Unvelievable Year but Have we peaked to soon ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

RedBlack & No White

bigcarl wrote:
RedBlack & No White wrote:Resting guys in R18 was a sensible thing. Cruise along until September, with just patches of intense footy is all that's required at this stage. It's called managing your list for the business end of the season.
geelong took the long view, resting players when they needn't have and have found it hard to regain that winning feeling.

i agree that resting up our stars in round 18 was sensible, but i'm apprehensive as to whether you can turn winning and losing on and off like a tap.

we need to make a statement this week.
There's a certain "look" about teams though. Geelong really look cactus. Whether it's because certain players are playing sore, or whether it's because they have lost confidence in themselves, but they have been pushed to the limits ever since you guys beat them. Since then, they lost to Brisbane by 43, beat Melb by 46, beat Haw by 1, beat Adelaide by 2, lost to Carl by 35, beat Sydney by 5 and lost to Bulldogs last night.

Their backline looks vulnerable now, and their forward line is useless without Johnson. Mooney would have to be one of the worst KPP forward's in the comp. And Hawkins is a muppet.

It is quite clear as an outsider than you have a well balanced team across every line. I wouldn't be too concerned about recent "form" whatsoever. And in reality, what "statement" would be made this week if you beat North by 12 goals? Everyone is expecting it anyway. Same the last round v Melbourne.

As I said, you're statement will be made in the Qualifying Final. Fingers crossed for no injuries (and that is why it is wise to take the foot off the pedal), you will have a full team with a killer instinct. That's what I meant about a "look" about a team. Geelong don't have it anymore.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Hmm, don'tknow about peaking too early, think it is more of a case of just taking it easy and switching to cruise control.

Also, the last six weeks, we have played teams with more to play for than us.

West Coast would have dearly loved to knock us off. Everyone wanted to be the first team this eyar to knock us off and they had probably the best chance of anyone.

Then we flogged an Adelaide side challenging for a genuine top four spot.

Then we flogged a bulldogs side doing relatively the same thing.

Then we beat a Sydney side playing for their finals chances which were ever dwindling.

Then we flogged a Hawthorn side who were also playing for dwindling finals hopes.

Then we came from forty points down to fail by less than a kick against aNOTHER side playing for their finals hopes.

If someone had've told me after the round 14 game we would win ALL six I would have laughed in their facce and taken their money straight away.

Turns out I was right - but still to have gotten 5-1 from that tough period (which included three interstate matches) is bloody impressive.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I have to have the last word .. lol.

I agree, let's keep cruising with the foot off the pedal if that's what we're doing then (and I hope it is just that) - as it's all about bringing fully fit players, filled to the brim with energy into the finals.

Of all the teams we especially need to bring fit players into the finals as our successful and proven game plan throughout the year revolved around applying relentless irresistible pressure and choking teams and therefore requires working extra hard with or without the ball.

So let's keep cruising over the next 2 games of the home and away -and hopefully that's all that's been happening from the Sydney game onwards.