Another GT "Gem"... I agree 100%!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

And as usual I watched it with both eyes wide open.
Oh really, as per usual I'm sure your view was somewhat obscured!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
rodgerfox wrote: Although very, very disappointed that night, I was incredibly proud of how well we did that season, and that night, with the hand we were dealt.
You mean the hand we dealt ourselves with poor list and "training services" management?

The fact that that regime destroyed any chance we had by not getting the team fit enough to run a game out?

The fact that our injury list was appalling with numerous and repeated soft tissue injuries?

Yeah it was a poor hand dealt (by the dealer to himself). Good thing we got rid of the duds running the team and the admin.

Spot on again, joffaboy.

What we learned from that loss was to get better fitness and coaching staff and we now have the most frugal defence, one of the best attacks, a tough nuggety tacking midfield and probably the most injury free list in the competition. We successfully poached the best coaching staff in the business. 2009-Saints 1st Swans not in 8.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:A pretty harsh view really.
Why harsh? We had a turnstile on the "training services" office door during the GT/Butters regime. No continuity, no money to improve the situation and no stats on player fitness at all (as documented by Dave Misson when he got there - he was amazed and appalled).

Lyon recognised very early that the team needed "meat and potatoes" (his term) in their fitness management diet - brought in Misson and the bloke from North, and after 2007 whenthe previous regimes damage was being repaired, we have hardly had a soft tissue injury.

The neglect and negligence of the - I dont get involved in fitness and training services issues" coach and the "wont spend any money" President resulted in our list being decimated by needless injuries and hences a shot at the flag in 2004 and 2005.
rodgerfox wrote:But, in the end, regardless of what you wrote, it still took a team that had an unchanged lineup for 10 weeks to kick 7 straight in the final quarter to roll us.
The game goes for four quarters. Superior injury management and fitness of the Sydney team prevailed over the neglected and unfit St.Kilda team.

rodgerfox wrote:Had Geelong not had 4 injuries in the last quarter the week before, we would have come up against a team nearly as depleted as we were instead.
True, and one of an injury depleted Geelong or St.Kilda would have been flogged by a near fully fit WCE in the Grand Final.
Joffaboy, exactly 100% correct weight!

Thomas himself this year said " fitness and conditioning staff are overrated" and this attitude perpetuated his time in control of the entire football department and is precisely IMO what cost us a premiership in 2004 and 2005!

With a decent coach and a professionally run football department we would have won a premiership or two this century already, but we move on and thank our lucky stars that we sacked our bad luck on the 12/9/06!

Enter Lyon, Misson, Drain,

Lucky, lucky, lucky, we should be so lucky!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Enter Lyon, Misson, Drain,

Lucky, lucky, lucky, we should be so lucky!
Now this thread finally gets some quality.

The Singing Barksie. I have heard that B4E has a passing resemblance to Ms Minogue also.....

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Why harsh? We had a turnstile on the "training services" office door during the GT/Butters regime. No continuity, no money to improve the situation and no stats on player fitness at all (as documented by Dave Misson when he got there - he was amazed and appalled).

Lyon recognised very early that the team needed "meat and potatoes" (his term) in their fitness management diet - brought in Misson and the bloke from North, and after 2007 whenthe previous regimes damage was being repaired, we have hardly had a soft tissue injury.

The neglect and negligence of the - I dont get involved in fitness and training services issues" coach and the "wont spend any money" President resulted in our list being decimated by needless injuries and hences a shot at the flag in 2004 and 2005.
rodgerfox wrote:But, in the end, regardless of what you wrote, it still took a team that had an unchanged lineup for 10 weeks to kick 7 straight in the final quarter to roll us.
The game goes for four quarters. Superior injury management and fitness of the Sydney team prevailed over the neglected and unfit St.Kilda team.

rodgerfox wrote:Had Geelong not had 4 injuries in the last quarter the week before, we would have come up against a team nearly as depleted as we were instead.
True, and one of an injury depleted Geelong or St.Kilda would have been flogged by a near fully fit WCE in the Grand Final.
How can anyone see it any differently?
I don't know - perhaps if they were interested in facts they might.

I was pretty sure that Chris Jones had been in charge for a few years in 2005.

I'm also pretty sure that Sam Fisher broke his foot, Gehrig broke his thumb, Dal had ribs and Roo had a shoulder that night.

Pretty hard for fitness dudes to prevent that - no matter how highly you rate them!

It's worth noting also, that West Coast lost Kerr's influence in the GF during the game with a broken leg, and lost Braun before the game.

Just some little facts, that's all.

Milton66
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

I'm also pretty sure that Sam Fisher broke his foot, Gehrig broke his thumb, Dal had ribs and Roo had a shoulder that night.

Pretty hard for fitness dudes to prevent that - no matter how highly you rate them!

It's worth noting also, that West Coast lost Kerr's influence in the GF during the game with a broken leg, and lost Braun before the game.

Gee, calling me a liar. You are soooooooooooooooooooo tough. :lol:

Did you not start a thread about our "lucky" season recently?

I'm still waiting to here of those "poor decisions" you mentioned. You are a funny man RF. Or is that Violent Stool??

Back on topic please and refrain from the personal abuse.

GT's comments questioned if Ratten had then in the "right" frame of mind.

My question is, did GT have us in the right frame of mind. Missing players aside, if we got that far, why couldn't we go for one more quater?

As for Sydney being lucky... what a croc. They had a plan and they executed it all thru 2005.

But don't get some minor facts get in the way of trying to belittle a fellow poster.

For you to call me a liar, simply means that I hit a raw nerve. :lol:

M66 - 1... RF - 0.

BTW, thx MB... right on cue with your hysterical, some might say disturbing defence of all things GT.

My displeasure was that GT took a shot at Ratten. I frankly, I don't believe that he has the right to. Thats just my view.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I must say that GT has every right to have a go at a coach whethere they are a better coach than him or not. He is paid to have an opinion and what is wrong with saying Carlton should not have lost the game. I can assure you if something like that was to happen in either of the last 2 finals then Rl would cop plenty from here and in the media. i actually Ratten has got off lightly as have the players.

Beekay
SS Life Member

keep in mind he regularly pulls out the line "he's coaching and i'm not". he knows his place.

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: I'm also pretty sure that Sam Fisher broke his foot, Gehrig broke his thumb, Dal had ribs and Roo had a shoulder that night.
I had a pie.

Goals (StK)
4: F Gehrig... (thumb)
2: N Riewoldt... (shoulder)
1: L Montagna, N Dal Santo (ribs), L Hayes

Best StK: Dal Santo (ribs), Harvey, Hudghton, Jones
Gehrig (thumb), Baker, Montagna

Not bad for a bunch of stretcher cases.
rodgerfox wrote:Pretty hard for fitness dudes to prevent that - no matter how highly you rate them!
So how did our fitness stack up in the last quarter?

As MB said;
We were just plain buggered
This is so funny.

Tell me again you dont care about GT. :D

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
Gee, calling me a liar. You are soooooooooooooooooooo tough. :lol:
Yes I did.

Because you blatantly lied.

Milton66 wrote: Did you not start a thread about our "lucky" season recently?
Yes - and you obviously didn't read it. If you had have, there is no way you would have posted the lie that you did earlier.
Milton66 wrote: I'm still waiting to here of those "poor decisions" you mentioned. You are a funny man RF. Or is that Violent Stool??
I explained that very succinctly to you already.

Milton66 wrote: Back on topic please and refrain from the personal abuse.
Calling you a liar when you blatantly post a lie, is not personal abuse.

Milton66 wrote: My question is, did GT have us in the right frame of mind. Missing players aside, if we got that far, why couldn't we go for one more quater?
You've just shwon your hand as someone who has never played a game of footy.
Milton66 wrote: As for Sydney being lucky... what a croc. They had a plan and they executed it all thru 2005.
Was part of their plan to be 4 goals down against Geelong, then Geelong lose 4 players to injury in the last quarter, then beat them with 4 seconds to go?

Phew! Now that's planning!
Milton66 wrote: But don't get some minor facts get in the way of trying to belittle a fellow poster.
Huh?

I must have missed the belittling part. You'll need to be clearer on what you're referring to.

Milton66 wrote: For you to call me a liar, simply means that I hit a raw nerve. :lol:

M66 - 1... RF - 0.
No. It means you lied.

I don't care much for liars. It's a trait that I don't respect.

Milton66 wrote: My displeasure was that GT took a shot at Ratten. I frankly, I don't believe that he has the right to. Thats just my view.
Frankly, you're obsessed with the man.

I think you may be in love with him.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

So we didn't have soft tissue injuries in 04 and 05? What was wrong with Kossie that night? Did he play? What about Hackland? And Ball? There were others carrying injuries.

Dal had broken ribs? or where they bruised? Riewoldt had had a should all season.

And why weren't we fit enough to run out the game even with these injuries.

Would Kerr have broken his leg if we or Geelong had played them in the Grand Final?.

the facts are that we could not get our full team on the park all of 2004 and 2005. Injuries completely wrecked the seasons.

If we had have been able to keep our soft tissue epidemic in check with good list management we may not have come 3rd and 4th in those two seasons and may not have had to play interstate in the first finals.

In 2004 we were smashed by Brisbane, then had to get to the PF the hard way and play interstate.

In 2005 we busted a gut beating Adelaide (again an interstate final) and even with two weeks break couldn't go four qtrs with Sydney.

Because of list management and poor decision making by coaching and admin, we were not given the best opportunity in those finals campaigns to win through to have a shot at the flag.

Contrast to this year. Great list management, hardly a soft tissue injury, we finish first, we get a home state QF. We win, and now with a full list, have a week off to prepare for another home PF.

It all has to do with player management, player conditioning, and list management, something that the GT/Butters regime was pitiful at and it cost us an opportunity to have a shot at a flag.

If you cant see that, well, I just dont know what to say.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
markp
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote: So we didn't have soft tissue injuries in 04 and 05? What was wrong with Kossie that night? Did he play? What about Hackland? And Ball? There were others carrying injuries.

Dal had broken ribs? or where they bruised? Riewoldt had had a should all season.

Would Kerr have broken his leg if we or Geelong had played them in the Grand Final?.

the facts are that we could not get our full team on the park all of 2004 and 2005. Injuries completely wrecked the seasons.

If we had have been able to keep our soft tissue epidemic in check with good list management we may not have come 3rd and 4th in those two seasons and may not have had to play interstate in the first finals.

In 2004 we were smashed by Brisbane, then had to get to the PF the hard way and play interstate.

In 2005 we busted a gut beating Adelaide (again an interstate final) and even with two weeks break couldn't go four qtrs with Sydney.

Because of list management and poor decision making by coaching and admin, we were not given the best opportunity in those finals campaigns to win through to have a shot at the flag.

Contrast to this year. Great list management, hardly a soft tissue injury, we finish first, we get a home state QF. We win, and now with a full list, have a week off to prepare for another home PF.

It all has to do with player management, player conditioning, and list management, something that the GT/Butters regime was pitiful at and it cost us an opportunity to have a shot at a flag.

No... 'luck' is always the overriding factor! :D

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

So we didn't have soft tissue injuries in 04 and 05? What was wrong with Kossie that night? Did he play? What about Hackland? And Ball? There were others carrying injuries.

I'm not sure who you are arguing with here. If it's me, I'm not sure we're on the same page.

Of course, there were plenty of injuries that we suffered in 05-06 that may have been preventable.

Our list was very good, and very well managed. We had 6-8 top 22 players missing in a Prelim, against a team that had an unchanged lineup including multiple AAs, and with the list that took the field, we were competitive for 3 quarters.

Obviously, the list wasn't that bad. Therefore the management of it must have been Ok.

Sydney had freak luck. They did their bit to ensure they didn't break any bones over the 2nd half of the year, but that wasn't enough. It also required 3 other teams to cop injuries badly for them to win.

I simply can't see how anyone can debate this.

Let me ask you a question....

What if Roo actually did his knee last week and didn't play again. And after the game, when Lenny said "we're really looking forward to the week off cause there's some pretty sore boys at the moment" if he was alluding to the fact that we have some niggles and maybe some guys won't come up - what would your thoughts be?

Horrific management to get a team to 20-2 then not win the GF due to injury? Or bad luck cause we copped some at the pointy end of the season to key players?

Milton66
SS Life Member

markp wrote:
joffaboy wrote: So we didn't have soft tissue injuries in 04 and 05? What was wrong with Kossie that night? Did he play? What about Hackland? And Ball? There were others carrying injuries.

No... 'luck' is always the overriding factor! :D
Liar! :lol:

Milton66
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:I must say that GT has every right to have a go at a coach whethere they are a better coach than him or not. He is paid to have an opinion and what is wrong with saying Carlton should not have lost the game. I can assure you if something like that was to happen in either of the last 2 finals then Rl would cop plenty from here and in the media. i actually Ratten has got off lightly as have the players.
Agree totally P66.

And RL would cop plenty from me also.

I just find it ironic when he makes those calls. That's all.

If MAtthews made them, then I'd more inclined to take it on board.

Milton66
SS Life Member

barks4eva wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

And as usual I watched it with both eyes wide open.
Oh really, as per usual I'm sure your view was somewhat obscured!

If timing is everything in comedy, then this takes the cake.

Pure gold B4E... pure gold.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Milton66 wrote: According to you, we're all just lucky this year.
According to who???

You're a liar Wayne.
Off topic Roger, are you collecting the Simpsons stickems from the Herald Sun this week? :wink:
hahahahahha

sozz :twisted:
Curious, what is sozz?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Milton66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I must say that GT has every right to have a go at a coach whethere they are a better coach than him or not. He is paid to have an opinion and what is wrong with saying Carlton should not have lost the game. I can assure you if something like that was to happen in either of the last 2 finals then Rl would cop plenty from here and in the media. i actually Ratten has got off lightly as have the players.
Agree totally P66.

so the OP starts a thread to ridicule GT but if Leigh Matthews said the same thing you would agree...
speaks volumes about your character

Seeya
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote: Curious, what is sozz?
Sorry?

markp
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
Sorry?
So it should be who?

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
Sorry?
So it should be who?
Sozz?

markp
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
markp wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
Sorry?
So it should be who?
Sozz?
Who?

markp
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:speaks volumes about your character
Sorry?

Milton66
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Agree totally P66.

so the OP starts a thread to ridicule GT but if Leigh Matthews said the same thing you would agree...
speaks volumes about your character
See this where your GT love blinds you.

I didn't start it to ridicule him.

I was merely stating that I found that comment odd, given his own history.

If Lethal said it, yes I'd take note. Why? 4 time prem coach not to mention how many as a player?

It's called being an authority. Lethal is one, GT is merely a commentator with an opinion.

So that's my take. Now tell me how does this reflect on my character?

BTW, it's great that the club invited him to the game. He deserves to be a part of the club like anyone else. Regardless of my views on him.