Time for structure...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

I would like to see Stanley up forward sometime soon, however much ios made of his speed when discussing forward pressure.
Speed is one attribute of pressure, but not everything.
Can he tackle?
Can he coral (sic) an opponent?
Does he have the tank?

If the answer is yes to all three, then play him, if not, then don't.
He can mark the ball no doubt, but can he play defensive footy, that is the big question for mine.

Why not Dawson and Kosi forward, reckon that might stretch the Doggies a bit. Dawson can certainly place forward pressure on his opponents and does have some forward skills.

Swap Gwilt and Dawson for mine.

Gram, McEvoy and Ray in for Mini, king and raph for mine.

PJ
SS Life Member

We need Ray and Gram back or we are history this week. BJ is needed in the forward line there is no question about that. We simply don't have any goal scoring options of that calibre. Yes the mids need to play deep and take their shots for goal but we need our talent up forward.

I get the Carlton analogy but Ross is not going to play a small forward line - it won't happen, the risk is too high and we have not the players to pull it off (they're still developing in the VFL).

Who goes out if both Gram and Ray come back?

Eddy, Peake or Clarke I would suggest.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Time for structure...

Teflon wrote:I dont believe we should keep pulling players from defence to plug Roos absence and Im convinced when I see Gwitl walk down fwd its a waste of time (hes impressed back).

To meI honestly think its time to see how a Kosi/Stanley fwd line goes.

Before howling me down - I know the kids green and he may not play every week but Id give him an extended run to see if he can acclimatise.

Kosi as the deeper option, Stanley up at CHF and both to rotate. From there the other options are used only on an as needed basis. I watched young Grant up fwd for the Dogs the other night and he looked to adjust well......so why not see if Stanley can?

I actually reckon Stanley's speed could help immensly with fwd line pressure and this alone would be a huge chop out for Kosi while the ball hits the deck. Vice versa - Kosi gets another tall to work with and can assist take the heat off Stanley with his contested marking.

This preserves the "two talls" structure and Milnes/Schneiders dont have to be central targets (but obviously play huge roles).

FWIW my changes would be:

Out:

Peak
Mqualter
Eddy

In:
Ray
Gram
Stanley

2 runners and another taller defensive option who has real pace (obviously Gram/Ray need to be fit).

Id also be letting Geary/Armo know that if Jack Steven turns it on in the VFL...changes will come...as Id like to get some games into this kid.

Thoughts?
teflon. im 100% supportive of everything u just said. so stanely is raw. cant crash and bash and wont win a wrestle. but he can run. so play him a roaming chf. almost a wing. like richo at his best. he may not have the tank to do it all day. so just tell him run until hes stuffed. then we can float bj and sam across there for a few minutes a quarter. but yeah lets leave our regular structure and roll the dice and let the kid run free.
at least give it a go. cos if we just keep doing what we are doing we might not learn much and might not improve at all constantly robbing peter to pay paul and constantly being out of our usual rhythm.

and if kosi is not on his mojo(which usually takes a few weeks ) the give zac the occassional run deep at ff.

just stretch the opposition a little. dont let them feel comfortable.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:We need Ray and Gram back or we are history this week. BJ is needed in the forward line there is no question about that. We simply don't have any goal scoring options of that calibre. Yes the mids need to play deep and take their shots for goal but we need our talent up forward.

I get the Carlton analogy but Ross is not going to play a small forward line - it won't happen, the risk is too high and we have not the players to pull it off (they're still developing in the VFL).

Who goes out if both Gram and Ray come back?

Eddy, Peake or Clarke I would suggest.
I think Kosi should still be the tall in the forward line, absolutely.

I don't mind him deep in FF if we win the centre clearance, he can outmark his opponents or at the very least, bring the ball to ground.

When it doesn't suit Kosi, is if they win the clearance. He ends up standing somewhere around the centre with Brian as company, if we manage to turnover the ball and win possession, it's when he has to stream back home that it just doesn't suit him.

That's why I'd like to see him have occasional bursts in the ruck, keeps him in the game. Just stick someone else at FF as a decoy during these times, and keep the doggies defenders accountable when he then moves forward as well.

Probably doesn't make any sense, but at least I tried :wink:

Saintsfan
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
meher baba wrote:Actually, we do have one: Farren Ray. So there's a left field idea.
i think the dogs already tried that. fazza played forward pocket or half-forward flank in a short forward line quite a bit at the dogs, and never really looked much chop.
Farren wasn't much chop at the dogs either however since making the switch he seems to playing much better

The Saintsfan Cometh
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

To me we have always looked best with 2 tall fwds. Sure, we dont have another Roo - who does?? -but that doesnt mean we have to play a two tall fwd "Roo" type structure....

I mean Stanley has the unique Buddy like capacity to play tall and at the same time inject some speed into the fwd half making it difficult for defenders to run off him...different animal to Riewoldt..... (see Kosi - and watch Lake drift fwd for shots on goal Friday as he runs off him ad nauseum...). To that end he wont play anything like Roo but still offers a taller marking target to at the very least help bring the ball to ground.

I was impressed with Stanleys harassing/negating efforts in the NAP Cup.

Goddard plonked up there means we lose so much from defence/midfield and not to mention the flexibility/unpredictability to send him fwd from time to time.......hes a jet utility....

Dawson IMHO aint going to help us at ground level defensively - he lacks speed but if being murdered by hall may end up there...

Im not a fan of attempting to "do a Carlton" and go small -Im not convinced we have the quality goal scoring mid/smaller types (Milne/Scheider aside) to establish a smaller potent fwd line in a week. Im equally not convinced carltons "small brigade" will be effective against a mid sized, rangy type defensive unit such as ours (guys like Gilbert and Fisher even Clarke for me are more mobile than Hunt/Taylor/Scarlet types who thrive on bigger fwds and we are perhaps more versatile in this respect)

I know if we leave Kosi 1 out on Friday - then you will see the Dogs rebound score with ease. Its shown time and again you need to pressure theirpotent ball users/carriers off the back half and dont allow the Gilbee's/Eagletons etc time and space to set up.

I dont think Stanleys the answer - but do think he could play a role here.

“Yeah….nah””
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I mean Stanley has the unique Buddy like capacity to play tall and at the same time inject some speed into the fwd half making it difficult for defenders to run off him...
this is probably true. what we don't know is how long he can do it for. how's his tank? can he run all day or will he be buggered after the first quarter? my impression is that he just doesn't have the endurance base yet, so there's no way for them to play him in a tough running game at afl level. but i haven't seen him in the ruck at sandy, so i could be wrong.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:To me we have always looked best with 2 tall fwds. Sure, we dont have another Roo - who does?? -but that doesnt mean we have to play a two tall fwd "Roo" type structure....

I mean Stanley has the unique Buddy like capacity to play tall and at the same time inject some speed into the fwd half making it difficult for defenders to run off him...different animal to Riewoldt..... (see Kosi - and watch Lake drift fwd for shots on goal Friday as he runs off him ad nauseum...). To that end he wont play anything like Roo but still offers a taller marking target to at the very least help bring the ball to ground.

I was impressed with Stanleys harassing/negating efforts in the NAP Cup.

Goddard plonked up there means we lose so much from defence/midfield and not to mention the flexibility/unpredictability to send him fwd from time to time.......hes a jet utility....

Dawson IMHO aint going to help us at ground level defensively - he lacks speed but if being murdered by hall may end up there...

Im not a fan of attempting to "do a Carlton" and go small -Im not convinced we have the quality goal scoring mid/smaller types (Milne/Scheider aside) to establish a smaller potent fwd line in a week. Im equally not convinced carltons "small brigade" will be effective against a mid sized, rangy type defensive unit such as ours (guys like Gilbert and Fisher even Clarke for me are more mobile than Hunt/Taylor/Scarlet types who thrive on bigger fwds and we are perhaps more versatile in this respect)

I know if we leave Kosi 1 out on Friday - then you will see the Dogs rebound score with ease. Its shown time and again you need to pressure theirpotent ball users/carriers off the back half and dont allow the Gilbee's/Eagletons etc time and space to set up.

I dont think Stanleys the answer - but do think he could play a role here.
Look I do agree, especially on BJ, he has to play up the ground, plonked as a deep forward will play into the Doggies hands IMO.

Not against Stanley per se, just concerned if he can't provide anough forward pressure then we have two in Kosi and Stanley that get run off, making the slick Doggies look that much better in transition.

I also agree we can't go small, we just don't have enough "smart" footballers with goal sense, this is where Lovett is a shame.

Zac won't provide ground level harassing, but will be a tall that can do that and has some forward smarts. Putting him on Barry has the capacity to hurt his confidence as well, especially when Fisher, Blake and even Gwilt could do the job.

Non of the above are permanent answers, as you say with Stanley, but they are all options for the now which does give us plans B & C if they work, however temporary....

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Some good points here.

Tis true regards questions on Stanleys endurance but Im tipping his engine is better than Kosi......I'll back the guy!!! as Ive not seen him at VFL level to tell.

We may not also play him 100% tog to save him and help us mix things up etc and maybe at those times throw a Goddard fwd for a run.....

I guess Friday will tell but Im tipping Lyon goes for the standard and we'll see Gwilt walk fwd......but it wont be for long.

“Yeah….nah””