Who makes way for Kosi?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

You're so bloody earnest, SF. I'm giving you a ribbing. Don't take me so seriously.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:So Zac is the new whipping boy, nothing new. Well I am going to stick up for the boy. First he is a confidence player, and that is obviously down at the moment. Last week he had 4 frees paid against him, 3 were not there.

Master stroke of Ross to put him on the forward line tonight, I thought he did very well. Maybe watch the replay and you will see he had a hand in 3 goals, so credit where credit it due.

No he didn't set the world on fire, but I think there were others who had a worse game tonight.

your post proves one thing to me.......something i knew anyway..

......you know football...and your footballers..... :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Milton66 wrote:Kosi in....Peake OUT.

Raph will replace Peake.

Leave Zac at FF. He did ok up there last might.

Kosi @ CHF.
Spot on Milton. Peake was very ordinary and Raph's run was very good.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Funny thing... did Zac go fwd because he was ordinary... or did Fisher go back because he had almost no impact up fwd?

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
spert
Saintsational Legend

What has Kosi done this year to warrant an automatic selection?

SaintSimmo
Club Player

spert wrote:What has Kosi done this year to warrant an automatic selection?
we need a forward.

Sainter for life.
Saintsfan
Club Player

stinger wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:So Zac is the new whipping boy, nothing new. Well I am going to stick up for the boy. First he is a confidence player, and that is obviously down at the moment. Last week he had 4 frees paid against him, 3 were not there.

Master stroke of Ross to put him on the forward line tonight, I thought he did very well. Maybe watch the replay and you will see he had a hand in 3 goals, so credit where credit it due.

No he didn't set the world on fire, but I think there were others who had a worse game tonight.

your post proves one thing to me.......something i knew anyway..

......you know football...and your footballers..... :wink: :lol:
It does not matter if he is a 'confidence' player. If he is not playing well he should not be in the team. If he is playing well he should play. Confidence has nothing to do with it.

It is still his workplace. I know I can't use the excuse of my confidence being up or down when my performance is reviewed and neither should he.
Last edited by Saintsfan on Mon 19 Apr 2010 2:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Saintsfan Cometh
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote: It does not matter if he is a 'confidence' player. If he is not playing well he should be in the team.

that right albert...?. :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

It’s an extremely intriguing question and one that won’t really be answered until 5pm Thursday.

One certainty is that Kosi will come in.

Another certainty is that someone will be dropped to make way for Kosi, as it appeared we sustained no injuries.

The big question is who.

Several names have been bandied about: Clarke, Dawson, Gwilt, King & Peake (McQualter has also been mentioned though mainly in reference to getting Jack Steven into the team).

IMO Clarke is safe. Coach seems to have him in our best 22 (as do I) and it was a pretty solid first up effort yesterday.

IMO Gwilt is also safe. In career best form at the minute and provides great flexibility.

To my mind that leaves only Peake, King & Dawson.

There’s a case to retain Peake as I think Ross likes what he can bring to the team and will want to keep blending him into “Saints Footyâ€

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

I don't Gards is 100% and might need a rest.

Would probably go with:

Out: Peake (reluctantly but someone has to go), Gardiner.
In: McEvoy, Kosi.

Zac was serviceable and totally out of his comfort zone. The reason Freo scored over 90 points is that we had to break up our strong defence by moving Zac forward.

Bringing Kosi in will settle the forward line and Zac can go back again to his spot. He has only played 41 games. Give him a break.

Saintsfan
Club Player

stinger wrote:
Saintsfan wrote: It does not matter if he is a 'confidence' player. If he is not playing well he should be in the team.

that right albert...?. :roll: :roll: :roll:
It is correct.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Milton66
SS Life Member

Milan Faletic wrote:
Zac was serviceable and totally out of his comfort zone. The reason Freo scored over 90 points is that we had to break up our strong defence by moving Zac forward.

Bringing Kosi in will settle the forward line and Zac can go back again to his spot. He has only played 41 games. Give him a break.
????

The reason they kicked 90 was because they played well. Are you saying that by moving Zac fwd our defence slipped?

Swapping Fisher for Zac made us stronger in defence not weaker.

Saintsfan
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:

????

The reason they kicked 90 was because they played well. Are you saying that by moving Zac fwd our defence slipped?

First of all, Fremantle played well. It was not us just playing poorly that some smug supporters might believe to be the case. Fremantle played well. We turned it on Geelong style when we had to.

Second of all, who cares how many games Zac Dawson has played? The premise of him being young and inexperienced therefore he should get a 'break' from people questioning him is incorrect. We are not a developing bottom ranked team. If he can't play well like all others then he should not be in the team.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Milton66
SS Life Member

Saintsfan wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:

????

First of all, Fremantle played well. It was not us just playing poorly that some smug supporters might believe to be the case. Fremantle played well. We turned it on Geelong style when we had to.

Second of all, who cares how many games Zac Dawson has played? The premise of him being young and inexperienced therefore he should get a 'break' from people questioning him is incorrect. We are not a developing bottom ranked team. If he can't play well like all others then he should not be in the team.
The clud has invested heavily in Zac, and see him as a 10 year player.

So you have to keep playing him and building his experience levels.

A solid back six is vital to a flag.

This does not exlcude him from being dropped, but you have to look at the overall picture.

Batnoe
Club Player

Drop Goddard

He has been terrible this year

Carn Saints
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:Drop Goddard

He has been terrible this year
Yeah, missed a couple of easy ones :D

ace
Saintsational Legend

Dawson is safe.

Port Adelaide will make a number of team changes as a consequence of the drubbing by Geelong.

However in that game they had
194cm Tredrea at CHF but he plays close to goals.
198cm Westhoff changing up forward with 200cm Brogan as the effective FF
197cm Trengove and
200cm D Stewart
in their team.

Put it simply they normally play with an abundance of very tall forwards, whereas St Kilda lacks any real height in its' defence.
195 cm Dawson will be required on one Port Adelaides very talls.
Most likely their resting ruckman acting effectively as their full forward.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
jackyboy
Club Player

I have no idea whatsoever why people want Mcqualter dropped?

Steven is probably the most overrated player on this forum and Mcqualter is absolutely miles ahead of him.
Mcqualter isnt there to kick a massive bag of goals a game, he's there to pressure and tackle and use the ball well as he normally does. His efficiendy has been a little off recently but his pressure last night really took a step up for the season.

Raph was also pretty solid last night I think, he contested hard and showed some really good run.

I reckon Peake or King will be in trouble to make way for Kosi.
Peake hasn't been overly amazing in my opinion, and King really doesnt bring enough to the table as a ruckman only. I'd say Kosi will play as our lead up forward, leaving Gardiner and Blake to ruck- Blake being able to win hit outs as well as a fairly mobile player and a good kick.

Carn the saints!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

jackyboy wrote:I have no idea whatsoever why people want Mcqualter dropped?

Steven is probably the most overrated player on this forum and Mcqualter is absolutely miles ahead of him.
Mcqualter isnt there to kick a massive bag of goals a game, he's there to pressure and tackle and use the ball well as he normally does. His efficiendy has been a little off recently but his pressure last night really took a step up for the season.

Raph was also pretty solid last night I think, he contested hard and showed some really good run.

Peake hasn't been overly amazing in my opinion, and King really doesnt bring enough to the table as a ruckman only. I'd say Kosi will play as our lead up forward, leaving Gardiner and Blake to ruck- Blake being able to win hit outs as well as a fairly mobile player and a good kick.
jackyboy, whilst I agree with your comments re Mini I disagree with your assessment of Jack Steven. Mini is doing his usual reliable job however I think Jack does have an enormous future.

I think some of the calls by posters are simply out of impatience in getting Jack into the seniors. Similar things are happening re Rhys Stanley, with posters wanting this player or that player dropped so Rhys can be selected.

Unfortunately we can only name 22 each week so we're just going to have to bide our time waiting for the next group of stars to get their chance.

jackyboy
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:

jackyboy, whilst I agree with your comments re Mini I disagree with your assessment of Jack Steven. Mini is doing his usual reliable job however I think Jack does have an enormous future.

I think some of the calls by posters are simply out of impatience in getting Jack into the seniors. Similar things are happening re Rhys Stanley, with posters wanting this player or that player dropped so Rhys can be selected.

Unfortunately we can only name 22 each week so we're just going to have to bide our time waiting for the next group of stars to get their chance.

Yeah overrated was probably the wrong choice of words, perhaps overhyped. I agree, I think the issue with Stanley and Steven is that many people suggest they can come into the team and make a massive and immediate impact, when in reality they are still very raw and developing and I dont think they could produce consistent stellar games ahead of those already in the 22.

Carn the saints!
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:

????

The clud has invested heavily in Zac, and see him as a 10 year player.

So you have to keep playing him and building his experience levels.

A solid back six is vital to a flag.

This does not exlcude him from being dropped, but you have to look at the overall picture.
First of all, saintsfan and Milt, I aqree with you. Freo played well. We were without Roo and Kosi though.

Take Sandilands and Pavlich out of Freo and let them play us.

Second of all, we have the most frugal defence in the competition and Zac is a big part of that. I care how many games he has played because while we are winning and are effective in defence, we need to give him game time. Defence is not just about one forward. Our rebound is a combination of slick, short handballs and constant switching of the play to find an opening. The reason Max didn't get back in is because he struggled with the new system and took too long to handball as well as standing too far away from a defender in trouble so they had difficulty handballing it to him, particularly against Essendon. If we leave Zac out, IMHO we are doing the defence a disservice. That is my opinion.

I do partly agree with your theory Milton but IMHO Zac and Fisher are better than Zac or Fisher. No doubt Fisher was better in defence, but Zac was better up forward than Fisher and straightened us up.

Having said all that, I would not be surprised or disappointed if Zac was dropped because if that is what the coaches feel, then fair enough by me.

Chill out, saintsfan. You have your opinion and I have mine. :wink:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Zac did ok as a tall forward in the second half...so Lyon may go with two tall forwards in Kosi and Zac.

In which someone else would go...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Milton66
SS Life Member

jackyboy wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Yeah overrated was probably the wrong choice of words, perhaps overhyped. I agree, I think the issue with Stanley and Steven is that many people suggest they can come into the team and make a massive and immediate impact, when in reality they are still very raw and developing and I dont think they could produce consistent stellar games ahead of those already in the 22.
why would you play one of your best backmen in the ruck?

lefty
Club Player

I'd say Peake, didn't really do much, no matter how fast you are....

However, Zac had terrible kicking, and won't get away with that either... so what to do.... it will come down to match up's.... no point having an extra defender if there isn't a forward to suit.

I think Raph will stay in the side. (I'd say Dempster is RL love child)

McQualter has been playing alright, so he should be fine, however Steven's has been playing well from all the info around... puts pressure on the smaller forwards.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

He seems to get judged by how many goals he kicks but:

6 tackles
2 goal assists
1 goal
19 possessions

Not bad.

Zac had 2 goal assists.

So that is 5 goals out of 16 attributed to Mini and Zac (who is a full back)

We used to hear a lot about Blake too but not so much now.

Oh, and Raph had 6 one per centers.