"Abysmal Service " section at the Etihad Club yest

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Easy solution is for ES to employ a catering company that actually screen people for their credentials and quality of service.

If they look hard enough they will find youngsters who have done the basic courses and will still work for the same money (eg. will handle plates and glasses correctly)

Comes down to poor choices by ES and the catering company.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Just one quick question plugger.

Will you ever criticize anything the AFL/Stadiums ever do?
And that has what to do with this? I criticised the AFL and or the stadiums for not moving the game this week is that ok. I find it funny I sometimes get labelled a whinger because I dont whinge about the AFL or clubs we are playing or not hating opposition players or not thinking everything our players do is 100% correct.

Back to this issue anyway I suggest if people dont like the service at Livewire they go to the Nixon afer the game as it is directly over the road.
No the point is , which you conveniently avoid or twist to suit your own argument, that paying customers were unhappy with the level of service they received at a bar at EataTurd Stadium.

In your twisted convoluted logic you choose to label them as 'whingers' becasue they are unhappy with the service, which you yourself claim is 'terrible'. Others offfer advice as to how possibly to improve that 'terrible' service and you choose to blame the paying customer for expecting anything other than 'terrible' service.

I might humbly suggest that is not an appropriate response in any 'Customer Service Manual' I've ever seen.
They are unhappy so they leave. I must be a bit strange but if I am unhappy about something I would choose not to go there again. As for fixing it there hasnt been to many ideas apart from getting more staff which has been explained would cost the clubs more money. You go on and on but it doesnt help, does it. By the way i have never blamed anyone just stated a fact they are whinging over something that is very hard to fix because it happens 10 minutes a game. Finally does that 10 minutes out of 800,000 really hurt you.
In your eagerness to jump on here and call everybody who expresses a con trary opinion to yourself a 'whinger', you missed the obvious answer to your own question..

EMPLOY BETTER STAFF.

As for employing more staff, the only person floating the concept that it woud cost the CLubs more is you. How do you know what the financial arrangements at EataTurd are?

How do you know that the current staff are employed by the Stadium and not Delaware?

Or are you just making an assumption?

I've got no idea who employs them, but logic tells me that it would be the licensees rather than the Stadium, and If I'm correct there would be no charge from the Licensees to teh participating Clubs. They pay rent to the Stadium to hire out the facilities so that they can sell their products to teh public who attend. They therefopre would provide, I think, their own staff, equipment and product to sell.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Just one quick question plugger.

Will you ever criticize anything the AFL/Stadiums ever do?
And that has what to do with this? I criticised the AFL and or the stadiums for not moving the game this week is that ok. I find it funny I sometimes get labelled a whinger because I dont whinge about the AFL or clubs we are playing or not hating opposition players or not thinking everything our players do is 100% correct.

Back to this issue anyway I suggest if people dont like the service at Livewire they go to the Nixon afer the game as it is directly over the road.
No the point is , which you conveniently avoid or twist to suit your own argument, that paying customers were unhappy with the level of service they received at a bar at EataTurd Stadium.

In your twisted convoluted logic you choose to label them as 'whingers' becasue they are unhappy with the service, which you yourself claim is 'terrible'. Others offfer advice as to how possibly to improve that 'terrible' service and you choose to blame the paying customer for expecting anything other than 'terrible' service.

I might humbly suggest that is not an appropriate response in any 'Customer Service Manual' I've ever seen.
They are unhappy so they leave. I must be a bit strange but if I am unhappy about something I would choose not to go there again. As for fixing it there hasnt been to many ideas apart from getting more staff which has been explained would cost the clubs more money. You go on and on but it doesnt help, does it. By the way i have never blamed anyone just stated a fact they are whinging over something that is very hard to fix because it happens 10 minutes a game. Finally does that 10 minutes out of 800,000 really hurt you.
In your eagerness to jump on here and call everybody who expresses a con trary opinion to yourself a 'whinger', you missed the obvious answer to your own question..

EMPLOY BETTER STAFF.

As for employing more staff, the only person floating the concept that it woud cost the CLubs more is you. How do you know what the financial arrangements at EataTurd are?

How do you know that the current staff are employed by the Stadium and not Delaware?

Or are you just making an assumption?

I've got no idea who employs them, but logic tells me that it would be the licensees rather than the Stadium, and If I'm correct there would be no charge from the Licensees to teh participating Clubs. They pay rent to the Stadium to hire out the facilities so that they can sell their products to teh public who attend. They therefopre would provide, I think, their own staff, equipment and product to sell.
As if they would be employed by the stadium. I have said all along they would be employed by the catering company so if we wanted more staff than they would cater for due to the expectant crowd then someone else pays for it. That happens at the G so I would assume it would happen at Etihad.

By the way people complaining on here will not cause Delawere to employ better staff.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger, I just typed out a long response to your last post and then decided to delete it.

There's no point trying to debate a topic with someone who refuses to accept any pov other than his own. And who twists his responses to try and account for the dicrepancies in his current posts.

You don't believe me - go back to your first post in this thread and have a look at what you posted - that the catering companies would charge the Stadium for the extra staff and they would pass that additional cost on to the Club that asked for the additional staff.

That statement is errant nonsense.
I know it
Most people who've read this thread know it.
And even you know it.
You just won't admit it.

So there's no point in taking this debate any further.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:plugger, I just typed out a long response to your last post and then decided to delete it.

There's no point trying to debate a topic with someone who refuses to accept any pov other than his own. And who twists his responses to try and account for the dicrepancies in his current posts.

You don't believe me - go back to your first post in this thread and have a look at what you posted - that the catering companies would charge the Stadium for the extra staff and they would pass that additional cost on to the Club that asked for the additional staff.

I know it
And even you know it.
You just won't admit it.

Just answer why is that nonsense. It is what happens at the G so I assume it would happen here. If our club wanted extra staff so someone could get a drink in less than 10 minutes then the costs would be passed on to us. Pretty obvious really. As for i will not change my POV well I dont see you changing yours either. A pretty ordinary way to end a discussion or are you upset because you thought I said that Etihad paid the staff. Dont worry about a long response just tell me who would pay if we requested extra staff.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I think the key comments were "EMPLOY BETTER STAFF".

But I may be wrong, I was wrong another time.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:I think the key comments were "EMPLOY BETTER STAFF".

Do you have a list on that.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

No you were correct on this occassion - plugger just chooses to ignore it because it doesn't suit the argument he's trying to make.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Do you have a list on that.
I did have a list, I found it while I was sweeping up at the rooms at ES.

Oh sorry, that is your job not mine.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

No you were correct on this occassion - plugger just chooses to ignore it because it doesn't suit the argument he's trying to make.
I didnt ignore it but saying employ better staff on this forum means nothing. Also doesnt mean it is wrong. Have you got an answer for the question yet or are you ignoring it.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:plugger, I just typed out a long response to your last post and then decided to delete it.

I know it
And even you know it.
You just won't admit it.

Just answer why is that nonsense. It is what happens at the G so I assume it would happen here. If our club wanted extra staff so someone could get a drink in less than 10 minutes then the costs would be passed on to us. Pretty obvious really. As for i will not change my POV well I dont see you changing yours either. A pretty ordinary way to end a discussion or are you upset because you thought I said that Etihad paid the staff. Dont worry about a long response just tell me who would pay if we requested extra staff.
Last attempt.

If Delaware sign a contract to provide a 'service' at EataTurd Stadium, they agree to pay a rental amount that is being charged by the Stadium.

The Stadium doesn't tell Delaware how much booze to bring in, how many pies to purchase or how many staff to employ.

That's all Delaware's part of the equation. All they have to do is pay them the agreed amount of rental.

Delaware in this case, determine the rest.

To suggest that if the Saints tell Delaware that they require more bar staff will result in Delaware handing an invoice to EataTurd Stadium to pass on to St Kilda is nonsense.

They, Delaware, may decide that they need to increase the selling price to the public of the food and drinks, but there is no way they would be billing the Stadium for it.
But also quite possibly they might decide that having more staff allows tehm to sell more so it is in the end financially better to employ more staff?

Is that clear enough for you to understand?

Now if you're looking for a way out of this debate you can claim that you thought we were all talking about the President's Dining Room or the Corporate Dining Rooms where the Clubs hire Delaware to provide them with services directly.

But of course we all really know that we were talking about public bars and kiosks which have nothing to do with the competing clubs.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

I didnt ignore it but saying employ better staff on this forum means nothing. Also doesnt mean it is wrong. Have you got an answer for the question yet or are you ignoring it.
Sorry I take longer to type responses than you seem to.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Could someone post a picture of that blonde bimbo from their mobile and post it on here???

lol

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
markp
Saintsational Legend

Ummm... if the problem is the Victory room in particular then what would having 4 extra staff on for an extra hour or 3 cost?... Would they be on about $20 an hour?.... They may even sell more beer.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Re: "Abysmal Service " section at the Etihad Club

mcadam05 wrote:
ozrulestrace wrote:I'm not sure this post belongs in the Saintsational Fan Forum but no doubt someone will correct me.

This post is for my fellow Sainter who yesterday stood at the bar in the Victory Room and our conversation began along the line of the "abysmal service" offered by Ethihad Stadium staff at the bar.

It was a general conversation between two Sainters discussing the bar service and my observation that someone could always ring Collo and point out that as we are paying ES $125k could they provide more staff and my other observation was that if they had the same staffing levels for next weeks game then it will be hard to get any kind of drink.

Neither of us could decipher the hissed comment made at the other Sainter by the blonde barmaid but I can assure my fellow Sainter I copped her wrath :twisted:

She refused to serve me as "you've been rude, mate" and she wasn't going to serve me. Er, since when do two people (customers)having a general conversation, minus foul or abusive or threatening language, constitute a refusal of service which in the end reinforced my opinion of the customer service offered by ES?

Thankfully I managed to stand my ground and got my diet coke in a bottle which I requested be "served with a smile, as all customer service should........" and the justification for her refusal of service was that I'd never worked behind a bar. No, I haven't worked behind a bar, but I've 25 years of customer service with customers that certainly know how to use abusive language with a capital A.

So if anyone from Ethihad Stadium reads this post, a small reminder re customer service might be of value to some of your staff. You have the pourage rates as disclosed by the Supreme Court, so how about the pourage rates be accompanied by a) sufficient staff in the bars and b) bar staff who recognise the value of customer service.
:shock: OMG i think it was me you were chating with surly there couldnt be more then one chat about the service :roll: , I do work in a bar one big thing that has too be done is hire ppl like me if you like who do this work full time not some uni student who does it for one day a week and your right have no idea about anything

if the club ran the Victory room I would offer my services for free too work the bar

heres a tip for the Whitten bar GET BAR MATS or get a coth in your hand and wipe it! really isnt that hard to do
First of all I'm glad mcadam was able to recgnise himself in my original post. I would hope you'd agree that there was nothing in either of our tone or content of the conversation that could have provoked such a hissy fit from the barmaid, and that was my basic point.

Now as to the other posts mainly from plugger about if you don't like the service go somewhere else, my point of the whole thread is, that this was a specific incident where I've approached the bar for a drink, had a conversation in relatively mild terms with a fellow patrona and was then subjected to what would the worst example of customer service I've encountered in proportion to the original situation.

Why should I walk away and go somewhere else, when I shouldn't have been subjected to such poor behaviour by the barmaid?

I think it has been the general conversation about ES whether it be bar staff, gate attendants or security that it is subpar and if you were standing at the equivalent bar in the Qantas Club at the airport for example would we expect the same sort of behaviour? And the answer would be no because Qantas would not tolerate that young woman's attitude and would be out quick smart.

If anyone asks me for my thoughts about ES it is always "Good stadium, badly managed" and in terms of micromanaged well that is non existent.

Maybe Collo has been conducting in-house training on "how not to treat the customer, other than as a lower class pleb, because they're not the Medallion Club"

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I know it
And even you know it.
You just won't admit it.

Last attempt.

If Delaware sign a contract to provide a 'service' at EataTurd Stadium, they agree to pay a rental amount that is being charged by the Stadium.

The Stadium doesn't tell Delaware how much booze to bring in, how many pies to purchase or how many staff to employ.

That's all Delaware's part of the equation. All they have to do is pay them the agreed amount of rental.

Delaware in this case, determine the rest.

To suggest that if the Saints tell Delaware that they require more bar staff will result in Delaware handing an invoice to EataTurd Stadium to pass on to St Kilda is nonsense.

They, Delaware, may decide that they need to increase the selling price to the public of the food and drinks, but there is no way they would be billing the Stadium for it.
But also quite possibly they might decide that having more staff allows tehm to sell more so it is in the end financially better to employ more staff?

Is that clear enough for you to understand?

Now if you're looking for a way out of this debate you can claim that you thought we were all talking about the President's Dining Room or the Corporate Dining Rooms where the Clubs hire Delaware to provide them with services directly.

But of course we all really know that we were talking about public bars and kiosks which have nothing to do with the competing clubs.
Lets talk the G and as i have said before I would think that Etihad would be the same. If a club, say Melbourne want extra staff they go through the G management and they contact spotless and tell them they want more staff in a certain area. This is done because the contract is between spotless and the G not Mebourne. Then Spotless bill the G and that is then passed onto Melbourne. Why would it not happen that way at Etihad? The contract is between delawere and the stadium.

Also I wasnt having a go at you ozrulestrace as you were only complaining about one person who was obviously in the wrong but I also dont think you can compare Livewire to the Qantas club. One costs big money to join and certainly doesnt have a rush of customers.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Re: "Abysmal Service " section at the Etihad Club

ozrulestrace wrote: First of all I'm glad mcadam was able to recgnise himself in my original post. I would hope you'd agree that there was nothing in either of our tone or content of the conversation that could have provoked such a hissy fit from the barmaid, and that was my basic point.

Now as to the other posts mainly from plugger about if you don't like the service go somewhere else, my point of the whole thread is, that this was a specific incident where I've approached the bar for a drink, had a conversation in relatively mild terms with a fellow patrona and was then subjected to what would the worst example of customer service I've encountered in proportion to the original situation.

Why should I walk away and go somewhere else, when I shouldn't have been subjected to such poor behaviour by the barmaid?

I think it has been the general conversation about ES whether it be bar staff, gate attendants or security that it is subpar and if you were standing at the equivalent bar in the Qantas Club at the airport for example would we expect the same sort of behaviour? And the answer would be no because Qantas would not tolerate that young woman's attitude and would be out quick smart.

If anyone asks me for my thoughts about ES it is always "Good stadium, badly managed" and in terms of micromanaged well that is non existent.

Maybe Collo has been conducting in-house training on "how not to treat the customer, other than as a lower class pleb, because they're not the Medallion Club"
Hey Tracy...

You make too much sense to be bothered with some on this forum IMO

No one should have to pay extra for a decent service, seeing that you were non abusive and this staff member suggested that you were "rude" and refused to serve you is a disgrace.

It's really not about extra staff but about better staff that would not cost anything more...

If the service is poor then there are plenty of people who have lost their jobs in recent times that will no doubt make sure that they provide a decent service

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Leo.J
SS Life Member

ES make so much per drink with their unbelievable mark up, that it's in their interest to employ more staff to sell more drinks.

Every time I go into those bars I leave thirsty.

It's Collo's loss...

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
st.byron wrote:That's absolute rubbish isn't it Trace. Do Spotless still have the rights to catering at Docklands?
Whichever mob it is, you can be assured that they don't give a flying F*** about service and customer satisfaction. Their one and only interest is how much money they can make out of it.
Spotless Services don't have the catering at Docklands - not anymore.
Delaware North Australia have the contract.
Delaware North is American owned.

Spotless Services still has the catering at the MCG.
Former chairman of the AFL commission Ron Evans was the managing director and a major shareholder in Spotless Services.

Spotless Services through its subsidiary company Nationwide Venue Management, was the original operator of Docklands Stadium.
The AFL clubs may not have had good deals at Docklands.
But Ron Evan's Nationwide Venue Management did.
Also got a good sale price too.
Former Essendon President Ron Evans ensured Essendon was guaranteed the best deal at Docklands.

The AFL clubs may not have had a good deal at the MCG .
But Ron Evan's Spotless Services did.

Surprising that only since Evan's death has the AFL recognised a problem with club contracts at the MCG and Docklands.
Surprising that only recently has the AFL realised they should be getting revenue from catering at Docklands.

Now current chairman Mike Fitzpatrick is 50% owner of the Homebush Olympic Stadium (ANZ Stadium) in Sydney.

No conflicts of interest, and no corruption in the AFL eh Plugger66.
Thanks for the info Ace

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Easy solution is for ES to employ a catering company that actually screen people for their credentials and quality of service.

If they look hard enough they will find youngsters who have done the basic courses and will still work for the same money (eg. will handle plates and glasses correctly)

Comes down to the fact that they don't give a F*** about service. The only thing they and whoever runs the catering contract cares about is money.

Plugger, it's a pretty strange argument to suggest that if people don't like the service they should go elsewhere. That's fine in a totally open competitive market, but inside Docklands isn't one. The level of service being provided is clearly sub-standard and it's just not good enough to say, "go somewhere else".
I remember debating with you a few weeks ago about the way GF tix are distributed and you defending what is clearly a totally inequitable system that sucks the life out the event so that corporate hangers on can have their once a year thrill of attending a GF. I find your tendency to defend the AFL and the way it runs it's business pretty strange when it clearly is not set up with the interests of the general footy public in mind.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:Easy solution is for ES to employ a catering company that actually screen people for their credentials and quality of service.

Comes down to the fact that they don't give a F*** about service. The only thing they and whoever runs the catering contract cares about is money.

Plugger, it's a pretty strange argument to suggest that if people don't like the service they should go elsewhere. That's fine in a totally open competitive market, but inside Docklands isn't one. The level of service being provided is clearly sub-standard and it's just not good enough to say, "go somewhere else".
I remember debating with you a few weeks ago about the way GF tix are distributed and you defending what is clearly a totally inequitable system that sucks the life out the event so that corporate hangers on can have their once a year thrill of attending a GF. I find your tendency to defend the AFL and the way it runs it's business pretty strange when it clearly is not set up with the interests of the general footy public in mind.
Firstly I certainly dont find the service bad at all except for 10 minutes after the game when 500 people decend on a small room. It is very hard to do much about that. The service at other times is certainly no worse than my local pub. As for it being the only place to have a drink after the game well there are bars no more than 200 metres from the ground and you have to leave the ground to get home anyway. And finally I will defend the AFL on the GF tickets rights but this is clearly nothing to do with the AFL. It is about what the stadium and delaware think are the right amount of staff to service the crowds at Etihad. By the way we may all hate Etihad except me it seems but exactly the same issues arise after every game at the G as well.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Firstly I certainly dont find the service bad at all except for 10 minutes after the game when 500 people decend on a small room. It is very hard to do much about that. The service at other times is certainly no worse than my local pub. As for it being the only place to have a drink after the game well there are bars no more than 200 metres from the ground and you have to leave the ground to get home anyway. And finally I will defend the AFL on the GF tickets rights but this is clearly nothing to do with the AFL. It is about what the stadium and delaware think are the right amount of staff to service the crowds at Etihad. By the way we may all hate Etihad except me it seems but exactly the same issues arise after every game at the G as well.
Wouldnt call it a small room..the EJ Whitten bar is a very BIG rom with, if you count both sides..a very large bar. You can put probably 30-40 along side by side...and I dont think Ive ever seen more than 4 people working it. ..see that doesnt count the people who wander round with lil earpieces on and look important without actually serving anyone For its siize its seriously understaffed and the people who work it certainly dont seem to be trained bar staff, except for having a RSA certificate Id think.

Their committment to customer service for me is epitomised by the "only 2 beers while the game is on" signs. is this because they send their staff on a break....or an admission that they cant keep up with unlimited demand? Its an honest question..ive never been in there while a games on. Just seems wrong that rather than altering staff to cope with demand..they reduce demand

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Wouldnt call it a small room..the EJ Whitten bar is a very BIG rom with, if you count both sides..a very large bar. You can put probably 30-40 along side by side...and I dont think Ive ever seen more than 4 people working it. ..see that doesnt count the people who wander round with lil earpieces on and look important without actually serving anyone For its siize its seriously understaffed and the people who work it certainly dont seem to be trained bar staff, except for having a RSA certificate Id think.

Their committment to customer service for me is epitomised by the "only 2 beers while the game is on" signs. is this because they send their staff on a break....or an admission that they cant keep up with unlimited demand? Its an honest question..ive never been in there while a games on. Just seems wrong that rather than altering staff to cope with demand..they reduce demand
Like someone said in this thread I dont really think the idea of the stadium is to serve people quickly so they can get pissed. I dont think that is in anyones interest so I imagine that is why they have the 2 drinks per person sign afterall you can get 5soft drinks if you want. Can I ask you one question, does it really worry you so much that the first beer after a game can be hard to get when after about 10 minutes it is very easy to get a drink.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

It's always been my experience in business that before you can 'fix a problem' a few tings have to occur.

1. There needs to be a recognition that there is a problem.

2. There needs to be a willingness to try and resolve the issue(s).

From the outside looking in and seeing the general complaints of 'lack of service' from nearly everybody who has posted on this topic, it would appear that the Delaware are either not aware of the 'problem' or if they are they do not care enough to do something about it.

Because have no doubt, it is within their power to 'fix' this problem if they want to.

As I mentioned earlier there are venues all over town managing to serve crowds from 50 to 3000 patrons within 10-15 minute intervals. If they're capable of doing it then I have no doubts that a giant hospitality firm like Delaware can also.

As for the Stadium service issues mentioned by others in this thread, there is no doubt that they could also be solved if there was a willingness to do so. Unfortunately there does not appear to be that willingness.

It will be very interesting in 2025 when the Stadium converts to AFL ownership how differently they run it? Will they liste to their patrons or will they continue the model being shown by Ian Collins and his staff?

On a side issue, does anybody know what happened to that Lady from Delaware North who was part of the original Footy First Ticket?