Gwilt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Not kidding one bit!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Not kidding one bit!
Well it is funny.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:All I have to say to RL is -let Gwilt settle in one bloody position (not the backline) and stop trying to use him as a stop-gap all over the ground. Park him on a HFF or in the middle where his disposal, especially by foot will be invaluable, and he will be a good contributor for us..no star, but effective.
I like the idea of him being on HF. He can kick and take a grab. But in the middle ?? :shock:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i prefer gwilty hbf. his one weakness is reading the play and finding the ball. history shows guys with this issue can flourish. finding the ball/following a opponent and running in straight lines seems to happen there.

but i also dont mind him as a hammil style hff. where u say - hey gwilty dont worry about getting much of it. just hurt some defenders and use that large physique in the clinches.

i guess it may come down to gwilt v dempster v raph. possibly one spot for 3 similar types of "utility".

happy to table pros and cons of each. they all have pros and cons.

i prefer gwility of the 3 personally.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

im in for raph first but followed closer by a cats whisker by jimmy.
dempster i think is too one dimensional and doesnt have enough tricks in the bag
i see him as a back pocket and not much else sadly
(imo)

PJ
SS Life Member

Jimmy needs to back up tonight - his consistency, or lack of, is what disappoints.

He's started early in the season well before only to fade away. Hope he has a big one and stays at the level.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
stkfc1
Club Player

Thought he was good again. Not as much impact as last week but solid and

(finally) starting to use his body well to help out teammates. Is showing

composure when others around him aren't. Signs are good.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Worked his way into the game, first quarter was a little shaky...

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I am amazed that people still talk about Gwilt as the thid tall forward we've been looking for, he has been tried countless times, he has been given oppertunity after oppertunity but he just doesn't take advantage of his chances. He is not dangerous enough to be in the forward line and TBH he just takes up space in the forward line.

One thing that always surprises me is that nobody ever seems to notice one of our glaring weaknesses and that is not only a mid sized forward, but also a mid sized defender. When I say this I am often shut down by people who roll out names like Goddard, Fisher, Gram, Raph etc. but I mean a real defender, not a rebounding defender. A sort of player that can take the talls and take the smalls and really shut them down, even if they don't get too much of the ball.

IMO this is where Gwilt's value will be if he ever does finally make it. He can shut down forwards which is something that a lot of our other running defenders do, afterall he did get himself a brownlow vote whilst playing a key role on Barry Hall. His ball use is pretty good so we also shouldn't be burnt by him getting the ball in the back line either.

IMO I'd have Gwilt ahead of Raph at this point but I'm not entirely convinced that either are in our best 22.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

love Raph but feel a bit more comfortable when Gwilt's got the ball down back

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

We were also impressed with Jimmy's game last night. I'm much happier seeing him in the backline, especially when he's taking guys on with his pace and evasiveness. His penetrating kicking is also an asset back there. I really hope they leave him down there for a while and let him develop and build confidence. I'm a lot less worried when he gets the ball down there that I am when Raph gets it. I'd probably pick Gwilt before either Raph or Miles, for one of those spots.
I thought it was a big mistake a couple of years ago when they dropped him, after he'd done pretty well at full back. He'd been doing especially well at running the ball out of defence (getting up to 20 possies a game) and I thought it would have been a no-brainer to move him to a flank, once Max came back (or whoever it was that Gwilt was filling in for back there.) But for some inexplicable reason they just left him out altogether, when he was starting to blossom. If they leave him there now, we may finally see what he can do when left to just do his thing back there. It could almost be like having two Sammy Gilbert's.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

seems to play better when he has someone to run around with, his body work was very good but still struggles to read the play (not everyone is a sam fisher) an his intensity can drop.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Armoo - his name was Max Hudghton - from Peter Matera to Richo he took them all on.....

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Thought he played ok last night - but I was tearing my hair our with some of his turnovers in the first half - under no pressure either. Can't afford that once the real stuff starts in the backline.

PJ
SS Life Member

Jimmy looked very lively last night - yes you could criticise a few errors early but I'd rather he had more of a crack like that than how he's played that last year or two. Great focus and commitment at the ball, well done Jimmy.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I wonder why he has eased off on the training side of things, do we think that this significant to his improved on field peformances?

Either way, I am just happy to see him out there and would love to see him earn a regular spot in the team.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I've always had a soft spot for Gwilt but some of his kicking and/or decision making last night was disappointing to watch. I suspect the former as there was a 20-minute phase where he seemed reluctant to put ball to boot and looked for teammates to dish it off to.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
stinger
Saintsational Legend

got two fairly ordinary scalps in the nab.....goodes and pav nothing to write home to mum about..... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:got two fairly ordinary scalps in the nab.....goodes and pav nothing to write home to mum about..... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-)
Both absolute hacks. So yes, some perspective please. 8-)

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
stinger wrote:got two fairly ordinary scalps in the nab.....goodes and pav nothing to write home to mum about..... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-)
Both absolute hacks. So yes, some perspective please. 8-)
:wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

I was actually pretty impressed by him on Saturday night - yes, there were a couple of skill errors, but not any more than anyone else! I am really impressed with how he uses his body in the backline, and with the gameplan revolving around giving plenty of support to the defenders, Gwilt could really flourish back there! I would not be too disappointed if he gets the gig for round one! Will be interesting to see what happens when Jesse Smith is up and running...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

jimmy's looking okay. that stint in the forward line last year might have been good for his development.

i noticed a similar thing with gilbert last year after he spent the pre-season as a forward. here's hoping jimmy will blossom in a similar fashion.

they're both left-footers, but imo that's not a good enough reason they shouldn't play in the same defence.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt is a bit ahead of Raph as a backman for a couple of reasons - he holds his ground better and doesn't fall over as much as Raph, also he doesn't cough the ball up as much under pressure.