"St Kilda's riches may force Maguire to move on"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:The only consolation in this is that we have a former Geelong player, who is not in the media, going to the press and saying what he has said.

My take is that Geelong are very worried about us to put out one of their former players attempting to destabilise St Kilda by saying Maguire will leave if he does not get a game and, to boot, saying we are no good and should have lost our last two games including one to a bottom team, "if they had 2 key forwards".

And their former player is saying this in the build up to a minor round match between St Kilda and Geelong.

Coincidence?
Yes.

Ryanstein
Club Player

deserves a chance to prove himself doesn't he?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Deserves a chance to excel at VFL level until there's no other alternative but to pick him. Otherwise he's waiting on injury. Just how it is.

Legendary
Club Player

Forget what he was five thousand years ago in a different life.

Look at the facts.

He has played 2 matches in the VFL where his form has suggested he was worth of selection in the senior team.

Both those matches were as a result of spending time in the forward line.

He played down back on the weekend, and was poor.

His form does not warrant selection.

Not only that, there is no 6'3"+ player in the senior team performing poorly at the moment.

The suggestion seems to be from the article that Maguire should be bought into the team to 1) stop him leaving the club, 2) because he is tough and 3) because his form deserves it.

His form does not deserve it, and obviously the club know that. If he wants to leave the club then that's his decision, we are not here to play people out of sympathy.

St Kilda owes Matt Maguire nothing. They have given him every chance to succeed.

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Yeah, Couch, you are overstuffed! If we want an irrational, biased opinion of someone with only their own self-interest in mind, we will read this site!
Would be great to be in a true bargaining postion for someone who MAY end up being superfluous to our needs - much like Essendon used to do with their players 25+. I love Goose and would be rapt to see him busting packs and running through CHB but if he can't get a decent run and we can pick up some low drafts or target a specifc needed player well why not.......?

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

Saying all this I wuld rather see Matty Maguire holding up the cup on 26tth september 2009 rather than a dawson or even a ray for that matter. he is an original been fighting for the saints since 2001.

he is a lot stronger than dawson. I like dawson and think he is awesome i dunno its a nice problem to have lets not forget that. If we think max and dawsopn and blake and sfisher are going through unijured we are kidding ourselves yes?

Shaggy
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
To the top wrote:The only consolation in this is that we have a former Geelong player, who is not in the media, going to the press and saying what he has said.

My take is that Geelong are very worried about us to put out one of their former players attempting to destabilise St Kilda by saying Maguire will leave if he does not get a game and, to boot, saying we are no good and should have lost our last two games including one to a bottom team, "if they had 2 key forwards".

And their former player is saying this in the build up to a minor round match between St Kilda and Geelong.

Coincidence?
Yes.
I read a long time ago that Couch's kids are all Saints supporters.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: "St Kilda's riches may force Maguire to move on&

ohwhenthesaints! wrote: Jay Clark | June 25, 2009 12:00am...

Negotiations on a new contract with St Kilda ...
This is what the story was about and his uncle was doing some boosting.

We won't know how he'll go in the team until he plays. Sandy gives no real guide for backline players who need to be part of a group. I don't wish poor form or injury on any player in the team at the moment, but it will taken one of those events to give him his chance. It's nice, for a change, to be able to select someone who is actually good if a replacement is needed.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Forget what he was five thousand years ago in a different life.

Look at the facts.

He has played 2 matches in the VFL where his form has suggested he was worth of selection in the senior team.

Both those matches were as a result of spending time in the forward line.

He played down back on the weekend, and was poor.

His form does not warrant selection.

Not only that, there is no 6'3"+ player in the senior team performing poorly at the moment.

The suggestion seems to be from the article that Maguire should be bought into the team to 1) stop him leaving the club, 2) because he is tough and 3) because his form deserves it.

His form does not deserve it, and obviously the club know that. If he wants to leave the club then that's his decision, we are not here to play people out of sympathy.

St Kilda owes Matt Maguire nothing. They have given him every chance to succeed.
You have to take emotion out of it - you have. Good post.

“Yeah….nah””
Milton66
SS Life Member

CaptainReiwoldt wrote:Saying all this I wuld rather see Matty Maguire holding up the cup on 26tth september 2009 rather than a dawson or even a ray for that matter. he is an original been fighting for the saints since 2001.

he is a lot stronger than dawson. I like dawson and think he is awesome i dunno its a nice problem to have lets not forget that. If we think max and dawsopn and blake and sfisher are going through unijured we are kidding ourselves yes?
I'd rather see the best 22 olding up the cup. Don't care what their names are TBH.

Goose has done nothing yet to earn a recall, or a grand final appearance IMO.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I remember GT describing Goose's weaknesses when the Goose was at his best ..he's now struggling to be the player he was...

and the player he was had flaws the opposition could exploit...

whats the issue if he goes....they'll need someone else to advertise Jeld Wen Doors

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
felixleo
Club Player

You gotta love goose, his personality , loyalty and fearlessness make it impossible not to. That he has not been able to get back in the side is no fault of his own and i could not see him wanting to be 'given' a game through anything other than merit. Juniors excellent post on this thread outlines the difficulties he faces with the development of the game today and also highlights that he is no walk up replacement for Max next year as he has not got Max's closing speed. As for his uncle pumping up his tyres in the last year of his contract i have absolutely no problem with that. Of course i would love to see Goose playing and starring in our seniors but if it is not to be and he takes a contract elsewhere i for one would not be one of the knuckleheads booing him when he plays against us.

Are you gonna be the one?
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

IMHO this is simple s*** stirring by a guy who wants to get his name in the newspaper.

Nothing more

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Gia brought it up on TFS last night, said there would be plenty of clubs interested (including the Dogs) if Matt wasn't happy at the Saints. Dal replied that when you read the article, you realise that Matt didn't actually say anything...

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Perfect match for the Dogs, you'd think.

reincarnated

Thinline wrote:Perfect match for the Dogs, you'd think.
Another bit's and pieces tall with baggage or not quite there as a dominant player or injury concerns

Can the dogs just identify a better option?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
CaptainReiwoldt wrote:Saying all this I wuld rather see Matty Maguire holding up the cup on 26tth september 2009 rather than a dawson or even a ray for that matter. he is an original been fighting for the saints since 2001.

I'd rather see the best 22 olding up the cup. Don't care what their names are TBH.
Goose has done nothing yet to earn a recall, or a grand final appearance IMO.
so would i

don't care who is playing on the day. aslong as its the saints and we are holding up the cup

matrix
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

The stability of an undefeated senior team that has only used 26 players and is experiencing its best ever start to a season is clearly not helping Maguire get an opportunity, but Lyon said down the track he could still be a very important player.

“The team is obviously playing very well, but it’s not only Matt waiting for an opportunity,â€

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

[quote]Max [Hudghton]... we envisage it will probably be his last year. We see Matt as a tall defender that’s valued, and we know other clubs are watching him, but he’s clearly stated he’s a St Kilda person and that he’d like to stay here,â€

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

mat's not going anywhere...

"We won't let Maguire down: Saints coach

June 27, 2009

ST KILDA coach Ross Lyon says the Saints won't leave defender Matt Maguire on the scrapheap, despite a run of injuries Lyon describes as "horrific".

Maguire has played just 14 games in the past two seasons and, despite impressive form in the VFL this year, he has been unable to break back into a solid back line. His past few years have been soured by a broken leg in 2006 as well as stress fractures and a separate broken bone in the same foot last year.

Lyon said yesterday Maguire was still a part of the side's plans but he would not alter a successful combination without good reason.

"He's playing quite good football in the VFL. He's carrying himself really well Monday to Friday," Lyon said.

"He's continually improving his body after what is a well-documented and horrific (leg) injury and it has taken time.

"The team is obviously playing very well — and there's not only Matt waiting for opportunities. I've got David Armitage and Jack Steven and Raph Clarke in the seconds.

"There are a number of players in the same position who are fighting to get a spot in the seniors. (But) while players keep delivering, I'm just not going to make changes for the sake of it."

Lyon said the club made a special effort to ensure those on the sidelines remained motivated.

Veteran Max Hudghton is set to retire at the end of this year and Lyon said the club saw Maguire as an important tall defender in their future plans.

Meanwhile, former West Coast ruckman Michael Gardiner, whose career has been rekindled at St Kilda, if blighted by injury, will play his 150th game against Richmond tomorrow."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
PJ
SS Life Member

Saying all this I wuld rather see Matty Maguire holding up the cup on 26tth september 2009 rather than a dawson or even a ray for that matter. he is an original been fighting for the saints since 2001.
Players don't choose where they are going, they are drafted and usually bond with their team mates. If they had a choice Goddard would be at the blues and Fevola would be at St.Kilda. They are professional footballers not marxist revolutionaries.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.