Mike Sheahan's Top 50

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beej
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:Don't be so precious. I did not say he was not a fantastic player, I just don't believe he is as good as they hype him to be and a few of his team mates are hard done by.
Hyped up by who? AFL coaches and players?
A lot of the footy scribes you believe are 'experts' also could not believe how low Rooey polled in that medal. It is a midfielders medal like the Brownlow now unfortunately and it's stocks have plummeted. Comparing Rooey and Ablett is like comparing apple and oranges, you can't compare them. However, you can compare there importance to their respective teams.
Are we comparing Ablett, Bartel and Chapman? Or Ablett and Riewoldt? If someone believes Riewoldt is better than Ablett, I say fair enough! I understand where they're coming from. If I were building a team from scratch, I'd pick Riewoldt before Ablett because champion CHFs are extremely rare.
Do you really believe that after Chapman's year this year and last year that he would not be picked ahead of Ablett? They really suffered when he was out of the team. Not so when Ablett wasn't there. Think you might be amazed who would or would not be picked before Ablett.
Well, as you pointed out, the Geelong coaching team themselves didn't believe Chapman or Bartel were more important to the side judging by their BNF result.
Also, just out of curiosity, where did Enright end up on this list of Mick's? Geelong's own coaching team did not see Ablett as their outright favourite. It is all based on opinion. Makes it interesting and gives us all something to argue about.... :twisted:
It's all based on opinion. The question is, whose opinion do you value more?

Sheahan's? The Geelong coaching staff's? AFL footballers? Or AFL coaches?

They all have Ablett in front of Bartel and Chapman and I reckon that has been the case for the last three years. Surely they can't all be wrong, can they?

Chapman and Bartel are both fantastic players but Ablett is from another planet in terms of ability. People talk about the cheap possessions he gathers out the back, but nobody acknowledges the fact that his teammates, whether by instruction or not, want the footy in his hands at every opportunity such is his ability and they'll feed it to him no matter where he is on the ground.

Given the choice of using it themselves or giving it to Ablett, every single player in that Geelong side would opt to give it to Ablett whenever he's in a bit of space.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if we would have had others in the Top 50 if we won Round 26's game.

My main comment is that I suspect Clint Jones will go very close to winning the B&F and that is why he made the Top 50. Mikey boy is covering his backside.

In my opinion he and Sammy Gilbert should have been in. Interesting to how Kosi placed in the Brownlow rankings because I reckon he would have been close too.

It is really just someone's individual opinion, and does make for good debate.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Agree completely with OLB. He makes perfecet sense on this topic imo.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

Kosi is NOT a top 50 player, end of story. Still has quite a way to go IMO.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Only two players on over $1,000,000.
Judd and Brown
Both play for teams with no-one else in the top 20.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

ace wrote:Only two players on over $1,000,000.
Judd and Brown
Judd plays with Fev who is #10 from memory, possibly #9

ace
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote: Given the choice of using it themselves or giving it to Ablett, every single player in that Geelong side would opt to give it to Ablett
Good to see the Geelong players are not users, pity we can't say the same about the Ablett family.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saints11
Club Player

#1GILL wrote:
ace wrote:Only two players on over $1,000,000.
Judd and Brown
Judd plays with Fev who is #10 from memory, possibly #9
Yeah Fevola was 10

saintly
Saintsational Legend

isn't it fantastic that Clint Jones made sheehan's top 50!

its surprising and great for the guy!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ridiculous list........ridiculous footy commentator, nows FA....

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

OLB wrote:
saint75 wrote:Don't be so precious. I did not say he was not a fantastic player, I just don't believe he is as good as they hype him to be and a few of his team mates are hard done by.
Hyped up by who? AFL coaches and players?
A lot of the footy scribes you believe are 'experts' also could not believe how low Rooey polled in that medal. It is a midfielders medal like the Brownlow now unfortunately and it's stocks have plummeted. Comparing Rooey and Ablett is like comparing apple and oranges, you can't compare them. However, you can compare there importance to their respective teams.
Are we comparing Ablett, Bartel and Chapman? Or Ablett and Riewoldt? If someone believes Riewoldt is better than Ablett, I say fair enough! I understand where they're coming from. If I were building a team from scratch, I'd pick Riewoldt before Ablett because champion CHFs are extremely rare.
Do you really believe that after Chapman's year this year and last year that he would not be picked ahead of Ablett? They really suffered when he was out of the team. Not so when Ablett wasn't there. Think you might be amazed who would or would not be picked before Ablett.
Well, as you pointed out, the Geelong coaching team themselves didn't believe Chapman or Bartel were more important to the side judging by their BNF result.
Also, just out of curiosity, where did Enright end up on this list of Mick's? Geelong's own coaching team did not see Ablett as their outright favourite. It is all based on opinion. Makes it interesting and gives us all something to argue about.... :twisted:
It's all based on opinion. The question is, whose opinion do you value more?

Sheahan's? The Geelong coaching staff's? AFL footballers? Or AFL coaches?

They all have Ablett in front of Bartel and Chapman and I reckon that has been the case for the last three years. Surely they can't all be wrong, can they?

Chapman and Bartel are both fantastic players but Ablett is from another planet in terms of ability. People talk about the cheap possessions he gathers out the back, but nobody acknowledges the fact that his teammates, whether by instruction or not, want the footy in his hands at every opportunity such is his ability and they'll feed it to him no matter where he is on the ground.

Given the choice of using it themselves or giving it to Ablett, every single player in that Geelong side would opt to give it to Ablett whenever he's in a bit of space.
In answer to all of your points above, no, I don't have a lot of faith in industry insiders and experts because they seem to have tunnel vision where players are concerned. Unless you are a midfielder, you do not count in the AFL for a vast majority of the time. Others will get a special mention, but nowhere near the accolades that the midfielders receive.

Once again, I will reiterate that I think that Gary Ablett is a great player, but he is not as magnificent as what he is hyped up to be in my opinion. Felt the same way about Chris Judd when we had him rammed down our throats.

Your opinion and mine differs obviously, doesn't make either of us right or wrong. Just means that we both have a difference of opinion. I am sure it won't be the last time I don't agree with someone on this forum. :twisted:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

The moment Sheahan declared Collingwood the premiership favourite was the moment he also declared to everyone he has no knowledge of football and hence no credibility.