Round 1 Team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I want to differ with all of the above. I cant see any improvement to the Fwd line or HF line with those changes. I think if Lynch does alright on Saturday night, he is in with a chance. Without him, who is going to take the HFF, Dempster (has had two recent tries there, found wanting). Goddard, a possiblity. I imagine the other HFF would be Snotty.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I want to differ with all of the above. I cant see any improvement to the Fwd line or HF line with those changes. I think if Lynch does alright on Saturday night, he is in with a chance. Without him, who is going to take the HFF, Dempster (has had two recent tries there, found wanting). Goddard, a possiblity. I imagine the other HFF would be Snotty.
We tend to only play 5 forwards anyway so that would be the 2 talls and the 3 smalls. i dont think we will play a 6th but if we do then it is likely to be Dempster or Jimmy, either who could play back if we use 7 there.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:We tend to only play 5 forwards anyway so that would be the 2 talls and the 3 smalls. i dont think we will play a 6th but if we do then it is likely to be Dempster or Jimmy, either who could play back if we use 7 there.
i'd be surprised and disappointed if we didn't try to improve a forward line that showed itself to be very reliant on riewoldt - not just in the gf - but through the entire finals series.

i don't think it needs a total overhaul; just a bit of tweaking.

stanley might be a chance; lynch might be a chance ... or we might have some plan involving goddard :wink:

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

B: S.Fisher, Dawson, Baker
HB: Gram, Blake, Gilbert
C: Montagna, Hayes, Ray
HF: Goddard, Riewoldt, McQualter
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Schneider

Foll: Gardiner, Dal Santo, Jones
Int: Armitage, McEvoy, Geary, Gwilt

Emg: King, Dempster, Peake

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:We tend to only play 5 forwards anyway so that would be the 2 talls and the 3 smalls. i dont think we will play a 6th but if we do then it is likely to be Dempster or Jimmy, either who could play back if we use 7 there.
i'd be surprised and disappointed if we didn't try to improve a forward line that showed itself to be very reliant on riewoldt - not just in the gf - but through the entire finals series.

i don't think it needs a total overhaul; just a bit of tweaking.

stanley might be a chance; lynch might be a chance ... or we might have some plan involving goddard :wink:
It's not so much the forward line that is reliant on Roo though, I would personally like to see more midfielders going for a goal themselves rather than trying to hit Roo up when perhaps the game has dictated that he is likely to have company.

That is what was so promising about the last couple of weeks, the Gram and Goddard goals will prove to be very valuable if they can keep it up in the season proper.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

B: Gwilt Dawson Baker
HB: Gilbert S.Fisher Gram
C: Montagna Hayes Ray
HF: Goddard Riewoldt Schnieder
F: McQualter Koschitzke Milne
Fol: Mcevoy Dal Santo Jones
Int: King Geary Blake Armitage
Emg: Clarke Peake Stanley Steven

then….Eddy Gaerthner miles l.fisher

Lynch didn’t impress me all that much against Freo so he isn’t in the squad
Gardiner – Injured??
Miles is a back up backman at the moment
Gwilt has earned his spot has been very impressive
Dempster will find it hard to break into this team. Cant find a spot for him would have miles and peake in before him.
A.Smith could play if lenny is still not quite ready. Heyne still a bit to go.

Sainter for life.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Lynch is no chance for Round 1. There are simply too many other players that are better than him at present. Plus he is underdone due to his shoulder operation.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
noob
Club Player

HB: Gilbert Fisher Gram
C: Dal Santo Montagna Ray
HF: McQualter Riewoldt Goddard
F: Milne Koschitzke Schnieder
Fol: McEvoy Hayes Jones
Int: King Blake Armitage Geary

Schnider will probably swap with the likes of Dal Santo and Goddard to play
in the middle. Goddard will probably play more up forward if thats what they think. Ray probably will play down back perhaps to have Gram in the middle.
Geary can be versatile playing either down back or forward so a good asset to have.. just like Gwilt. Pretty much most backman will try to push forward and set one of the forwards up with their run and the forwards(zone) to assit back with even milney being partically part of a midfield role when needed. So most players positions could change a lot during the course of the match.

PJ
SS Life Member

HB: Gilbert Fisher Gram
C: Dal Santo Montagna Ray
HF: McQualter Riewoldt Goddard
F: Milne Koschitzke Schnieder
Fol: McEvoy Hayes Jones
Int: King Blake Armitage Geary
This

Except if Gardiner comes up.

Lenny maybe an outside chance to miss - if so Peake

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:It's not so much the forward line that is reliant on Roo though, I would personally like to see more midfielders going for a goal themselves rather than trying to hit Roo up when perhaps the game has dictated that he is likely to have company.

That is what was so promising about the last couple of weeks, the Gram and Goddard goals will prove to be very valuable if they can keep it up in the season proper.
more midfield goals would help, true.

guys who are good kicks such as goddard and dal santo should be encouraged to have a ping if they are within range.

perhaps the plan will be to get them within range more often by playing them closer to goal. or by playing riewoldt closer to goals so they can go over his head if they want to.

the concern remains that under real finals pressure we'll revert to our old ways.

Sam23
SS Life Member

RD 1 team (assuming Raph, Gardiner, Lenny, Blake, Eddy all aren't right for RD1.)

HB: Gilbert Fisher Goddard Geary
C: Montagna Gram Ray
HF: Schneider Riewoldt
F: Milne Koschitzke McQualter

Foll: McEvoy Dal Santo Jones
Int: King Armitage Peake Geary

Emerg: Miles, Dempster, Stanley

Few comments:

I know, 4 HB, 2 HF. We seem to have one loose back their most of the time and i think thats the way we should structure up. With one of Goddard, Gilbert, Fisher loose depending on match ups.

Not sure with everyone's obsession with Goddard as a forward, other than 1/4 against West Coast last year he has never really been that effective up there.l His delivery from HB and through the midfield is exceptional and I think losing that delivery that he gives to Riewoldt and Koschitzke will hurt.

Midfield Rotation: Dal, Montagna, Goddard, Jones, Ray, Armitage, Schneider (looks fitter than ever), Gram, Peake, McEvoy, King. And Geary, McQualter can go in their if needed.

I think Peake was OK on Saturday night. I think Ross has recruited him to play him. Runs to the right spots, tackles well, question marks on his disposal.

Although discussion in this thread saying Peake may be better/as good as Ray is pretty surprising. Ray was fantastic last year and for someone who said that he seems to pull out a bit? That's a silly comment IMO, only criticism of Ray would be his disposal, he will put his body on the line when it is his turn.

Goddard.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sam23 wrote:RD 1 team (assuming Raph, Gardiner, Lenny, Blake, Eddy all aren't right for RD1.)

I think Lenny will be right.

after this weekend we should have an idea about Gardiner.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 11 Mar 2010 9:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

the concern remains that under real finals pressure we'll revert to our old ways.
Mini was the most accurate shot on goal for the Saints in 2009, and even he missed a sitter in the GF.

With more players having played a GF now, I think this will be good for us.
As for "old ways". Not sure what you mean by this.

But I am confident we will see well drilled forward entries, no doubt with a 2010 tweak or too.

Kosi shank from in close was not that inspring despite him actually being quite a good kick.

Just shows that players need to concentrate more.

Maybe Kosi needs to adopt a routine when kicking for goal? Worked well for Lowe and Lloyd.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 11 Mar 2010 9:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:As for "old ways". Not sure what you mean by this.
for most of last season we found and used many avenues to goal.

in the finals, under pressure, we seemed a little riewoldt-centric as we have been in the past. that's how i saw it, anyway, and that is what i mean by it.

take his goals against collingwood and the bulldogs out and we were in danger of going out in straight sets. in the gf, with roo out of sorts, no one else was able to step up and actually convert the opportunities.

don't want to go over old ground too much, but you've got to learn from history. we really could do with a goal-kicking third marking option.

goddard would have been ideal, but i take the point that he might be considered too valuable elsewhere as a playmaker.

bergsone
SS Life Member

IMO Gwilt will get a run ,to spend time on Goodes who he seems to match up on ,then again RL & co may think differently.But i reckon he will be there especially if LH doesnt play

saintbob
SS Life Member

FB: Baker Dawson Blake

HB: Goddard Fisher Gram

C: Gilbert Armitage Montagna

HF: McQualter Riewoldt Schneider

FF: Steven Koschitzke Milne

R: McEvoy Dal Santo Jones

Int: Ray, McEvoy, Geary, Lynch

Emerg: Gwilt, Smith, Peake, Stanley

Injuries:
Hayes
Gardiner
Clarke

If Hayes is available, Ray would be left out.

X-Factor: Gilbert to to the wing, quick and agile and a raking left foot. Would be a very hard match up for other teams.

PJ
SS Life Member

Would that be Ben's brother or father on the bench?

saintbob
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:Would that be Ben's brother or father on the bench?
My mistake should have been King

PJ
SS Life Member

My mistake should have been King
It's an interesting one - perhaps it's worth the gamble to give someone else a gig given that McEvoy, Stanley (if playing) and Kosi can do the job. Kingy will be solid through the season but theoretically this is still a practice match.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Baker Dawson Blake
Gilbert Gwilt Ray
Gram Dal Santo Montagna
Goddard Riewoldt Schneider
McQualter Koschitzke Milne
Gardiner Hayes Jones

Armitage McEvoy Dempster/Miles
Geary

emg: King Miles/Dempster Peake

I'd like to see Raph get a good go but later on in the year after a few games in the VFL.

What concerns me most is who is our back-up inside midfielder?

Of course no one is close to Hayes' level, but no obvious candiudates from outside the side can contest at the moment.

I'd assume that Armo/BJ/Joey/Dal/CJ/Mini/Bakes/Geary will rotate through the 2/3 blokes you need winning you the pill.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
rexy
SS Life Member

dcstkfc wrote:Baker Dawson Blake
Gilbert Gwilt Ray
Gram Dal Santo Montagna
Gardiner Hayes Jones

Geary

I'd like to see Raph get a good go but later on in the year after a few games in the VFL.

Of course no one is close to Hayes' level, but no obvious candiudates from outside the side can contest at the moment.

I'd assume that Armo/BJ/Joey/Dal/CJ/Mini/Bakes/Geary will rotate through the 2/3 blokes you need winning you the pill.
Miles b4 Dempster as he has at least had a run. Think you have the 22 for round 1 spot on. Although Im not sure about Peake as an emergency, would like to think Eddy Raph Steven would go past him pretty quickly.

Maybe this year?
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
Gilbert Gwilt Ray
Gram Dal Santo Montagna
Gardiner Hayes Jones

Geary

Miles b4 Dempster as he has at least had a run. Think you have the 22 for round 1 spot on. Although Im not sure about Peake as an emergency, would like to think Eddy Raph Steven would go past him pretty quickly.
Eddy Raph and Steven are injured.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
rexy
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:
rexy wrote:
Gilbert Gwilt Ray
Gram Dal Santo Montagna
Gardiner Hayes Jones

Geary

Eddy Raph and Steven are injured.
Thats why they could not be emergencies now, I would like to think they would go past him pretty quickly when fit though. Sorry for not being clearer.

Maybe this year?
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Think Geary will get that final spot in the 22 as his form has been good enough in the pre season.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Baker Dawson Blake
Gilbert Gwilt Ray
Gram Dal Santo Montagna
Gardiner Hayes Jones

Armitage McEvoy Geary A.Smith or Stanley (if Raph doesnt come up)

emg: King Miles Dempster Peake