Confirmed: Riewoldt is ready to go.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I would suggest he has a 1% chance of playing VFL.
I think you're being generous plugger :)

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Unforgiven wrote:Very big chance he comes back in VFL surely? Going into a game with a player who might potentially be cooked or suffer from sevre cramp or soreness at 3qt time is a big risk, no matter who it is.
I would suggest he has a 1% chance of playing VFL. He will only play once 100% fit and yes he will not be match fit but he will play deep in the square and they will probably only play him 75% of the game.
What % chance do you think that scenario will be?

saintnick12
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Unforgiven wrote:Very big chance he comes back in VFL surely? Going into a game with a player who might potentially be cooked or suffer from sevre cramp or soreness at 3qt time is a big risk, no matter who it is.
I would suggest he has a 1% chance of playing VFL. He will only play once 100% fit and yes he will not be match fit but he will play deep in the square and they will probably only play him 75% of the game.
Totally agree with you plugger66. I very much doubt he will play VFL. Totally agree with the plan you have suggested. He will not be able to play to his full 100% running capacity game where he runs players into the ground right from the first week, but you play him to the way he can hurt teams and thats taking marks deep and kicking goals and surely thats how they will play him. He will probably only will build his match fitness again within the games. Thats why its so important he come back with a run of games coming into finals. He will not be risked so will come off late in games if we are winning easily etc, which is no different to last year with his knee.

Lets also remember how he had virtually no match fitness coming into last season as he did not participate in any preseason games. He virutally had round one as his preseason match, and by round two and three was starring, even though he had been injured and hampered with his knee over summer. I may have the rose coloured glasses on, but thats the view I'm taking with this. Roo himself will expect nothing less.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Totally agree with you plugger66. I very much doubt he will play VFL. Totally agree with the plan you have suggested. He will not be able to play to his full 100% running capacity game where he runs players into the ground right from the first week, but you play him to the way he can hurt teams and thats taking marks deep and kicking goals and surely thats how they will play him. He will probably only will build his match fitness again within the games. Thats why its so important he come back with a run of games coming into finals. He will not be risked so will come off late in games if we are winning easily etc, which is no different to last year with his knee.

Lets also remember how he had virtually no match fitness coming into last season as he did not participate in any preseason games. He virutally had round one as his preseason match, and by round two and three was starring, even though he had been injured and hampered with his knee over summer. I may have the rose coloured glasses on, but thats the view I'm taking with this. Roo himself will expect nothing less.
I love your optimism saintnick - but I also agree. He's a natural athlete who has great stamina to begin with. He will have had a solid 8 weeks of running under his belt by the time he comes back. He won't be unfit - just not match fit. If he maintains his speed, he will burn off opponents like he used to as his aerobic capacity won't have diminished. Just needs to get his touch and reflexes back. I expect his kicking to be a bit wonky the first few games, but his mere presence will add 5% to the team. I too am quietly optimistic about how he will return. Plenty of ignorant ppl comparing his injury to Lloyds and others who have had their hamstrings torn off the bone. Greg Hutchison was at pains to emphasise that this didn't happen to Rooey. I reckon he will return at the perrfect time for the saints. Mid Year when motivation may just be starting to wane - will be the breath of fresh air the team will need.