Rhys Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintkid
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:Isnt Stanley a QLD'er ?? If so, that aint good. Dont get too excited. Seriously.
Anyone know what his current contract situation is like? Would hate to think he is not contracted for 2011 at the least.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

iwantmeseats wrote:Isnt Stanley a QLD'er ?? If so, that aint good. Dont get too excited. Seriously.
Stanley is from "country" S.A.
Maybe we should not give him much game time this year, to hide him from the Gold Coast. Or, if his contract does expire this year, give him a nice juicy contract extension as early as this week.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintkid
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Stanley is from "country" S.A.
Maybe we should not give him much game time this year, to hide him from the Gold Coast. Or, if his contract does expire this year, give him a nice juicy contract extension as early as this week.
The club would be mad not to have him signed up soon if he isn't contracted for 2011.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Mad.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

hmmm, this is quite important. Ok, WHO can do aome digging and find out for us ? I wouldnt know where to start.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Put it this way - they are just as ready as Luke Ball and Riewold and Kosi were when they started.

Why not inject some youth and enthusiasm - mix it up !
couple of good points.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

As someone asked earlier,anyone know what his contract situation is? As the new sides will throw a bigger contract at him at years end than we will be able to afford...

or did we lengthen his contract at the end of last year? I got a vague feeling we might have,but not certain

Bring back the Lockett era
bergsone
SS Life Member

Saw not much of the game,but did see good grabs.2 questions kicking ability and on the ground below the knees,did he show much in these areas.Also Heyne boy from my area ,how did he go? and Simpkin wheres he at ? Thanks

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

bergsone wrote:Saw not much of the game,but did see good grabs.2 questions kicking ability and on the ground below the knees,did he show much in these areas.Also Heyne boy from my area ,how did he go? and Simpkin wheres he at ? Thanks
Not sure about his kicking, although he didn't have any trouble with the goal he kicked. I did see a Sandingham game last season when McEvoy and Stanley rucked and was impressed with the ability of both when the ball was on the ground.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Put it this way - they are just as ready as Luke Ball and Riewold and Kosi were when they started.

We could afford to do it then. The club's goals are a lot higher this year to what they were then.

Having said that, I can definitely see some new faces making their way into the side. It's about improving our bottom 5 or so players.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:

We could afford to do it then. The club's goals are a lot higher this year to what they were then.
agree, perfect time to introduce some exciting young talent

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Stanley is from South Australia.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

well we now have plenty of salary cap room post lovett and ball.

sign stanley and smith and heyne to 3 year deals now!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

nah.....sth aussie...recruited from west adelaide from memory....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... -omj2.html

"Stanley had a strong basketball background before he decided to concentrate on football.

The 200cm player clearly has the physical ability to succeed in the AFL and Tudor said Stanley also has the right attitude.

"He's pretty raw and he's really athletic ... he's got a lot of work to do with just footy smarts," Tudor said.

"He's outstanding at terrorising the coaches and trying to learn.

"So he's trying to do it in a hurry, which is a good sign.

"He did some nice things (against Collingwood), so we look for him to keep improving and keep the older guys on their toes."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Basketball background
Possibly need to forget about the ruck and get him to do a Kurt Tippett role.
Play him at full forward where he is too tall for opposition full backs,
and his pace on a straight line lead too fast for opposition full backs.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:I'd be playing him (Stanley) and Alistair Smith all year .

They are ready !

Put it this way - they are just as ready as Luke Ball and Riewold and Kosi were when they started.

Yep all year after one practice game. I have been a Stanley fan from the start but doubt he is ready yet and certainly not as the third tall. The third tall should actually be mid sized players. Stanley wouldnt be able to keep the ball in the forward line and with Kosi and Rooy also in there and that isnt their strength either it would wreck RL forward line structure and he is huge on structure. Alright in a NAB cup when you can rotate talls off the bench but you cant do that with only 4 on the bench.

Smith, well he looks good as well but simple cant fit into our side at the moment.

Statsman
Club Player

Stanley's agility could be handy in the ruck in years to come against the new breed of ruckmen like Ryder and Natanui. The old dinosaur ruckman have evolved into race horses. Even better if he can swing forward and play as a legit key forward as well.

It'll be interesting to see how his body develops. If he adds bulk for the ruck will that affect his speed and mobility?

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
Saints43
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:The third tall should actually be mid sized players.
Why?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... -omj2.html

"Stanley had a strong basketball background before he decided to concentrate on football.

The 200cm player clearly has the physical ability to succeed in the AFL and Tudor said Stanley also has the right attitude.

"He's pretty raw and he's really athletic ... he's got a lot of work to do with just footy smarts," Tudor said.

"He's outstanding at terrorising the coaches and trying to learn.

"So he's trying to do it in a hurry, which is a good sign.

"He did some nice things (against Collingwood), so we look for him to keep improving and keep the older guys on their toes."
Good work Stinger.

I love the look of Stanley... didnt someone say that beverage said he was the most athletic kid he'd seen....or am i thinking of someone else?

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Good work Stinger.

I love the look of Stanley... didnt someone say that beverage said he was the most athletic kid he'd seen....or am i thinking of someone else?
Need a drink? ;)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: it would wreck RL forward line structure and he is huge on structure.
he's shown a willingness to tinker with structure if he feels it can be improved.

the other thing is that while structure is very important, so is getting your best talent on to the park.

while rhys might not be considered that as of february 21, i have a feeling that he will be before too long.

perhaps kosi will ruck more often. perhaps what rhys might offer as a goal-kicking option will overweigh ross's concerns about defensive pressure. in rhys's favour as a possible third tall, he is very quick and reportedly has a good tank.

while the forward structure worked very well for most of last season, one of the lessons i took from the finals series was that we need to be less reliant on riewoldt to kick us a winning score.

it will be interesting to see what happens here.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Saints43 wrote:
Why?
Because there's only one way to skin a cat/only one road that leads to Rome, etc.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

he's from Westies (SA)
and originally from the Waikerie area in the riverland

and he's contracted till the end of this year

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
Why?
While generally true...what you do not want is a cumbersome forward line.

We already have Kosi..and so there is no room for another slow forward lacking mobility.

ie trying to play GTrain, Kosi and Roo all in the one forward line hurt us when the oppostion had he ball.

However Stanley is neither slow..nor lacking mobility.
He can chase down opposition backs and apply pressure...which say Kosi lacks..

Equally however you do not want a third tall that is one dimensional...ie is mainly a marking target. Stanley is only 19 and so might lack in other parts of his game and moreso as is relatively new to football.

However at present the Sainst do not have an established "third tall"...and have not since Hamill was two-weeked out of the game.

Charlie was good in some ways (his run, leading and ball-winning)...but could not get enough goals or hurt the opposition.
Gwilt looks good in many ways...but again does not hurt the opposition and so they leave him to double team Roo..
Dempster showsa bit..but missed some easy goal...but applies very good forward pressure.

So at present Ross may go for an extra HF-mid that can rotate thru the midfield. A smiths great form may see him givena chance if he can maintain his first NAB Cup form. Peake is also an option...plus we are alreasy trying to squeeze Armo and Steven into the 22.

Stanley is a maybe (as we do not have an established HFF)...but lets see him throughout the rest of the NAB Cup.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....