Next finals - lessons our selectors hopefully have learnt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

skeptic wrote:all i'm going to add to this thread is that Milne got his hands on the footy in the G/F more often then he has in may other finals he's played...
he had 3 shots that he missed

McQualter missed a sitter from directly in front

Schneider missed 2 that he'd normally kick as well

I'd like to see whther ppl would be complaining about the structure if these guys had actually added a further 6 goals to the score as they easily could/should have.

IMO you need to judge each player on their own merits.
Riewoldt could have kicked 130 goals from CHF this year if he kicked straight.
No one kicks straight.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

samoht wrote:No one kicks straight.
McQualter hadn't missed a shot at goal in over two months. He missed a goal I'd back him to kick at least 9 times out of 10. Schneider's usually pretty reliable in front of goals as well. Milne had a shocker of a game. I don't think the size of the forwards was an issue. I think the performance was.

I'm much more concerned with the selection and matchups down back. By putting Baker on Johnson we basically left Chapman and Byrnes to be picked up by taller players. Baker was great on Johnson, but Byrnes and Chapman killed us.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

my point is that Milne didn't quite have the stinker that everyone makes out he did

normally in finals like that, he disappears completely.

this time he got his hands on the ball and had at least 3 shots... didn't convert but did a bit better then he usually does in finals.

what works againsy Milne is his age. Is he worth persevering with or is it better now to put those games into an Armitage, Geary or Eddy? He's been a great servant of the club, and 1 of the best small forwards over the last 10yrs...

is his time up though? Maybe it is... but not coz of his performance in the big 1

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:my point is that Milne didn't quite have the stinker that everyone makes out he did

normally in finals like that, he disappears completely.

this time he got his hands on the ball and had at least 3 shots... didn't convert but did a bit better then he usually does in finals.

what works againsy Milne is his age. Is he worth persevering with or is it better now to put those games into an Armitage, Geary or Eddy? He's been a great servant of the club, and 1 of the best small forwards over the last 10yrs...

is his time up though? Maybe it is... but not coz of his performance in the big 1
I see your point mate, and being there I remember him having a bad start, he really got fired up and I thought he was just going to let loose (I don't remember the quarter), but he did a few good things and that a crap 50 metre penalty that took the sting out of his play for a bit. But yeah there were a few players that had great opportunities to score and missed, much like Geelong did the year before

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Milne and Schneider created 8 scoring opportunities in the Grand Final, but only converted 2 of them (25%).

The only reason they appeared to have bad games was that they didn't convert those opportunities, as some said before, convert 6 of them and we'd all be still celebrating right now.

To be honest converting our opportunities to goals has been a problem we need to rectify.

Montagna kicked something like 8 goals 19 behinds for the year.

Personally, I can't see any changes to the side that took the field on Grand Final day, that would have done any better than they did on that day.

If X had been fit and firing, he would have been in ahead of Dempster.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
skeptic wrote:all i'm going to add to this thread is that Milne got his hands on the footy in the G/F more often then he has in may other finals he's played...
he had 3 shots that he missed

McQualter missed a sitter from directly in front

Schneider missed 2 that he'd normally kick as well

I'd like to see whther ppl would be complaining about the structure if these guys had actually added a further 6 goals to the score as they easily could/should have.

IMO you need to judge each player on their own merits.
Riewoldt could have kicked 130 goals from CHF this year if he kicked straight.
No one kicks straight.
Is that a serious post? Don't think skeptic really meant 100% conversion and I'm sure you don't think that either, samoht, but in a 2 goal low scoring game, a couple of conversions would have made the difference. :? :wink:

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I exaggerate to clarify ... :wink:

Re: kicking straight ..

Some of the kicks and passes that Ablett and Chapman made under fierce tackling pressure were amazing.
They are built tough and unlike our smalls do well in every final.

Our smalls struggle under similar pressure and either are brought down, held up or off balanced and so spray their kicks.

bozza1980
Club Player

samoht wrote:I exaggerate to clarify ... :wink:

Re: kicking straight ..

Some of the kicks and passes that Ablett and Chapman made under fierce tackling pressure were amazing.
They are built tough and unlike our smalls do well in every final.

Our smalls struggle under similar pressure and either are brought down, held up or off balanced and so spray their kicks.
Some of the misses were complete stinkers, even if we had of converted half of the stinkers we more than likely win the game.

Maybe you are right, maybe it is the pressure of the occasion, but our kicking for goal wasn't bad against the Bullies a week earlier.

If, but, maybe, could be, didn't. Just more reasons why it hurts as much as it does.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

The point about converting missed goals into actual goals is that it distorts the true picture of the game.

Obviously a point is kicked out from the goal square and a goal is taken back to the centre.

So it is impossible to hypothisise about us winning if we had have kicked those easy misses.

Remember tghe Hawkins "goal"". it should have been a kickout but went back to the centre and Geelong scored fron a Varcoe set shot straight from the bounce.

The game was going in our favout so it can surmised that we "may"have scored more and won, but nothing is sure.

The only sure thing is that the misses meant we didn't win.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)