Raph Clarke

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I didn't think Raph was all that marvellous yesterday: he seemed to be out of position a fair bit, enabling the likes of Selwood to run into holes.

That said, he also did a few ok things, although he was clearly very focused on not making mistakes: which probably helped to inhibit his free-flowing game.

Raph is a confidence player. He has gotten over the first hurdle and, if he is now left in the team for a few weeks, will most likely start to display his best game again.

Those making statements that he is "past it, should be delisted, etc." know zero about footy. Raph has potentially a lot to offer. For various reasons (including - let's not forget - a serious, chronic medical condition) - he might not deliver it. But, with the team 14-0, I reckon it is worth giving him a few more goes to see if he can do so by finals time. His contribution in the finals could potentially be the difference between our winning a flag and being disappointed yet again.

As for the idea that Dempster will replace Raph: this is a complete nonsense IMO. Dempster is a completely different sort of player to Raph: a highly defensive, negating player. In the deluded minds of some on here, Dempster is some sort of an attacking wing man. To those posters, I would suggest that you find a tape - any tape - of any of Sean's 70 odd games and watch how he plays.

Dempster for Geary would be a reasonable move after yesterday: Geary presumably did ok at blotting out his opponent (I'm not sure who that was: it was hard to tell on TV), but offered virtually nothing in terms of ball movement. I imagine Dempster could offer a bit more with his long kicking, although there probably isn't much in it.

But not Dempster for Raph. (Of course, there is also the issue of how Lyon is going to fit Max back in, but let's not get into that one now).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Raph was good? Especially in the last quarter when he turned the ball over twice with his trademark lack of decisiveness and let them back into the game when we had it iced. To all the Raph lovers on here, you're almost as offensive as the Raph-haters. Based on all the evidence of 6 seasons of waiting for him to deliver on his so-called "potential", IMO there is no way he's in our best 22. Especially when the heat is on, as it will be in September. To those who reckon he was good tonight-Please explain!
Hmmm I just watched the last quarter and didnt see him turn it over once..saw a couple of crucial moments deep in defence when he had posession and fired out quick handpasses that hit targets each time though
But whatever you do, dont let piddling things like FACTS get in the way of the likes of White Winmar (sounds racsit to me BTW mods?????) and their hate filled lies and diatribes.

I watched the replay last night and Raph was pretty crucial down back when the pressure was white hot. Didn't turn it over AT ALL in qtr4.

White Winmar is just an ignorant liar.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
rexy
SS Life Member

Thought Raphs poise under preassure on the last line of defense was important on several occasions, agree he could be more offensive in his decision making when he has the ball in space but, as I was watching on TV I can not fairly judge what options he had ahead of him. All in all a solid game from Raph, a versatile player who can run and carry, use his body and play taller or shorter. Good decision by Lyon to play him on Rooke IMO and overall a good game. Hope he stays in for an extended period. His best is best 22 IMO.

Maybe this year?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:he was clearly very focused on not making mistakes: which probably helped to inhibit his free-flowing game.
this why i think a shot at hff might bring the best out of him.

he's a natural play-maker and this would give him his best chance of showing us his creative best.