We Love Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:This isn't hero worship. The guy is doing a good job. That's it.
Exactly... all this talk about hero worship and Messiahs is for peanuts.

Even the most cynical would be hard pressed to give him less than an 8 out of 10 at the moment, and that is a situation we should all be very very pleased about.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:RL is a great coach but until he wins a flag he is equla to every other coach we had bar Allan Jeans. this hero worshipping is the reason we have won only one flag. He is part of a team that hopefully will win a flag next year.
Hear, Hear.
I agree witha lot of what you write Mr M.

But not today.

Quite frankly it is not "hero worship". Many of us are valuing Ross on HOW he is delivering things and the process behind it. It is not blind faith...it is not hero worship. I was an advocate of RL's from eraly on because I liked the way he was going about things and it largely resonated with how I believe we needed to go to take the club forward (and a number on here ridiculed me for my views back then).

"Hero Worship" would rather be the blind faith that wants Ball and Goose retained despite lack of recent performance.

Whereas RL has taken a hard look at both.

Ball could have stayed BUT only on the coaches terms. This was not good enough for Bal...and so he is gone.

PS RL is not equall to Jeans...but he does not rank equal with every other St Kilda Coach at all. He is on the next small tier with the other very few St Kilda Coaches that have gotten us into a GF.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Grant Thomas was the one hero worshipped and had the messiah complex.

Ross Lyon is an upfront meat and two veg type of coach who doesn't fart at thunder, talks about wellness charts, or belief clouds or carries on like the club is his own personal fiefdom.

And for the posters who reckon the reason we only have one flag is messiah worship - fair dinkum :roll:

Being crap on the field as well as dministratively may have a bit more to do with it, i would have thought :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Milton66
SS Life Member

I think having Harvey holding the team back for 20 years didn't help us either. :D

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:I think having Harvey holding the team back for 20 years didn't help us either. :D
Yeah good call.

Showed his true character by walking out on the club and going to Carlton :wink: :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Milton66
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
Milton66 wrote:I think having Harvey holding the team back for 20 years didn't help us either. :D
Yeah good call.

Showed his true character by walking out on the club and going to Carlton :wink: :wink:
As did Max. No wonder he couldn't get a game. :lol:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
asiu

I also think that the right admin has a lot to do iwth it in the sense that they give him licence to do what he believes is best.

theres value in that as well

although i would think and hope that the footy side of the admin team and ross would be constructing a plan (and continually adapting and improving )...with ross then getting on with his part , 'knowing' that the admin were 100% behind him

no white anting ... so to speak !

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:. On the Luke Ball issue he could have performed better.
How, I'd like to know what he could have done better?
A: luke ball for lovett & peake + pick 25

OR

B: luke ball for lovett & peake

When all is said and done I think A looks better than B.

Look I dont really care much about pick 25. But Id still take pick 25 right now it if was offered for nothing. LB was gone once we traded for Peake and Lovett so we may as well have taken pick 17 from the fillth.

Thats all im saying. No biggie.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 12 Nov 2009 2:13pm, edited 3 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Although if he does win a flag ill lose my rag and hero worship like noones business! If the pope doesnt give him sainthood during his lifetime ill be writing letters!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Grant Thomas was the one hero worshipped and had the messiah complex.

Ross Lyon is an upfront meat and two veg type of coach who doesn't fart at thunder, talks about wellness charts, or belief clouds or carries on like the club is his own personal fiefdom.

And for the posters who reckon the reason we only have one flag is messiah worship - fair dinkum :roll:

Being crap on the field as well as dministratively may have a bit more to do with it, i would have thought :roll:
Yes we have been crap but the way the players were worshipped in the 60's 70's 80's and 90's certainly has a lot to do with our lack of success. People would fall over them even when we lost by 10 goals. It has all changed now but for people to say it didnt have an effect on the team are really kidding themselves

And to SR, RL is on the same line of coach at the moment as any other of our coaches who havent won a flag. There is no second tier or if there is name the 1913 coach without looking it up. No one would probably have a clue because finishing second doesnt matter in the long run.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

you have to respect how well he's done to this point no doubt.

i like him. In particular i like the way he manages te list in terms of turnover, identifying what we need and getting what we need.

IMO his style is a bit similar to GT in that it's all about the preparation rather than wizz bang moves on game day (with the difference being that RL is CLEARLY MUCH BETTER AT IT). Even when play is against us, i feel that the emphasis is more on players doing what they know they need to to turn it around (with a bit of prompting from the coach).

What a lot of forumites need to be weary of is that it's easy to focus on how right things are at this very moment... it'll be a very different story if it becomes clear down the track that some of these decisions don't work out.

Sorry for the numerous references to GT but he was appluaded and loved for:
The acquisition of Brent Guerra at the end of 2004

Recruiting Cain Ackland at the end of 2005

Everybody loved Barry Brooks when we got him, and he always had a heap of supporters up until the infamous game VS Port in Tassie whenever that was

We all thought Penny was a great pick up too. Didn't wwork out though.

Furthermore, every loved the fact that we got rid of Everite after 2003? Quite possible that that move cost us the 2004 flag... (if i recall correct, the extra pick indirectly helped get Penny who was great but we could cover the backs better than the rucks IMO.

My point is, it's far too early to make a call on whether or not Ray, Schneider, Dempster, Gardiner, Peak and Lovett etc are smart pick ups...
The first 4 have all had a decent season with a strong need to back up.
King I think it's fair enough to say we got what we paid for (no criticism intended).

He's got my support for the job that he's done to date, but we'll wait and see how things turn out ahead b4 I call him a great coach

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Grant Thomas was the one hero worshipped and had the messiah complex.

Yes we have been crap but the way the players were worshipped in the 60's 70's 80's and 90's certainly has a lot to do with our lack of success. People would fall over them even when we lost by 10 goals. It has all changed now but for people to say it didnt have an effect on the team are really kidding themselves

And to SR, RL is on the same line of coach at the moment as any other of our coaches who havent won a flag. There is no second tier or if there is name the 1913 coach without looking it up. No one would probably have a clue because finishing second doesnt matter in the long run.
yeah fair enough P66. But one begets the other I suppose. When you win four woodenspoons in a row there isn't much to cheer about except for the Trevor Barkers or Joffa Cunninghams or Pluggers.

But times change and so has this club. RL is a good coach, but I dont messiah worship him, just like I never worshipped GT.

I dont want to be their buddies, I couldn't have cared less if GT was the biggest pr!ck in football. If he had won us a flag, he would have been a Saints great.

Same with Lyon.

BTW - I do think the club has changed its attitude. A few years back letting a Luke Ball go into the draft after not securing a trade would have been universally condemned by Saints supporters.

Nowdays i get the feeling that the majority agree with the decision and look forward to more success next season with the added bonuse of Lovett and possibly Peake involved.

nothing like a bit of success (if not the ultimate) to change supporters attitudes :wink:

Lance or James??