Bakes.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Old enough to know your thinking is stupid. Why would a played get over being dropped every second week for what ever reason. This is their livelyhood. If they sre dropped depending on contracts they lose money. No good for them or the team. Dont know to many teams who have done what you want and succeeded in any sport. Happy for you to name a few though. As for your quote these guys are tougher than you think. How do you know that? Do you know many players? By the way are you involved in any team sport?
If you say so. So you reckon older guarantees "wiser" do you? I hope you're not serious. I've seen kids who are genuinely wiser than some 60-70 year olds. If you are serious, these are the ancient sort of mindsets that are being left behind with the dinosaurs. There are new and improved ways of doing things all the time. Do you call them all "stupid" when you first hear them? It wouldn't surprise in the least.
Just the simple fact that you said "Dont know to many teams who have done what you want and succeeded in any sport. Happy for you to name a few though." means that you're obviously a "follower" and not an innovator/leader. Not going out on too many limbs, are you? Going by your way of thinking, anything that hasn't been done before, "can't" be done, can it? In case you haven't been paying attention, Everest, which apparently hadn't been climbed for thousands of years, was climbed. Man set foot on the moon. Sheep have been cloned. America elected someone with dark skin to be president, etc, etc.
And you don't need to have met all our guys personally to know that they're tough. They wouldn't have gotten this far if they're as fragile as you seem to think they are. Some actually have the ability to rise to the occasion. And here's a thought, if you're so worried about their contracts etc, do you not think that playing a bit less often (although "every second week" are your words, not mine, as per usual) would prolong their career? Surely that would add a couple of years to it and probably mean they're less likely to be a physical wreck at the end of it. Money isn't everything, especially when they're making as much as they are.
And in case you aren't aware of it, "the team" is supposed to be greater than "the individual". You seem to be constantly putting them first. And you're the one who keeps saying "dropped", like playing last week "entitles" you to play this week. Does it? It's like those who in golf say "you're putting to "save" your par", as though you already have it. You don't have it. You have to make it. Anything can happen.
As for your question: "By the way are you involved in any team sport?", it makes no difference, does it? Leigh Matthews and David Parkin probably aren't currently, but what does that mean? That they suddenly know nothing? You could have been involved in 5 different teams a week, for 60 years, but if you have the IQ of a peanut, someone who's had a fraction of that "experience" could still easily outsmart you, if they're much smarter. It's why Michael Voss is doing so well, despite the fact that this is basically his first coaching gig of any kind. There would be guys who've been coaching for 30 years who he'd coach under the table, simply because he's BETTER.
You'd do well to free your mind and have a look at what is actually HAPPENING in the world, as opposed to what you think. You'll be surprised.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

And the prize for silliest, most long-winded, and quite possibly trippiest spray goes to...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old enough to know your thinking is stupid. Why would a played get over being dropped every second week for what ever reason. This is their livelyhood. If they sre dropped depending on contracts they lose money. No good for them or the team. Dont know to many teams who have done what you want and succeeded in any sport. Happy for you to name a few though. As for your quote these guys are tougher than you think. How do you know that? Do you know many players? By the way are you involved in any team sport?
If you say so. So you reckon older guarantees "wiser" do you? I hope you're not serious. I've seen kids who are genuinely wiser than some 60-70 year olds. If you are serious, these are the ancient sort of mindsets that are being left behind with the dinosaurs. There are new and improved ways of doing things all the time. Do you call them all "stupid" when you first hear them? It wouldn't surprise in the least.
Just the simple fact that you said "Dont know to many teams who have done what you want and succeeded in any sport. Happy for you to name a few though." means that you're obviously a "follower" and not an innovator/leader. Not going out on too many limbs, are you? Going by your way of thinking, anything that hasn't been done before, "can't" be done, can it? In case you haven't been paying attention, Everest, which apparently hadn't been climbed for thousands of years, was climbed. Man set foot on the moon. Sheep have been cloned. America elected someone with dark skin to be president, etc, etc.
And you don't need to have met all our guys personally to know that they're tough. They wouldn't have gotten this far if they're as fragile as you seem to think they are. Some actually have the ability to rise to the occasion. And here's a thought, if you're so worried about their contracts etc, do you not think that playing a bit less often (although "every second week" are your words, not mine, as per usual) would prolong their career? Surely that would add a couple of years to it and probably mean they're less likely to be a physical wreck at the end of it. Money isn't everything, especially when they're making as much as they are.
And in case you aren't aware of it, "the team" is supposed to be greater than "the individual". You seem to be constantly putting them first. And you're the one who keeps saying "dropped", like playing last week "entitles" you to play this week. Does it? It's like those who in golf say "you're putting to "save" your par", as though you already have it. You don't have it. You have to make it. Anything can happen.
As for your question: "By the way are you involved in any team sport?", it makes no difference, does it? Leigh Matthews and David Parkin probably aren't currently, but what does that mean? That they suddenly know nothing? You could have been involved in 5 different teams a week, for 60 years, but if you have the IQ of a peanut, someone who's had a fraction of that "experience" could still easily outsmart you, if they're much smarter. It's why Michael Voss is doing so well, despite the fact that this is basically his first coaching gig of any kind. There would be guys who've been coaching for 30 years who he'd coach under the table, simply because he's BETTER.
You'd do well to free your mind and have a look at what is actually HAPPENING in the world, as opposed to what you think. You'll be surprised.
What a rubbish response to the questions asked. Now i know you know nothing. Changes for changes sake. You know it makes no sense. 15 nil. That is all that needs to be said. you can drop players every second week to suit match ups and drop players every week they play badly but luckily you dont coach our side. A person who knows team sport does and he clearly disagrees with what you think should happen.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:bakes has lost a yard and could be a liability. main issue is he is our only small defender. and these days most oppositions have 2 or 3 small forwards.

so i think we maybe stuck with him.
Surely you could be a little kinder with your words than us being "stuck with him" Con?

Perhaps Baker is heading towards the twilight of his career, could we potentially be grooming anyone for this role in the future? Excuse my ignorance as I have not seen him play yet, but could someone like Jack Steven take over the role as a small defender next year?
i think i meant say "stick with him". it was actually a typo.
i is next u on the qwerty.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:

Above summarises what I'm not understanding about this idea of ins and outs every week which has taken over as the vogue from early in the season when it seemed popular to not change anyone until we lost (yes, I'm aware they're different vocal minorities, I just don't understand either of them).

The last 5 or so years has quantifiably demonstrated that using less players translates to better results. It has been widely inferred that using less players supports the building and maintaing of some of the hardest to quantify qualities in team sport:
- morale
- consistency
- equilibrium

it also obviously breeds familiarity with the guy holding the line beside you.

Now, I'm of the thought that if you've got an upgrade on Baker ready to go, make the switch, it's finals we're preparing for, not round 16/17/18. However, I don't see that player. Horses for courses is all well and good, but much as a coaching plan 'B', 99% of the time, you're better off trying to spark the status quo than blowing up the plan (for reference see Dockers, Fremantle or coaching of Watson, Tim)... you've got to have options, you've got to have a plan 'B', but when you find yourself using them, it means something has gone pretty badly wrong.

Steven Baker has not looked as good this year as in the past. He's added enough however (physical play, sheer hardness... plus being very good on occasion) that in a team with no struggle for identity, with no clear replacement, that I suspect he's safe through finals (though Lyon may experiment).

It will be in the next preseason that Baker's going to really have to worry.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote: This is where you are wrong
Article by Damien Barrett, Herald Sun June 18, 2009:

"In his time at St Kilda, Malthouse was coached by Allan Jeans. At Richmond, it was Tom Hafey, Barry Richardson, Tony Jewell and Francis Bourke.

"I certainly couldn't have got two greater men in Jeans and Hafey. They, and the others I played under, taught me there is no right way or wrong way to coaching" (Mick Malthouse)

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Animal Enclosure wrote: Bakes will be hugely important come September. Seriously tough players are crucial when games tighten up & get more physical. It's no co-incidence that Bakes' best game in 09 was the Geelong match, which was finals like.
Spot on, AE.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Talk about answering the critics!

32 Disposals (7 contested), 94% efficiency, 5 Tackles, 2 Clearances and 13 Marks.

More importantly, hard at the ball, at the man, and reminds us why we love him.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Is 32 possessions a career best for Bakes? Anybody?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Is 32 possessions a career best for Bakes? Anybody?
yup

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Well, since we're won't be dropping and delisting him then, we better rest him! :roll:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Well, since we're won't be dropping and delisting him then, we better rest him! :roll:
yup needs a seat for a week
:roll:

aussiejones
Club Player

Great game great to see the baker hardness in tackling ....and some good running too.