Corey, Ottens and Mooney come into the side. Surely that is just wishful thinking. Imagine if a Geelong supporter said we couldnt improve with Rooy, Grammy and Zac back. You would laugh at them. They have at least as much upside if not more than us, we must just hope we are playing better at the right time.
Are Rooke and Hawkins even coming back this year though?
Well I didnt include Hawkins because i dont think he helps the side and if Rooke doesnt come back they still have huge upside.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Do the Cats have a better lineup than us? I would have thought that it was a pretty close comparison man for man in 2009!
agree. i can't have this holding our head in our hands wailing "they're so much more talented than us". with riewoldt we are more than a match for them.

without riewoldt, well it's the perfect chance for them to show they are not a one-man side and ross ought to lay that out as a challenge to them.

markp
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
meher baba wrote:Do the Cats have a better lineup than us? I would have thought that it was a pretty close comparison man for man in 2009!
agree. i can't have this holding our head in our hands wailing "they're so much more talented than us". with riewoldt we are more than a match for them.

without riewoldt, well it's the perfect chance for them to show they are not a one-man side and ross ought to lay that out as a challenge to them.
Last night on 'one week at a time' they tried to choose players from the Saints who would get picked in Geelong's side, and could only come up with 5 or 6 (Roo, Dal, BJ, Lenny, Joey... Fisher was borderline I think) but commented that it was more a credit to the Saints (as we effectively came to within a kick in the GF) than a criticism....

While I didn't entirely agree, it was pretty interesting, and I find it far from an outrageous suggestion.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting post markp - so does that mean we have the best midfield and best forward? lol
I am proud of the team getting to 2nd spot right here and right now - FFS! I was proud of Winmar and Harvey and Barker and Lockett when they did super-human things and we won apparently unwinnable games eg: Coll in 92!
I also think we do match Geelong man for man and I would be shocked if their players and coaches did not think the same - we all know how we kicked in that GF match - and we know the luck they had. What no one seems to ever mention is that Goddard was out for about half the game with a broken shoulder and Roo was hamstrung - but how close did we get? And how did we go in round 13?
Geelong might have upside - but I am not sure they have anyone to match BJ when he is on FIRE!
I also think we have upside in our players who have lifted this year: Gilbert, Milne, McEvoy, Peake, Geary, Ray, even Schneids - and Baker is looking better than 2009 to me and Stanley - well he has HEAPS of upside. Dal is getting kicks when tagged - together all these things matter and are the reason we are 9-3 sans the Captain.
Proud? Sure - why the hell not?

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Because of the way Geelong plays Plugger 66.
They are a great team, but Mooney doesn't dominate like Roo does, just does his part.
Scarlett is very good, but plays to the team plan.
They are drilled and drilled, just like we we're when we beat Hawthorn last year with half a team.
But we haven't really hit our straps yet, we've had two good games this year, North in round 2 and this week.
We've played in patches, yet still won, and in the last 4 weeks won comfortably each time.
Geelong will play like Geelong, regardless of who is the lineup, they are just so well drilled in what they do and have full confidence in what they do.
Yet with there better team in they still got rolled by Freo, and badly rolled by Carlton.
As I said, I don't think they can play any better, but we can, especially with who we've got to comeback.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Because of the way Geelong plays Plugger 66.
They are a great team, but Mooney doesn't dominate like Roo does, just does his part.
Scarlett is very good, but plays to the team plan.
They are drilled and drilled, just like we we're when we beat Hawthorn last year with half a team.
But we haven't really hit our straps yet, we've had two good games this year, North in round 2 and this week.
We've played in patches, yet still won, and in the last 4 weeks won comfortably each time.
Geelong will play like Geelong, regardless of who is the lineup, they are just so well drilled in what they do and have full confidence in what they do.
Yet with there better team in they still got rolled by Freo, and badly rolled by Carlton.
As I said, I don't think they can play any better, but we can, especially with who we've got to comeback.
I would suggest we are more structured than Geelong so players coming in and out of our side have less effect than players coming in and out of the Geelong side. Look at the Hawthorn game last year. And look how we went in rounds 5 to 8 with our structure out of place.

How Scarlett, Ottens, Corey, Mooney and Rooke cannot improve that side is beyond me. Just as we will improve with Gram, Rooy and Zac back. 4 of those Geelong players have been AA and even allowing for their age they will improve the side.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Last night on 'one week at a time' they tried to choose players from the Saints who would get picked in Geelong's side, and could only come up with 5 or 6 (Roo, Dal, BJ, Lenny, Joey... Fisher was borderline I think) but commented that it was more a credit to the Saints (as we effectively came to within a kick in the GF) than a criticism....

While I didn't entirely agree, it was pretty interesting, and I find it far from an outrageous suggestion.
Hmmm Fisher..borderline?? Pffft they'd take him in a heartbeat I reckon

How many Pies players could get a gig at Geelong I wonder?

Ermm...Pendlebury....Harry O..mayyyybe Dane Swan..thats about it I reckon.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

my post from another thread. equally applicable here.
i take issue with the view that we are somehow less talented than geelong.

we play a different style to them with a greater emphasis on defence, but make no mistake about it, we match them for talent.

if we didn't, we wouldn't have been the stand out team last season. Let's face it, only poor forward efficiency/conversion stopped us from being premiers.

i don't want our blokes going into this one thinking they are inferior talent-wise and are going up against some sort of demi-gods.

the ONLY query i have on this team is it's ability to kick winning scores without riewoldt OR ANOTHER EFFECTIVE KEY FORWARD.

marks inside 50 is a major concern. kosi showed some signs on sunday, but he drops too many sitters and i still doubt he is really watching the ball.

so watch the damn ball, kosi.

otherwise, we are an even match with them and have them covered in some areas.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

If Geelong have so much more talent than us, and if it's an issue, the question needs to be asked 'why haven't we addressed this?'.

We've had a highly paid 'list manager' for nearly 4 years, and haven't really improved our 'talent' that much at all.

Compare this to Geelong over the past 4 years.

markp
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
markp wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

my post from another thread. equally applicable here.
i take issue with the view that we are somehow less talented than geelong.

we play a different style to them with a greater emphasis on defence, but make no mistake about it, we match them for talent.

if we didn't, we wouldn't have been the stand out team last season. Let's face it, only poor forward efficiency/conversion stopped us from being premiers.

i don't want our blokes going into this one thinking they are inferior talent-wise and are going up against some sort of demi-gods.

the ONLY query i have on this team is it's ability to kick winning scores without riewoldt OR ANOTHER EFFECTIVE KEY FORWARD.

marks inside 50 is a major concern. kosi showed some signs on sunday, but he drops too many sitters and i still doubt he is really watching the ball.

so watch the damn ball, kosi.

otherwise, we are an even match with them and have them covered in some areas.
My opinion is that they have a slightly more talented list than us (particularly by foot), but we are more than capable of being the superior team on any given day.

Legendary
Club Player

Take Podsiadly out and it's essentially the same 25-26 blokes at Geelong (assuming everyone fit) who are going to make up their best 22 in September as they did in 2007 ...

Compare our best 22 in 2007 to now.

No Schneider, Gardiner, Geary, McEvoy, Jones, Dawson, Ray, McQualter or Gwilt.

That's 4 players who are in the best side because we've traded for them, and 5 who we've developed ourselves.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think we are pretty "even" 8-)

StSteven
Club Player

SainterK wrote:I think we are pretty "even" 8-)
We will know shortly.......I am not as confident.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:If Geelong have so much more talent than us, and if it's an issue, the question needs to be asked 'why haven't we addressed this?'.

We've had a highly paid 'list manager' for nearly 4 years, and haven't really improved our 'talent' that much at all.

All 16 clubs should be level RF under that theory. What a lot of rubbish.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:If Geelong have so much more talent than us, and if it's an issue, the question needs to be asked 'why haven't we addressed this?'.

What theory??

I posed a question.

Have you been drinking or something today?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Plugger, you have to take note when RF uses lots of inverted comma's and if's, makes his posts less concrete. :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What theory??

I posed a question.

Well the question suggests that you think all clubs should be equal. I know your crap response so dont bother.

No I havent been drinking today but to put up with your crap I may start soon.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Plugger, you have to take note when RF uses lots of inverted comma's and if's, makes his posts less concrete. :wink:
Yeah, most people learn about grammar and punctuation in school.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

he said he had to work......bahahahahahahahaha :wink: :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yeah, most people learn about grammar and punctuation in school.
Nah, this is more about learning about your style of posting, and how you like to reel them in :)

markp
Saintsational Legend

Is dodgy stool a flog?

A troll?

Obsessive much?

Should we be concerned?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Is dodgy stool a flog?

A troll?

Obsessive much?

Should we be concerned?

charming...... :roll: :roll: :roll: ........not....but who would expect more from this poster......not i sir....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
markp
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
markp wrote:Is dodgy stool a flog?

A troll?

Obsessive much?

Should we be concerned?

charming...... :roll: :roll: :roll: ........not....but who would expect more from this poster......not i sir....
Says the Sir Les Patterson of the forum.... do try to keep up with the jokes, gramps.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Wow.

This forum is on fire this arvo.