Semi Finals BulldogsVBrisbane sides. Winner Plays the SAINTS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Bardon Saint wrote:
Bowey Boy wrote:That was like looking at the VFA with a crowd to match - what rubbish !!
47000, 4000 more than bulldogs vs swans in final last year at the G according to channel 7 commentator. I gues you get that when dogs have a smallish fan base vs an interstate team.
Yet they were spruiking there were 27-28k tickets left.

How much does the G hold? 98k?

Minus 28k = 70k.

Yet the crowd was 47k...

So 23,000 people decided to just not turn up???

WTF?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

As good as the Doggies look at the stoppages, keep in mind this is the same Brisbane unit we beat 50-20 at the stoppages. They're not good in that area. As much hype as Mitch Clark has got, they'll be hoping Leuenberger is healthy next year to provide a genuine ruck option. Hudson and Minson won't be having their way with Gardiner and King, that's for sure.

I also can't see Max coming in against the Dogs. With Welsh playing up the ground, there just doesn't appear to be a match. Ross said similar things at half time and I don't think he was holding anything back. I reckon if Max plays again it'll be against Hawkins or Mooney.

I'm pretty confident right now, but I think I've said that four times in the last six years at this stage.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Bardon Saint wrote:Who would Jones tag?
Boyd? He was their best mid tonight.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:Not good that they are having an easy, confidence building last qtr!
I wouldn't call it a confidence booster. I reckon they've been ordinary and they'd know it.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:
Bardon Saint wrote:
Bowey Boy wrote:That was like looking at the VFA with a crowd to match - what rubbish !!
47000, 4000 more than bulldogs vs swans in final last year at the G according to channel 7 commentator. I gues you get that when dogs have a smallish fan base vs an interstate team.
Yet they were spruiking there were 27-28k tickets left.

How much does the G hold? 98k?

Minus 28k = 70k.

Yet the crowd was 47k...

So 23,000 people decided to just not turn up???

WTF?
\
Maybe a bit of BS to create a little urgency to get a late flurry of fence sitters to turn up??

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
Or Higgins for me, he's got a spark that could light up a final ( I see a lot of early Cousins in his play). Covers a lot of ground and always seems to be unchecked.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Jones usually prepares for three players. I'd guess they'd be Cooney, Griffen and Higgins - probably in that order.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:
Yeah probably. They don't have a gun Saints/Cats/Pies midfield so I guess there are limited options for the hard tag. Like many people I look at Cooney and wonder how he got a Brownlow. I look at Hayes, Dal and God and think WTF??? Coney a Brownlow? Am I being harsh? He is good but doesn't appear to be game breakingly outstanding. Anyway, go the saints, belt those dogs!!

Bardon Saint
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
Jones usually prepares for three players. I'd guess they'd be Cooney, Griffen and Higgins - probably in that order.
Higgins is a gun, great player. Maybe Baker when Higgens is up fwd?

Sainterman
Club Player

Notice that Griffin is iced up on the bench...does not look happy.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

Sainterman wrote:Notice that Griffin is iced up on the bench...does not look happy.
Was limping quite a bit. Tried to get back on but couldn't. Big chats with the physio whilst on the bench... All those good signs..

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Cooney, guaranteed. He's the best and most potentially damaging. I don't see any point tagging Boyd as he's not that dangerous regardless of how much he gets, and the rest are too inconsistent to worry about.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

well the bulldogs showed that they are a good side, but we already knew that.

the extremely windy conditions played into their hands, however we should ... and I'm sure we will ... pay them full respect, without being intimidated in any way.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 12 Sep 2009 12:01am, edited 1 time in total.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Exactly right.

Last time we played the bulldogs (round 17) Jones tagged Cooney

Jones scored 70 super coach points to Cooney's 45

Jones 24 disposals to Cooney's 23 (15 handballs)

In that match Higgins was injured in the 2nd quarter and Murphy injured in the 3rd quarter

Boyd was their best player with 39 disposals 6 tackles, 6 marks and 1 goal

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Bardon Saint
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:well the bulldogs showed that they are a good side, but we already knew that.

the extremely windy conditions played into their hands, however we should ... and I'm sure we will ... pay them full respect.
Of course.. Gee I'm already pumped and on edge.. One week out. Go Saints!

Cro
Club Player

Cross is their best at getting in and shovelling it out to the heap of running mids they have.. stop him and the other guys have to get dirty.. plenty of options to tag here I suppose.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

St Fidelius wrote:Last time we played the bulldogs (round 17) Jones tagged Cooney
That's what I thought, but I couldn't trust my memory 100%. IIRC, Jones tagged Griffen in the first game with Cooney struggling with injury and form.

StSteven
Club Player

From tonight's game I think they have run their race. I believe we are all but through to the GF.

widereceiver
Club Player

I went to the G tonight to spy on our opponent...

I can't see how the Dogs are going to beat us based on tonight's performance. Conditions were clearly swirly but the only time they looked cohesive was when the Lions defence fell away. Our defence doesn't do that. They have some dangerous midfielders but I think ours should have more supply as Hudson is OK and Minson just going.

Their defenders, mainly Lake and Morris zoned off Brown and Bradshaw. That was weird and can't imagine they'll do that against our guys. The delivery to B & B was pretty ordinary and the number of inside 50s for Lions was low so the potential of being hurt by the talls was curtailed. I don't know they'll stop our supply.

Murphy and Johnson look below their best and they are using Welsh as a stop-gap in defence.

I was sitting next to a Bullies supporter who said he thought we'd win by 100 pts.. I said another 40 point win would satisfy me.

WE WILL WIN AND GO TO THE GRANNY.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It seems like yesterday that I was sitting watch us play the dogs at Visy Park in the preseason comp. How far we have come....

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I too was there...as were plenty of other Sainters ..reckon a saw at least dozen over the course of the evening.

Doggies played well in patches but Brisbane were at times lamentable..played like the side that was outplayed by Carlton for 3 and a bit quarters last week. Even allowing for the wind some of their foot skills were awful

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Cro wrote:Cross is their best at getting in and shovelling it out to the heap of running mids they have.. stop him and the other guys have to get dirty.. plenty of options to tag here I suppose.
Yes but Cross can't kick to save his life. Notice his amount of handballs to kicks. The I wouldn't mind him getting 20-30 touches, it's not that damaging.

The key is not letting the ball get into the hands of Cooney, Griff or Higgins, these guys use the ball super effectively to advantage.

Jones will go to Cooney, brownlow medallist and their best mid. They will happily go head to head with Cross, and someone will have to keep an eye on bound, possibly trying to exploit him the other way.

Carpe Diem
stkfc1
Club Player

Unforgiven wrote:
Cro wrote:Cross is their best at getting in and shovelling it out to the heap of running mids they have.. stop him and the other guys have to get dirty.. plenty of options to tag here I suppose.
Yes but Cross can't kick to save his life. Notice his amount of handballs to kicks. The I wouldn't mind him getting 20-30 touches, it's not that damaging.

The key is not letting the ball get into the hands of Cooney, Griff or Higgins, these guys use the ball super effectively to advantage.

Jones will go to Cooney, brownlow medallist and their best mid. They will happily go head to head with Cross, and someone will have to keep an eye on bound, possibly trying to exploit him the other way.
As far as I can see it's them that need to worry about the match ups, not us!

WE are the form team of the year.WE are the only team to beat everyone else.WE have the weeks rest.THEY did nothing tonight but beat a team making up the numbers.Except for last quarter they were not at all convincing but by then BL had stopped.THEY have alot of players that are struggling.THEY should be AFRAID......very afraid..... :twisted: